BSL & longer? Post your reggie & tips here!

LadyPaniolo

When I was a newbie I stalked long haired ladies for reggie info and any tips they might have. That helped me to formulate my own regimen and to tweak it when it wasn't working well.

I'd like to create a database for newbs and everyone else as well to use as a reference guide. I'd like BSL ladies to come and post so we can compile what reggie they use and any special little tips, advice and tricks of the trade too.

LadyPaniolo

Here's a rough template:

Current length:

Hair type:

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?:

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey?

What is your reggie?:

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned?

LadyPaniolo

Here's a rough template:

Current length: MBL

Hair type: 4a

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: about 2/3 texlaxed, the rest natural.

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 3 years

What is your reggie?: I stick to hardcore protective styling, primarily using C&G braids and wigs. I rarely use shampoo, but when I do it's the Sally's GVP Mild Redkin poo. I use henna to cover greys every few months, and Aphogee 2 step every 6-8 weeks as of late. Almost never use heat. I take biotin & b-complex w/prenatal vits daily, I've just added gelatin to that as well. I also make sure to sleep with a scarf/du-rag/bonnet on a satin pillowcase every night, and to keep my hair totally covered while outside in winter.

• If your hair is cornrowed up you won't be as tempted to play in it.
  • Heat is not MY friend. I only rarely use it.
  • My trademark... I apply Kenra MC to wet hair in tiny sections, then immediately seal with something heavy... I think coconut oil is best, with shea butter, cocoa butter or cheap grease as alternatives.

My answers are in pink.

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

BUMP! Nobody wants to share their reggie? Think back to when your hair was short and you wanted to know what poster XYZ did to get such growth and retention....

Toy

Current length:Grazing Hip Length

Hair type:4b

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?:Relaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? Total 3 1/2 to 4 yrs

What is your reggie?:Condition wash/deep condition 2x times a week under a heat cap,on Wednesday for about 30 mins on Saturday 1hr i use all different types of conditioners,Joico,Wen,Aussie,Ors,Mane & Tail

No Shampoo,No Direct heat unless checking Length

Moisturizers,Qhemet root burdock butter,Qhemet Olive & Honey Balm,S-curl,Proline Softner Moisturizer,Hairveda Whipped Ends

special tips, advice or tricks have you learned?[/QUOTE]
Moisture,Moisture,Moisture,Protect those ends,stay away from the Direct Heat!!!

LadyPaniolo

Thank you for posting. I'll admit, I hope to use this thread not only as a reference for newbies to learn from, but also for myself!

*CherryPie*

Hi Toy

your hair is beautiful!

Question:

I see that you don't shampoo. Do you use any products containing cones or anything that causes builup? And do you ever clarify?

What is your reggie?:Condition wash/deep condition 2x times a week under a heat cap,on Wednesday for about 30 mins on Saturday 1hr i use all different types of conditioners,Joico,Wen,Aussie,Ors,Mane & Tail

Moisturizers,Qhemet root burdock butter,Qhemet Olive & Honey Balm,S-curl,Proline Softner Moisturizer,Hairveda Whipped Ends

special tips, advice or tricks have you learned?
Moisture,Moisture,Moisture,Protect those ends,stay away from the Direct Heat!!![/QUOTE]

Jazzlyric

special tips, advice or tricks have you learned?
Moisture,Moisture,Moisture,Protect those ends,stay away from the Direct Heat!!![/QUOTE]

I noticed that you are in AZ as I am too . You dont shampoo. How do you combat the hard water build up ?

Toy

Hi Toy

your hair is beautiful!

Question:

I see that you don't shampoo. Do you use any products containing cones or anything that causes builup? And do you ever clarify?

[/QUOTE]

Thank you,I really cant say for sure if i use cones or not i cant check my products right now @ work,I clarify once or twice a month when i think my scalp needs to be cleaned,I use baking Soda or Apple cider Vinegar

HTH

LadyPaniolo

I don't know what Toy specifically does, but baking soda is a great way to handle hard water. Just scrub the scalp gently with it and rinse.

ETA: lol, Toy and I posted at the same time!

Toy

I noticed that you are in AZ as I am too . You dont shampoo. How do you combat the hard water build up ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah,im here in the Desert,no shampoo for me,you know to be honest i dont even pay attention to the Water use on my hair,but my body i do notice the dryness.

testimony777

Nice thread :yep:.

Hair type: 3b/c

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: Natural

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? I cut my hair into a TWA in December of 06. I started growing it out in Feb of 07 so almost three years.

What is your reggie?:
Shampoo:
Products: Coconut Oli, Olive Oil, Kinky Curly Come Clean, Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner)
I shampoo my hair with Kinky Curly Come Clean once a week. Before washing I apply coconut oil and olive oil as a pre poo. I pre poo for about 30 mins before washing (sometimes longer depending on what I am doing).

I shampoo only my scalp and I apply a conditioner to my end to further protect them from the shampoo.

Deep Condition:
Products: Aubrey Organics GPB, Eggs, Honey, Vegetable Glycerin, Peppermint Oil, Rosemary Oil, Henna (once a month).
I deep condition once a week with a mix of my favorite conditioner (Aubry Organics GPB), one or two eggs, honey and vegetable glycerin, pepermint oil, and rosemary oil. I apply my mix, cover with a plastic cap and allow it to sit for at least 30 mins.

Once a month instead of using this mix as my DT I do a henna treatment.

Co-washing:
Products: Aubrey Organics GPB
In addition to my once a week shampoo I also do a co wash in the middle of the week (sometimes more depending on what I am doing with my hair and how it feels). I use my AO GPB.

Leave-in:
Products: Coconut oil
I use coconut oil as my leave in. I apply it after washing.

Styling:
Products: KCKT, KCCC
Currently I am wearing PS so after washing and applying my coconut oil I put my hair is some kind of bun. When i wear a wash and go I apply Kinky Curly Knot Today in the shower and then apply the Curling Custard using the curlisto method. I diffuse to about 80% dry and air dry the rest of the way.

Moisturizing:
Products: Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Rosemary Oil, Coconut Oil
I moisturize twice a day (morning and night) using a home made mix of water, vegetable glycerin and rosemary essential oil (one part glycerin to eight parts water and 2-3 drops of rosemary oil). I use coconut oil to seal. However I don't seal at night; I just spray, put my hair in a braid, and cover with my satin cap.

- Less is more when it comes to hair care.
- Coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, are like gold (they are for my hair at least) :yep:.
- Sleeping in a satin bonnet and/or sleeping on a satin pillow case really helps.
- There is a steep learning curb to using KCCC and KCKT, but once you get it the products are really great! Using them has allowed me to wear wash and gos without getting single strand knots.

LadyPaniolo

@ Lady and Toy: Do you guys moisturize between washes? If so, w/what?

Yes, I sure do. When my hair is braided up, I aim to moisturize daily.. but sometimes it ends up being 3x or 4x per week instead. :yep:

I have a mixture in my handy spray bottle that I grab and use. Right now mine contains a third water, one third Infusium 23 leave-in, and braid spray. Now that I have gotten my goody box from Puritans, I'll be adding aloe vera juice into the mixture, probably replacing half the water with aloe juice.

:yay: Thank you Testimony777 for posting your reggie here! You have gotten amazing growth! ITA w/you about the coconut oil and the sleep bonnet! :yep: I had forgotten to put that in my original post... but I religiously protect my hair at night.

Last edited:

PrincessLinzz

Thanks OP! I would find this thread extremely helpful as I do not have a regimen and need to figure out what works and what doesnt.

LadyPaniolo

Thanks OP! I would find this thread extremely helpful as I do not have a regimen and need to figure out what works and what doesnt.

your hair is looking quite fabulous already! I can't imagine getting such awesome results with no reggie! You must be doing something right.

testimony777

Yes, I sure do. When my hair is braided up, I aim to moisturize daily.. but sometimes it ends up being 3x or 4x per week instead. :yep:

I have a mixture in my handy spray bottle that I grab and use. Right now mine contains a third water, one third Infusium 23 leave-in, and braid spray. Now that I have gotten my goody box from Puritans, I'll be adding aloe vera juice into the mixture, probably replacing half the water with aloe juice.

:yay: Thank you Testimony777 for posting your reggie here! You have gotten amazing growth! ITA w/you about the coconut oil and the sleep bonnet! :yep: I had forgotten to put that in my original post... but I religiously protect my hair at night.

Your growth has been extremely impressive; all that growth in just three years :notworthy. Your hair is so beautiful :yep:.

LadyPaniolo

:blush3: Thanks! I have gotten kinda lazy this past year, but I'm :armyhat: buckling down to really push it to the max this year! :gorgeous:

I'll be mining this thread for tips on how to grow and retain even more :yep:

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
Thanx ladies! Im definately subscribing to this thread. Im curious to see if ANYONE has kept MN as a staple in their reggie for growth cuz I wanna try it but just like dieting, dont do the quick fixes w/o long term potential...

LadyPaniolo

Hmm... in the Hip Length challenge (posters are WL or MBL) not one poster mentioned MN. In my years on LHCF, I have noticed that the ladies with the longest hair have the shortest reggies.

schipperchow1

Here's a rough template:

Current length: MBL/WL

Hair type:3C

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?:Natural w/some old highlights & old henna

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 4yrs

What is your reggie?:
I no longer have a "reggie" I used to wash & roller set weekly before my HHJ until I started doing WnGs.

General guidelines:
Warm weather:
Rinse daily & leave conditioner in
Style - WnG, bun or banded pony

Cold weather:
More frequent DC (always combine protein & moisture) too much moisture leaves my hair weak
Roller set - maintain w/ various natural oils (coconut, olive, jojoba) or Vatika

• If chemicals, no heat, if heat, no chemicals. I have never used a lot of heat on my hair which allowed me to experiment with it a lot in the past.
  • Pay attention to your hair...I don't really have a regiment because I go by feel...if it feels dry, I do more moisturizing treatments, if it feels weak, I do more protein.
  • Don't be quick to take other people's advice/comments. I used to leave cholesterol conditioner on my hair when I was younger but someone said leaving conditioner in the hair weakens the strands so I stopped...now I generally leave some form of conditioner in my hair...Moral of the story, stay with works for your hair.
  • Oils aren't bad...I didn't use oils in my hair for years... started back w/jojoba & later coconut. I think they are great for sealing in moisture & smoothing the cuticle.
  • Be thankful for the hair on your head.

LadyPaniolo

Thank you schipperchow1!!! You have an excellent point about taking other people's hair advice as gospel. What works for one person may not work for another. And lots of people's hair is jacked up anyway.

For years I listened to conventional advice not to wash too often, grease your scalp, etc. And my hair looked a hot stankin mess. :nono: :cry3:

I started my HHJ with jocking off of a long hair diva on LHCF, but I have kept tweaking and adjusting to suit my own hair's needs as well. Still, most of my reggie came directly from Chicorro! :)rosebud: to her!)

schipperchow1

Thank you schipperchow1!!! You have an excellent point about taking other people's hair advice as gospel. What works for one person may not work for another. And lots of people's hair is jacked up anyway.

When I was younger I didn't realize that some people may be haters or just :blah: to seem important. Now I know to just disregard them & their comments

For years I listened to conventional advice not to wash too often, grease your scalp, etc. And my hair looked a hot stankin mess. :nono: :cry3:

Trust me...I've had the hot stankin mess many times...
:hair: :nono:

I do like to use natural oils w/herbs &/or essential oils though on my scalp for massaging, esp in the winter since I don't wash or rinse as often.

I started my HHJ with jocking off of a long hair diva on LHCF, but I have kept tweaking and adjusting to suit my own hair's needs as well. Still, most of my reggie came directly from Chicorro! :)rosebud: to her!)

Chicorro is definitely one of my hair inspirations :yep: She was the first one that I saw who used the seal & baggy method. I tried it for a bit but no longer use the baggy because my hair tends to need more protein than moisture.

brittle_hair

This is a brilliant thread - definitely subscribing! It appears that most of you long hair ladies have taken about 3 years to get to where you are, which is a good reminder of the fact that growing long hair doesn't happen over night for most people, so us shorter haired ladies shouldn't give up too soon.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Here's a rough template:

Current length: WsL, only when really stretched.

Hair type: I dont know, the kinkyest:ohwell:

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: natural

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 2.5 years

What is your reggie?: moisturize with care free curl, wash every 4 days, protein DC every 4 days, only co wash, almost never shampoo. aphogee every 3 weeks.

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned? just do the basics. i ps 100% of time, if that counts as a trick. i air dry.

dachsies_rule!

Hair type: 4z :lachen:

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?

Relaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey?

7 months

What is your reggie?

Wash and DC once a week with Mizani products (pre-poo with EVOO), protein every 4-6 weeks, moisturize daily with Mizani Butter Rich and seal every 2-3X a week with oil. Relaxer every 6-8 weeks depending on new growth.

No direct heat, air-drying is the best for length retention. Sleep with 100% silk scarves on satin pillowcase, cotton will break off your ends while you sleep!