WINTERIZE Your Hair - Post Your Best Tips For Winter Care

Windsy

Ladies, it is getting cold!!!!

I was wondering what are your tips for winterizing your hair. If you have any, please post them here so others may benefit.

I'll go first:

TIP: Wear a Hat whenever you will be out in the cold for a long period of time. Ensure that the hat you choose has a satin or silk lining, similar to what you wrap your hair with at night.

nappity

Protect your ends. Jamaican Black Castor oil absorbs well!!. Play hide your ends for the three months by braiding, baggying, and using satin pillowcases and hair wraps.

silverlotus

- Do an extra d/c session during the week, if you can.

- Add oils to your d/c for a moisture boost.

- Get a humidifier to combat the dry heated air in your home. Alternatively, wear your scarf around the house.

- Do not skimp on moisturizer or oils. Coconut oil is supposed to be good for protecting the hair.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
To add to the wool coat comment, be careful of the winter scarves too- they can pull at and break your hair off too. A trick that I did with my daughter and her wool coat (and winter scarf) I bought one of those BIG satin scarves from the BSS, she puts it on first, then her coat and scarf. I make sure that the satin is between her hair and the coat and scarf. And, we wear our hair up while we have our coats on.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Put your hair up in a claw clip while you are wearing your coat. When you get to where you are going take it out and let your hair down. When the coat goes on, the hair goes up.

Barbara

Princess
For me it's oil the hair thoroughly and more often than once a week; but in Los Angeles, the weather is nice during the winter.

Chanteuse

These are excellent tips! I just got a weave b/c I could tell my hair was rubbing against my wool coat - not so much the ends but the back kitchen was rubbing on the collar and I was not trying have my progress deterred by that. I'll keep these tips in mind for when I take it out.

SEMO

Protect your ends. Jamaican Black Castor oil absorbs well!!. Play hide your ends for the three months by braiding, baggying, and using satin pillowcases and hair wraps.

Great tips. I have some castor oil under the sink I should be using, and doing box braidouts have been a cute low manipulation style for me.

tada1

whenever possible, wear your silk scarf under your wool hats. Afterall, if you work so hard to protect your nape from your coat, there is no reason to then cover your entire head with something made of a similar material...lol

i do this very often, or i just go ahead and baggy my entire head under the cutest hat you ever saw :lachen:

chebaby

i dont have a particular reg. for the winter but the best product i can use when its cold for styling and moisture is carols daughter hair balm. it's too heavy for me when its hot but i normally moisturize once in the morning and once at night but when i use this in the morning i can skip the night moisture. or hair balm by natural oasis. it has honey and smells really good:lick: