Natural Ladies with flat iron success:What's that ONE thing that makes all the diff?

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Re: Natural Ladies with flat iron success:What's that ONE thing that makes all the di

I'd like to know too

although this time I added the garnier fructis anti frizz serum before spraying with heat protectant and it seemed to straighten better.....or maybe it was just the hair cut....who knows

Lucky's Mom

Re: Natural Ladies with flat iron success:What's that ONE thing that makes all the di

Wow! you hair is sooo pretty......

Anyhow to answer your question.

ONE THING????
I have two.....

Steam treatments
Sabino moisture Block

bbdgirl

I believe the ONE thing is HEAT. Use a good professional heat protectant serum. Chi silk infusion, Hot sauce, John Frieda anti-frizz, IC fantasia just to name a few good ones. And for me when my hair was natural, next to a Marcel iron used at the salon a Professional quality one (you can chose one from Folica.com, great selection) that has high heat was the only thing that works. The Chi or FHI were good for me, my natural hair never came out straight with the $40 irons. It was a worthy investment!

BrockStar

Wow! you hair is sooo pretty......

Anyhow to answer your question.

ONE THING????
I have two.....

Steam treatments
Sabino moisture Block

Thanks!
Hmmm steam treatments? I'm not familiar. What's that about?

QT

My hair is making its debut in August, I will need as much info on this hair pressing business. How long should a press last? I’m in the south and you know how weather gets around here.

kblc06

I believe the ONE thing is HEAT. Use a good professional heat protectant serum. Chi silk infusion, Hot sauce, John Frieda anti-frizz, IC fantasia just to name a few good ones. And for me when my hair was natural, next to a Marcel iron used at the salon a Professional quality one (you can chose one from Folica.com, great selection) that has high heat was the only thing that works. The Chi or FHI were good for me, my natural hair never came out straight with the $40 irons. It was a worthy investment!

For me heat protectant makes all the difference AND prepping my hair before straightening (it comes out best when I do rollersets or banding )

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae

The secret is good heat and NO products. I keep tellin yall...

NO ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS. No serum, no heat protection, NOTHING.

Just condition your hair really well, for at least 45 minutes under the dryer & rinse. Then blow dry and flat iron with NO PRODUCTS. When you're done, add a drop of serum to your hair and wrap for at least an hour. Salon results & swang every time.

Lucky's Mom

Just condition your hair really well, for at least 45 minutes under the dryer & rinse. Then blow dry and flat iron with NO PRODUCTS. When you're done, add a drop of serum to your hair and wrap for at least an hour. Salon results & swang every time.

do you have any pics of your hair???

Ericka

At one point in time I was not using any products except shampoo and conditioner, but then I started using a serum which gave my hair this beautiful shine and softness. I always had the softness even when I used no products but not as much shine. It all about preference as to whether or not you want to use products.

youwillrise

i'll be following this thread.

i've tried to flat iron with no success.

i want to try again, but not until december...perhaps for the holidays

anon123

I've not had success, either. I think what I'd need to do is get my hair straighter before trying to flat iron. That and turn up the heat, but I don't want to do that.

Kurly K

I 2ND THIS!!!! i straightened my hair around last wednesday and here is been 95 degrees and up and my hair is still holding up and i dont even wrap it at night or anything. Grease and other products make my hair absorb moisture

bbdgirl

bumping for more responses...

AtlantaJJ

I'm looking for tips too for when I come off my no-heat challenge...thanks for the thread.

AtlantaJJ

I 2ND THIS!!!! i straightened my hair around last wednesday and here is been 95 degrees and up and my hair is still holding up and i dont even wrap it at night or anything. Grease and other products make my hair absorb moisture
They used to call this a dry press in LA, they didn't use much of anything, perhaps some Aveda Brilliant after the press was done around the edges.. that was it!

ladylibra

less product works best if you want swingy hair. but no product? my hair is laughing and saying, "try it ****, i DARE you." :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

my hair would be looking just like mwedzi's siggy within 5 minutes. :look:

can't pin it down to one definite thing that makes all the difference... sorry... i'm not help :blush:

Last edited:

Dak

The first thing that made a difference for me was to deep condition with heat (I use Aveda's DR line) and then roller set.

From there I found that I could easily flat iron it and not use too much heat to get it straight. I've been using Sabino's Moisture Block for the last month, that has definitely taken the health of my hair up a notch.

After I rinse out the conditioner, I use Aveda's Smooth line with a little Dabur Vatika oil, and top it off with MB.

JLove74

a great flat-iron and less products.

discobiscuits

My 1 thing is: the correct heat setting for my hair on my flat iron.

audacity.

less product works best if you want swingy hair. but no product? my hair is laughing and saying, "try it ****, i DARE you." :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

my hair would be looking just like mwedzi's siggy within 5 minutes. :look:

can't pin it down to one definite thing that makes all the difference... sorry... i'm not help :blush:

:lachen: girl you are nutz! :lachen:

I am not natural (I do have about 6+ inches of NG) so you can take my advice for what it is worth. I agree with Libra and others, that LESS product is MORE when you are ironing. Plus I need a LOT of heat :yep: I am going to try a serum the next time I iron in hopes to prolong reversion.

HTH.

chebaby

i didnt know chi silk infusion was a heat protectant. is it? because if it is i will use that tonight with nothing else and see how that goes.

ChocoKitty

Got more that one suggestion...

-I agree with "less to no product"...
-Deep Conditioning well is a super must--the more moisture your retains the better. Plus it make your curl "relax" IMO.
-Lastly, pure ceramic styling tools! If you have to pay a pretty penny for it--it'll be worth it in the long run. I am currently recovering from heat damage... I used a conair ceramic curling iron to touch up some spirals and I now I have straight hair in those same spots. Although, the texture is slowly returning. :nono: Never again will I use a cheap ceramic heat styling tool! I am saving up for another T3 flatiron and a matching blow dryer. Can't be cheap anymore...

BeautifulRoots

Im kind of afraid to try this. No products at all...hmm. It makes sense that the products would absorb the moisture from air, thus making my hair revert faster. We shall see. Im trying to find a way to get straight hair without it reverting as much as it normally does. I dont care for the "salon result and swinging" that much. (every time I do get it done at the salon, it reverts the next day.) I know how to flat iron my hair pretty well. I just dont want it to frizz as fast as it normally does. My hair starts frizzing about 4 days after I flat iron it. I want to try cross wrapping, maybe that will help? Im from the south where it's humid and rainy during summer months. But im really itching to flat iron my hair to see how much it has grown. I havent flat ironed since February...I think I may try this tonight...

glamazon386

I agree with this... My stylist does not use any additional products and my hair blows in the wind. Let me do it :nono:. Even serums feel like they weigh my hair down.

SoCalli

I can't just pick one thing.
-Shampoo with moisturizing shampoo (Oscar Blandi)
-Deep condition the hair with moisturizing conditioner (Oscar Blandi)
-Find the right heat protectant (Chi Silk Infusion and H2 Ion are what I used...do not use oil...it is like frying your hair!)
-Blowdry the hair in a downward motion
-Get a good, quality flat iron that goes up to 450 degrees in case you need it (FHI)
-Flat iron small sections
-If you must, use Mizani oil sheen (I stopped doing this step)
-Wrap the hair and sleep on it

I've done my hair with no heat protectant. It will make the hair bouncy, but it will not block out humidity. Also, I find that my hair had too much volume in it. Use heat protectant sparingly. If you have the kind of hair that takes a lot of heat to get it straight, you should definitely use some kind of heat protectant. I find that with the products that I use I can have silky, shiny, and well conditioned hair. The lady who cuts my hair at Fantastic Sams always tells me that I have the softest, silkiest hair that she has ever touched. She is Asian and has touched a bunch of heads. The lady who cuts my sister's hair says the same thing. She's white. My hair falls out of the comb when she is trying to comb it. It is that silky. It's all about products, technique, and practice.

BillsBackerz67

using little to no products...and only using a small amount of oil sheen.