An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

Ms.Joi

This is all so intriguing I know that they use salt to increase the viscosity in shampoos ( some one at my place of work used work in a plant where they made the stuff). It is also said eating too much salt make you retain water.. could it be that it is making your hair retain water too... *off to do research*

On the bolded, when my mother used to dye clothes she always added salt to the mix to make the colour take, think it made the colour last longer too...mmmm so intriguing.

*wonders if it will work on relaxed hair**

Just read this after I posted. Great minds think alike :lachen:.

JustKiya

I swear I read somewhere that if your hair has a problem taking color you can add a pinch of salt to it to help it take....maybe I read that on the mixes page of hennaforhair.com

Does anone know what I am talking about? I am guessing these things might be related. :look:

I think so!! I think - the thread over on tLHC - the reason the original poster created the mix was because she was considering adding salt to her henna, and wanted to see how her hair reacted to it.

Shoot, personally, I will DEFINITELY be adding salt to my next henna!

This is all so intriguing I know that they use salt to increase the viscosity in shampoos ( some one at my place of work used work in a plant where they made the stuff). It is also said eating too much salt make you retain water.. could it be that it is making your hair retain water too... *off to do research*

On the bolded, when my mother used to dye clothes she always added salt to the mix to make the colour take, think it made the colour last longer too...mmmm so intriguing.

That's what I'm thinking, but I just don't know HOW.

Justkiya, where did you find your citric acid powder? or can I just use something like lemon juice instead? I was about to wash my hair, but I really want to try this!

I brought mine online - first from fromnaturewithlove.com, but lotioncrafters.com has it for much cheaper.

I think that if you can find some of the fake 'lemon' powder, or *thinks* pickling salts I think it is (both grocery store/spice aisle items), they are mostly citric acid... :yep:

:woot: I'm so excited that ya'll are thinking this is - workable, too! :giggle: :love: for all my LHCF sisters in experimentation!!

WomanlyCharm

I think that if you can find some of the fake 'lemon' powder, or *thinks* pickling salts I think it is (both grocery store/spice aisle items), they are mostly citric acid... :yep:

:woot: I'm so excited that ya'll are thinking this is - workable, too! :giggle: :love: for all my LHCF sisters in experimentation!!

Thanks hon! I'll skip the citric acid this wash, but I'm definately going to try the salt in my conditioner...I'll report back in a bit with my results! :grin:

Soliel185

Hmm..If salt also encourages hair and fabrics to take dye - perhaps the salt opens the fibers/cuticles - allowing the moisture to get in, and the natural acidity of the mixture seals them (with the hair anywho). Add that to the fact that salt makes your body retain water - perhaps it's helping the cuticle - once open - suck that moisture deeeeeeeeep inside so it holds better.

Neith

I don't think salt is moisturizing on it's own...

Like if you go to the beach and get in the water and you don't rinse your skin, it'll be dry.

I was on a mostly white hair board once and saw that some girls would spray their hair with salt water and get really nice waves with it.

I don't think that it's so drying that I couldn't slip a teaspoon in my conditioner though. I do think there may be something to it :yep:

kweenameena

I swear I read somewhere that if your hair has a problem taking color you can add a pinch of salt to it to help it take....maybe I read that on the mixes page of hennaforhair.com

Does anone know what I am talking about? I am guessing these things might be related. :look:
I've heard this as well!:yep:

JustKiya

I don't think salt is moisturizing on it's own...

Like if you go to the beach and get in the water and you don't rinse your skin, it'll be dry.

I was on a mostly white hair board once and saw that some girls would spray their hair with salt water and get really nice waves with it.

I don't think that it's so drying that I couldn't slip a teaspoon in my conditioner though. I do think there may be something to it :yep:

:yep: I totally agree - I think that if you let the salt dry on your skin, it sucks water out - and there was another thread of tLHC (linked from the thread above) about someone who DID leave saltwater in her hair to dry and it came out bad. Very Very Bad.

Hrm, could salt be considered a humectant of some sort?? :scratchch

naijamerican

I am so intrigued by the science behind this. Turns out salt is a natural relaxer:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4228810.html

I am wondering if this is really what's at work, after all... this concept of salt being good for one's hair is VERY interesting! Thanks JK!!!! :yep: This just goes to show that it pays to be adventurous with hair care - you never know what you might conjure up and how you can help others with the new knowledge!:grin:

BrooklynSouth

I use salt and lemon juice to clean my copper ware-cleans it to brand new- but on my hair I'm a bit scared to even try this.

JustKiya

I use salt and lemon juice to clean my copper ware-cleans it to brand new- but on my hair I'm a bit scared to even try this.

Hrrm. It doesn't feel like it strips my hair at all, so I don't think it's acting a cleaner/clarifyer.......

;) Being scared is wise, quite often - to have the wisdom to wait and see before jumping in with both feet - I'm a lil nervous myself!

BrooklynSouth

Hrrm. It doesn't feel like it strips my hair at all, so I don't think it's acting a cleaner/clarifyer.......

;) Being scared is wise, quite often - to have the wisdom to wait and see before jumping in with both feet - I'm a lil nervous myself!

Glad you understand my concern...

MonaRae

This makes perfect sense to me! :yep:

didirose

I am so intrigued by the science behind this. Turns out salt is a natural relaxer:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4228810.html

Yep, this reminds me of the experiments I read here with baking soda. Some went a little too far and it changed the texture of their hair too much. I think it would be good to compare the use of salt with baking soda as these are both basic in pH. As with anything, moderation is key. People who usually had problems with baking soda either left their concoctions too long in their hair or put too much baking soda in their solutions. The basic function of a hair relaxer is to use a basic chemical (whether natural or artificial) to break the disulfide bonds in the hair and then cap them so the bond can't reform.

Golden

Very interesting. Salt does bind water, so I think you are on to something, I will definitely try this next dc.:yep:

Forever in Bloom

Sure thing - here is the thread.

Wow! Seems like as soon as that was posted, the other ladies jumped on the negativity bandwagon :lachen:That kind of 'tude makes people not even want to share their findings. Thank you for sharing yours :grin:

It all makes sense. I have a jar of bentonite clay I use for face masks (along with ACV) and it always makes my skin so soft. I was thinking to myself the other day, "Maybe I could try the Lush Cupcake Face Mask on my hair..." I was thinking of purchasing Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish since they both have rhassoul, cocoa powder, honey and glycerin in them. I can't afford her stuff right now, that's when I started calculating and thinking hard.

It also reminds me of when I purchased Blended Beauty's Volcanic Clean Mask.The creator uses bentonite clay in the mix! It made my hair squeaky clean and so soft when I was transitioning. I haven't thought to use it on my natural hair until now because I ran out and just didn't buy, but since I have some I may give the ladie's recipe on the other forum a try also.

I need to join that board too JK, because I think those ladies are not afraid to take chances in their hair care regime. We think protein is evil; they probably consider that child's play compared to some of the things they may have tried in the past!

I always play it safe though by testing on a section of hair a couple of times before going full throttle! Vroom Vroom. Two thumbs up!!

JustKiya

Wow! Seems like as soon as that was posted, the other ladies jumped on the negativity bandwagon :lachen:That kind of 'tude makes people not even want to share their findings. Thank you for sharing yours :grin:

It all makes sense. I have a jar of bentonite clay I use for face masks (along with ACV) and it always makes my skin so soft. I was thinking to myself the other day, "Maybe I could try the Lush Cupcake Face Mask on my hair..." I was thinking of purchasing Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish since they both have rhassoul, cocoa powder, honey and glycerin in them. I can't afford her stuff right now, that's when I started calculating and thinking hard.

It also reminds me of when I purchased Blended Beauty's Volcanic Clean Mask.The creator uses bentonite clay in the mix! It made my hair squeaky clean and so soft when I was transitioning. I haven't thought to use it on my natural hair until now because I ran out and just didn't buy, but since I have some I may give the ladie's recipe on the other forum a try also.

I need to join that board too JK, because I think those ladies are not afraid to take chances in their hair care regime. We think protein is evil; they probably consider that child's play compared to some of the things they may have tried in the past!

I always play it safe though by testing on a section of hair a couple of times before going full throttle! Vroom Vroom. Two thumbs up!!

:lol: Yeah, after that (and they tend to be pretty open minded to new stuff) I was kinda paranoid - but I just couldn't keep it to myself anymore! :lol:

They are both MUCH stricter and much more adventurous, all at the same time. :lol: They are the ones I was telling you call blowdryers 'blowfryers' :lachen: You think we go all out with the protective styles? Shoooooot. :lol: It's a fun board, too - eyeopening. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
You know what's interesting about this thread?

I take a lot of baths using Epsom Salts because my gym workouts and dance classes can leave me feeling sore, especially when I'm introduced to a new muscle group.

Now I know that Epsom salt is not the same as Sodium Salt, but this thread has made me think about the difference in my hair when I use it.

My point is that I always get in the tub and the first thing I do is go under the clear 'salted' water to rinse out my hair conditioner. I DC almost everyday. My hair always feels like silk when I come up out of the water and it falls down my back.

I just looked up the content of Epsom Salts and look what I found:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/97250/6_ways_to_use_epsom_salt_to_improve.html?page=2&cat=5

6. Hair Cleanser and Clarifier
Use a lot of
hair spray, mousse and gel on your hair, or wash it every day, and pretty soon your hair can suffer from a buildup of products. But, don't worry, you can use Epsom Salt to improve the health of your hair too!

You'll need a fourth of a cup of pure lemon juice, a fourth of a cup of Epsom Salt, and one quart of non-chlorinated water- rain water works the best. Mix the ingredients together and use it the next time before you wash your hair. Pour some (or all, if you have long hair) of the Epsom Salt solution onto your hair. Make sure to get all your
hair wet, all the way from the roots to the ends. Leave the solution on your hair for fifteen minutes. Then, wash your hair as you normally do.

An added bonus to using this cleanser/clarifier is that it will remove excess
oil from your hair too!

Also: It has Sulfur in it and we know how sulfur softens and grows hair. MTG :lol:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/epsomsalts.htm#2

What are Epsom salts and how do they work?
Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. Salts are just molecules that form because the parts have opposite electrical charges that bind together. Magnesium has a positive charge. Sulfate has a negative charge, and performs all sorts of unique biological functions. The two elements dissociate in solution (English translation: break apart and separate in liquid). Epsom salts are available at most local grocers or health food stores, or inexpensively in bulk at agricultural supply stores.

The magnesium and sulfate in the salts are absorbed into the body through the skin. Because the sulfur is already in the sulfate form, it does not need to be converted like other forms of sulfur do. Sulfate is thought to circulate in the body up to about nine hours. Any Epsom salts left on the skin may continue to be absorbed as long as it is still on the skin, offering continuous ‘timed-released’ input into the bloodstream – like medications given through skin patches. Many people on a typical ‘modern’ processed diet are very deficient in magnesium as well, which Epsom salts also supply in a highly available form. Main effects of insufficient magnesium are hyperness, irritability, anxiety, and muscle twitching or spasms. So the salts may provide two-way assistance.
see Magnesium

I didn't want to post too long of a post, but I agree that there has to be something to this.

This is a good thread 'Kiya' and I'm going to subscribe to it and try your regime as well. I'll let you know what happens... :nervous2: :lol:

adw425

Co-signing with Shimmie. I also take a fair number of baths with epsom salt and my hair is always amazing afterwards because I do dunk my head in the water. I do shower first (smile) before my soaks. And, yes, the magnesium it contains does have something to do with it.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Co-signing with Shimmie. I also take a fair number of baths with epsom salt and my hair is always amazing afterwards because I do dunk my head in the water. I do shower first (smile) before my soaks. And, yes, the magnesium it contains does have something to do with it.
:lol: Thanks adw :bighug:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. :lol:

I love :love4: the way my hair just smooths down my back after I rinse. It's nothing like it.

OH! Try adding honey to your hair conditioner.........:shocked: wow oh wow! Silk on top of Silk. The soft hair is awesome!

Blessings to you adw425, thanks for coming to my rescue. :giveheart:

sevetlana

Co signing and subscribing.

I love new discoveries.... So it seems that not only sodium chloride but magnesium sulfate as well does good for your hair..

OT. To the ladies who use epsom salts: Does it do your skin good? How much do you use in your soaks.?

sevetlana

Here is some more info on Epsom Salts (hope this not a hijack)

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/use-epsom-salts-13-wonderful-ways.html

By Annie B. Bond, author of Better Basics for the Home (Three Rivers Press, 1999).
Oh, epsom salt—who knew that such an uninspiring ingredient could inspire such devotion? Read on for 13 ways to use epsom salts, including a relaxing bath, a face scrub and a hair volumizer. It’s also a miracle cure, helping to get rid of splinters and reduce swelling of sprains and bruises. One ingredient fits all!
I always knew that soaking in a tub full of hot water with a
few cups of Epsom Salts was good for relaxing muscles and
drawing toxins from the body, but I could never figure out why.
And it wasn’t until I spent some time at the Epsom Salt Industry
Council web site that I learned that epsom salts—made of
the mineral magnesium sulfate—are also a sedative for the
nervous system.
When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as
in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous
system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural
emollient, exfoliator, and much more.
Adapted from the Epsom Salt Industry Council
Note: Check with a doctor before using if you have any health concerns.
Relaxing and sedative bath: Soak in warm water and 2 cups of epsom salt.

Face cleaner: To clean your face at night, mix a half-teaspoon of epsom salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water.

Homemade skin mask: Apply the mask to damp skin. For normal to oily skin, mix 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk, the juice of 1 lemon, and a half-teaspoon of epsom salt. For normal to dry skin, mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half-teaspoon of epsom salt.
Foot soak: Soothe aches, remove odors and soften rough skin with a foot soak. Add 1/2 cup of epsom salt to a large pan of warm water. Soak feet for as long as it feels right. Rinse and dry.

Skin exfoliator: Massage handfuls of epsom salt over your wet skin, starting with your feet and continuing up towards the face. Have a bath to rinse.
Remove excess oil from hair: Epsom salt soaks up excess oil from hair. Add 9 tablespoons of epsom salt to 1/2 cup of oily hair shampoo. Apply one tablespoon of the liquid to your hair when it is dry; rinse with cold water. Pour lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar through the hair, leave on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse.

Remove hairspray: Combine 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of lemon juice, and 1 cup epsom salt. Combine, cover and let set for 24 hours. The next day, pour the mixture into your dry hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then shampoo as normal.

Hair volumizer: Combine equal parts of deep conditioner and epsom salt. Warm in a pan. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse.

Soak sprains and bruises: Epsom salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises. Add 2 cups epsom salt to a warm bath, and soak.

Splinter remover: Soak in epsom salt, it will draw out the splinter.

JK For the words in blue.. Is this similar to what you tried..?

adw425

Shimmie: I have been adding honey to my conditioner three or four times a week for the last three weeks, so no problem there. I get a hairgasm just thinking about the combo of the epsom salt and honey condish :yep:. My arms and shoulder are incredibly sore from new exercises on the lat pulldown today, too...

Svetlana: I am embarrassed to say that I use more than what the box says to use because I have a huge tub. And, although I have suffered no ill effects, it is best probably best to do what the box says.

AtlantaJJ

I have got to read this entire thread because I have 2 lbs of citric acid and don't know what possessed me to buy it! :spinning: Now I might actually have a use for it!

JustKiya

Here is some more info on Epsom Salts (hope this not a hijack)

Remove excess oil from hair: Epsom salt soaks up excess oil from hair. Add 9 tablespoons of epsom salt to 1/2 cup of oily hair shampoo. Apply one tablespoon of the liquid to your hair when it is dry; rinse with cold water. Pour lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar through the hair, leave on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse.

JK For the words in blue.. Is this similar to what you tried..?

No, not really - one, that's a HECK of a lot more than I used.... but that's interesting - I've never used Epsom before... :lol:

One thing about Epsom Salt, it's an entirely different chemical than table salt.

Table salt is Sodium Chloride, Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate. So, the suggestions/uses/recommendations for Epsom Salt might not transfer to table salt quite as well.

sevetlana

Shimmie: I have been adding honey to my conditioner three or four times a week for the last three weeks, so no problem there. I get a hairgasm just thinking about the combo of the epsom salt and honey condish :yep:. My arms and shoulder are incredibly sore from new exercises on the lat pulldown today, too...

Svetlana: I am embarrassed to say that I use more than what the box says to use because I have a huge tub. And, although I have suffered no ill effects, it is best probably best to do what the box says.

So we know what that means (hairgasms anyone?):drunk:
Ok thanks..

adw425

JJ: You are the one who told me that it was a cuticle-closer, which is why I started adding lemon juice to my homemade aloe vera moisture spritz and it worked like a charm.