Using Megatek or OCT in braids? Harmful or not?

meka

Im getting braided up next week and wanted to start using OCT or Megatek. Is there anything I should know before using these products while Im in braids? I know Megatek is a protein product and I dont want my hair to have protein overload. Any suggestions? Thanks

Valerie

You can use Mega Tek/Ovation as a hair rinse, add a single drop of Mega Tek/Ovation to a 50 ml bottle, add conditioner, rosewater and glycerine, add a little water to mix the contents thoroughly, then add enough water to fill up the bottle, then put your hair in a hair net or stocking cap and put the mixture over your hair, then wrap your hair in a towel and keep on for 20 minutes, your hair will keep moist and it will help to strengthen your hair, also you can make a mega tek/ovation mix with aloe vera gel, castor oil and olive oil mix, but this is added to your scalp and hair roots only.

Aggie

I usually wear extension braids and I cease using aboth OCT and MT when I have them in. Personally, I am not comfortable using it with my braids but this is not to say it isn't safe. I couldn't be sure how well it comes out when I wash it out.

meka

You can use Mega Tek/Ovation as a hair rinse, add a single drop of Mega Tek/Ovation to a 50 ml bottle, add conditioner, rosewater and glycerine, add a little water to mix the contents thoroughly, then add enough water to fill up the bottle, then put your hair in a hair net or stocking cap and put the mixture over your hair, then wrap your hair in a towel and keep on for 20 minutes, your hair will keep moist and it will help to strengthen your hair, also you can make a mega tek/ovation mix with aloe vera gel, castor oil and olive oil mix, but this is added to your scalp and hair roots only.

I usually wear extension braids and I cease using aboth OCT and MT when I have them in. Personally, I am not comfortable using it with my braids but this is not to say it isn't safe. I couldn't be sure how well it comes out when I wash it out.

thanks so much ladies.

More responses would be helpful..Thanks ladies

Evolving78

i would just get an applicator bottle and apply it to my scalp a few times a week. i wouldn't use it as a cream rinse or dc with braids in fear of not rinsing it out enough causing buildup

kimmy89

I have kinky twist and i wash my hair every 4 days. i ordered by megatek and when it comes i plan to use it on my scalp everynight and wash on the 4th day. I have been taking garlic supplements because the ladies here say this helps to combat shedding, so perhaps u should look into that, also moisture! spritz braids daily. You can also use me as your guiney pig but i wont be using it until early to mid feb, so that i have enough build up of the garlic supplement.

Candycane044

When I had kinky twists I used MT on my scalp daily with no problems. I did this for about a month and a half. The key is to make sure your hair is getting moisturized as well.

Naturelle

I used Mt when I was in braids...no problems my hair was great actually caus everything else was moisture...just DONT use protein after cause you will have overlaod

I think this was my problem once I took out my twists..no need for protein treatment cause I was already feeing protein in the twists

As long was you apply it to the scalp you should be fine

genesis132

Hi
I wore kinky twists extension last year for almost 6 months and I still used OCT/MT. The key to my success was that I braided my own hair and could redo my twists at anytime to prevent matting. If you put too much product on your scalp it will matte.
Anyho'...here's my braid regi I copied from my fotki.

I put these in bc I needed a break from messing in my hair everyday. Plus, I want to focus on retention while in the OCT/MT challenge.

Benefits of Braids for Me:
---it easier to apply OCT on the scalp
---retain length
---I can redo any braid as needed to prevent product buildup or matting
---K.I.S.S

Washing/Conditioning:
---1x per wk, I take a capful of my beloved OCT Color Therapy 'Poo add water to a large cup and pour over my hair. Then gently squeeze the braids, massage scalp to loosen any dirt and then rinse out. That simple!
---Then I saturate by spritzing Nexuss Moisturizing Conditoner mixed with OCT Creme Rinse mixture. Rinse and leave a little conditioner in. That's It!
Special Note**I stop using the African Braid Spray mentioned in the CNG technique..it makes my hair sticky.

On Deep Conditioning Days:
---I saturate my braids with distilled water. Then apply AO Honeysuckle Rose to my entire head, focusing only on the length of the braid that includes my real hair (can't be wasting any product...he-he). I cover my entire head with a grocery bag, and then scarf.
---I left that sit on my hair for about 1-2 hours.
---Then I rinse but leaving some conditioner in as a leave in...That's It!

Daily:
---I use OCT daily on the scalp only since 6/16
---On 8/17 I began alternating MT and OCT on my scalp daily.

For Strengthening:
---Since buying MT, 1x per wk..I apply MT to my entire head for only 5 minutes....This is done on my shampoo day only.
---**Special Note*** Whenever I apply MT on my entire head, I ALWAYS make sure to DC the next day....THIS IS A MUST!!!!

Thx
~gen~

Last edited:

sweetmia22

i wanted to know if you guys are talking about the megatek rebuilder which products from megatek are you using. i going to do some breads next week and i want to try megatek but i'm not sure which one to buy. thanks

girlyprincess23

yeah I do this all the time just make sure your hair stays moisturized and don't leave them in too long to watch out for build up. I think 8 weeks is a stretch and 6 weeks is good.

bluwatersoul

I wear braids and have been using MT and OCT for months, on my scalp only. I use it daily - each night I massage it in and then moisturize and seal. I also DC 2-3 times a week, and I do not use shampoo. I am only able to do this with success because I braid my own hair. I rebraid several braids every couple of days. It is difficult to keep up with the NG and fuzzies with washing and growth from the MT/OCT products, but overall my hair is much healthier and strong.

Moisture is KEY.

kroeskop

PLease don't!!! I just took my braids out and the shedding is CRAZY!!!! I would have stopped sooner if I knew just how bad, but with braids there was no way to tell and now I am pulling hairs out :(

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I have been using OCT off and on for the past year and a half, and I always use it while in braids, with no ill effect. I wash 1-2x a week, and I moisturize my hair regularly as well.

beans4reezy

I used Megatek (scalp only) when I wore box braids. I didn't experience any problems from this, but everyone's head is different.

Southern Belle

I used OCT (on my scalp only), and cowashed nightly. For me, it was a DISASTER. It was the worst setback I ever had. The base of my braids were literally like CEMENT. :nono:

Since others have done it successfully, it may have just been that my technique was flawed. But for me, I haven't even THOUGHT about trying that mess again - not even if somebody showed me how to do it "right", I'm not interested.... :nono:

belldandy

I used OCT (on my scalp only), and cowashed nightly. For me, it was a DISASTER. It was the worst setback I ever had. The base of my braids were literally like CEMENT. :nono:

Since others have done it successfully, it may have just been that my technique was flawed. But for me, I haven't even THOUGHT about trying that mess again - not even if somebody showed me how to do it "right", I'm not interested.... :nono:

how long were ur braids in? were they individuals? I am planning on using it with my cornrows, i am only keeping them in for 2 weeks at a time

Snuckles

Ditto. I also stopped because I wouldn't be able to tell if I was shedding or how much.

beans4reezy

I would have to agree with Aggie. Last year I used MT on my scalp only when I had kinky twists on and everything was fine. Back in Feb., I was using MT on my scalp, in between my cornrows, when I finally took my cornrows down, I had breakage. I'm not sure what changed in my regimen- but I would lay off the MT while braided. JMO though.

prettypithy

Any other opinions on this? I just received my MT to use while my hair is in extension braids but now I'm scared to use it.:sad:

sarathu

I am currently in braids and have been using a mix of MT, MN, and sulfur (mixed with other stuff of course) and it's going fine. I did the same thing a couple months ago with no ill affects. Shedding was normal and my hair was actually a whole lot thicker then it was before the braids/mix. I think the key for me was taking garlic everyday and using a moisturizing spray (that also has garlic in it) after every mix application.