Is there a Baggy Challenge?

BillyJay

I want to do a Baggy Challenge with my LHCF sistas!

I currently baggy about 3-4 times a week give or take. (ponytail or braids baggy)

I have gotten a tremendous amount of growth this last year while wearing the baggy. Of course, most of us can grow the hair with no problem, but its hard to keep it. As my hair grew in the past I would always have a hard time with my ends being dry and brittle! I know this method is a keeper because my ends have NEVER looked this good!

Where are the baggy lovers?

How much growth do you wish to attain in the next 6 months?

Anyone want to jump on the bandwagon?

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I'd like to join a baggy challenge too. I haven't been using the forum long, but I think that baggying is some of the best advice that I've gotten so far. I've been doing 5 nights a week or so. My hair is so much better off because of it already.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Count me in BJ!!! I started consistently baggying last week. I say consistently because I've been doing it every night since then. I'll give my ends a chance to breath maybe 2 nights out of the week, but definitely, I'll be baggying at least 5 nights out of the week. I can't afford to leave my baggy on during the day because I don't have anything to cover it up, so it works perfect for me at night.

BillyJay

I'd like to join a baggy challenge too. I haven't been using the forum long, but I think that baggying is some of the best advice that I've gotten so far. I've been doing 5 nights a week or so. My hair is so much better off because of it already.

Girl as soon as you remove the baggy for the 1st time, you can literally FEEL the difference in your hair!

I get so excited talking about the baggy, lol:lachen:

It's great that you're hanging in there 5x week. That's cool. I don't have the resiliency to baggy that much, blame it on laziness, lol.

Thanks for joining. What type of growth are you looking to gain?

BillyJay

Count me in BJ!!! I started consistently baggying last week. I say consistently because I've been doing it every night since then. I'll give my ends a chance to breath maybe 2 nights out of the week, but definitely, I'll be baggying at least 5 nights out of the week. I can't afford to leave my baggy on during the day because I don't have anything to cover it up, so it works perfect for me at night.

Hi MsCherokee!
I was browsing a fotki and saw the cutest idea. She did the normal ponytail baggy bun and covered her hair with a black kneehigh (wrapping it around) Then she covered that wiith a pretty black netting material. It was very classy looking.

Letting your ends breath is a good thing. Over moisturizing can also be the death of your hair!

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Girl as soon as you remove the baggy for the 1st time, you can literally FEEL the difference in your hair!

I get so excited talking about the baggy, lol:lachen:

It's great that you're hanging in there 5x week. That's cool. I don't have the resiliency to baggy that much, blame it on laziness, lol.

Thanks for joining. What type of growth are you looking to gain?

I am barely at shoulder length now and I think that I'd like to gain 4 inches in 6 months. I am assuming that my hair grows a little more than 1/2 inch a month.

BillyJay

I am barely at shoulder length now and I think that I'd like to gain 4 inches in 6 months. I am assuming that my hair grows a little more than 1/2 inch a month.

Wow! Thats ALOT of growth. My growth rate is pretty standard. I think you will be able to meet your goals!

Lady Esquire

DarkEmperess had a baggy challenge going.

I will join yours. Baggies are the ish!! But I've learned not to apply too much product, in order to avoid over-conditioning. I was wearing a baggy on my ends and covered underneath a phony ponytail. But now, I sleep with a plastic cap on my entire head: a whole baggy. And this has proven to be quite effective. Right now I am on week 18 of an attempted 6-month stretch. So buns are my only style and the whole baggy is working well with the buns. But when I go back to wearing my rollersets, I am not sure how the baggy is going to fit in. Do any of you baggy wearers incorporate baggies with your rollerset dos?

Lavendar

Hey BJ! This is a challenge I can live with! I have been baggying for the past couple of weeks. I can't believe how great my ends feel...I don't know where I've been the past year and a half of my hair journey cause I sure don't know why I never tried this. I baggy at night and leave it on all day. I just use a little of your Cocasta oil or coconut oil, braid a pony, and cover it with a plastic baggie and a scrunci. I'm lovin it!

ETA: This is just in time for the Fall/Winter regimen redo!

Last edited:

BillyJay

I will join yours. Baggies are the ish!! But I've learned not to apply too much product, in order to avoid over-conditioning. I was wearing a baggy on my ends and covered underneath a phony ponytail. But now, I sleep with a plastic cap on my entire head: a whole baggy. And this has proven to be quite effective. Right now I am on week 18 of an attempted 6-month stretch. So buns are my only style and the whole baggy is working well with the buns. But when I go back to wearing my rollersets, I am not sure how the baggy is going to fit in. Do any of you baggy wearers incorporate baggies with your rollerset dos?
I ve never tried the baggy with a rollerset however, I have done bantu knot baggies and my hair comes out really nice afterwards.

Question..Is the other challenge still active? I don't want to duplicate.

BillyJay

Hey BJ! This is a challenge I can live with! I have been baggying for the past couple of weeks. I can't believe how great my ends feel...I don't know where I've been the past year and a half of my hair journey cause I sure don't know why I never tried this. I baggy at night and leave it on all day. I just use a little of your Cocasta oil or coconut oil, braid a pony, and cover it with a plastic baggie and a scrunci. I'm lovin it!
Hi Lavendar!!!

Well welcome aboard!:drunk:
I sometimes baggy with the vatika frosting only or Cocasta when I'm already moisturized, it does come out nicely I must admit.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Hi MsCherokee!
I was browsing a fotki and saw the cutest idea. She did the normal ponytail baggy bun and covered her hair with a black kneehigh (wrapping it around) Then she covered that wiith a pretty black netting material. It was very classy looking.

Letting your ends breath is a good thing. Over moisturizing can also be the death of your hair!

I think I will try that idea. Could you post a link to the fotki, if you don't mind? I tried to do it with one of my scarves and it looked like a H.A.M., and needless to say, I took that thing off quick and just decided to stick to baggying only at night.

BillyJay

I think I will try that idea. Could you post a link to the fotki, if you don't mind? I tried to do it with one of my scarves and it looked like a H.A.M., and needless to say, I took that thing off quick and just decided to stick to baggying only at night.
Sadly, I don't even remember which fotki it was:wallbash:
I was randomly stalking folks, getting feverish and all..:lachen:you know how it is....

I will try to find it for you though.

Lady Esquire

I ve never tried the baggy with a rollerset however, I have done bantu knot baggies and my hair comes out really nice afterwards.

Question..Is the other challenge still active? I don't want to duplicate.

I have never done a bantu knot baggy? Spill the beans.
The other challenge was a 3-mth challenge that started in Apr. So I am pretty sure it is over. Here is the link for reference purposes: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122039&highlight=baggy+challenge

BillyJay

I have never done a bantu knot baggy? Spill the beans.
The other challenge was a 3-mth challenge that started in Apr. So I am pretty sure it is over. Here is the link for reference purposes: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122039&highlight=baggy+challenge
The beans are spilling:gorgeous::

Okay part your hair like you normally would for a bantu. Follow my plastic wrapping instructions (in fotki My Methods folder) bantu wrap and secure.

Hair comes out feeling like VELVET!!!

I suggest using just a tad bit of oil and water to baggy with. No heavy moisturizers or the curls wont be bouncy.

madamone

I baggy with my rollersets. I actually use perm rods most of the time. I do this several times a week. I'm also old school and roll my hair up at night with satin foam rollers. I baggy those too. With the rollersets it takes longer for my hair to dry. I do it early enough so that it is dry in the morning. I have thick 3c/4a hair that is just making shoulder lenght in the back.

Count me in for the challenge! How long are we going for?

purity28

I think I'm interested but could someone explain how to baggy exactly?? Is it just putting oil in your hair at night and leaving a plastic cap on. I know my hair could use it but I'm not sure sure what to do:wallbash:

I would love to partake in the baggy challenge because I were buns constantly. HOWEVER! I don't think I'm using the right product on my hair. I take the baggy off in the evening and even though my hair is not tangled, hair just comes out...mostly from the root (no short hair breakage). Am I being paranoid?! :perplexed Does my hair have too much protein? Is the baggy not for me? :sad: