Natural Roller Set Success [*PICS*]

RMichelleM

i finally did my first roller set on my natural hair and im happy with the results :). i didn't think it would work out without using a gel or heavy styler (like curly pudding), but it did--i didn't want to use either because i've never like putting gel all over my hair and i thought cury pudding would take too long to dry...on to the pics:

what i used:

- setting spray-- i mixed a *little* burt's bees super shiny conditioner and *little* ultra sheen setting lotion with water
- straightening balm-- smooth 'n shine's "silk 'n sleek" straighten butter
- 48 1.5inch rollers lol and 2 small rollers because i was all out of big rollers
- babbyliss pro thremal ionic hood dryer

what i did:

- saturated my hair with the setting spray
- smoothed on some straightening butter to each section before rolling
- rolled my hair using small sections to allow faster drying and a smoother set
- sat under the dryer for 2 hours--idk i had to sit for two hours but i wanted to be sure that my hair was COMPLETELY dry
- after drying, let rollers COOL OFF then took them out
- separated each curl with FINGERS; i've seen results after combing natural roller sets and it is usually frizzy/puffy so i opted against combing
- i flat ironed only the front of my hair to get some of the volume out and to smooth it back

Last edited:

melissa-bee

That looks good. I was gonna give away my roller because i was going natural but i might keep them now. Do you know what your hair type is?

likewtr4chklit

I love your results. I never thought of using straightening balm for a smoother set, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting!

RMichelleM

That looks good. I was gonna give away my roller because i was going natural but i might keep them now. Do you know what your hair type is?

thank you :) my hair is type 4a...i don't remember what product i have in it in the picture at the top but my hair doesn't shine that much after it is completely dry; but the pic shows my curl pattern. after my hair dries it's fluffier.

KiSseS03

That is so pretty! Roller-sets were one of the reasons I went back to relaxed after being natural in 06-07; glad to see it come out so pretty on type 4 hair. I will definitely be trying this when I'm fully natural again :)

Miss*Tress

well, i just did it last night so i'll see how long i can keep it up.

i haven't fully thought through how im going to maintain this at night other than covering it lol...any suggestions?
Your hair came out really pretty. Try pincurling at night to maintain the style.