Pressed natural hair & working out

NIK

How do you naturals who press your hair retain your straight style when working out?
I'm natural and want to wear my hair straight once in a while but I workout constantly and sweat from my hair. Does anyone has any suggestions??

very good question.

does anyone know? dont workout or anything but still cant keep it straight for more than 3days without reapplying heat (and yes i do wear a shower cap). as i'm on the bootcamp challenge cant apply heat now but would love to know so i can prepare for some proper showing off if my hair grows much longer!

Congrats on the constantly working out...I'm on my way there...Ummm...I just assumed that it meant you had to start over...wash, press, reset...you know the routine. Although, my mother is a pressed natural and she workout outside as to prevent sweating as much:ohwell:

This is my question too. I'm natural (for the moment) and anything too strenuous kinks my hair. It's a process. I've decided to texturize my hair. I find that I have to use too much heat with the press.

Working out is a must.

i am not a nautural yet....
I just started trying to get into a regular workout routine.

Anyway I know that when I am finally natural I am only going to get my hair straightened once every four months and keep it straight for 2 weeks. I figure if I am consistent enough with my workout routine I can sacrifice two weeks so that I do not sweat my hair out.
I don't do the straightening myself and I refuse to pay to get it done for it to be all messed up in less than a week and a half.

I know alot of ladies may not agree with that. But if you exercise all the time and only staighten once every four months. Then only missing 6 weeks out of YEAR of exercising is not that bad. (and of course that time frame would be spread out)

I'm a natural and I press (or flat iron) my hair.

Nothing is going to keep your hair 100% straight at the roots. All I do is put my hair in a loose bun and work out with no scarf or anything on my head. I do this because I have found that when you work out with a scarf on, moisture gets "trapped" in your head.

After working out, I let my hair down and allow my scalp to breathe for a few minutes. I might run my fingers through my head or something like that. Then I comb my hair down the way I want it and I put a scarf on to lay the roots down. I usually have the scarf on for about an hour, since I work out in the mornings. The scarf keeps my hair down while I'm showering and getting ready to go to work, etc. By the time I get to work, my roots are still under control. HTH

I wouldn't work out with pressed natural hair. I had a hard time keeping my hair from frizzy up and reverting back while it was straight. I didn't work out that week either.

I wrap my hair and put my silk scarf on it before I work out. You can also put a cap on over it if you would feel more comfortable. After working out, make sure your hair is completely dry before combing it out of the wrap.

I do what Glamour Girl does minus the wrap. I simply put my hair in a bun or a cross wrap and put a little jojoba oil on it. Then I put scarf on and workout.

I've gotten the best results doing this. My roots are still flat (although sometimes wavy) and the length seems to stay straight and unfrizzy.

I'd like to know the answer to this question too. This problem is what stopped me from going natural leading me to relax my hair again. I wore a press and curl constantly (with very healthy hair) for three years, and I'm ashamed to say that I avioded the gym like the plague. I sweat like crazy when I work out and I let this just stop me from working out. Now I exercise 6 days a week and this is not compatable with a press. Unfortunately, I like straight hair and if I go natural, the press and curl would be my style of choice.

Browndilocks said:

Nothing is going to keep your hair 100% straight at the roots. All I do is put my hair in a loose bun and work out with no scarf or anything on my head. I do this because I have found that when you work out with a scarf on, moisture gets "trapped" in your head.

After working out, I let my hair down and allow my scalp to breathe for a few minutes. I might run my fingers through my head or something like that. Then I comb my hair down the way I want it and I put a scarf on to lay the roots down. I usually have the scarf on for about an hour, since I work out in the mornings. The scarf keeps my hair down while I'm showering and getting ready to go to work, etc. By the time I get to work, my roots are still under control. HTH
This has worked for me and I've been natural for over 10 yrs. If I ever work out (rarely, I'm too lazy:ohwell:), I won't put any type of scarf on. Then afterwards, I'll put a little oil on the edges and put my scarf on. My edges come out nice and flat. This also works if your hair gets a little wet/frizzy from the shower.

When I use to wear my hair in a press n curl I would work out lightly for the first week (no cardio). The second week, I would do yoga or pilates in place of cardio (first two days only). By Wed. because at this time I know I'm going to get my hair done on Sat. I can bun for the remaining 3 days. I would turn everything up 12 notches and do some serious cardio and weight training add an extra cardio session on Sat before going to the shop.

I wish I could use the scarf method, but my hair curls quickly and I end up looking like I need a touch up on my jheri curl. I get that thick root stringy look, not very pretty.

Well what I do...because my new work out routine involves roller skating...(smiles) is put a lot of oil in my hair. This is an old school way of stopping your hair from reverting. I literally put a LOT of oil on my hair and go skating, then afterwards my hair is still bone straight. By day three it's still straight and I wash once a week.

I usually never put oil or grease in my hair but I know that if I don't, this 4a/b flat iron will look like an afro by the time I go around that roller rink even once! Believe me it's happened before and I have had people tell me I looked like Oprah in the 80's! That's not cool. No, no, not cool.

So I've learned my lesson.

P.S. The truth of the matter is that if you want a clean scalp whether you're natural or relaxed, you will need to wash it after working out. Sweat sitting dry on the scalp isn't good for hair health.

lana said:
Well what I do...because my new work out routine involves roller skating...(smiles) is put a lot of oil in my hair. This is an old school way of stopping your hair from reverting.
I literally put a LOT of oil on my hair and go skating, then afterwards my hair is still bone straight. By day three it's still straight and I wash once a week.

I use this process as well,:)
Not to the point of dripping but
it keeps my hair straight for a week. I could go longer but I need to wash no less than once per week.
Now that I'm in "boot camp":ohwell: , I'll be purchasing a hooded dryer in a couple of weeks when I need to do comparison shots.;)

Has anyone had success using Sabino Moisture Block to prevent the hair from reverting from straight to natural? It sucks that hair is healthier natural but working out and keeping natural hair straight is so difficult. This is the main reason I want to go to texlax/relax which ever ends up being better.

Last edited:
I know there's a thread about this by the rollerstaking girl, i forget her name.. pinkskater maybe? pinkskates?

Anyway, it's a long and popular thread...

My technique (not 100% natural yet, but transitioning and have almost 2 years of new growth) is

Pull hair into tight and high ponytail. make a bun. Put cotton scarf around head (like a headband, not covering my whole head, but kinda like people would wear "sweatbands" i guess.) workout. Immediately remove headband, let hair dry before taking bun and ponytail down. if it's kinda bad, I will put my hair into a low ponytail to continue drying while i'm back at work.

works for me. and i dont use any products other than coconut oil w/ my beloved maxiglide.

I sweat a lot in my hair too and I flat-ironed my hair for the first time this past weekend since I BC'd last yr- yaay! I worked out yesterday for 1.5 hrs with no problem. I pinned my hair up loosely with bobby pins at the crown of my head and my hair also had hairspray in it- so maybe that helped.

Tonite is my Zumba class and I will be there- a little reversion at the roots won't stop me. :hula:

Thanks...i think I've seen that pinkskages post but after 10 pages or so its pretty much too overwhelming especially if I haven't been reading everyday.

I tried pin curling the other day but my roots just "swole" up for no good reason. I pin curled when i worked out and i let it dry completely before i took it down.

I ordered some Sabino today...I plan on trying my last few holdouts before officially texlaxing.

I did my first workout today after my BKT treatment (first wash out was Monday night) and I have no reversion.

I put my hair in a high ponytail with a cotton scarf around my head leaving the ponytail exposed. I let my hair dry and then took down the ponytail. My hair still looks great. Tomorrow I am doing weights & cardio and I plan to try the same method.

It doesn't work for me, either. I am trying to figure out what is best for me or my hair. I still have more research to do. I tried sabino. It did not stay strait . It took 3 hours to straiten my TWA and it took less time to revert. I definitely do not plan on spending 3 hours every time I want to style my hair. I will lightly texlax in the future. I used less heat as a relaxed person. I air dried in a roller set or used my curling iron once every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

OMG This is me. I don't need to say anymore. It works. I don't even like my hair 100% when pressing it. I prefer it when it's slightly curly like later on during the day after a work out.

How do you naturals who press your hair retain your straight style when working out?
I'm natural and want to wear my hair straight once in a while but I workout constantly and sweat from my hair. Does anyone has any suggestions??

I oil my hair down at the roots. It seems to help it stay sorta straight. But a little reversion always happens. I workout with my hair in a high loose pony, no headband or scarf.

Back