BSL & Longer who co-wash & others w/ significant growth

How may cowashers (bsl or if less are retaining all growth) are natural vs. relaxed

• Natural

Votes: 108 49.8%
  • Relaxed

Votes: 109 50.2%

• Total voters

ladylibra

Those who co-wash BSL & Longer or w/ significant growth through cowash:

1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use (name products please)
2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what products?
3) Do you also dc and how often.
4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes.
5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list)
6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner?

1) I co-wash every other day when it's warmer out, no co-washing in winter. I use some doctored-up V05 conditioners to co-wash (add honey, olive oil, green tea).

2) Since I stick to a pretty "organic" routine outside of conditioner, I do not use shampoo. I use ayurvedic powders (shikakai, brahmi and amla) to clean my hair and scalp - unless I am straightening my hair and using Sabino MB. Then I will use Head and Shoulders shampoo (my SO's shampoo) before and after straightening, to make sure there are no unnatural products leaving buildup on my hair.

3) I DC once a week when I detangle with some doctored-up TJ Nourish Spa conditioner (add honey, olive oil, chamomile tea). I also make an avocado DT once a month, and have now incorporated henna into my routine once a month too. (Feel free to PM me for more details on my routine.)

4) Protective styles definitely supplement my routine. But it also works great if you wear your hair "out" or loose, like I do.

5) I actually use my co-wash concoction as a leave-in as well. After rinsing, I add more of it to the length and ends of my hair (not the scalp!) and then style as usual.

6) Shampooing on a regular basis only dries my hair out and contributes to tangles. Even SLS-free shampoos do this to me. :sad: Co-washing does just the opposite. And since ayurvedic powders clean my hair and scalp just fine... why would I ever go back? :lol:

ladylibra

Also do you find as your hair gets longer that you cowash less? For example that you might have done 5X a week and now it's 2X or whatever?

Definitely! When I first BC'd and had 2 inches of hair, I'd co-wash every day. And when my hair was shorter, my hair got flattened during sleep and there was no other way to revive it.

Now that it's longer, it takes longer to dry. I can pineapple when I sleep and get decent hair for a week with this method and not have to re-wash. Or even sleep in a puff-bun and my hair still be fine for the next day if I'm just wearing a puff for work. But mostly I do this in winter because... well... who wants cold wet hair in winter? :lol:

In summer, I can co-wash my hair at 8:30 a.m., plop while I get ready for work, and put it in a puff right before going to work at 10 a.m. It's slighly damp so I can pull it back, but dry enough that it's not dripping on me or anything and the coils are pretty much set.

Simply_Kelz

1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use (name products please) There was a period when I cowashed daily, but as of late, it's every other day or every three days. I use VO5 and Suave Naturals.
2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what products? Whenever, generally every couple of weeks.
3) Do you also dc and how often. I generally DC every couple of weeks as well.
4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes. I've protective styled with this routine, but I also get great results wearing my hair down in low-mani styles.
5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list) I use my cowashing conditioner as a leave-in, add coconut oil, and sometimes alcohol free gel for the edges.
6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner? Yes, yes, and because I get sleek, soft, moisturized hair with cowashing, whereas with shampooing I may get dry hair.

babyhurr4

1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use (name products please).....I co wash 2-3xs a week. I rotate between moisture maniac Tigi conditioner, pantene beautiful lengths, Giovanni Triple Threat or Mane n' TAil texturizer conditioner.
2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what products?.....I shampoo every other week with CON(green label bottle), Tigi moisture maniac and Matrix hydration shampoo. I rotate my shampoos, of course. I clarify once a month with ORS creamy aloe
3) Do you also dc and how often......I deep condition my hair 1-2xs a week and rotate treatments with Matrix hydration balm, Doo grow thickening treatment or Olive oil hair mayonaise by Vitale(from Sally's).
4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes.....make sure your moisture and protein is balanced out and air drying works great for retaining purposes! Don't pull or put tension on the hair while wet.
5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list)....I use aphogee provitamin leave in, moisturize with cantu shea butter or hydrathermal naturals moisturizing growth lotion and seal with oil of choice. I also add peppermint oil, rosemary oil, honey or coconut oil to my deep conditioners.
6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner?.....
oh heck yeah! Co washing is the bisness! lol....I believe it helps my hair feel stronger, moisturized, thicker and overall hydrated! I definitely believe that co washing aids in some mad growth and thickness :) I only use shampoo to cleanse my scalp only every other week and just run the remaining lather down the length of my hair and that has helped me to reach between waist length and hip.

silvergirl

1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use (name products please) every day , i use any conditioner though right now its mark anthony

2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what products?n/a

3) Do you also dc and how often. n/a

4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes. less heat, i always airdry,

5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list) i do not use any extra products, less is more for me

6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner?yes! i believe co-washing everyday is the main reason for my growth and retention

silvergirl

Also do you find as your hair gets longer that you cowash less? For example that you might have done 5X a week and now it's 2X or whatever?

nope, when i was bsl natural two years ago i was still co-washing everyday.

it didnt get any harder for me,
also just recently from my 2nd bigchop last year till now. i havent changed a thing, it just works for me:)

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use (name products please) When I'm less than 8 weeks posted I co-wash almost daily, amybe skipping a day or 2.

2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what products? I use shampoo once a week, but I'm thinking of using shampoo once once a month and see if I see a difference in my hair.

3) Do you also dc and how often. I DC a min. of 2x a week

4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes. Make sure to add protein, and protect your ends

5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list) Rusk smoother conditioner, my butter mix, HE LTR moisturizer, sometimes aloe vera mix, and oil mix

6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner? Yes it has, and I will forever continue to do it.

aquajoyice

1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use?
VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberry and Cream (this stuff works like magic :grin: )

2) If you shampoo how often and with what products?Once a week while stretching and every 3 days when not stretching. I used CON green label or Dove

3) Do you also dc and how often. At lease once a week I use different con but I always add egg (if doing protein, aloe vera, honey, coconut and or Jojoba oils

4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes. Since i'm stretching i'm detangling before I wash, I do a pre-poo using VO5 and detangle with con in my hair then rinse etc etc.

5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list) Shea butter, coconut oil, aloe vera gel, jojoba oil etc. all natural stuff

6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner?
Reply With Quote:

I like how moisturized my hair feels afterwards, it helps me detangle and makes my new growth easier to manage all the while keeping my hair clean. I loose less than half the hair I would if I didn't co-wash and that says a lot of retaining length. :yep:

lilyofthevalley

I co-wash every other day. I usually use Herbal Essence long term relationship. Sometimes I use Aubrey Organics Island Naturals or White Camellia.

I shampoo once every week with Porosity Control shampoo or Giovanni 50/50 Balancing Shampoo.

I deep condition once a week; whenever I shampoo.

4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes.
I don't really know if this special information, but I only detangle my hair once a week, during the time the I shampoo my hair. I also wear protective styles most of the time.

5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list)
I use Herbal Essence Long term relationship leave-in after I co-wash and I seal the ends of my hair with either extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Sometimes, I also use IC Fantasia hair gel or aloe vera gel to style my hair.

I don't think that co-washing in itself helps me to retain hair growth but it definitely helps to moisturize my hair. When I first started taking better care of my hair, I used to shampoo and deep condition my hair twice a week. But I found that that actually made my hair feel dry. When I dropped the extra shampoo/deep condition day and started co-washing every other day, my hair felt much softer and more moisturized.

ktykaty

My answers are in blue

I cowash once or twice a week. I use some cheapie con or Yes to carrots con

I use castile soap to shampoo every over week if my scalp fells dirty or greasy. I do a clarifying shampoo every over month.

Aphogee 2 min reconstructor followed by DC with yes to carrots hair mask or conditionner + amla/shikaikai/Brami powders doned every over week

I'm natural. when I wear my hair loose I need to cowash more often, 3/4 times a week. When I wear my hair in twist or in braids I can cowash once or twice a week. And you always need to be mindfull of your ends if you want to retain growth.

My strands are very fine, so I don't use lots of products. I use shea butter or coconut oil or castor oil on wet hair and that's it.

I avoid shampoo because generelly they are too arsh and strip my hair of moisture. Cowashing allows me to have clean, healthy & easy to mange natural hair.
For retention, I moisturize and seal my ends every over day.

HTH

Curlykale

I cowash every 2 or 3 days, between shampoos. I wet my length only (not the scalp), keeping out of the shower. I use any cheapie conditioners without glycerin/ humectants / protein.

Shampoo once a week with natural baby shampoos (always a different one, the ones with cocobetaine and cocostuff, not soap as I have hard water), clarify with Faith in Nature shampoo which has one sulfate from coconut (although it has salt, so I'll try Giovanni next)

Aubrey Organics White Camellia, GPB or Rosa Mosqueta: I only need to keep my DC for about 15 minutes without heat and I do it once a week, when I shampoo. GPB for a shorter time, because I'm protein sensitive (but I need some protein as I keep conditioner in my hair all the time).

I'm natural. Basically, I never let my hair become dry/ brittle. Every night I add a conditioner to my ends that has no glycerine and no humectants: I find humectants to work for a too short time / to be moody depending on the weather and I want a simple life / I want to keep fully moisturized for 24 hours. When I style I always do a final re-detangling with the denman grooming COMB to avoid single strand knots.

unfortunately I'm still in the process of finding the perfect leave-ins and I'm not satisfied with the market in Europe, so I don't want to talk about products I'm not in love with (I want to make my own leave in at some point), but : moisturizing conditioner without humectants, without glycerine and without protein, moisturizing butter (I like hydrogenated oils for sealing, i.e. avocado or olive butter), olive oil, kccc.

I noticed my hair needs water every 3 days in order to keep elastic and "fresh". I co-wash my length only during the week so it takes me almost no time to air dry. Sometimes I cheat and I only wet for 5 seconds the whole length and apply the conditioner, escpecially in the winter: it's been working so far. I do shampoo every week and my scalp doesn't like conditioner, so I co-wash my length only even when I'm the shower. This practice has made a big difference in my hair, yes. As long as I still moisturize every day and detangle my ends with the comb when I style, I retain more length this way.

Emz Forever

OK, so I'm not BSL yet (sniff)....but daily/every other got cowashing got me from my EL pixie cut to NL in 4 months (Nov 09 - March 10). I am relaxed 4a.

4 - 5x per week. I currently use V05 Moisture Milks Champagne Kisses, mixed with 1 tsp of ceramide conditioner eg Matrix Biolage Colourcaretherapie Delicate Care Masque, and some oils. I have used various cheapies in the past but now that I've tried V05, I am NEVER using anything else. lol

I shampoo 1x per week with Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Rehydrating Shampoo. It has sls but is v moisturising. My hair hates sls free poos.

I treat my cowashes like dcs. My hair responds better to cowashing when I apply the conditioner to dry hair, let it sit under a shower cap for a few minutes, then just rinse. For my main dc, after shampooing, I use aphogee 2 minute, then follow up with a yummy moisture mix of AOHSR, Silk Elements and some oils or AOWC, Elasta QP Intense and some oils.

I add a v small amount of ceramide or light protein containing conditioner to my cowash conditioner because with all that moisture, I need to make sure my hair has some resiliency. And I dont do a lot of combing. I only lightly comb through when I've put my leave ins. This gives me really good elasticity

I tshirt dry my hair for like 5 minutes, then spray my Elasta QP H2 leave-in, and then apply my soft n free n pretty olive oil growth lotion mixed with a few drops of grapeseed oil. Then I leave it to airdry under a scarf overnight. In the morning I lightly moisturise with the lotion, finger style, and go.

I def think this helped me retain length because my hair is always moisturised. I lose very few hairs from dryness and snapping off. I still like to shampoo and condition. Occasionally, I may shampoo 2x instead of 1x a week, but by and large, the cowashing gives me lovley moist hair with very little time spent. The last few months, I cut my washing down to only 2x a week cos I convinced myself the frequent cowashing was over doing it. Bad idea...hello breakage. So i am back on my cowashng game. Hopefully, this will get me to SL by December :look:.

HTH!!

belldandy

i cowash like 3 times a week and I use allsorts of conditioners, my current fav is the yes to carrots line
i am relaxed, mbl

SingBrina

I am relaxed as well. My fav conditioner to co wash with is Suave Humetecant, I get excited just to see the huge bottles at the store. I also use Hair One, I believe it is called... cant remember any others, hmmm... When I co wash I do so about 2-3 times a week

Diva_Esq

1) How often do you co-wash and what do you use (name products please)- Daily with Herbal Essence None of Your Frizzness & either Tresemme Naturals or Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac
2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what products?- 1-2x per month with Herbal Essence None of Your Frizzness Poo or Keracare Sulfate-Free Moisturizing & Detangling. I don't like Poo much, I only use a small amount every once in a while to reduce build up if my hair isn't styling the way I know it can and I only lather up once.
3) Do you also dc and how often.- 1x per week with Elucence, Shescentit Banana Brulee or whatever deep con I'm into, EVCO or EVOO & honey under heat or baggied while I workout or sleep. I protein about 1x every 1-3 months if I see shedding.
4) What other special things should one keep in mind when following this regimen for retaining purposes. I always layer SheaMoisture Curl Smoothie on top of my leave-in. My leave-in is Victoria's Secret So Sexy Nourish. I tame my edges with Eco Styler gel and Garnier Wax. I K.I.S.S.!
5) What other products do you use on your hair after you co wash (details ladies! Share your product list)- see #4
6) Do you think co-washing help you to retain hair growth, moisturize, and heck why do you like cowashing over regular shampoo and conditioner? YES!!!! My hair is so moist. Curls and coils so bouncy and shiny, waves so deep. And I have grown 4 inches in 5 months with 1 trim since my April BC. I'm growing and retaining well! I prefer conditioner over poo and I'm addicted to conditioner!

Lucia

I'm about bottom bsl stretched and natural very wavy and curly thick dense med coarse
I CW weekly in winter every other day to daily in summer.
My staple conditioner is suave tropical coconut it gives great slip and moisture and it's cheap :lol: so it's perfect for thick hair like mine cause I use up A LOT of product. I sometimes alternate with mane n tail hh cocnut orchid or aubrey organics hsr

2) If you shampoo how often (ex: once a month) and with what

I don't use shampoo anymore ever period.

Yes I try to Moisture DC every 2 weeks w cond on hand and my oils under heat cap or steamer but mostly its when I need it. I always do an oil pre CW with evoo since it's a staple oil along with evco wgo for winter or safflower oil I also do protein treats when I need I use an egg in reg cond or spring for Aphogee 2 step. I'm looking into AOGPB as a good proteins staple. I'm tired of stinky rotten eggs and that dryer.

I try to do PS most times and keep my ends moist or oiled at all times if wearing it up in ps. If I'm wearing it down I keep it lightly oiled at the very ends only at night and tie it up in a scarf.
I use organic bringaraj oil for scalp massages To promote hair health thickness and faster growth. I also clarify w acv diluted w water for scalp and hair every 2 weeks if I'm CW daily then clarify every week pay attention to your ends keep them moist oiled trimmed not necessarily even but healthy and you'll retain growth
I never manipulate or comb my curls dry I always mist w water avj or lightly oiled to comb or finger comb through otherwise I just fluff finger styl and go.

I use the same cond for CW and leave in and hen I seal w my evoo SFO mix.
When I want extra moisture for ends I go over that w Shea butter.
I slick down my edges w Eco styler or aloe vera gel for buns.

Def YES!
I did have to find the right conds my hair liked but after that it's easy. I tried sulfate free and natural shampoos and it's was always The same dry frizzy tangled mess of hair. Ever since I found CW I haven't looked back. My hair has improved and I think that's what got me to my length goals.

Products

Suave coconut cond or an alternate
Evoo SFO evco then evco & wgo for winter they're thicker oils I still dilute wgo w evoo a bit so it will be absorbed into the hairshaft.
East African Shea butter from slice of nature on amazon.com
Eco styler olive oil gel
Kckt and kccc for w n gos
Apogee heavy 2 step treatment soon to change to medium protein

Now you still have to find which priducts and oil combos work for you but this is what works for me. HHG

Last edited:

NYDee

I'm also very curious about this.
Would you please add 2 more question? "How do you dry your hair and how do you wear your hair" Thanks.:)

Lucia

I'm also very curious about this.
Would you please add 2 more question? "How do you dry your hair and how do you wear your hair" Thanks.:)

I air dry my hair in 2 braids or if it's a wng I style the curls and air dry.
I only diffuse Or blow dry if its really cold and o must go out the same day or in a hurry. I wear my hair curly most time in buns ponytails wng twist braid outs and straight when I feel like it.

MrsHdrLe

Are there any 4b/mostly 4b frequent co-washers still co-washing and experiencing geat retention? Wouldn't all that water and manipulation be too much for already dryer hair?

sunnieb

I'm finally BSL so I can answer!!!!! :grin:

3-4x a week - I alternate Garnier Triple Moisture and Herbal Essences LTR, Hydrolicious, and Touchbly Smooth.

I also started using WEN (love it!), but it's too expensive to use all the time. I only use it as a treat.

Once a week. I always use Nexxus Therappe. I clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo bi-weekly.

1x a week - alternating between Moisture (Nexxus Humectress) and light protein (Motions CPR).

Keep my ends super moist at all times. I moisturize 2x a day with ORS Carrot Oil and NTM.

ORS Carrot Oil, NTM, and Rusk Smoother.

Yes, cowashing helps keep my moisture levels up. It's also quick and easy to do during the week. I don't have to sit with a plastic cap on my head or spend time applying a dc. I also like trying different conditioner "flavors" :giggle:.

Lucia

Those of you who have been cowashing this much, do you notice an increase of ssks?

afrofaithful

No I never had a big problem with SSK's until I tried BKT for the 1st and last time. I get a couple here and there so I S&D them, but overall I think I'd have more SSK's if my hair weren't as moisturized and my hair loves water, so even in coldest of winter I mist my length then seal with LOC method, braid the length bun and baggie it up. In summer I CW daily or every other day, I haven't noticed any problems.

greenandchic

Those of you that use conditioners with cones to cowash do you have any build up issues?

When I did use conditioners with cones, I did have issues with dryness, hardness, etc - not so much buildup. I no longer use coney conditioners to cowash unless I KNOW I'm going to use a shampoo in a few days.