Micro Braids on APL hair?

Keen

Hi Ladies!

I usually get box braids with the ends unraveled because of my hair length. I like the entire length to be braided so my ends are protected. I was just remembering how much I used to like the versatility of micro braids. I want some braids this summer. I don't want them too long because it's summer after all. I would like them only a little bit longer than my hair. I'm willing to use curly hair so I can moisturize my hair with the braids. I'd consider leaving my ends unbranded if someone can recommend a good regi.

Any style and/or hair recommendation (I'd appreciate some pictures)?

Lylddlebit

Once your hair is below apl and your still growing it. It can be hard to find human hair that is longer than your actual hair, but the synthetic hair will dry out your ends more than the human hair would. I personally would go for considerably long micro braids for a month or cornrows for 2 weeks if you want wear braids while taking care of your hair. Or if you want the loose ends look I would opt for the braided tracks in the back with singles around the first few rows in the perimeter to make it all look braided.

naturalTAN

Is it really protecting your ends if they're loose though? It's kind of defeating the purpose if you don't have them braided to the end.

rmwms

I am APL and I am getting micros on the 5th of June…they will braid all my natural hair. I have been wearing micros in the summer for years with my hair length and never had a problem…I keep them moisturized and I do not have a problem when I take them out.

classychic1908

I don't know any specific hair brands, but your local bss should have human braiding hair long enough to handle APL hair. I have had micros that were full MBL when my hair was BSB.

I would recommend braiding past your hair length to keep your ends protected. I would also let the braider know not to put knots on the braids. A good braider should be able to handle your length just fine. She/he may just charge you a bit more, because it will take longer to braid pass your own hair.

With longer hair, take down will be a pain though. You might need to enlist the help of a trusted friend.

Keen

I don't know any specific hair brands, but your local bss should have human braiding hair long enough to handle APL hair. I have had micros that were full MBL when my hair was BSB.

I would recommend braiding past your hair length to keep your ends protected. I would also let the braider know not to put knots on the braids. A good braider should be able to handle your length just fine. She/he may just charge you a bit more, because it will take longer to braid pass your own hair.

With longer hair, take down will be a pain though. You might need to enlist the help of a trusted friend.

Thanks. I'll stop by the beauty supply store to look for longer hair. I have the taking down down pack. I have three sisters and a mother.

rmwms

@rmwms

do you add hair or just braid your natural hair up? Also, do you have any pics of this style....:lick:

Yes...I add hair...the braid hair comes in different inches...I usually get 22 inches...and if the braider is good they know how to extend the hair... I'll try and find pictures where you can see my hair from the back.

i did box braids on my apl hair about 4 months ago , they werent exactly micro, but they were pretty small , i didnt add any hair . My hair is 4b so it look nice and full without synthetic hair. i didnt really do any parting or anything , it took about ten hours with breaks to put them in and it lasted about 2 months. I didnt band my ends but what i did do was gently finger comb them every night and spray them down with some infusium leave in and and baggie them for few hours every day, then i would smooth sallys one and only argan oil over the length of my braids, then i would tie my hair down at night and curl the ends with satin pillow rollers. My ends were okay after i took the braids out but they would have been really frayed if i hadn't moisturized and baggied them everyday.

Nayna

Unbothered
I did micros in February with synthetic hair. I braided them to right above my butt pretty much. My hair was past APL at that point but I like really long braids. I also dipped my ends in hot water so that they wouldn't unravel. I didn't have a problem with dryness and I moisturized it everyday with various things- but my go to was water and aloe vera juice. I'm sure you can find long human hair or the braider will just have to feed the hair in to give you a length long enough to pass your hair.

pdiop81

Nonie

Just want to mention that while I recommend braiding to the ends, I don't believe loose braids worn down have ends protected at all. Braiding past the ends of your hair does help keep it from tangling and therefore minimize breakage but the ends are still exposed if you're wearing your braids down and will wear away unless you're wearing your hair in a bun so ends are tucked away.

When you braid, the additional hair doesn't wrap around your own like a blanket protecting it on all sides from the elements but rather just sits side by side with it. So braids are really just a low manipulation style--which is indeed a good thing--but not a protective style...if we're talking about singles. Cornrows and weaves might offer more protection because your hair--most of your hair anyway--has its ends tucked away inside the cornrows.

I don't say this to discourage you coz I would get braids in a heartbeat too if I wanted to...but just didn't want you to mistakenly think ends are protected. They are kept safe from tangling but not protected from drying or friction if left out and down.

www.hisandher.com does have human hair between 28" and 30" which if you fold in half like I do, would give you 14" and 15" long braids. So if APL is a little shorter that that on your, that hair could work for you. Otherwise as has been stated, synthetic hair can come in longer lengths.

Last edited:

Keen

Nonie I understand braiding the ends doesn't necessarily protect them but I like that for the reason you mentioned. I can moisturize them without worrying about tangle as much.

classychic1908

www.hisandher.com does have human hair between 28" and 30" which if you fold in half like I do, would give you 14" and 15" long braids. So if APL is a little shorter that that on your, that hair could work for you. Otherwise as has been stated, synthetic hair can come in longer lengths.

Human hair can be extended for braiding so that you don't loose half the length. I don't know how to explain it in words, but it's really simple and anyone you'd pay to braid should know how to do so. The nearly WL braids that I had two summers ago, were done with curly human hair.