Clarifying Before Relaxing

aurora3140

I recently read in a thread that a relaxer will "take" better if your roots are free of build-up. I clarified with my last wash and I'm relaxing tomorrow. HTH

Neroli

Even tho others do it with great success, I don't clarify at all the wash before or the wash after relaxer becasue:

1. if clarify before, seems like the relaxer creme will penetrate into the hair even FASTER, which might cause greater damage to the hair stands. Indeed, I go out of my way to COAT my hair the week before relaxing precisely because I want to slow down the process a bit and prevent damage while I'm smoothing. I know some folks clarify and do protein treatment and all, and I guess you could still coat hair after clarifying . . . :ohwell:

2. if clarify after, seems like hair will revert back what with the powerful cleansers and chelating ingredients in clarifying 'poos. Prolly won't happen, but I don't take no chances around relaxer time and give myself 2 weeks around touchup for all the fancy stuff. . . :yep:

Energee

Great thread. I'm going to try this before my next relaxer. Do you then cut down on product use also until you get your relaxer done?

Lady Esquire

Great thread. I'm going to try this before my next relaxer. Do you then cut down on product use also until you get your relaxer done?

That is what I am thinking. The last few relaxers, I was heavy-handed with my daily S-Curl and oils to seal. I have since learned that less is more, and I have switched to small amounts of Giovanni Direct, but looking back I think product build-up had a lot to do with my repeated underprocessing. So yeah, I am guessing that one should hold back on the product use before the relaxer...unless it is stuff used for protective coating.

LiLi

That is what I am thinking. The last few relaxers, I was heavy-handed with my daily S-Curl and oils to seal. I have since learned that less is more, and I have switched to small amounts of Giovanni Direct, but looking back I think product build-up had a lot to do with my repeated underprocessing. So yeah, I am guessing that one should hold back on the product use before the relaxer...unless it is stuff used for protective coating.
You are 100% correct about that. The more build-up of products you have, the longer it will take the relaxer to start "working".

Lady Esquire

thanks ladies! i am definitely going to clarify one week before i relax. and i cannot wait to post progress pics. i am kinda nervous. i hope all turns out right. :crossfingers: