So what's the best way to remove micro braids??

KaramelDiva1978

I haven't had micros in 3 years because once my hair grew out, I was able to just wear my own in wraps and roller sets. I did my BC in May and got tired of minimal styling options in July and got my hair braided. Its been 5 weeks and I MISS my hair. I need to take down my braids bc my gray baby hairs look busted :lachen:, some of my braids are really small and I don't want to lose any hair AND some of them are already coming out. I want to start tonight and need to finish take down by Saturday to have my hair twisted on Sunday at 12 noon.

Any advice? The braided hair is human.

If your hair is really short, lots of cond, and the downward force of the shower will cause them to slip out.

If not, lots of patience and a rat tail comb.

KaramelDiva1978

Dang! I was hoping for a better way. My hair is about 3 inches long, so there's no such thing as "slip right out" esp with all the spritz and gel when they were put in. I've doused in conditioner, let me break out the rattail comb. Thank goodness I have about 3 days! I don't think I'll be doing these again anytime soon. No wonder it had been 3 years!!

Thanks ladies!

Nonie

Please don't use a comb. Use your fingers so you can feel your hair and know what you're doing. I have never used a comb to undo my braids, and they are fairly skinny. (I don't even apply anything. Just rent a movie and feel my way through the undoing. Goes by fast enough and no damage to my hair.)

Here's how I do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68_fk46rNk

It actually gets to be quite easy as you continue to do it. This is what my HIH disease is all about. It's a joy to undo a braid that's loose at the base and redo it more firmly. I can't help it if I am sitting down and not using my hands for anything else.

ETA: In the vid above, I'm only using one hand because the other hand is holding up the braid so I can keep it in view of he camera. Otherwise using two hands makes it go even faster.

Last edited: