Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

Lady Esquire

No where near WL, but came in here for inspiration.

The tips are great:
I'm going back to washing and drying my hair in sections, to avoid tangles, thanks to this thread. I don't know why I ever stopped, but my hair has been tangling lately, due to that.

Avocado butter, an oldie...gotta pick some of that up, my ends need some love. When I get a chance, Imma read thru this thread, 'cause I want to revamp my regimen. This year simplification is the name of the game.

ElegantExotic

I am at waist length when pressed, and a little bit past shoulder when natural (don't ask me how or why, I have no clue, lol!)

Pressed:

Natural:

ElegantExotic

My Regimen:

I am natural with very fine hair, but lots of it, and I find that it is frizz prone. The front edges and middle part area have texturized for 3 mins to help my press last longer. I have had a redken demi-permanent once (Shades EQ), but for the most part I try to stay away from chemicals. But my stylist is trying to convince me to get a light texturizer throughout my whole head to help with frizz since I live in a very humid climate and fighting frizz in the summer was hard.

I got to waist length by wearing weaves for 4 or 5 years, and every install trimming my relaxed ends off.

I took the weave down for good in July 2008, and the pressed pic was the result. It is much healthier and silky now, maybe even a little longer, I must take more pics.

I go to the salon every week to press, and usually steam before I go to the salon (I have a wellapor steamer at home).

I use Kerastase products now, but when I was growing out, I would use Elucence Shampoos and Salerm Wheat Germ conditioner on my hair in between installs.

My regimen includes:

Pre-pooing with oil, usually coconut or jojoba.

Washing with a Kerastase shampoo and then steaming with Affirm 5 in 1, Affirm Fiberguard Sustenance, Keracare Humecto, or a Kerastase conditioner (Masquintense, Oleo-Relax, Anti-Sure) etc.

I get a treatment at the salon every other week, either oleo-relax or vita-ciment concentrate vials (My natural hair seems to LOVE protein, I guess becaue it's so fine???). But I always pre-treat/steam at home, so even when I go in for just a wash & set my hair has been treated.

My stylist then uses Ciment Thermique and Oleo-Relax when roller-setting, and then sometimes blow dries and then presses, or just presses.

My hair has thrived and my stylist is very gentle and does alot of scalp massages and does not use excessive heat. Because I treat and protect my hair it has grown so much.

I rarely trim, I have only trimmed TWICE since I started wearing my own hair in July 2008. But my ends are very moist, and are surprisingly still even.

In between salon visits, I just use oleo-relax serum on my hair, and the oleo-relax elixir on my ends. I NEVER apply heat in between salon visits EVER. If my hair starts to frizz, oh well.

At night I twist my hair into a loose bun and secure with hair pins, but not directly on the ends, and just tuck the ends in if that makes sense.

I sleep with a satin scarf.

Oh yeah, and I never wear my hair up or in a ponytail, except when I am at home or going to bed (I have a big head, lol). So it's always down and loose.

My fave hair products are:

Kerastase Bain De Force Shampoo (for weakened hair)
Kerastase Anti-usure Conditioner (for weakened hair)
Kerastase Ciment Thermique Leave-In (heat protecting leave-in)
Kersastase Vita-Ciment Concentrate Vials (small vials of protein you spray in hair for micro treatment)
Kerastase Oleo-Relax Shampoo (for dry & rebellious hair)
Kerastase Oleo-Relax Mask (for dry & rebellious hair)
kerastase Oleo- Relax Serum (very liquid-y, lightweight serum, my hair LOVES this stuff)
Kerastase Oleo- Relax Elixir (thicker serum, I use it on my ends)
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor
Affirm Fiberguard Sustenance

ElegantExotic

Also, I haven't taken any growth aids before (never really researched them). I find my hair grows pretty fast on it's own.

I believe the key for me was the protective styling, no major chemicals, and deep treating my hair regularly with good nourishing products. I haven't seen any damage from the weekly presses at all.

When I relaxed, I would get a touch-up and demi-permanent color every 4-6 weeks, and ask for it to be processed to bone straight, and then press every day :nono:. My hair never grew past apl due to split ends (never had breakage though), even though I went to the salon every other week. I also trimmed too much (every relaxer), so even though my hair grew fast, I had to cut off the progress due to the damage (split ends) from heat and chemicals.

wyldcurlz

yay! thanks to this thread i bought a 1lb jar of Avocado Butter!!! And it arrived today! :yay: now i gotta figure out how i'm going to use it, but thinking i'm going to copy FlowerHair's method!! i think Cichelle used to use different butters instead of conditioner...i think she left them on. Anyway, back to re-read thru this thread (for the 300th time) and so excited to use my Avocado Butter!

Last edited:

Juliagizzle

yay! thanks to this thread i bought a 1lb jar of Avocado Butter!!! And it arrived today! :yay: now i gotta figure out how i'm going to use it, but thinking i'm going to copy FlowerHair's method!! i think Cichelle used to use different butters instead of conditioner...i think she left them on. Anyway, back to re-read thru this thread (for the 300th time) and so excite to use my Avocado Butter!

Where did you get that! I been looking for a place but all i see is 4 oz for 10 bux.

wyldcurlz

Where did you get that! I been looking for a place but all i see is 4 oz for 10 bux.

i know...since this is the first time i've purchased it, i wanted to try it (kinda on the cheap) before i went all in. some LHCFer posted about www.chemistrystore.com - they have pretty good prices 1 lb jar for $7.50! check it out. it seems like from nature with love has the best quality, so i think that is where my next batch will come from. but check out chemistry store!! :)

Last edited:

wyldcurlz

FlowerHair...have you ever use protective styles that tucked your ends under or is a ponytail the 'protective style' you've worn most often? have you ever worn buns? i apologize in advance if you already answered about protective styling...i'm secretly hoping that you have never been a bun wearer. :)

Pocahonta_s

This thread is great, thanks to all who contribute!

I am trying to regrow my hair back to waistlength and beyond - I cut it because i was stupidly following a girlfriend's advice who constantly commented that my hair was too long and looked unprofessional (I then worked in a suit-wearing, highly corporate environment), then lost some more length due to too much heat styling, and finally cut another 3 inches in an attempt to have the ends look healthier.

All of you ladies have beautiful hair and are very inspiring!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
FlowerHair...have you ever use protective styles that tucked your ends under or is a ponytail the 'protective style' you've worn most often? have you ever worn buns? i apologize in advance if you already answered about protective styling...i'm secretly hoping that you have never been a bun wearer. :)

Yes, I did use protective styles when I had shorter hair :yep:
You know the most difficult part for me was the transition from above shoulder length to below shoulder length...that's when my hair loved to bunch up against my shoulders and break off :sad: I didn't wear buns every day, but rather a plait or a high pony tail so that the ends wouldn't rub too much against my shoulders.

The ponytail is my daily style now though :grin:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
How in the world did I miss this thread? This is great! Thanks to all those WL and beyond who contributed so far!

wyldcurlz

Yes, I did use protective styles when I had shorter hair :yep:
You know the most difficult part for me was the transition from above shoulder length to below shoulder length...that's when my hair loved to bunch up against my shoulders and break off :sad: I didn't wear buns every day, but rather a plait or a high pony tail so that the ends wouldn't rub too much against my shoulders.

The ponytail is my daily style now though :grin:

okay, good to know. i'm mostly BSL, so i'm past that shoulder length grind. but i know what you're talking about. that is a tough length. and it "seems" like hair isn't growing at that length (even though it is.) anyway i despise buns on me! plus, right now, my hair is flat-ironed and it looks sooo thin, which makes my buns look anemic. i'm willing to do a high ponytail, since i'm copying you, FlowerHair, i just wanted to know how often you wore buns once you passed shoulder length...

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
okay, good to know. i'm mostly BSL, so i'm past that shoulder length grind. but i know what you're talking about. that is a tough length. and it "seems" like hair isn't growing at that length (even though it is.) anyway i despise buns on me! plus, right now, my hair is flat-ironed and it looks sooo thin, which makes my buns look anemic. i'm willing to do a high ponytail, since i'm copying you, FlowerHair, i just wanted to know how often you wore buns once you passed shoulder length...

Almost never :D
Ponytails, one plait, one fat twist or just down, that's how I wear my hair most of the time.

MrsMe

:bouncy:
OMG!! I'm so glad I found this thread!! I wish I had found you two years ago! I would have probably already been at APL!
Thank you so much for this thread FlowerHair!:blowkiss:
I wish I could hug all the ladies who contributed to this thread!:grouphug3: I'm definitely going to be stalking som new fotkis...I already started actually:worship2:
I already learned something new about my hair after reading those 29 pages... My hair grows in spurts during the spring/summer. I think it thrives at these times because I don't have to wear hats and my hair can breathe. I can't wait for Spring! It's my favorite season and now I have one more reason to love it! I can't remember who mentioned it, but I checked my Fotki Growth album and in the fall I get very little growth but between March and September I get 3in! Which means that I have to baby my hair in the winter!
Thank you ladies!

fobaker

:thankyou:Thank you so much for this thread! I have never gotten past BSL but now I know I can reach my goal of WL with the help of you ladies and LHCF. Hopefully WL the end of 2010!:yay:

fobaker

I am trying to regrow my hair back to waistlength and beyond - I cut it because i was stupidly following a girlfriend's advice who constantly commented that my hair was too long and looked unprofessional (I then worked in a suit-wearing, highly corporate environment), then lost some more length due to too much heat styling, and finally cut another 3 inches in an attempt to have the ends look healthier.

It wasn't too long for the office, just too long for her. You know the type. :perplexed

yuriko

It wasn't too long for the office, just too long for her. You know the type. :perplexed

Yes girl, I know the type. There are always people trying to get me to cut my hair, and its not even that long. Telling me I look better with short hair or some BS. Wear your hair the way you want to honey

Girl long hair can never be unprofessional IMO, I listened to many people and cut my hair too, but now I'm scared of SCISSORS now!! Grow it girl, and keep your hair long, if they fired you cuz of your hair, then they will have a BIG LAWSUIT of their hands, and believe me they don't want that...(criminal justice major!) So girl just grow it, and you have some beautiful hair......