Relaxing with fingers

gvsugirl

When I permed my hair a few days ago, I was getting fed up with the gloves that felt 2 times to big and plus the fact that I couldnt tell if I was really getting the new growth, so i threw off the gloves and used my fingers. They didnt burn or anything. I just made sure I rinsed right after but i was able to see what I was doing. Has anyone done this and gotten burned badly? Am I doing something I shouldnt be doing?

karezone

My aunts hairdresser uses her fingers for the exact same reason. As long as you washed well. Next time, try putting on a heavy unscented cream or lotion to protect the skin on your hands.

ChasingBliss

I never use the gloves in the box. I use rubber gloves that cling so well to my fingers that I have to peel them off when Im done. They work well for me. They come several in a pack at the store.

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
I could never relax with gloves on. It's like I can't feel exactly where the relaxer is. I just make sure that I wash and mosturize my hands thoroughly.

gvsugirl

ok im glad im not the only one doing this. i used the tight gloves from the store and i even felt less. they were latex

LiLi

I use the gloves while applying the relaxer and then when I smooth the relaxer I use my bare hands.

AFashionSlave

Your hands are not as sensitive as your scalp so I guess you won't have the same burning issue.

Remember: Hair relaxers breaks down proteins - so relaxing without gloves will eventually soften your nails.

Relaxing without gloves does not sound like a good idea to me.

Ire_manzi

NEVER RELAX YOUR HAIR WITHOUT WEARING GLOVES CAUSE THE RELAXER CHEMICALS GET ABSORBED INTO YOUR BLOODSTREAM THROUGH THE SKIN. THE SAME GOES WHEN YOUR HAIR IS BEING RELAXED.

MissMarie23

I had to resort to this once, when the cheap gloves in the package broke. Be careful of your fingernails. The relaxer turned them yellow and brittle.

LiqueXX

I use gloves that fit my hands, when I have relaxed (before) without gloves my nail have turned yellow and brittle (as stated above).

Isis

I don't use those plastic gloves. I use my hands (yes, I know it goes into the bloodstream!) and I can feel and "see" with my fingers while applying and smoothing my new growth. As of a few months ago, I protect my fingernails with several layers of nair hardener and the relaxer no longer turns them yellow.

One day I'll learn how to use tight-fitting, thin latex gloves.

Peachtree

When I used to relax, I'd start out with the gloves that came along with the boxed perms, but the relaxer would literary "eat" away at the gloves... the gloves would dissolve on my hands. Instead of thinking that stuff is potent... I better find another pair of gloves to use... I'd just finishing applying & smoothing in the relaxer with my bare hands... I've never recvd any hand burns
... of course I always used "No-Lye" relaxers, if that makes a difference...

LiLi

I use no-lyes also ... maybe it does make a difference. I just am able to smooth alot quicker without wearing gloves. I figure the relaxer is touching my skin very long (maybe 15 minutes) and I only relax twice a year. I don't have the yellowing though and it doesn't affect my nails in any negative way.

LuLu

I used to get the yellow nails with African Pride no-lye, but the last relaxer I did was Mizani Sensitive scalp and I had no problem.

You girls who get yellow nails, try some clarifying shampoo.:)

Karonica

When I relaxed my own hair (using no-lye), I hated the gloves. I used my own hands, and nothing happened. My nails did turn a bit yellowish though.

offthechainliz

I didn't use gloves once and it made my nails a yellowish color that I was embarrassed for any one to look at them. It disappeared after a few days.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
gvsugirl said:
When I permed my hair a few days ago, I was getting fed up with the gloves that felt 2 times to big and plus the fact that I couldnt tell if I was really getting the new growth, so i threw off the gloves and used my fingers. They didnt burn or anything. I just made sure I rinsed right after but i was able to see what I was doing. Has anyone done this and gotten burned badly? Am I doing something I shouldnt be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this when I permed...I noticed something...

I would rinse the relaxer from my hands...and my fingers felt especially slippery...even after all the relaxer was rinsed away...

I found out why...

<font color="red">The chemical in the relaxer had broke down the protein in my fingerprint ridges...melted them away </font> . It took a couple of months before they grew back and I could grasp a wet glass without it slipping out of my hand.

They put the gloves in for a reason yall...dont take a chance with your health...go ahead and follow the directions and use the gloves...that way if you have a minor cut on your hands or an invisible infection...you arent going to make it worse by getting the chemical in it. Just play it on the safe side if you are going to use chemicals.

diamond_nh

Most of the time I don't use gloves when applying the relaxer. I use one hand to hold the hair and the other hand to apply the relaxer with the brush. I put on the gloves at the end to smooth the relaxer on the hair.

Victorian

old head
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
gvsugirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this when I permed...I noticed something...

I would rinse the relaxer from my hands...and my fingers felt especially slippery...even after all the relaxer was rinsed away...

I found out why...

<font color="red">The chemical in the relaxer had broke down the protein in my fingerprint ridges...melted them away </font> . It took a couple of months before they grew back and I could grasp a wet glass without it slipping out of my hand.

They put the gloves in for a reason yall...dont take a chance with your health...go ahead and follow the directions and use the gloves...that way if you have a minor cut on your hands or an invisible infection...you arent going to make it worse by getting the chemical in it. Just play it on the safe side if you are going to use chemicals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any strong base will do this. I remember back in 9th grade in my chemistry class, I got the tiniest bit of some sort of hydroxide (Can't remember which one) on my finger and it had that same slippery feeling. I freaked out a little (I think it was mainly psychological
) but I was fine. It didn't hurt it just tingled for a few minutes.

My mom has been relaxing without gloves for longer than I've been alive. I always tell her to use gloves but she says the same thing that others here have said--you can do a better job and go more quickly when you can feel the newgrowth. I've been trying to get her to try some tighter-fitting gloves and see if that helps but she won't listen. I guess it's hard to change something you've been doing without incident for so long...