Want to grow hair, get your internal heat up

sunshinelady

Ever notice that people with slow-growing hair tend to be cold-natured and have low body temperatures while people with fast-growing hair tend to be hot to the touch? Always wonder why men's hair grows faster than women's hair? Wonder why your hair grows faster when you work out more or when you go to a hot climate? There's a reason, but it's not found in western medicine.

In Chinese medicine, there is something called coldness syndrome. This affects many women and there is very little material about it in English. You can be constitutionally cold (you were born that way) or conditionally cold (you became that way through repeated environmental insults). Constitutionally cold people are very hard to change, you would need to work on your diet, sleep enough, work out vigorously, take supplements, see a qualified doc, etc. Conditionally cold people need to correct any underlying illness that allowed cold into their bodies (may be from childhood), find out which organs are weak, and make a point of never allowing themselves to get cold. That means no AC, keeping something warm handy, not stripping down to your skivvies every time it gets above 70 degrees, not walking barefoot. Acupuncture can help address the organ weaknesses and close the path that let the coldness in your body.

One of the biggies, don't drink cold beverages, not even room temperature if you can avoid it. It doesn't need to be hot, but it needs to be warm. And, no cold or raw foods. Sorry ladies, but no raw foods until you have addressed your coldness. You also need to sweat regularly to help get the coldness out of your body. If you are extremely cold, you need to move somewhere warmer.

Guess what, the growth aids we use, hot herbs. Sulfur spontaneously combusts under the right conditions.

This is much bigger than hair, if you are cold, it slows everything down. You may have digestion issues, multiple sclerosis, joint issues, general achiness, menstrual issues (your uterus is very sensitive) and it can keep you from getting pregnant.

Hope this helps someone. :yep: If you're just slightly cold, you may be helped by changing your diet and upping your activity levels. If you are very cold, you may want to consult a trained Chinese medicine doctor or acupuncturist to seek assistance.

The diet that was recommended to me, was hot foods, mainly vegetables (never raw) and lamb. Garlic, ginger, lemon in hot water, leafy greens, etc. Raw ladies, if you want avoid killing your food, just stir-fry. No cold or room temperature anything.

ETA: I'm not a doc, please find a qualified doc if you really want to address underlying issues.

Last edited:

countrychickd

This is a very interesting post. I'm usually very hot natured and my hair does seem to grow somewhat fast. This definitely seems to hold some truth. Thanks for sharing.

JustKiya

Very interesting! I'm definitely cold natured! Ahh, but to find a good TCP in the DirrtyDirrty? That'll be interesting! :lol:

Denise11

People always tells me that I feel so good and warm. And my hair grows pretty fast, especially in summertime. Hey! Summer is coming soon!

secretrose

I'm always cold and I have terrible digestive issues. Interesting. But to combat I am always infront of a heat warmer, i sleep in heated blankets every night, I take hot showers(even in the summer), i use a fan(no AC). My hair grows very fast so all these things I do might be combatting my coldness.

Denise11

I'm always cold and I have terrible digestive issues. Interesting. But to combat I am always infront of a heat warmer, i sleep in heated blankets every night, I take hot showers(even in the summer), i use a fan(no AC). My hair grows very fast so all these things I do might be combatting my coldness.

Wow! I guess you proved that we can counteract the coldness.

beans4reezy

Great information! I am Haitian and my mom used to embrace this logic. If she had pain, there was a coldness in her body. And she used to scream at us for walking aroung barefoo. It would make sense that hair growth would follow in this same pattern.

kelkel

hmmmm..... could western medicine just categorize it as being anemic ? I have anemia and I am always cold.... my feet at any given time can feel like ice and I have several of those issues you listed......and of course, my hair grows really slow.

Denise11

Great information! I am Haitian and my mom used to embrace this logic. If she had pain, there was a coldness in her body. And she used to scream at us for walking aroung barefoo. It would make sense that hair growth would follow in this same pattern.

My boyfriend does the Same thing. He says he feels cold spots on my body when I'm sick. His dad taught him things like this.

Odd One

hmm very interesting info im not really a cold person BUT tend to get cold quickly.. but i also had anemia in the past:ohwell:(might still do)

Is this an Haitian thing? lol i remember we would get our booty whooped for that too!:blush: they kept saying it would give us "vente fè mal" !

Soliel185

I am always cold, but people say I'm hot to touch - like I'm radiating heat. I think my hair grows pretty fast as well...so maybe having coldness in your body isn't necessarily the same as feeling cold?

I cannot be hot enough - I love to lay in the sun, get under blankets, cozy up in multiple layers - I even moved to arizona to get more of the heat! I figured my extra melanin required more Vitamin D, and thus more sunlight. :look:

Denise11

hmmmm..... could western medicine just categorize it as being anemic ? I have anemia and I am always cold.... my feet at any given time can feel like ice and I have several of those issues you listed......and of course, my hair grows really slow.

You may be on to something. Anemia can cause your hair to grow slow.

againstallodds

Is this an Haitian thing? lol i remember we would get our booty whooped for that too!:blush: they kept saying it would give us "vente fè mal" !

It most definitely is!!!:yep: My mother still screams that at me!! :yep:

Last edited:

Sui Topi

I wish I could move somewhere warm. It was always my plan, but life caught up with me. I used to always be cold too, but I am not sure where I stand lately. I've been kinda in the middle these past couple of months.

LoveLiLi

Maybe I'm an anomaly, because my hands are like ice and people freak out when I touch them, but people like to cuddle me because my body is warm.

When I'm in the car with someone my side gets foggy and their side is normal so I'm hot in general. Yet, I'm a slow-grower. :ohwell:

sunshinelady

Anemia is a little different. You don't have to be cold in order to have anemia.

^No, you aren't an anomaly, what you describe is possible. That imbalance is called something else.

sunshinelady

hmm very interesting info im not really a cold person BUT tend to get cold quickly.. but i also had anemia in the past:ohwell:(might still do)

That means "bad wind" right? That's exactly how a wind coldness is described in Chinese med too. Fascinating.

NubianQueen

OMG! Thanks so much for this information!

I recently figured out that my hair grows faster when I consistently work out. Faster as in .5" per month, currently it takes almost three times as long! :cry3:

I live in the desert and so I am cold all of the time due to air conditioners. I always carry a coat with me and try to stay warm. I will try to keep even warmer with more clothes and your suggestions.

Room temperature water is what I live on, almost three quarts per day! Now I have to figure out how to increase the temperature, although I do not like warm water, I will have to drink it for the sake of my 'condition.'

It takes a LOT for me to sweat, but I will work on finding activities to rectify that situation. :rolleyes:

Regarding the sulfur, does that mean that hair will sprout out of my head from the combustion?

No more salads? I was eating one daily at work. Oh well, I need to keep it hot. I do take a ton of supplements and drink my green foods.

I definitely do not get enough sleep and I stopped working out a year ago due to some mysterious illness that I kept using as an excuse to not exercise.

This may be the missing link to my attaining long tresses. Now, if I can figure out how to stop my hair breakage, the combination will have me at MBL in two years instead of 100!

sunshinelady

OMG! Thanks so much for this information!

I recently figured out that my hair grows faster when I consistently work out. Faster as in .5" per month, currently it takes almost three times as long! :cry3:

I live in the desert and so I am cold all of the time due to air conditioners. I always carry a coat with me and try to stay warm. I will try to keep even warmer with more clothes and your suggestions.

Room temperature water is what I live on, almost three quarts per day! Now I have to figure out how to increase the temperature, although I do not like warm water, I will have to drink it for the sake of my 'condition.'

It takes a LOT for me to sweat, but I will work on finding activities to rectify that situation. :rolleyes:

Regarding the sulfur, does that mean that hair will sprout out of my head from the combustion?

No more salads? I was eating one daily at work. Oh well, I need to keep it hot. I do take a ton of supplements and drink my green foods.

I definitely do not get enough sleep and I stopped working out a year ago due to some mysterious illness that I kept using as an excuse to not exercise.

This may be the missing link to my attaining long tresses. Now, if I can figure out how to stop my hair breakage, the combination will have me at MBL in two years instead of 100!

Glad you found the information useful, but don't go overboard without going to a qualified doc. I'm not a doc. No, sulfur doesn't grow hair by combustion. :lachen:I just noted it because it is hot by its nature.

locabouthair

Hmm, lets see..

I am always cold.
I dont get enough sleep.
My hair grows super slow. I never get the summer growth spurt unless I go to Miami or somewhere humid.

Blessed_Angel

This must explain why my hair grows so fast. I can't stand cold...and my body is so hot that DH can't stand to touch me sometimes (well, except when coloring :grin:)....especially in the summer, my body is hot. My dd is the same way, if I'm chilly at him, I'll cling to her for body heat.

With that being the case, I'll be sure to sleep with my scarf on again to keep my head warm.

Great info, SL, gave me another way to look at growing hair!

Thanks for sharing! :grin: