Wet bunning grow hair faster?

Did wet bunning improve hair? (length, thickness, health, etc?)

• Yes, wet bunning helped my hair

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No, wet bunning had no affect on my hair

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SingBrina

So I have been wet bunning and washing my hair every three days now. I used to wash at least every week and deep condition it. Sometimes if tired and I had no time I would go a little over a week to wash. Well I wanted to try this regimen with the oils and conditioner to wash with to see if it will help my hair grow faster than it does and make it healthier. How do you think adding this regimen effected your growth? Did it affect it? In what way did it affect? Grow longer, thicker, healthier, stop breakage? Any pics to go with that? Thanks :)

Triniwegian

Naw, In my experience it doesn't do anything to your growth rate.
It might retain length better because you keep your hair moisturized, but after being an avid wet bunner for almost 3 years, I will say my hair hasn't benefited from it, at least not in terms of lenght.

BlaqBella

I'm am still anewbie to the hair game imho. But when i started wet bunning (when i found the forum in 08') i was barely able to make a ponytail. At the time i was using a fake bun to cover the lack of a pony i had going on. Well 3-4 months later my hair had grown so fast (faster than it has in years) that i needed to get a bigger phony bun.
If i did't experience SO much Shrinkage now I would be wet bunning away...Because for me..IT WORKED.Btw. i had started a co-washing only regimen at the time.

ETA: I guess from everything i've learned here Conterria(sp?) is correct. It was more so retention than anything. But my hair made major leaps at the time.
I went from mini phony bun to reg. size phony bun to wearing my own confidently (enough) Mar.08'~about Aug.08'

Last edited:

hannan

:love: wet bunning!

I've been bunning my hair for years but I wondered why my hair never retained length. I'd seen my brothers do nothing to their hair and it'd grow longer than mine! :wallbash:

So in addition to not moisturizing and just having good hair habits in general, I made my buns too tight! My hair kept breaking off and now that I know better, I'm definitely making looser buns (tucking in the ends, of course) with plenty of moisture. Works like a charm now. :grin: It's only been a month but I can feel the retention. Is that weird? :rolleyes: I haven't length checked and don't plan to until Dec but it's doing wonders for retention. Hair always grows but it's retention that keeps the length.

Last edited:

Blessedmocha

:love: wet bunning!
Hair always grows but it's retention that keeps the length.

Thats all i needed to know.. Im staying bunned up till Dec :grin:..

Growth is vanity and retention is SANITY but Health is King!

As long as I have health and retention.. Its all cool :yawn:

NaturalBeauty<3

I'd definitely say it helped me retain better.

I did it for one summer straight, while I was still in highschool. I was a camp counselor, constantly outside in the sun, sweatin and running around with 5-12 year olds. It made no sense to straighten, (I was a straight natural) so all I did was shower, add ample conditioner, (I think it was the old herbal essence in the light pink bottle with the flowers :lachen:) rinse some out and loose bun. Had no idea that was cowashing.

Anyways, I remember by the end of the summer, when I decided to straighten again, I was about an inch or two from bra-strap length. I remember my entire family being amazed at the time it grew. Of course, It slowly went back to apl-sl range when I started using the flat iron again everyday and trimming an inch a month..but..uh....
:look:
The point is, lol, it worked for me. Matter of fact, its one of the main reasons I have absolutely no idea what length my hair is now. Its been in a bun all summer. :grin: Makin it til Dec., and bunning back up:yep:
Best retention I've ever had.
HTH, Love.

Last edited:

MegB29203

I'm gonna join in! Got my hair cut in layers - not too drastic, but visible nonetheless. And now...i want my long hair back. So, I'm gonna try to wet bun for the rest of the summer! Yay for retention :)

LaFemmeNaturelle

I don't think wet bunning will make your hair grow any faster. It was a style that allowed me to retain all of my length so if done correctly, it is good for retention. I wet bunned basically all of my transition up until 6 months post daily, with braidouts on the weekend.

MsLizziA

OOOO OOO OOO OO ME ME ME PICK ME! ~raises hand~

~everybody stops , stares at me and waits for me to say somethn relevant~

:hide:

Has anyone tried wet bunning with twist? Or just a wet pony with twist?

The reason i ask is because i go through hell tryna make buns.. ya know ya get the halo affect, then a lump here n a lump there n u have to start all over :whyme: n u start :pullhair: cuz u aggravated and getting :angry2: n just wanna :gotroasted: the person who got retention from this dumb a$$ idea but it doesn't seem to be working for u... yea all that

Anyway, i noticed at the beginning of my HHJ i washed my hair everyday n my hair grew like crazy so if i can bun in twist, that would be awesome to keep the SSKs away...

grow

i've read a few threads on water and growth/retention and there are mixed opinions.

many people sustain that it's keeping hair in contact with water, and thus, a super clean scalp, that keeps the pores and folicles free to grow, so that may make the growth appear to be faster (than before, or without so much contact with the water).

others say it's just the hair growing normally, but the low manipulation and "hands out of the hair" is what keeps it on the head instead of in the sink.

all i know for sure is that when i took the picture in my siggy on the left, i had just come to lhcf (jan.'10) and within a month or two of reading, i started wet baggy bunning (around feb.-march '10) and my hair grew "faster" than it ever has in my whole life.

the picture on the right of my siggy was taken right after my June 30th. perm, so everything below the line was grown and retained in 4-5 months.

so needless to say, as soon as i finished wrapping my hair straight to take that picture, (i don't use heat ever nowadays), my hair went right back up into a wet baggy bun, which is how it'll stay until i perm again this septmeber. so i don't have any other pictures for the moment...but in september.....we'll see....!

MsLizziA

i've read a few threads on water and growth/retention and there are mixed opinions.

many people sustain that it's keeping hair in contact with water, and thus, a super clean scalp, that keeps the pores and folicles free to grow, so that may make the growth appear to be faster (than before, or without so much contact with the water).

others say it's just the hair growing normally, but the low manipulation and "hands out of the hair" is what keeps it on the head instead of in the sink.

all i know for sure is that when i took the picture in my siggy on the left, i had just come to lhcf (jan.'10) and within a month or two of reading, i started wet baggy bunning (around feb.-march '10) and my hair grew "faster" than it ever has in my whole life.

the picture on the right of my siggy was taken right after my June 30th. perm, so everything below the line was grown and retained in 4-5 months.

so needless to say, as soon as i finished wrapping my hair straight to take that picture, (i don't use heat ever nowadays), my hair went right back up into a wet baggy bun, which is how it'll stay until i perm again this septmeber. so i don't have any other pictures for the moment...but in september.....we'll see....!
Ok so i spray my hair with glycerin and water every night and baggy with a shower cap overnight everynight. Is that along the same lines as wet bunning or wetting the hair everyday? I also baggy under my half wig which i will probably start wearing everyday

SingBrina

I'd definitely say it helped me retain better.

I did it for one summer straight, while I was still in highschool. I was a camp counselor, constantly outside in the sun, sweatin and running around with 5-12 year olds. It made no sense to straighten, (I was a straight natural) so all I did was shower, add ample conditioner, (I think it was the old herbal essence in the light pink bottle with the flowers :lachen:) rinse some out and loose bun. Had no idea that was cowashing.

Anyways, I remember by the end of the summer, when I decided to straighten again, I was about an inch or two from bra-strap length. I remember my entire family being amazed at the time it grew. Of course, It slowly went back to apl-sl range when I started using the flat iron again everyday and trimming an inch a month..but..uh....
:look:
The point is, lol, it worked for me. Matter of fact, its one of the main reasons I have absolutely no idea what length my hair is now. Its been in a bun all summer. :grin: Makin it til Dec., and bunning back up:yep:
Best retention I've ever had.
HTH, Love.

Thanks for the input! So you said that your hair was a inch or two close to bra strap, what was it before? And wow you were flat ironing everyday and trimming once a month, yeah thatll add the breakage. But hey itll all grow back!!!! Wooohooo!

SingBrina

I don't think wet bunning will make your hair grow any faster. It was a style that allowed me to retain all of my length so if done correctly, it is good for retention. I wet bunned basically all of my transition up until 6 months post daily, with braidouts on the weekend.

So I was wondering. I think wet bun would be better than a weave, what do you think!? I love my weaves a lot!!! But..... when its all said and done, I know I dont retain as much hair in those three months as I can another protective style, because my ends are crazy uneven and I cant cowash every three days because then I have to go through the labor of blow drying the weave and flat ironing it, so I stick to washing like once every two weeks... I know my hair would be healthier in wet bun then weave, hmmm so what do you think. This may be like one of those "duh" questions. See, I decided to wet bun for three months instead of weave for three months. When I weave my hair grows fast, but I gotta trim alot because of the thin ends look, or uneven because of the hair being tugged. thanks.

SingBrina

Excellent! Wow thanks girl for the info, nice growth! Wow! Hey, so what is the wet baggy bunning thing everyone is talking about, how do you do that?

newgrowth15

OOOO OOO OOO OO ME ME ME PICK ME! ~raises hand~

~everybody stops , stares at me and waits for me to say somethn relevant~

:hide:

Has anyone tried wet bunning with twist? Or just a wet pony with twist?

The reason i ask is because i go through hell tryna make buns.. ya know ya get the halo affect, then a lump here n a lump there n u have to start all over :whyme: n u start :pullhair: cuz u aggravated and getting :angry2: n just wanna :gotroasted: the person who got retention from this dumb a$$ idea but it doesn't seem to be working for u... yea all that

Anyway, i noticed at the beginning of my HHJ i washed my hair everyday n my hair grew like crazy so if i can bun in twist, that would be awesome to keep the SSKs away...

I am wet bunning with twists right now. It's great. I pull the twists back, put them in a ponytail, spray with peppermint water and seal with a shea butter/JBCO mixture. When I go out, I tuck my damp ends into a second ponytail holder at the end of my ponytail.

LaFemmeNaturelle

So I was wondering. I think wet bun would be better than a weave, what do you think!? I love my weaves a lot!!! But..... when its all said and done, I know I dont retain as much hair in those three months as I can another protective style, because my ends are crazy uneven and I cant cowash every three days because then I have to go through the labor of blow drying the weave and flat ironing it, so I stick to washing like once every two weeks... I know my hair would be healthier in wet bun then weave, hmmm so what do you think. This may be like one of those "duh" questions. See, I decided to wet bun for three months instead of weave for three months. When I weave my hair grows fast, but I gotta trim alot because of the thin ends look, or uneven because of the hair being tugged. thanks.

Yup wet bunning would be a great protective style for you. Just pay attention to your edges to make sure they are not coming out due to too much tension and pay attention to your bunning method and your ends because sometimes if you bun a certain way, your edges will break as well. And be sure to switch the position of your buns often and you should be a-okay!

grow

Ok so i spray my hair with glycerin and water every night and baggy with a shower cap overnight everynight. Is that along the same lines as wet bunning or wetting the hair everyday? I also baggy under my half wig which i will probably start wearing everyday

i'm not sure, but it sure sounds like it's good to do!
i think the only difference might be as to if you keep your scalp clean of debris in the interim or not. that's why i cowash daily, to make sure my scalp isn't carrying around yesterday's smog, prespiration, etc...

Excellent! Wow thanks girl for the info, nice growth! Wow! Hey, so what is the wet baggy bunning thing everyone is talking about, how do you do that?

thanks hun! everything i've been doing, i've learned on here. the wet baggy bun consists of making the bun while the hair is still wet from the shower (either by cowashing or even just rinsing with water is fine, just as long as it's clean), then making a bun and placing a plastic bag over the bun.
but there are many ways to do it. i make a loose ponytail, then cover my ponytail in conditioner/moisturizer, then seal it with oil, then i put a plastic bag over my ponytail and roll it in until it's at my scalp.
then i cover it with scrunchies, scarves and other hair toys like flowers, etc...

it's so fast, easy and good for your hair because you are protecting it from the elements and combs, brushes, hands, etc.
the heat from the sun can actually do it some good when it's wrapped up like that....it's like getting a dc with heat while going about your day!:yep:

in the summer, i've been making sure to keep the part that's not in the bun very well oiled, not only to help it lay flat (i use jbco), but also because like so, even that part gets a hot oil treatment while i'm going about my day. :yep:

ladies if you try it, your hair will thank you!

SingBrina

Yup wet bunning would be a great protective style for you. Just pay attention to your edges to make sure they are not coming out due to too much tension and pay attention to your bunning method and your ends because sometimes if you bun a certain way, your edges will break as well. And be sure to switch the position of your buns often and you should be a-okay!

You know, I just noticed last night when I was looking at the left side of my hair I had a tad bit of breakage, I am sure it is beacuse I pull my ponytail tooooo tight! Because it is so easy to get it tight when it is wet. So today I made it loose and it feels better too.... and yeah I will alternate the position of my bun! Thanks :)

brucebettye

I have had great retention since I started damp bunning. My hair is doing well and since I use wheat germ oil when I deep condition it makes bunning my hair so much easier since I am 10 months post relaxer and transitioning. This helps me from doing the bc sooner than I want to.

ebonylocs

No. It won't make your hair grow faster.

It might help you retain more length though, because your ends are moisturised and tucked in (protected). Some people have had great success with it, while others have not.

ebonylocs

Add to that the fact that it is a protective style - I would think that that is the most important thing that people would point out. There are people who have had great success with long-term bunning, without the "wet" aspect.

Caramel74

I've had great success with wet bunning. I BC'd my hair all one length to my shoulders and committed myself to moisturizing, sealing daily and keeping heat to a minimum. So all summer I cowashed my hair then moisturized with infusium leavin, sealed with argan oil and put my hair in a wet bun. I would take it down at night, allow it to be loose and dry, then repeat the regimen the next day. I retained all of my length and my hair grew to APL in 6 months. It was also thick, healthy and I had no split ends. I currently have my hair in a wet bun right now. I love not having to fuss with it and knowing it's moisturized, sealed, protected, and just growing and retaining while I'm doing nothing. I also can't stop touching my hair when it's down, so when it's back in a wet bun, I am not touching it either. Now that it's APL and shrinkage isn't as bad as it was, I've cut out flatironing except for once in a great while instead of once every two weeks or once a week. I do tension blowdrys with indirect heat after my hair air dry's to 60% and I don't blowdry the ends at all.

Last edited:

Daina

I've just recently started wet bunning so I don't know if it will help with retention but it is a good protective style for me. I have also started doing GHE as well which is nice with a wet bun also. I moisturize with water and avocado oil and then I seal with either Shea Butter, almond, or vatika hair oil.

Last edited:

Caramel74

I've just recently started wet binning so I don't know if it will help with retention but it is a good protective style for me. I have also started doing GHE as well which is nice with a wet bun also. I moisturize with water and avocado oil and then I seal with either Shea Butter, almond, or vatika hair oil.
It will help! :D And it's nice because the longer your hair gets the bigger your bun gets. It's also very nice to have a basically no manipulation no maintenance protective style. You get to start to enjoy and look forward to your conditioner washes too.