Please share with me if you trim your own hair...

TwistNMx

Hello,
I would like to know...

1. Do you cut or trim your own hair for maintenance, etc.?

3. If so, what method (how) do you do it?

2. How often do you trim or cut?

3. Does your hair grow back fuller when you trim it on a regular basis?

4. Does anyone use a trimming machine? (Split End Mender) from info-mercials.

5. Do you find it necessary to trim it at all?

Thank you for your imput. It's very helpful. :)

Jaelin

Trim myself

2. If so, what method (how) do you do it?
I just cut the ends off of my twists

3. How often do you trim or cut?
A few times (2-3) a year

4. Does your hair grow back fuller when you trim it on a regular basis?
I think it grows back the same.

5. Does anyone use a trimming machine? (Split End Mender) from info-mercials.
No trimming machine but I recently bought some shears, that I will use only on my hair

6. Do you find it necessary to trim it at all?
Yes. Even if I don't have split ends, there comes a point during the year when I just don't like how my ends appear and I'll cut off .25 to .5 inch off the ends of my twists.

krissyprissy

I trim my hair every two months for split end prevention. Even if I dont see a lot of splits, I will still do a small dusting . I usually trim about 1/8 to 1/4 an inch. I section my hair into three sections with large hair clips. Then one section at a time I trim very little off. After Im finish with each section, l let my hair down and check in the mirror for eveness all over. Even though I hate trims i prefer a healther appearance over length.

Bmm

Do you cut or trim your own hair for maintenance, etc.
Trim myself

2. If so, what method (how) do you do it?
I just cut the ends off , It is all combed down .

3. How often do you trim or cut?
I use to do it almost every four weeks...I was really scissor happy.

4. Does your hair grow back fuller when you trim it on a regular basis?
I think it does. But I learned that if you do a good trim you can go a while without another.

5. Does anyone use a trimming machine? (Split End Mender) from info-mercials.No

6. Do you find it necessary to trim it at all?
Yes depending on the health of my ends I hate thin looking hair, and I like fullness.

reformatio

Revenge of the Sith
Yes, I cut my own hair. I usually use the twist & cut method. I trim whenever I feel it is necessary. My hair is almost the same length allover so it does give the appearance of thickness. Yes, it think trimming is necessary to keep split ends at bay and to keep ones hair looking neat.

TwistNMx

Thanks so much...all of you.
I had my trim this a.m. at home before I wrote this. I wanted to know because I cannot justify paying $80.00 every 6 wks to get a trim. The hairdresser I used would always battle with me about how much of "MY" hair to trim. I don't think I should get 1" cut each month. I would never realize growth at all. :-(.
I got sick of paying someone that kind of money to go to battle about how much hair I should keep. I also noticed more shedding of hair each time I left her shop. I think that I may stop going.
Thanks again!

Jewell

High Priestess said:
Hello,
I would like to know...

Thank you for your imput. It's very helpful. :)

1)Yes, I trim my own hair.
2)I comb my hair straight back and downward. Since its blunt cut I take the ends, pull them above my head, and just cut the tips off.
3)I trim no more than 2 times a year.
4)I don't trim on a regular basis. My ends don't split like they used to because I make a very concious effort to moisturize them twice a day. However, they do maintain their thickness in between trims; its the evenness that I really go for.
5)I used hair shears/scissors. I have heard that using a razor to cut hair/trim ends can cause split ends to appear faster, as opposed to trimming with scissors.
6)I find it necessary to trim at least once a year because I like a blunt cut. Maybe as my hair gets a lot longer I will let it grow into a V-shape.

TwistNMx

Jewell said:
1)Yes, I trim my own hair.
2)I comb my hair straight back and downward. Since its blunt cut I take the ends, pull them above my head, and just cut the tips off.
3)I trim no more than 2 times a year.
4)I don't trim on a regular basis. My ends don't split like they used to because I make a very concious effort to moisturize them twice a day. However, they do maintain their thickness in between trims; its the evenness that I really go for.
5)I used hair shears/scissors. I have heard that using a razor to cut hair/trim ends can cause split ends to appear faster, as opposed to trimming with scissors.
6)I find it necessary to trim at least once a year because I like a blunt cut. Maybe as my hair gets a lot longer I will let it grow into a V-shape.

Hi Jewell,
Tell me if you will, are you okay with trimming the back or do you have someone else to do it for you? Also, do you find that hot oil treatments are good for moisture as well? I don't know your method of moisturizing.
Thanks

Jewell

High Priestess said:
Hi Jewell,
Tell me if you will, are you okay with trimming the back or do you have someone else to do it for you? Also, do you find that hot oil treatments are good for moisture as well? I don't know your method of moisturizing.
Thanks

When I use that method I mentioned to trim my hair, it all gets cut evenly at once. I take all my hair and hold it up and trim it. I don't have to cut the back because it gets cut all at once. I do hot oil treatments every now and then. I like them because they make my hair silky and shiny, so I guess they're good for moisture. I shampoo and condition my hair twice a week, and in between there I keep some shea butter and oil on my hair. It doesn't dry out that way.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Yes, I do.

I just twirl and snip about 0.5 cm. About once a year I even it out with Feyes method : http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/
I use the u-shape method.

Every 8 weeks.

I think keeping the ends even creates a fuller look.

No, I haven't used that one. My hair is too frizzy for that I think.

Yes, for my hair it's absolutely necessary.

TwistNMx

Jewell said:
When I use that method I mentioned to trim my hair, it all gets cut evenly at once. I take all my hair and hold it up and trim it. I don't have to cut the back because it gets cut all at once. I do hot oil treatments every now and then. I like them because they make my hair silky and shiny, so I guess they're good for moisture. I shampoo and condition my hair twice a week, and in between there I keep some shea butter and oil on my hair. It doesn't dry out that way.
Thanks Jewell,
I like the idea of using shea butter on the hair. I was just looking for it this morning and it's very hard to find here. Hair lotions are good also.

Jewell

High Priestess said:
Thanks Jewell,
I like the idea of using shea butter on the hair. I was just looking for it this morning and it's very hard to find here. Hair lotions are good also.

No problem. I use Cantu Shea Butter that I buy from Wal-mart.

TwistNMx

Jewell said:
No problem. I use Cantu Shea Butter that I buy from Wal-mart.
The store I went to yesterday was Walmart, but they only vitamin E cream. We are limited on ethnic products here. I don't travel to the city very often, but when I do, I will look for it.
Thanks again.