Tips Wanted: How to Successfully Manage New Growth

How do you manage (keep pliable) your new growth?

• Total voters

KnottyGurl

We have so many different threads about stretching, transitioning, texturizing, etc. that I wanted to use one thread to gather information addressing one of the main issues: How to successfully manage new growth.

Post what works for you here; feel free to include:

*Products you use and how often
*Appliances you use and how often
*How often you manipulate the new growth
*Anything you do that's not 'on the books' (posted on LHCF)
*Whatever worked/works for you

I looking for new techniques and will keep trying until I find the right one.

Thanks for sharing.

Gg

Update: My Method
In order to keep my new growth managable, I co-wash twice a week and DC once a week. I also use Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz serum and Surge Woojee Cream right before I blowdry it with the Ionic hand dryer with comb attachment. It is about 1000% better than my regular Gold N Hot dryer. But now, b/c I use heat, I've been thinking about cutting down to 2 washes a week: 1 Co-wash and 1 DC. I'm afraid of losing the curl even though up until this point, I haven't had any problems. What do you think?

Last edited:

Daisimae

I've never had an easier time with ng as I have had for the last few weeks.

I've been pre-pooing, twice a week, with Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner. I've applied it directly to my roots with a slant-tip color applicator bottle, then wearing a plastic cap for one hour. After washing, conditioning and DC'ing I've been using Sunsilk's Straighten-Up 24/7 creme on my ng especially along my hair line, front and back. I've dried using a blow dryer, under a hood dryer with a couple of wrap strips holding my hairline down and with a rollerset.

My ng has stayed soft, moisturized and manageable. If I didn't have an event to go to soon, I would be stretching a few weeks longer.

Mom23

Conditioner washes twice a week and keeping the new growth moist with Giovanni Direct leave in. :)

Missi

For me: prepooing w/ Amla Oil (softens ng) shampooing w/ a detangling moisture shampoo (detangles soften ng) and using a moisturizing conditioner (moisturizes smoothes ng) followed w/ regular moisturizing the hair: allows my ng to lay flatter and blend in w/ my hair when AIR DRYING

If i'm styling i'll ROLLERSET my hair: doesn't matter which products I use: i just make sure my hair isn't tangled: to get my new growth straighten: i'll blow at my roots "macherimour has a blow out tutorial" so it can blend in: rollersetting allows my new growth to become very soft "skinny toothed combs glide right thru" so blowing them out is a breeze: great when stretching.

SouthernTease

Daisimae said:
I've never had an easier time with ng as I have had for the last few weeks.

I've been pre-pooing, twice a week, with Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner. I've applied it directly to my roots with a slant-tip color applicator bottle, then wearing a plastic cap for one hour. After washing, conditioning and DC'ing I've been using Sunsilk's Straighten-Up 24/7 creme on my ng especially along my hair line, front and back. I've dried using a blow dryer, under a hood dryer with a couple of wrap strips holding my hairline down and with a rollerset.

My ng has stayed soft, moisturized and manageable. If I didn't have an event to go to soon, I would be stretching a few weeks longer.

This is a cool idea... I never thought of using an applicator brush for washing.

sareca

I use oils, butters and MSM to keep my NG soft.

ETA: Oh and Aveda DR. :grin:

Last edited:

Lotus

Post what works for you here; feel free to include:

*Products you use and how often*
Once in a blue moon: Coconut milk/lime mixture, Chi silk infusion, Lacio lacio
Once a month: Elucence poo
Bi-weekly: DC w/Emergencee, Aphogee, Honey, Alma mixture
Bi-weekly: AVC, DC w/Emergencee (til dry, no plastic bag) (maybe add coconut milk)
Every 2 to 4 days: Elucence MB (co-wash), Emergencee or Silicon Mix in shower 5 mins, then rinse brush out under shower, Elucence MB (leave in), Nu-grow moisturizer, Coconut oil/diluted Mango butter seal, Sulfur mix on scalp, IC gel.. bun.
Every 1-2 days: Sulfur mix & Nu-grow moisturizer

*Appliances you use and how often*
Weekly: Hard hat dryer
Once in a blue moon:Flat iron (Chi) to check growth & trim ends.

*How often you manipulate the new growth*
At least twice a day: Brush into bun when I wake up, brush/massage to distribute Sulfur mix when I come home and/or brush or finger comb to tie hair down at night. *I loose less hair if I brush/manipulate everyday. If I let it go to long... my hair tangles up and breaks off*.

*Whatever worked/works for you*
Letting my hair air dry some, before I pony/bun *when I'm patient enough:(* because I need a somewhat tightned/smooth ponytail to air dry. My hair dries straighter :lol: this way... so the texture difference between relaxed and new-growth is lessened... resulting in, for me, less breakage. I wear looser pony/bun after my hair is dry.. until next co-wash...

coconow2007

So far what works for me is ORS Moisturizing lotion and Wild Growth. I apply both to my hair after wash and dc. Seems to help so far....

bravenewgirl87

Get a good conditioner and leave it it your hair. It has so be super thick and hydrating, mix it in your hand with vegetable glycerine and rub. It will detangle your hair very well. I try hard not to comb my hair when I have crazy new growth, and I try to do styles that I now it won't matter if my hair isn't perfect. (The curly rollerset, look in siggy for results).

Some great detanglers:

Qhemet Biologics Olive Cream Detangler
Africa's Best Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Lotion
Glycerine, jojoba oil, water
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

KnottyGurl

SouthernTease said:
This is a cool idea... I never thought of using an applicator brush for washing.

I never thought of that either. I was trying to part the hair and squeeze the bottle of CON...definitely not working. I'm going to use that method on Tuesday for my next co-wash. Excellent idea!

Thanks ladies for participating in the polls and posting your tips. It's always great to hear other people's regimen b/c it might inspire you to do/try something different.

Keep them coming ladies!:clap:

bravenewgirl87

GeechyGurl said:
I never thought of that either. I was trying to part the hair and squeeze the bottle of CON...definitely not working. I'm going to use that method on Tuesday for my next co-wash. Excellent idea!

Thanks ladies for participating in the polls and posting your tips. It's always great to hear other people's regimen b/c it might inspire you to do/try something different.

Keep them coming ladies!:clap:

Well, lets get your opinion. Why do I give everyone good advice but I can't never follow it..:ohwell::look:

KnottyGurl

:lol: Sorry, I can't answer that one. I've been guilty of this too. Try to look at the bright side of it, b/c you already know what needs to be done, when you're ready, it'll be a breeze.;) At least that's how it went for me.

bravenewgirl87 said:
Well, lets get your opinion. Why do I give everyone good advice but I can't never follow it..:ohwell::look:

Evazhair

*Products you use and how often:

about 1-2 weeks pre touch up
once a week wash/add coconut milk to a moisturizing/detangling deep conditioner(Praital Silkworm)
rollerset using diluted elucence mb and Lacio Lacio : new growth becomes a loose wave/straight looking.
during week:
home made pomade of aloe gel, jojoba, coconut, castor oils as needed to keep soft/moisturized

*Appliances you use and how often
hood dryer only at dc/set

*How often you manipulate the new growth
only detangle pre wash/part with fingers to moisturize in between

*Anything you do that's not 'on the books'

I don't know/think so, but I am using Elucence Protective Barrier Balm on moisturized hair about 2 days before touch up and it keeps my hair silky/detangled.

*Whatever worked/works for you
the previously stated. HTH

Last edited:

skoloco

For those of you that have not tried porosity control...I started using this about 2 months ago and it has made the difference in handling new growth. I can actually stretch longer because of this. I use Roux Porosity Control about once per week, and it really makes your new growth hold moisture so much better. I highly recommend it.

KnottyGurl

Where can I get this? In a local store or do I have to order by website? Thanks!
skoloco said:
For those of you that have not tried porosity control...I started using this about 2 months ago and it has made the difference in handling new growth. I can actually stretch longer because of this. I use Roux Porosity Control about once per week, and it really makes your new growth hold moisture so much better. I highly recommend it.

seymone

Dont walk run to the nearest cvs or walgreens and get you some Sunsilk straighten up 24/7 creme your hair will looks as though it is freshly relaxed...

KnottyGurl

I saw that stuff, but because I never heard anything about it, I just passed by it. How do you use it? If you press, blowdry, flatiron, etc. your hair, do you use it before you press? Or do you just add it and air-dry? Whatever you can tell me about it, I appreciate it.:)

seymone said:
Dont walk run to the nearest cvs or walgreens and get you some Sunsilk straighten up 24/7 creme your hair will looks as though it is freshly relaxed...

Daisimae

GeechyGurl said:
I saw that stuff, but because I never heard anything about it, I just passed by it. How do you use it? If you press, blowdry, flatiron, etc. your hair, do you use it before you press? Or do you just add it and air-dry? Whatever you can tell me about it, I appreciate it.:)

This stuff is the BOMB! I use it on my wet hair right after I rinse out my DC. It is the first leave in I apply right at the roots. You can style your hair any way you want after using it. I've blow-dried, dried under the hard hat dryer w/out rollers, (used a wrap strip to press my ng down), and rollerset. I got the same straight results each time. I also use their Hydra TLC creme all over my hair and the De-Frizz creme just on my ends.

SouthernTease said:

I got my slant-tip applicator squeeze bottle at Sallys. It's the same kind usually used for color application. I think it helps me not use as much conditioner too.

I use PC once a week too. I never thought about it helping ng, I know my hair isn't dried out like it was before I found out about it.

Last edited:

seymone

GeechyGurl said:

I usually put a generous amount and then tie my hair down with silk scarf.. In the morning my hair is very straight.

Cholet112

sareca said:
I use oils, butters and MSM to keep my NG soft.

ETA: Oh and Aveda DR. :grin:

Same here! plus I co-wash every other day with Herbal Essence Hello hydration (My hair Looooovvveeeesss this stuff). I follow my co-wash with Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer as a leave in. On the days I dont CW I just re-wet my hair, twist and bun and Im good to go.

skoloco

GeechyGurl said:
Where can I get this? In a local store or do I have to order by website? Thanks!

I get mine from Sally's. I don't use the shampoo, just the conditioner. Apply a generous amount and leave in about 5 minutes and rinse. Then I apply my deep conditioner. I didn't notice a change right away--after about 3 times I could really see it.

kandegirl

Well here's what I did yesterday, I'm almost five months post and I think I'll get a relaxer this weekend.

Detangled hair w/ ORS conditoner
Clarified hair w/ Suave clarifying shampoo
Shampooed again w/ Kenra
Applied Aprogee (hardcore one)-dried under dryer
Rinse and applied Aphrogee Balancing Moisturiser for two minutes
Deep Conditioned w/ Kenra, Generic Nexxus Humextress, and ORS conditioner all mixed together w/ oil on my ends
Rinsed and detangled and applied Fermodoyl
Oil my scalp with Mizani Oil (first time) and put in a ponytail and dried

My hair feels great today. I do these steps when I'm this far post relaxer minus the Aprogee treatment. I added that step b/c I'm getting a relaxer.:)

envybeauty

For me, I have been applying just Elasta QP Mango Butter direclty to my new growth every day, sometimes every other. I find that just using a good moisturizer helps to keep it soft. At night, tie down with a scarf to get it to lie flat. Limit combing...as in don't do it every day!

Creatividual

deep condition, deep condition, deep condition! i deep condition my hair with every wash and it keeps my new growth very moisturized and soft. i don't use any heat on my hair anymore really so i air dry my hair with a moisturizing leave in.

right now i like to air dry with infusium 23 moisturology leave in and Kemi oyl to seal. my new growth and hair over all is left feeling moisturized and managable. when i start getting a lot of new growth though (starting 6 or 7 weeks post), i don't comb my hair as much and just finger comb into protective hairstyles like buns, etc.

Seeking8Rights

In addition to washing weekly, I also prepoo with ORS Mayo and Vatika oil. When I prepoo I apply to the roots first and then apply to the rest of my hair. Doing this really softens my NG regardless of how post I am.

Daily maintenence consist of sectioning my hair off in little ponies, lightly misting each section from root to ends (my hair is damp not wet) and basically applying either ORS Carrot oil or Profectiv Daily Leave in to my NG and then smoothing down my ends (I don't use a lot just a little), then I seal each section with either Vatika or Hot 6 oil (HOT 6, until my Jojoba and sweet almond oil gets here). Then I finger through my hair into a pony and clip above my head, slap a shower cap on and go to bet.

Since I have been doing this my new growth is so soft and agile that I can brush from roots to ends (sectioned off of course). I've also noticed that my hair retains moisture throughout the day and my ends are smooth.

I hope this helps.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
seymone said:
I usually put a generous amount and then tie my hair down with silk scarf.. In the morning my hair is very straight.

OK, wait ... you guys are saying that your new growth gets straight without using heat whatsoever just by using this product and using the scarf method to air dry? If so, I may have to run over a few pedestrians getting to the CVS.

Last edited: