Questions for those of you who do your own relaxers..

divinefavor

I think I'm going to start doing my own touch ups. I have a few months though before making the final decision. I love when my friend does my hair, but I don't think she likes giving me touch ups when I've stretched 15 weeks or more and rightfully so. She also told me that she doesn't really have the passion anymore for doing hair. So, that was my que to either start doing it on my own or go back to Balisi. But, the salon that Balisi works in does not allow you to bring in your own relaxer. I currently use (ORS No lye relaxer).

My only concern with doing my own touch-ups is making sure I get the back of my head properly and trimming my ends. After stretching for so long each time, I know that I'm going to need to do some sort of trim or dusting in order for my hair to look right.

For those of you who self relax, what do you do to ensure that you're getting the back of your head properly? Do you trim your own hair, if so what technique do you use for trimming? Are there "How to Trim Videos" out there?
What techniques do you use to ensure that you don't overprocess your hair?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I do the 4 section technique..where I divide my hair into 4 equal sections..2 in front 2 in back..I apply the relaxer around the perimeter of each section (trying to just apply on ng only) I then "work" each section @ a time..with a gentle massaging & sqeezing motions..I will also part that 1 section down the middle to and do the same motions I mentioned b/4 to make sure al of the hair is straightened..I then go on to the next section and do the same thing again..this works well 4 me and I like my hair bone straight..hth

Energist

divinefavor said:
My only concern with doing my own touch-ups is making sure I get the back of my head properly and trimming my ends. After stretching for so long each time, I know that I'm going to need to do some sort of trim or dusting in order for my hair to look right.

For those of you who self relax, what do you do to ensure that you're getting the back of your head properly? Do you trim your own hair, if so what technique do you use for trimming? Are there "How to Trim Videos" out there?
What techniques do you use to ensure that you don't overprocess your hair?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I do a smooth over after I am finished with all parts of the head. This has been the only way that I've known for sure that all parts have been relaxed. I also have a timer on hand that I will set and as soon as the buzzer goes off I am off to the sink ;)

My husband trims my hair for me, however there are some how to videos on youtube and videojug if I'm not mistaken.

AKA-Tude

I posted this in another thread:

I spray SAA on all new growth, base my scalp & coat the ends of hair with something (oil, condis, etc.).

I wait about 30 min for the SAA to dry.

I part hair into 5 sections-

*from ear to ear section (this is the hardest area to relax cuz thick as heck!)
*Back 2 sections (second to relax incl. kitchen area)
*Front 2 sections (last to relax- fine hair)

I appy w/ a basting brush (can't find a perm brush over here)
then smooth w/ fingers (so I can feel the waves smooth out)

Relaxer sits on hair total 10-15 min (my hair is semi-resistant)

Then rinse starting from front of hair to back

before poo'ing, DC, neut. poo 2X, acv rinse, then poo 2X

condish, Leave-in, air dry

There are tutorials on youtube for hair trimming, but I don't do it every touch-up & I do more of a DUSTING instead of trim.

Start w/ very sharp scissors though- it really makes a difference!

pmichael52172

I too part my hair in 4 sections while basing my scalp. Whatever section I started with the last touch-up, I do that section last. (I'm quirky like that)

I lightly coat each section of hair with conditioner (to help protect my strands in case perm does get on it)

I apply my relaxer with a relaxer brush and because my front edges are fine, I do them last - right before I go through my whole head to smooth the relaxer in. For the back, I part neatly (with the handle of the brush) and just feel my way around. My new growth is so thick, I can tell where it is and where it stops.

To smooth it in, I repeat the pattern of my application process just parting and smoothing the new growth by brushing it (as if I were applying relaxer again). I also use to use the rattail of a fine tooth comb to part and then "comb" the new growth when it's REALLY thick. This also helps to make sure the back is well-taken care of too.

I smooth the edges really really well. I don't use a timer or wait a certain amount of time, usually I go to rinse when I'm done. I rinse from the crown area outward and then stop to smooth the front and back edges in more while the relaxer is still in those areas. When I'm satisfied, I rinse completely and VERY thouroughly.

Before I neutralize, I apply a protein or reconstructor treatment and rinse. Then I neutralize and use a moisturizing shampoo. Then I deep condition (dryer/ or conditioning cap) and style as usual.

I do dust after each touch up. I just comb all of my hair back and cut straight across. Obviously, my hair is not that long. Dusting is good practicing to cutting. Even if you're just missing and cutting "air" you're at least getting the hang of it.

lana

I'm glad you're thinking about trying this yourself. I self trim and I texlax my own hair. A texlax is a relaxer left on for a shorter amount of time. I go for underprocessed results so that I can keep my curl pattern.

I apply a base to the entire scalp (let sit for half an hour)
Part my hair in four sections, start at the most coarse section (left front)
Apply line after line of relaxer throughout each section
Rinse out after 7 minutes
Apply reconstructor (don't skip this critical step - it helps sooo much)
Apply Neutralizing Shampoo (until all the pink is out!)
Deep Condition
Style and go! :)

I usually trim my hair whenever it's needed. I use super sharp scissors. I'm currently growing out my layers and I'm almost there! :) There is a thread about trimming if you have time to do a search. It really helped me figure out what to do and now I see the results of my hard work, with length!

RubyWoo

The following is what I to ensure an efficient relaxer application and prevent overprocessing. I also relax straight and process for 15 min.
-I do Half/Half Method where the back will always be done first. I apply relaxer to the back only and then, rinse, condition and then neutralize. After the back is complete, I do the same for the front. I put a shower cap with clips attached to section that is not being worked on.
-Apply conditioner(I usually Profectiv Breakfree) to areas of hair already relaxed.
-Part hair in four sections; two in front and two in the back.
-Part 1/4 inch sections within sections and loosely twist each section. I got the twist technique from Softresses and it works like a charm. I didn't get any relaxer on my already relaxed hair and I was able to navigate quickly. I took about 2-3 min to apply relaxer to each quarter.
-Base scalp with a base creme(I used Vitale last time and it is nice and soothing).
-Apply vaseline at demarcation line (on relaxed part only) to ensure there is no overlap.
-Set timer for 15min.
-I begin applying relaxer to first quarter and start from the crown and move downwards. Whatever section I'm doing, I always start from the crown and then move downwards or forward.
-Smooth lightly with back of comb and fingers.
-Untwist sections in the last 1-2 minutes of processing. Since the twists are done loosley it doesnt'(shouldn't) take more than 1-2minutes to untwist.
-I Always rinse the section where the relaxer was applied first. Rinse for 2 min.
-Then rinse next section for 2 min.
-I Rinse for a total of about 5 min.
-Apply Aphogee 2 min reconstructor for 5-6 min with shower cap on.
-Rinse hair and then use neutralizing shampoo. Leave neutralizing shampoo for 5 min and then rinse. I neutralize 3 times and leave the neutralizing shampoo on for 5 min each time. I also use a neutralizing shampoo with a color indicator (usually Provectiv Neutralizing Mousse...I highly recommend i. It is soooo good. You don't have to do vigorous shampoo with it.)
-Apply leave-in conditioner to back section and then cover the back with shower cap and clips. I then move on to apply relaxer to front section the same way I did the back.
-I repeat rinse, condition and neutralizing process for front section. I do one last neutralizing shampoo for the entire head.
-I then Proceed to deep condition as soon as hair is completely relaxed and
neutralized.

**I also suggest you do a strand test before relaxing to determine the appropriate processing time for you.

As for trimming, I do the pony tail method since my hair is layered. I trim on dry hair and I usually have 10-12 ponytails throughout my head. I have 5-6 on right side and 5-6 on left side. I make sure my head is upright and straight and bring right side ponytails(one by one) to right side and cut and bring left side ponytails to left. I always comb each section with a rattail comb before I cut. Anyhow, HTH:)!

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Arcadian said:
The method I use is a little involving (to say the least) but its kept me sane. A few ladies have tried it and had good results with it though.

Here's the thread where I describe it in detail. If anything it makes good reading;)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=130924&highlight=clips

-A

I used this method for my last 2 touchups and it was wonderful. I did not use clamps though. I used little kids ponytail holders - you know the colorful kinda terry cloth ones. I tie them pretty loosely so I don't have to snatch hair to remove them. They are so cheap I toss them after each touchup.

The clamps were getting in my way but these holders worked, too.

Thanks Arcadian!

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

I texlax...so that in and of it self ensures that I don't overprocess. In terms of doing the back properly, I kind of feel my way through it. I make sure I apply a lot of cream at the roots to make sure the relaxer touches every strand. Before relaxing I apply a protectant to my previously relaxed hair just in case any bits of relaxer falls on that hair. I also keep paper towels nearby to wipe of any excess relaxer that touches previously relaxed hair.

You can try practicing with conditioner first to see how comfortable you feel.

HTH

divinefavor

HoneyDew said:
I used this method for my last 2 touchups and it was wonderful. I did not use clamps though. I used little kids ponytail holders - you know the colorful kinda terry cloth ones. I tie them pretty loosely so I don't have to snatch hair to remove them. They are so cheap I toss them after each touchup.

The clamps were getting in my way but these holders worked, too.

Thanks Arcadian!

Ooh thanks, HoneyDew!!! I was trying to picture how I would put the relaxer on with the clamps in the way. I'll purchase some of these ponytail holders when it's time for my touch-up.

divinefavor

RabiaElaine said:
I texlax...so that in and of it self ensures that I don't overprocess. In terms of doing the back properly, I kind of feel my way through it. I make sure I apply a lot of cream at the roots to make sure the relaxer touches every strand. Before relaxing I apply a protectant to my previously relaxed hair just in case any bits of relaxer falls on that hair. I also keep paper towels nearby to wipe of any excess relaxer that touches previously relaxed hair.

You can try practicing with conditioner first to see how comfortable you feel.

HTH

Thanks Rabia, I'll try it with the conditioner.

divinefavor

Does anyone know where I can find the 3 way mirrors or magnifying mirrors so that I can have them on hand when self relaxing?

Jas123

The Star of a Story
divinefavor said:
Thanks Jas!

Do you also trim your hair when you touch-up?
Yes, I do..very, very light trims as I don't use heat and wear my hair up most of the times