ARE you "Considering" going NATURAL?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

IF you are considering going natural......... BUT HAVE QUESTIONS?​

This thread is for you!!

Leave all of your QUESTIONS or NEEDS (on natural hair) at the ALTA
R!

disclaimer: the natural community is not a cult:look::nono:
....i think:lachen: .... I simply recognize a wealth of sources are available if you compile your questions

:spammer::spammer::spammer: :bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
you are cracking me up with these threads LOL. I plan on doing a very longgggg stretch!!! maybe a year or more. just so i can have BIGger hair.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

you are cracking me up with these threads LOL. I plan on doing a very longgggg stretch!!! maybe a year or more. just so i can have BIGger hair.

(i aim to please:drunk: .....girl i'm living like this was my last $6.50 on earth!!! :lachen::lachen:) i love your hair..... my sister fell off the train attempting to do a long transition.... i tried to explain to her the issues i've read here....but she insists her 3b/3c big headed arse can't transition b/c her hair tangles:lachen:

i'll be watchin your stretch... are you afraid of shedding? breakage? don't mess up that head lady!! I plan to learn from you

Last edited:

skegeesmb

Good luck on your stretch, I so wanted to make 16 months, I only made 10, but I'm glad I did. Since April, I've only flatironed my hair 3 or 4 times and hated it. Haven't done it since.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am when I reach hair long enough to do a pony tail. I plan to do a long transition from that point on.:yep:

BEAUTYU2U

off topic (as usually) .... i see use Organix, do you know why Rustic Beauty decided to stop? she mentioned she would explain later due to the ingredients but i never saw a follow up?????

:giggle: I should of known you were a RusticBeauty follower (lol) She did say something about the ingredients. I don't think it's anything harmful but she mentioned that she wanted to try more organic lines and Organix is not 100% organic.

I, however, am not too concerned about that. I mean I would like to be more organic but this stuff is a decent price and I can find in stores (no easy feat for a small town chick) so ... STAPLE :drunk:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

:giggle: I should of known you were a RusticBeauty follower (lol) She did say something about the ingredients. I don't think it's anything harmful but she mentioned that she wanted to try more organic lines and Organix is not 100% organic.

I, however, am not too concerned about that. I mean I would like to be more organic but this stuff is a decent price and I can find in stores (no easy feat for a small town chick) so ... STAPLE :drunk:

roflmao!!! y u say u shoulda known? rustic gate???:lachen::lachen:

BEAUTYU2U

LOL, nothing like that. I mean it seems we follow each other in posts, and products, so why not YT? (lol)

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
(i aim to please:drunk: .....girl i'm living like this was my last $6.50 on earth!!! :lachen::lachen:) i love your hair..... my sister fell off the train attempting to do a long transition.... i tried to explain to her the issues i've read here....but she insists her 3b/3c big headed arse can't transition b/c her hair tangles:lachen:

i'll be watchin your stretch... are you afraid of shedding? breakage? don't mess up that head lady!! I plan to learn from you

thanks alot!!! no im not afraid of shedding or breaking, my hair dont really do those things:look: my texlaxed texture hair is VERY close to my natural hair so it shoulldnt be a problem. :grin:

thanks so much for this compliment!!!:grin:

Lenee925

After being brutally honest with myself per jennboo's comments in another thread, I plan to continue my plan to transition to natural (I was considering texlaxing). I'm at 8 months post now.

Question: 1. How can I style the edges of my hair? 2. What is a good product to make the curls "pop"? activator gel?

Thanks

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
After being brutally honest with myself per jennboo's comments in another thread, I plan to continue my plan to transition to natural (I was considering texlaxing). I'm at 8 months post now.

Question: 1. How can I style the edges of my hair? 2. What is a good product to make the curls "pop"? activator gel?

Thanks

yup, activator gel and juice. then wrap a scarf around the edges. should be good to go after that.

lwilliams1922

is there a trick or magic potion to help tame roots?

flat twists and curl activator have helped A LOT but that inch at the roots always seem to have a mind of their own(dry frizzy).

Maybe I need to do more/smaller flat twists? Right now I do 5 (some times 4).

godzooki

I've been considering it off and on for about a yr now. I do plan to eventually down the road but I've decided that I need to finish reaching my goals first. My goal is to reach about 2 inches below bra strap. I'm cresting bra strap now so I think once I reach that 2 inch past mark and enjoy it for a while, I'll start stretching out my touch ups and eventually do a long term transition. I do not want to BC at all and it's one of the reasons I'm always on and off the fence. I also need to learn how to better care for that two texture period. I can make it easily to 12 wks but beyond that I start having issues. Especially keeping my new growth soft and moisturized and keeping my relaxed hair from becoming a tangled mess.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

is there a trick or magic potion to help tame roots?

flat twists and curl activator have helped A LOT but that inch at the roots always seem to have a mind of their own(dry frizzy).

Maybe I need to do more/smaller flat twists? Right now I do 5 (some times 4).

do you pay special attention to DC your roots? you see sylver2's old video of her 2mnth stretch?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I've been considering it off and on for about a yr now. I do plan to eventually down the road but I've decided that I need to finish reaching my goals first. My goal is to reach about 2 inches below bra strap. I'm cresting bra strap now so I think once I reach that 2 inch past mark and enjoy it for a while, I'll start stretching out my touch ups and eventually do a long term transition. I do not want to BC at all and it's one of the reasons I'm always on and off the fence. I also need to learn how to better care for that two texture period. I can make it easily to 12 wks but beyond that I start having issues. Especially keeping my new growth soft and moisturized and keeping my relaxed hair from becoming a tangled mess.

i advised my sister to cut at least 2 inches every 6-8 weeks

steam? i personally would consider installing braids when you get to your breaking point.

if no BC..... i would definitely definitely cut frequently!

surecutie

I really want to transition but I know I don't want to BC. My hair grows pretty slowly due to iron deficiency so it would be a 2+ year transition easily.

I don't do wigs or weaves at all and I'm wondering how I will style my hair aside from my daily bun? Even the bun is questionable because I work in a professional environment and I can't seem to slick my sides down anymore. I'm not trying to show up for meetings looking a mess because I can't handle the two textures.

BEAUTYU2U

I really want to transition but I know I don't want to BC. My hair grows pretty slowly due to iron deficiency so it would be a 2+ year transition easily.

I don't do wigs or weaves at all and I'm wondering how I will style my hair aside from my daily bun? Even the bun is questionable because I work in a professional environment and I can't seem to slick my sides down anymore. I'm not trying to show up for meetings looking a mess because I can't handle the two textures.

I didn't transition long at all - two months - but I usually wore my relaxed hair curled - ex. rollersets, curlformers, etc. - and while transitioning, I kept that up. It's easier to make the two textures look blended and you don't have to wear wigs/weaves.

dynamic1

I had a long-term transition (3+ years). I wore roller sets (varying sizes), flat twist outs, and buns in addition to straightening. The further into my transition, the less I straightened (too much work).

BostonMaria

Hairlab, I transitioned three years ago and I won't lie it was so tough and I hated every second of it.

Just know that its soooo worth it in the end!

FoxyMoxie

I definitely plan on transitioning at the beginning of 2011. First i want to take time to grow my nape and get my hair in the healthiest state I can. Since its growing back from a bob I would at least want it to be a certain length before trying this. During my transition I plan to braid my hair up and wear some fabulous wigs. I want to have a low manipulation reggie going on.

Yes, and I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I just took my braids out a couple of days ago, and my hair is already looking like a small afro :). There are a few texlaxed ends still though, not sure when I will cut them, but soon probably. One problem I have right now, is that I have so much shrinkage that it's difficult getting all my hair into a ponytail, and I can't even do a bun anymore :(. I can't really wear a wig either, cos it's too hot, so right now I will probably just opt for putting my hair into two ponytails, hopefully it'll look good. I really want a huge afro though, I don't know how long it'll take to grow but I'm sure it'll look so hot :grin:

dynamic1

Thanks

1. You have several choices here - embrace the crawl, moisture/gel, tie it down with a scarf (separately or any combo of the 3). It all depends on the texture and your preferred outcome. I wouldn't tie it down frequently because the tension can thin the edges.

2. This also depends on your texture. However, moisture and detangled hair is a good place to start. If your hair is properly conditioned, a good leave-in and styling product should suffice. Then there are technique choices. I prefer the less time intensive methods.

simplyconfident

thanx OP for this tread!!

i've tossed around the idea of going natural for a few years now and have offically started to transition....i'm super excited!! i've been doing a ton of google & youtube searching and almost feel overwhelmed with the information that's out there. my question besides LHCF, where is a great starting point for a newbie? any great blogs or fotki's i should stalk?