Rollerset Support Thread

achangedlife

I can't seem to find one. This can be the start of one if anyone's interested. Those who have mastered rollersets can help those who are still trying to get the hang of it.

MizzBrown

Ohhh, good thread.

I've been mastering it really well lately. Every wash, it gets better and better and I'm still trying different methods like using different setting lotion and keeping the frizz at bay.

I use this bonnett dryer:

These Leave-ins:

My stylist let me borrow some of this which she always uses on my hair in the salon. Nairobi Foam wrap.

And to keep hair wet, I've been using distilled water mixed w/ Coconut Oil Supreme:

End results:

I'm still trying to perfect it!

Lady Esquire

There is a sticky with all of the current challenges posted in it. Here is the current Rollersetting/PinCurl 6 month Challenge 2008'
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ght=Challenges

BTW, I am feeling your rollersetting products. I need to try Lacio Lacio, Salerm and the Nairobi. This year my resolution is to cut back on products, but I am on a mission for the perfect mix of products to get the best rollersetting results. :wallbash: Why oh why, do you ladies share all this good stuff with this weakling?

achangedlife

MizzBrown, your rollerset is gorgeous. I've been wanting to try dominican products for some time now. Right now I'm 10wks post touch up and the only thing helping me through are rollersets.

achangedlife

How do u blow out your roots after a rollerset without messing up the curls. Or, do you blow out the roots to get the whole head of hair, straight?

asubeauty

I just HAD to post in this thread... I love, LOVE, LOVE rollersetting!! (As you probably can tell by my siggy. :lol: ) I'm a faithful rollersetter, every single week... :grin:

Last edited:

Allandra

I just HAD to post in this thread... I love, LOVE, LOVE rollersetting!! (As you probably can tell by my siggy. :lol ) I'm a faithful rollersetter, every single week... :grin:
Each time I see your avatar pic, I always think 'gosh her roller sets look so good'. I wish I could roll my hair as neat as you roll your hair. :up: :up:

PuffyBrown

Where did this thread come from? Just what I need.

I too am on a quest to get the best out of roller sets. I just got the hang of the rollering, now I am having fits with my Conair hair dryer. It is taking way to long for my hair to dry.

I am going to get me a new regulary hard hat in the next couple of weeks. I missed out on the Pibbs offer cause my funds were not right at the time. I am hoping to find a site that has the pibbs with free shipping...anybody know anything about that? Heck, it doesn't have to be a Pibbs, but a really good one, any recommendations?

PuffyBrown

Your hair is looking good. Where did you get your coconut oil and your Nairobi styling foam?

Ohhh, good thread.

I've been mastering it really well lately. Every wash, it gets better and better and I'm still trying different methods like using different setting lotion and keeping the frizz at bay.

These Leave-ins:

My stylist let me borrow some of this which she always uses on my hair in the salon. Nairobi Foam wrap.

And to keep hair wet, I've been using distilled water mixed w/ Coconut Oil Supreme:

End results:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
decided to concentrate on mesh roller sets for the rest of the months. It is easy and it makes very tight curls.

ddean

I'm definitely interested in a support thread. I rollerset my hair every week, and it takes me about 45 minutes. I would love to get my time down to a half hour.

krissynick

How do u blow out your roots after a rollerset without messing up the curls. Or, do you blow out the roots to get the whole head of hair, straight?

i havent masterd that yet.. my blowdryer brush coordination is still bad... so if the curl combs out i just leave it and wrap it... or i guesu can just flat iron the root but i dont like doing that

Allandra

Ok. I decided to go on ahead and roller set my hair this morning (sitting under Mr. Pibbs 514 now).

It ONLY took me 33 minutes to roll my hair on magnetic rollers. This is a miracle for me. I believe the least amount of time before today was about 45 minutes. I am still in shock. :blush:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I love this thread!! I don't consider myself an expert rollersetter, but I'd like to help out where I can and I think (from the rollerset pics I see just within this thread so far, I'm not saying any names MizzBrown, ASUBeauty, and DDTexlaxed:grin:) I think I can learn a lot from you ladies!!:yep:

MizAvalon

Looking good MizzBrown!:yep:

I haven't rollerset in a while, just been using my Pibbs for deep conditioning with heat but your siggy is making me miss it!:drunk:

Looking forward to see what great info this thread brings.

Last edited:

indefinite

Where did this thread come from? Just what I need.

I too am on a quest to get the best out of roller sets. I just got the hang of the rollering, now I am having fits with my Conair hair dryer. It is taking way to long for my hair to dry.

I am going to get me a new regulary hard hat in the next couple of weeks. I missed out on the Pibbs offer cause my funds were not right at the time. I am hoping to find a site that has the pibbs with free shipping...anybody know anything about that? Heck, it doesn't have to be a Pibbs, but a really good one, any recommendations?
Are you in Nashville or close to Atlanta? If so, you can just drive here and pick one up.

achangedlife

Does anyone rollerset using hair gel. I bought a gel for my daughter's hair and it says you can use it for blowdrying or rollersetting. It says that it has no alcohol and doesn't flake. What type of gel do you use and what were the results.

n_vizion

I've never used gel while rollersetting. If you want the curls to stay, you can try mouse or setting lotion. For me, the fewer products the better.

n_vizion

Ohhh, good thread.

These Leave-ins:

End results:

MizzBrown,
How is Coconut Oil Supreme different from other coconut oils?

mzcris

Count me in the rollerset support thread too! i love rollersetting my hair...it's healthier and my hair grows faster by rollersetting! :yep:

motherx2esq

I love this thread! I am still trying to master a mix to get my sets silky! My roots are another thing altogether!

PeggyFair

What about a dry set? Ever since they discontinued Miss Kool, I have no way to do a dry set. Black n Sassy makes something for a dry set but it makes my hair too brittle. Also, what rollers are best and most comfortable for sleeping in and will still deliver a smooth curl?

SparklingFlame

I tried a rollerset the other day w/ some magnetic rollers and it was Pure-D Hell getting them things in. I only did 1 row and stopped. I think b/c I'm texturized I cant do a regular rollerset.

MizzBrown, do you think that if I used the rollers like in your pic, my curls wont be frizzy and poofy? Or do you think I have to relax bone strait first?

froggie08

:goodpost:MizzBrown you really got me thinking about getting some coconut oil supreme. I love this thread and will be suscribing I am currently on a personal 3 month rollerset challenge, thank you ladies for this.

What I am using for my sets are Lottabody setting lotion (50/50 water/solution mix), NTM leave-in, and either Chi silk Infusion or Frizz Buster serum. I always add either cocnut oil or EVOO as well for moisture purposes to my wet hair.

Also all of sets thus far have been air-dried, I am still waiting on the bases to arrive so my Pibbs can join me.

PICS OF MY ROLLERSETS IN MY FOTKI

MizzBrown

E_WILLIAMS,

That was my sister's bonnet dryer that i would just borrow from her when i was learning, but its old and it was taking longer and longer to get my hair dry. Think she got it from Sally's or something.

So I bought myself another one from someone's review and picked up this one at my local Walmart. Priced at $26.88 I believe. I like it. The drying time went down a lot since its new and more powerful. Only thing i DISLIKE about it is that you have to kind of keep that lid open so you wont block the hose but for the price, it fits my budget until i get to PIBBS status. It's the Select Pro Gold Bonnet Dryer I think.

PeggyFair,
I do dry sets. After i rollerset and dry, i turn right over and go to sleep in the snap-on rollers and i will rock a curly set for a couple days, then wrap it for another couple days until wash day again.

I really like to do curly sets now when the NG is getting thicker to camaflauge it. I just rub some moisturizer or some oil on hair and re-roll every night. I had a bottle of Miss Cool's someone gave me and it was aiight...nothing to write home about.

Some people cant sleep on hard rollers so find what works best. I've been doing it for years and trained myself to do so because i was ruining my hair by putting a curling iron to it everyday in the morning..wasn't healthy.

N VISION,
Coconut oil supreme is just the name brand of the coconut oil. Its just like any other virgin, unrefined coconut oil.

NATURALLADY,
I don't think you have to be bone straight to use the snap on rollers. Shoot, i see natural heads using anything. Curlformers, magnetic, snap ons, mesh..i think its the technique anyway. Some times i try it on bone straight and i still get frizzy parts from being lazy.

Last edited: