Natural 4b roller set - Pictures and tutorial

anon123

I replied to AfroKink's thread, but it reminded me that I had intended to make a separate thread about my great results. I used the flexible rollers like this:

I got them from Ebay for very very cheap. I got 2 boxes of flexible and perm rod rollers (at least 150 rollers) for $20, including shipping. I sat under a bonnet dryer. I have this one, which I do not recommend. That tube connecting the machine to the actual bonnet is too short and so it is very uncomfortable to use.

I detangled, washed, and twisted the hair up into sections. Then I would undo a twist, take a small section, use a towel to soak up some of the water so that my hair was only damp and not dripping wet, apply some coconut oil, and brush it with my Goody Add + Shine brush. Then I would roll them on a roller. Here's a YouTube video of how I roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVAoE5Sx3MA

Then I sat under the soft bonnet dryer. Then I took out the rollers. Here's a short video of me doing that:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3026348440046500029AACdXC

I took all the rollers out and separated some with my fingers. This is the result:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3057236910046500029PPCmKD

And for those that don't want to watch the videos (all under 3 minutes), here's a collage:

Uber

Nice, I like the fact that this was very simple. I like simple hairstyles and regimes. This is actually a rollerset tutorial I could muster up the will to follow. No need to buy fancy leave-ins etc. No disrespect to those who do use those. It's just that if I have to, I'd give up half way :)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
you are so pretty mwedzi, and your demeanor is so sweet on camera.
turned out gorgeous-so bouncy!!
wish i had the patience...

CocoGlow

OMG Mwedzi aka my hair twin LOL:grin:!!

That rollerset is soooo HOT! ... I LOVE it! I was drooling when you starting swinging your hair in the last vid ..so bouncy & full & so simple .. you look adorable!

You've definitely inspired me to try this in the future

I think that was a great tip about doing it on DAMP not soaking wet hair..who has time to sit under the dryer for hours? ... you proved that it will still set perfectly fine!

Question: Were your roots stretched out/smooth as well .. can't really tell from the pics/vid?

anon123

Thanks, everybody.

That looks great.

I may try that before I get my kinky twists at the end of the month.

Thanks. If you try, please post the results.

Nice, I like the fact that this was very simple. I like simple hairstyles and regimes. This is actually a rollerset tutorial I could muster up the will to follow. No need to buy fancy leave-ins etc. No disrespect to those who do use those. It's just that if I have to, I'd give up half way :)

Thanks. As time goes on, the simpler the better for me.

you are so pretty mwedzi, and your demeanor is so sweet on camera.
turned out gorgeous-so bouncy!!
wish i had the patience...

Thank you. I always feel little uncomfortable on camera :blush:, so thank you. I would say the whole thing, after detangling, takes about an hour or less to roll and an hour to dry. So not too long.

I think you are so cute Mwedzi :lol: Your hair looks beautiful.

Thank you, miss. I'm trying. :weird:

I'm going to try this sunday...Thanks!!! :hug2:

If you do, please post results.

Wonderful job lady.

Now, so can I get you to do mine? :sekret:

Sure thing. You just have to get here. I did Laurend's twists this past Sunday!

OMG Mwedzi aka my hair twin LOL:grin:!!

That rollerset is soooo HOT! ... I LOVE it! I was drooling when you starting swinging your hair in the last vid ..so bouncy & full & so simple .. you look adorable!

You've definitely inspired me to try this in the future

I think that was a great tip about doing it on DAMP not soaking wet hair..who has time to sit under the dryer for hours? ... you proved that it will still set perfectly fine!

Question: Were your roots stretched out/smooth as well .. can't really tell from the pics/vid?

Thanks. Yes, my roots were stretched out pretty well. You have to roll them as tightly as you can and as close to your scalp as possible. I'm tenderheaded, so it hurt a little bit to pull at my hair. But you kind of have to to get it stretched.

mscocoface

Guurrrrrrrl, as I say to my son don't TEST me! I will be in Chi-town faster than you can say rollerset! :lachen:

I will let you know when I hit that city again. Also why have laurend NOT shown us pics or did I miss that thread?

My hair is halfway in there. It is in long twists right now. If we don't get rain tomorrow I am going to try this. I don't know if I have enough of the curlers, but I do have some curlformers I have never tried before.

Last edited:

yamilee21

Your hair looks terrific! :yep:

The rollers you used... are the ones you used the biggest size? (The colours are really off on my monitor, so I can't tell which colours you used in the video.) I'm tempted to get some, but the biggest ones I see in the store only come 3 to a pack, and they don't look all that big.

anon123

Guurrrrrrrl, as I say to my son don't TEST me! I will be in Chi-town faster than you can say rollerset! :lachen:

I will let you know when I hit that city again. Also why have laurend NOT shown us pics or did I miss that thread?

My hair is halfway in there. It is in long twists right now. If we don't get rain tomorrow I am going to try this. I don't know if I have enough of the curlers, but I do have some curlformers I have never tried before.

Hey, come on down!

I don't know why laurend hasn't posted pictures. Her DH took a couple.

If you try it out, post pics.

Your hair looks terrific! :yep:

The rollers you used... are the ones you used the biggest size? (The colours are really off on my monitor, so I can't tell which colours you used in the video.) I'm tempted to get some, but the biggest ones I see in the store only come 3 to a pack, and they don't look all that big.

Thanks. I used some purple, which is the largest size I think. Also some orange which is the 3rd largest size. I also sometimes use blue, which is the 4th largest size.

anon123

I love your hair mwedzi!
Can you share the eBay seller?

Thanks. I tried to find the seller again, but can't. :( Maybe they aren't around any more. But I did a search for "flexi rods" and I got a lot of cheap results. Like 6 rollers for $2.

http://myworld.ebay.com/esthery/

I need at least 50 rollers, come to think of it, so buy at least 8 packs. Also, I saw some cheap perm rod sets. Like this one which is 84 rollers for $8.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hyman-VINTAGE-P...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aec277ac

I can use perm rods, too. But because you can't roll the hair in a spiral actually on the roller, you have to roll hair on top of itself. This makes it take a lot longer to dry.