Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

Subscribing!

I'm only on page 3 and what strikes me is the very simple regiments - goes to show, huh?

And I know I can get to WL one day even with my loose natural 4bz because I've seen natural loose 4b haired ladies out there with WL hair. I live in hope!

Girl long hair can never be unprofessional IMO, I listened to many people and cut my hair too, but now I'm scared of SCISSORS now!! Grow it girl, and keep your hair long, if they fired you cuz of your hair, then they will have a BIG LAWSUIT of their hands, and believe me they don't want that...(criminal justice major!) So girl just grow it, and you have some beautiful hair......

Exactly! Our waist length long hair can be whatever we want it to be!
It can be Sexy. Sleek. Stylish. Sophisticated. and even Short.
I can make my hair look like all of the adjectives above depending on my mood. So put the scissors away!

Exactly! Our waist length long hair can be whatever we want it to be!
It can be Sexy. Sleek. Stylish. Sophisticated. and even Short.
I can make my hair look like all of the adjectives above depending on my mood. So put the scissors away!

Ms Pinkskates,

Where can we see your regimen?

Hi All! I'm a long time lurker and not very good about posting. I'm not quite full waist length, but almost there. I started off with a big chop to go natural in '99 to less an inch on top and shaved in the back. In 2003 I began relaxing again due to hard water issues. I wear my hair in buns most of the time and get touch-ups about every 3-4 months and I typically get trims every other visit. In between salon visits I usually wash once a week, air dry with my hair in a long braid, and I bun almost always. If my hair isn't in a bun, I'm usually wearing braid outs. For special occasions, I will do a roller set using a PIBBS dryer. My siggie is a fresh touch up done on yesterday and that is typically the only time I use heat (curling iron press or flat ironed). I try to keep it simple because I find my hair to be a pain to do because it tangles and matts easily. I believe I have porosity problems. Sorry for the long post.

To all the Ladies that contributed... Thank you!!
I read each and every post on the thread and was enlightened or inspired.
I am no where near WL but now I know how it is possible to acheive.

Continued success to all.

I'm wondering if anyone sleeps in a bun. If no, why not? Maybe that's why my hair is uneven and has been stuck at below bra clasp :wallbash: for the past four years. I was wondering if I should braid it each night, which would be fine if I didn't have to work. Then, too, I don't oil my hair or ends daily.

I know what I need to do, but I'm just not really "into hair" like some other members are.

I love this thread! I feel your pain! I had wonderful progress for the first two years....then, the last two....I have had setbacks and cannot get past BSL.

My setbacks have been protein overload, and switching relaxers. I henna regularly and I just don't think my hair can take protein on top of henna because henna already strengthens the hair to some degree. I have experienced a lot of breakage from that. Also, I've gotten lazy and stopped baggying (which did wonders). I have cut my hair so much over the past year trying to get it evened up (because of breakage on the ends)...

ALSO....ever since I switched from Phyto to Silk Elements Lye....my hair has not done as well. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go back to Phyto and pay the $60 bucks a pop.

I am so inspired by this THREAD! Thanks ladies! Your hair is beautiful.

Fabulous thread ladies!

Thank you all so much for sharing...I see that YES WE CAN grow our hair and every time I see you WL ladies it is a brand new affirmation for me. I have only been on my journey for one year and I have gone from the length in my signature pic to shoulder length, I am trying so hard this year to get to APL but what has really surprised me is how much shrinkage I have. My hair looks so very short right now but when straight it is shoulder length. Well thank you so much ladies...you all are a blessing! :yep:

Oh this thread is great! Such a nice reminder to keep growing and not BC.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

GoldenBreeze and Que,
I would love to know what your regimens are too! I think your growth has been inspirational!

I'm so sorry for taking so long to answer this, betty-boo. Please forgive me, but I've been a bit under the weather with lupus lately. Also, I'm not WL only BSL

My regimen:

-CO-wash and DC 2 to 3 times a week
-Detangle only in shower with condition and wide tooth comb
-Air dry with leave-in and Avocado or other butter
-Wear in some type of bun or braid almost everyday
-Moisturize, braid, and sleep in a silk scarf each night
-Flatiron a couple of times a year (maybe)
-Hard protein treatment every 8 to 12 weeks, as needed
-Trim rarely, because I'm a little bit OCD with the scissors.
(I'm not concerned about uneven ends as long as they are not split or knotted.)

The extras:
-Love henna, but I'm hair lazy right now so I'm not using it.
-Try to eat a balanced diet for general and hair health
-Drink a lot of water
-Take a multi vit daily for general health, and hair health
-Take MSM daily for joint pain, but my hair likes it too
-Take biotin 3 - 4 times a week.

I don't think hair growth vits are necessary. I just take them to help counteract the effects that medications have on my hair growth.

Last edited:
FlowerHair, Traycee, Cichelle, LaLa, Pinkskates and all the other waistlengthers in here (or whomever wants to answer) i'm seriously frustrated with my roots. i have my hair in a bun/pony today. i washed it and let it air-dry on saturday. no matter what i do, i cannot get my roots to lay down smooth and flat - i look like a 5 year old girl whose been playing outside all day. cute when you're five, much harder to pull off over 25!

i'm seriously considering texlaxing my roots - do you think it will be detrimental to my progress? i may also weave it for 2 mos? if i weave soon, i might not texlax. just wanted to get ideas on if you think texlaxing might slow my progress since i've been without chemicals for over 10 years.

Flowergirl

Do you have a problem with knots and tangles? If so, what do you do?

I do have tangles, but not that many. Well, the true reason is that I only detangle once a week so I don't really think about the tangles in between :lol: I know Cichelle had some problems with tangles before. I think it's all depending on how thin or thick your strands are. My strands are thick so they don't tangle as much as someone with thinner strands.

I detangle in the shower with conditioner in my hair and work out the knots with my fingers. That's all I do. I know there are plenty of tangles that I don't get to, but I don't stress about them. :)

FlowerHair, Traycee, Cichelle, LaLa, Pinkskates and all the other waistlengthers in here (or whomever wants to answer) i'm seriously frustrated with my roots. i have my hair in a bun/pony today. i washed it and let it air-dry on saturday. no matter what i do, i cannot get my roots to lay down smooth and flat - i look like a 5 year old girl whose been playing outside all day. cute when you're five, much harder to pull off over 25!

i'm seriously considering texlaxing my roots - do you think it will be detrimental to my progress? i may also weave it for 2 mos? if i weave soon, i might not texlax. just wanted to get ideas on if you think texlaxing might slow my progress since i've been without chemicals for over 10 years.

I have frizzy roots too! :D
I have to use a scarf on my hair every morning to make it lay flat, especially since I don't use combs or brushes. I just wet the front of my hair a little and sometimes put some lotion or leave-in conditioner on it and put a scarf on, semi-tight. I leave it on for half an hour or more and my hair lays flat after that.

Personally, I wouldn't texlax my roots, but I'm not opposed to chemicals like I used to be :grin: I think as women we should do whatever we want to do and need to do in order to look the way we want :yep: I'm natural since most of my life so I can't really give you any advice on chemicals...

I wanted to add too, that nowadays I wear my hair in a very loose ponytail...I should take a pic :scratchch so I don't need to flatten my hair so often anymore.

I have frizzy roots too! :D
I have to use a scarf on my hair every morning to make it lay flat, especially since I don't use combs or brushes. I just wet the front of my hair a little and sometimes put some lotion or leave-in conditioner on it and put a scarf on, semi-tight. I leave it on for half an hour or more and my hair lays flat after that.

Personally, I wouldn't texlax my roots, but I'm not opposed to chemicals like I used to be :grin: I think as women we should do whatever we want to do and need to do in order to look the way we want :yep: I'm natural since most of my life so I can't really give you any advice on chemicals...

I wanted to add too, that nowadays I wear my hair in a very loose ponytail...I should take a pic :scratchch so I don't need to flatten my hair so often anymore.

Thanks FlowerHair...it makes me feel better knowing that you have frizzy roots too! :grin: Okay, tying a scarf on it is a trick I might be able to copy. If you could take some pictures that'd be very helpful - of that and of your very loose ponytail. FlowerHair, I have some sort of hairstyling impedement. I'm horrible at it. i don't even know how to properly tie a scarf or bandana on my head to lay my roots down. so, yes, pictures would help tremendously, if you can!! i don't want to texlax, its more of a last resort, i just can't go to work (and don't feel comfortable) with all this frizz. i've got to learn some tricks for dealing with it. thanks again.

this thread should win thread of the year! its the best. i referenced it to look at your regimen & a few others before i washed my hair on the weekend. :)

Thanks FlowerHair...it makes me feel better knowing that you have frizzy roots too! :grin: Okay, tying a scarf on it is a trick I might be able to copy. If you could take some pictures that'd be very helpful - of that and of your very loose ponytail. FlowerHair, I have some sort of hairstyling impedement. I'm horrible at it. i don't even know how to properly tie a scarf or bandana on my head to lay my roots down. so, yes, pictures would help tremendously, if you can!! i don't want to texlax, its more of a last resort, i just can't go to work (and don't feel comfortable) with all this frizz. i've got to learn some tricks for dealing with it. thanks again.

this thread should win thread of the year! its the best. i referenced it to look at your regimen & a few others before i washed my hair on the weekend. :)

I'll take some pictures this week and post them in my blog :yep:
I'll pm you when it's done :D

Thank you for loving this thread...I know I would have loved a thread like this a few years back for inspiration and ideas! :)

Hi wyld, one of the whoevers here. :) I have combo frizzy and not so frizzy roots. I also use the scarf method that flowerhair uses, and in addition I add a little aloe vera juice to my roots along with my leave-in before using the scarf. That seems to give some additonal help in holding the frizz at bay.

I :heart2:this thread!:grin: Thank you so much Flowerhair and all of the other ladies who posted their regimens and gave advice!!:bighug:

I have another question to all the waistlength and beyond ladies.

Does your hair feel heavy? I was just thinking about Flowerhair's ponytail, and it just looks like that gorgeous ponytail would feel really heavy.

I also remember a girl with 3b hair coming into my friend's mom's salon to get her hair thinned because it was giving her a headache. Do any of you have that problem?

Does your hair feel heavy? I was just thinking about Flowerhair's ponytail, and it just looks like that gorgeous ponytail would feel really heavy.

I also remember a girl with 3b hair coming into my friend's mom's salon to get her hair thinned because it was giving her a headache. Do any of you have that problem?

Not for me, and getting your hair thinned is bad news in every way, I had a friend who did it, and her hair never cam back to it's original thickness. The only good reason would be to reducing bulk but you'll regret it when you gets older cause hair gets thinner in middle age and after menopause-I read that somewhere. So keep it full, that way you'll have a "normal" thickness later. it won't help with detangling issues. hth

I don't think you have to try chemicals right away, I use the scarf trick too esp in summer in winter not so bad. But I prep before, I just moisten with a little water, take some Suave coconut conditioner (or Cerave creme) and smooth it into my hairline, then brush with a soft bristle brush, then I use a stretchy headband (2 inches thick) to hold the front flat, 10-15 minutes and it's fine. Or I just moisten, smooth with gel, brush back smooth, then headband, I really only have problem with the supershort baby hairs in the very front hairline, the rest lays flat. hth

My Regimen:

I am natural with very fine hair, but lots of it, and I find that it is frizz prone. The front edges and middle part area have texturized for 3 mins to help my press last longer. I have had a redken demi-permanent once (Shades EQ), but for the most part I try to stay away from chemicals. But my stylist is trying to convince me to get a light texturizer throughout my whole head to help with frizz since I live in a very humid climate and fighting frizz in the summer was hard.

I got to waist length by wearing weaves for 4 or 5 years, and every install trimming my relaxed ends off.

I took the weave down for good in July 2008, and the pressed pic was the result. It is much healthier and silky now, maybe even a little longer, I must take more pics.

I go to the salon every week to press, and usually steam before I go to the salon (I have a wellapor steamer at home).

I use Kerastase products now, but when I was growing out, I would use Elucence Shampoos and Salerm Wheat Germ conditioner on my hair in between installs.

My regimen includes:

Pre-pooing with oil, usually coconut or jojoba.

Washing with a Kerastase shampoo and then steaming with Affirm 5 in 1, Affirm Fiberguard Sustenance, Keracare Humecto, or a Kerastase conditioner (Masquintense, Oleo-Relax, Anti-Sure) etc.

I get a treatment at the salon every other week, either oleo-relax or vita-ciment concentrate vials (My natural hair seems to LOVE protein, I guess becaue it's so fine???). But I always pre-treat/steam at home, so even when I go in for just a wash & set my hair has been treated.

My stylist then uses Ciment Thermique and Oleo-Relax when roller-setting, and then sometimes blow dries and then presses, or just presses.

My hair has thrived and my stylist is very gentle and does alot of scalp massages and does not use excessive heat. Because I treat and protect my hair it has grown so much.

I rarely trim, I have only trimmed TWICE since I started wearing my own hair in July 2008. But my ends are very moist, and are surprisingly still even.

In between salon visits, I just use oleo-relax serum on my hair, and the oleo-relax elixir on my ends. I NEVER apply heat in between salon visits EVER. If my hair starts to frizz, oh well.

At night I twist my hair into a loose bun and secure with hair pins, but not directly on the ends, and just tuck the ends in if that makes sense.

I sleep with a satin scarf.

Oh yeah, and I never wear my hair up or in a ponytail, except when I am at home or going to bed (I have a big head, lol). So it's always down and loose.

My fave hair products are:

Kerastase Bain De Force Shampoo (for weakened hair)
Kerastase Anti-usure Conditioner (for weakened hair)
Kerastase Ciment Thermique Leave-In (heat protecting leave-in)
Kersastase Vita-Ciment Concentrate Vials (small vials of protein you spray in hair for micro treatment)
Kerastase Oleo-Relax Shampoo (for dry & rebellious hair)
Kerastase Oleo-Relax Mask (for dry & rebellious hair)
kerastase Oleo- Relax Serum (very liquid-y, lightweight serum, my hair LOVES this stuff)
Kerastase Oleo- Relax Elixir (thicker serum, I use it on my ends)
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor
Affirm Fiberguard Sustenance

How does that work, and how often do you have part of your hair slightly texturized? Is it harder to keep up with the diff textures on your haead or is it easier for the hot humid climate? TIA

I think it differs from hair to hair. My hair is very heavy, especially when wet. That's why I don't wear high ponytails anymore :nono: I can't wear a bun either if it's not very high or very low. Otherwise it pulls on my forehead/hairline. A low ponytail is no problem. Nowadays I also pull the ponytail holder downwards a little so that the front of the hair is not so tight.

I made the mistake of thinning my hair once. :lol: It took a year before my hair felt normal again. The thing is, the shorter the hair is, the more it curls so you'll end up with short super curly pieces and long wavy pieces that won't blend... Not nice!

My hair is fine so it's not heavy at all. I actually wish it had more weight. The only time I notice it's weight is when it's soaking wet.

Not for me, and getting your hair thinned is bad news in every way, I had a friend who did it, and her hair never cam back to it's original thickness. The only good reason would be to reducing bulk but you'll regret it when you gets older cause hair gets thinner in middle age and after menopause-I read that somewhere. So keep it full, that way you'll have a "normal" thickness later. it won't help with detangling issues. hth

that happened to me! i'm convinced. i went to a "non-ethnic" salon a few years ago because i had no idea how to tame my curls. my hair, when styled curly went east & west, like rosanna-dana-dana from SNL. it was horrible and i didn't know what to do with it. well, this woman and her products were always featured on a well known curly hair site and she's got great before and after pix. long story short, after a 2.5 hours wait (in which i should've gotten up and left) she proceeded to chop thru my hair wildly, like edward scissorhands. i came out with hair of all different lengths. it seemed a little mullet-ish. she "took the weight out of my hair" - which to me meant thinned it. my hair still doesn't seem like its back at its original thickness. :(

so just say NO to any thinning. (i'm also not a fan of razor cutting - same reason and its been known to damage cuticle.) just my opinion on the topic.

back to the WAISTLENGTH LADIES useful knowledge.

Also razor cutting curly hair leads to split ends. Curly heads should stay far away from those type of things.

Back