For Ladies Who Are W L And Beyond...

Daina

Good Morning Hair Idols!!!

I searched for a thread that captured this info all in one but I didn't find anything consolidated. I was just wondering for you ladies who have reached WL and beyond if you'd be willing to share a few things for those still striving to achieve? Just a few questions below and as always pics are not only welcomed but encouraged!!!!!

What is your current length?

What was your starting length before your journey to WL and beyond?

How long did it take you to get to your desired length?

What are the highlights of your regimen that you used consistently? Any supplements?

Finally any wisdom or words of encouragement for those of us still pressing on?

Thank, thank you so much for being willing to share! I feel like I have stalled and just need a little boost to motor on!

Good Morning Hair Idols!!!

I searched for a thread that captured this info all in one but I didn't find anything consolidated. I was just wondering for you ladies who have reached WL and beyond if you'd be willing to share a few things for those still striving to achieve? Just a few questions below and as always pics are not only welcomed but encouraged!!!!!

What are the highlights of your regimen that you used consistently? Any supplements?

Thank, thank you so much for being willing to share! I feel like I have stalled and just need a little boost to motor on!

I'll shoot :look: lol

Hip Length

Before I started my HHJ and waaaay before going natural...my hair was at APL.

As a relaxed head...from APL it took me about 3 yrs. As a natural...about 4. But I was at Collarbone length stretched when I Big Chopped. It took a total of 5 yrs for me to reach Hip Length Stretched.

Lots of cowashing and frequent deep conditioning and oiling my ends. Staying away from heat for at least 6 months at a time. I take Multivitamins and right now I'm taking Mielle Organics...been on them for a little over 6 months. :)

Oh...and staying away from salons and hair stylists. :nono:

Just realize it will take time. If your hair is really short just know you won't reach WL+ in a year. Along the way you will find you need to just put it away in a bun or a style and leave it alone or you will lose your mind obsessing over length. Been there, done that lol!!! Stay patient and continue to take care of it and be kind to your hair and it will flourish.

I'll shoot :look: lol

Hip Length

Before I started my HHJ and waaaay before going natural...my hair was at APL.

As a relaxed head...from APL it took me about 3 yrs. As a natural...about 4. But I was at Collarbone length stretched when I Big Chopped. It took a total of 5 yrs for me to reach Hip Length Stretched.

Lots of cowashing and frequent deep conditioning and oiling my ends. Staying away from heat for at least 6 months at a time. I take Multivitamins and right now I'm taking Mielle Organics...been on them for a little over 6 months. :)

Oh...and staying away from salons and hair stylists. :nono:

Just realize it will take time. If your hair is really short just know you won't reach WL+ in a year. Along the way you will find you need to just put it away in a bun or a style and leave it alone or you will lose your mind obsessing over length. Been there, done that lol!!! Stay patient and continue to take care of it and be kind to your hair and it will flourish.

@SmilingElephant, thank you so much for sharing!!!! Your hair is beautiful as I vicariously lurk in the HL thread!:drool: My hair is currently BSL length and I have been there for what feels like an eternity!

I'm at tailbone. I like to keep it in between hip and tailbone, so I usually dust seasonally. I'm due for one the first day of summer.

I started with an inverted bob.

Around 5 years but I was transitioning as well.

1) Roller setting (keeping my hair smooth from roots to ends)
2) Deep conditioning with every single wash. No exceptions!
3) Washing with shampoo. I believe in a clean, product free scalp. Co-washing/co-cleansing will never be my thing. It may work for some...but I'm good with just regular Ole shampoo.
4) Low manipulation. I don't believe that you have to protective style your way to long lengths...but I do believe that the less you bother your hair, the better chance you give it to thrive.

Supplements;
I took prenatals while I was pregnant and breastfeeding. Before and after, I used Vitacost HSN vitamins. I was never consistent though. I have been better about taking them this last month and will continue until the end of the year. After that, I want to try Hairburst from the request of another member here (she doesn't post anymore but I follow her on Periscope) I believe it is a UK brand.

Enjoy the journery. People focus so much on the end goal that they forget how lovely right now is. That is a tip in life and hair. LOL

What is your current length? Hip

What was your starting length before your journey to WL and beyond? My hair has pretty much always been BSL+; When I went natural I bc'd after about a year and I think my hair was NL then. That's the shortest it's ever been. From there it took maybe 2 years to get back to BSL. I don't really remember, but I didn't have any setbacks or anything.

How long did it take you to get to your desired length? I had so many detours, I can't really say how long it took. From last relaxer to MBL took 3-4 years. Then after that I cut a few times. Once I was WL and trying to get to HL it took maybe two years b/c my ends kept getting damaged and I would have to trim back to WL.

I discovered then that I couldn't keep doing the same styles that I did when my hair was shorter. Two strand twists and wet buns gave me crazy single strand knots. I started wearing my hair straight for long periods, and any natural style I do has to be stretched out. I put rollers on the ends of my braids or twists for braid/twist outs so that my ends don't curl on themselves and cause knots.

I trimmed back to WL in October due to a salon mishap. It took maybe 6 months to get back to HL. I haven't straightened in a few months. I want to so I can do a length check, but I'm lazy.

What are the highlights of your regimen that you used consistently? Any supplements? No supplements. The main thing for me is regular, consistent DCs (I use Silk Dreams or Aubrey Organics and DC with every wash), protecting my ends, and a good detangling method. I always wear a scarf or bonnet at night. Trim every 3-6 months depending on how my ends look. Low manipulation - all of my styles last for at least a week.

Finally any wisdom or words of encouragement for those of us still pressing on? Deep condition. Pay attention to your ends. Learn to trim your own hair. Don't experiment too much. Find something that works and stick to it. My regimen is very simple and I use very few products and they're all pretty cheap.

My staples:
Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk DC
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
Elucence Moisture Balance Shampoo
Magic Star jumbo rake comb (I think that's the name of it)
Solia flat iron
Elasta QP mango butter
Eco styler gel
Pure argan oil

Enjoy the journery. People focus so much on the end goal that they forget how lovely right now is. That is a tip in life and hair. LOL

Deep condition. Pay attention to your ends. Learn to trim your own hair. Don't experiment too much. Find something that works and stick to it. My regimen is very simple and I use very few products and they're all pretty cheap.

Excellent "Pearls of Wisdom" Ladies! :yep:

@lulu97 , Thank you for the page! I'll post/respond tomorrow. I need to recharge my batteries :sleep2:

current length? WL

What was your starting length before your journey to WL and beyond? Bc'd in 2012 at 2inch

How long did it take you to get to your desired length? 4 yrs

What are the highlights of your regimen that you used consistently? Any supplements? Msm and vit c 1000 mg each daily. Wash n goes and twist outs and do not manipulate my hair after day one to day 4-5 then rewash (cowash). Oil rinsing for my higher porous hair to keep moisture and less detangling. Very little heat other than diffusing once a week after wash.

Put a shower cap over my hair in shower and allow steam to wake the curls every morning rather than spritz water directly on it. Always use a satin bonnet to bed to protect my hair.

Finally any wisdom or words of encouragement for those of us still pressing on? Don't stress too much. Hair grows just make sure to keep yourself and your ends healthy to continue and to keep the length.

WHIP

What was your starting length before your journey to WL and beyond? APL

I haven't reached Booty-Crack (TBL) yet.

• DCing with heat is not an optional activity. In fact, DCing is my favorite part of wash day.

• Cleanse in sections to prevent tangles.

• M&S via LCOB or LCOP. I keep the last 4-5 inches of my hair well lubed with butter or pomade to prevent tangles and SSKs.

• Detangle gently with well lubed fingers. My lube of choice is an EVCO based product, which also serves as a pre-poo. When I say detangle, I mean get rid of sheds. I don't like for my hair to get tangled.

• I keep my hair stretched via braid out or roller set to prevent tangles. I don't like for my strands to start lovin' on each other.

• Dust and/or trim every business quarter. That no trimming thing cost me unnecessary length in the long run. It's better to proactively dust 1/4"-1/2" of hair quarterly than to lose several inches later.

• Notice and Destroy! If you notice a split end etc. nip (clip) it in the bud, before it can progress. Nobody has time for searching and destroying. At least, I don't.

• I love Swanson's Bamboo Extract 300 mg capsules. I'll never be with out them. The hair bulbs on my shedded hair became noticeably bigger when I started taking them.

Be Proactive! Prevention is the key to Retention! Please see my siggy.

Also, please earn a Ph.D. in your hair. Your hair is like a snowflake, nobody's hair is exactly the same.

If you keep your hair pliable and strong, there'll be no stopping its full length and potential.

HHG!

@FoxxyLocs, what are some of your styles that you do? Do you protective style?

My go to styles right now are braid outs, twist outs, and buns. Usually the braid/twist out lasts for 4-5 days, then I bun for another 3-4 days before washing again and starting over. Or I'll just redo the style without washing if my scalp is still in good condition. I wash every 1-2 weeks. I also straighten my hair maybe every 2-3 months - one pass with low heat and I can make that last for 2-3 weeks.

When I first went natural, I kept my hair in two strand twists 90% of the time. I did that until my hair got to about MBL/WL, then I started having problems with SSKs, so I had to find a new style.

I've never been really big on protective styling. I remember joining a PS challenge and when I was done I had to trim like 3 inches b/c of knots and split ends. I aim more for low manipulation (styling no more often than once a week) and keeping my hair stretched to avoid knots. I never wear wash and go's, puffs, etc.

Whip

I've had WL hair the majority of my life. However, I cut my hair to SL in May of 2014. I grew to mid-back length by January 2015, then cut it to BSL. I haven't had a trim since.
My desired length it TBL. I haven't gotten there just yet. I don't think growth is the problem. It may be breakage... I can't seem to ever get past Whip length.
Regular multi vitamins that I took on and off.
I hardly deep conditioned, which now I believe is the reason I kept getting split ends. I mostly water-washed and that's because I was never a product kind of girl, so I never had build up. Just recently I became a product junkie.
I also was very natural. My hair was always in it's natural state and either in a bun, high ponytail or in a wash n go.
I shampooed and conditioned maybe once a month. And I deep conditioned........ Um, I dont even know because I hardly deep conditioned.... And I used coconut oil a lot... In which I used it for volume.... (Coconut oil use to bring life to my wash n go's) lol. And once in a while I'd braid my hair at night....

The point is.... I hardly payed any attention to my hair and it grew to these lengths... I believe it was because I left my hair alone is the reason it grew so long...
Wash and Deep condition
Leave heat ALONE
Get your ends trimmed (I didn't and I had long hair still, but there was no point because it was damaged).
Protective styling
Eat healthy
Take your vitamins

Last edited:
My go to styles right now are braid outs, twist outs, and buns. Usually the braid/twist out lasts for 4-5 days, then I bun for another 3-4 days before washing again and starting over. Or I'll just redo the style without washing if my scalp is still in good condition. I wash every 1-2 weeks. I also straighten my hair maybe every 2-3 months - one pass with low heat and I can make that last for 2-3 weeks.

When I first went natural, I kept my hair in two strand twists 90% of the time. I did that until my hair got to about MBL/WL, then I started having problems with SSKs, so I had to find a new style.

I've never been really big on protective styling. I remember joining a PS challenge and when I was done I had to trim like 3 inches b/c of knots and split ends. I aim more for low manipulation (styling no more often than once a week) and keeping my hair stretched to avoid knots. I never wear wash and go's, puffs, etc.

@FoxxyLocs, thanks for sharing your styles! I too do mostly braid outs and buns, occasionally I will do a rollerset. Do you re-braid your hair every night or just put a bonnet on?

@FoxxyLocs, thanks for sharing your styles! I too do mostly braid outs and buns, occasionally I will do a rollerset. Do you re-braid your hair every night or just put a bonnet on?

I pineapple and put on a bonnet. I'm too lazy to re-braid every night.

Every now and then I do a flexi rod set, but I have to be in the mood to do those.

Waist length

A little below shoulder length. This was before I found LHCF

Well, I'm still not there :) my ultimate goal is tailbone. Since being a member of LHCF I've tried twice. Once relaxed then I decided to transition. Starting from the day I started transitioning it's taken me a few months over 3 years to reach waist length. After 18 months of transitioning I cut the relaxed ends and was was barely armpit length at the longest layer. From there I experimented with different protective styles, ways to wash my hair, and ways to dry it. There was a blow dry phase, a keratin treatment phase, a complex 5 hour washing routine :look:, a buy everything that has a good review by people with hair like mine phase :lachen:, a what the heck do I do with my hair phase, a take 100 different supplements phase o_O, and then a - ok, let's really document and take notes phase. At the start of fall of 2015, realizing it did well in twists but I didn't want traditional twists, I opted for loose twists and have been rocking them ever since. They've allowed me to reach waist length with versatility and and 24/7 protective styling.

- washing my hair in sections
- air drying in a bun then applying product when dry (leave a tad of conditioner in when your rinsing though)
- being consistent with products that work once you find them
- less is more - less is more - less is more :)
- hair, skin and nails supplement, working out, healthy diet
- protective styling
- documenting the nuances of what's worked and not

- enjoy the journey
- be consistent and patient
- find what works for
your hair
- find a go to protective style that's cute when all else fails :D
- be gentle with your hair, don't take drastic measures when you get frustrated
- less is more
- pay attention to your moisture and protein balance - protein treatments and deep conditioning make a difference
- you'll get there! Just be patient :)

@caliscurls

How long do you keep your loose twists ? And how did you take care of it ?

I redo them every 2 weeks but wash weekly. That said, I've not taken them completely down since I started wearing the style in Sept 2015. Between the loose twists and regular protein treatments retention has been stellar.

Over a 4 week period here's how I generally take care of them

Week 1
Everything below with twists gathered in to 4 large plaits
- Pre-Poo with EVCO
- Wash scalp and length with Shampoo Bar (Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve)
- Protein Treatment (20 min) (Komaza Protein Treatment)
- DC for an hour with a cap (Jessicurl Deep Treatment)
- Rinse, blot dry with t-shirt or pillow case
- Take out plaits and put twists in a bun to air dry (no product is added. It helps to 1. let the hair dry quicker and 2. have a fuller/very fresh look once the twists are re-done
- ...go about my business :)

1 day later it's dry so it's time to retwist. One twist at a time
- Run Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee down the twist with extra at base and ends.
- Start untwisting and detangling from the root being sure to get out all shed hair.
- Re-twist (Base = 3 tight twists, Length = 7 to 12 really loose twists, last 3 inches = 6 to 8 tight twists with the very end just swirled with my finger ), go to the next twist
- This is done over 2 days (4 hours each). During the in-between state I just put it all in a bun or braid. You can't tell the difference since it's up. I've even worn it half up/half down during the "in between".

Usually I don't need to re-moisturize until 3 days after the wash. At that point I moisturize with the CTDG...and maybe seal with an oil or butter. I've found I don't really need to seal as much in warmer months with the twists.

Style-wise I'm usually in some type of bun or french braid style (I'm boring :D) but I do tend to wear it half up/half down or all down the first few days after I re-twist or if it's week 2 after the wash.

Week 2 (usually around day 7 or 9)
Everything below with twists gathered in to 4 large plaits
- Pre-Poo with EVCO
- Dry DC for an hour under a cap
- Wash scalp only with Shampoo Bar
- Rinse, blot dry with t-shirt or pillow case
- Take out plaits and put twists in a bun to air dry or leave them in (the latter results in a cute wash n go look)

Week 3 - go back to Week 1 routine

Other notables
- If I want to tame frizz I use a styling balm instead of gel. While gel results in a sleeker look the balm does a great job if you tie it down for an hour or overnight. All the gels I've tried result in guck, lint attraction, or make my roots hard to detangle
- Even though it takes a long time to re-twist I have much more hair freedom now so it's worth it.
- If you make them small..say half the width of your finger or slightly larger, they tend to take on an elongated version of your curl pattern when wet (not saturated, wash day wet, just wet...like shower rinse wet o_O). I've been known to wear what looks like a curly pony tail on occasion because of this nice side effect. This is also the reason why week 2 can look more like a wash n go if you wear it down after drying.

Hope this helps!

@caliscurls

Thank you !

It helps a lot. Used to loose twist but without washing (just scalp with lavender water and ends moisturized). Since I am into this water only washing I was wondering if I could back to it.

You give me hope hihi I'll give it a try.

Thank you :goodpost:

View media item 128899View media item 128901
@caliscurls Thanks for the detailed regimen. Im going to try it starting next week.

Can you post a pic of your twists just so I can get a better idea of the size?
@Nightingale sorry it's taken so long, finally figured out I had to use a different browser. The pictures are below ( I think ). The picture with the 2 twists - 1 "old" twist, 1 new twist. Once they settle out after bunning, doing a large braid or a large twist with all of them they look like the smaller twist you see.

I'm at tailbone. I like to keep it in between hip and tailbone, so I usually dust seasonally. I'm due for one the first day of summer.

I started with an inverted bob.

Around 5 years but I was transitioning as well.

1) Roller setting (keeping my hair smooth from roots to ends)
2) Deep conditioning with every single wash. No exceptions!
3) Washing with shampoo. I believe in a clean, product free scalp. Co-washing/co-cleansing will never be my thing. It may work for some...but I'm good with just regular Ole shampoo.
4) Low manipulation. I don't believe that you have to protective style your way to long lengths...but I do believe that the less you bother your hair, the better chance you give it to thrive.

Supplements;
I took prenatals while I was pregnant and breastfeeding. Before and after, I used Vitacost HSN vitamins. I was never consistent though. I have been better about taking them this last month and will continue until the end of the year. After that, I want to try Hairburst from the request of another member here (she doesn't post anymore but I follow her on Periscope) I believe it is a UK brand.

What is your review of the Hairburst vitamins, @lulu97? Thanks in advance!

What is your review of the Hairburst vitamins, @lulu97? Thanks in advance!

I never tried the Hairburst vitamins...probably won't @YvetteWithJoy I stocked up on Vitacost HSN when they were having a BOGO free sale so I have a full year supply of them. Then I got pregnant and had to switch to a prenatal which I will take throughout pregnancy and nursing before I switch back to the Vitacost HSN brand.

Back