Spinoff: Anyone with low porosity hair?

SleekandBouncy

I was reading through the threads and I think my hair may have the opposite problem because it doesn't match the symptoms of porous hair except for tangles, not to mention when I did the water test my hair floated. I wasn't able to find any threads on low ph hair but so far the symptoms seem to be, hair that's resistent to most color and chemical treatments, the cuticles are shut so tightly that it's hard for moisture to get in. My hair is resistant to ALL conditioners except Elucence MB (I don't know why) and haircolor rarely works. When I tried Sebastian's colorshines in clear my hair came out with ZERO affect.

So, anyone on the board with resistent/low ph hair? How were you able to tell and what worked for you?

SelfStyled

Me. Gymfreak gave me some suggestions, try clarifying and then using a moisturizing conditioner. Anyone else? We can't be the only 2 out there.

There has to be a product that will help open the cuticles....right?:ohwell:

Here's some info I found this weak after the realization that I have low porosity hair. HTH

Porosity
Porosity is the measurement of the hair’s ability to absorb moisture, and is defined as low, normal or high. The condition of the outer layer of the hair (known as the cuticle, which consists of overlapping scales that protect the hair shaft) determines the hair’s porosity. In normal, healthy hair, the cuticle is compact and hinders moisture from penetrating as well as leaving the hair. If the cuticle is too compact, moisture is prevented from penetrating the hair completely, whilst hair in which the cuticle has become damaged and open will readily take in and release moisture.
Run your fingers along the length of individual hair strands in different areas of your head. Feel the strands in the direction from root to tip and take note of how it feels – is it rough? Smooth? Are there notches or knots? Take a look at your ends – are they thinning or splitting? Also have a feel of your hair in general, both when wet and when dry. Again, take note of how it feels – is it dry? Soft? Silky? Rubbery? Straw-like? Easily tangled? After you have completed this, take a look at the different porosity-types to find out which best applies to your hair.

Low Porosity:
If your hair strands are generally smooth, your ends are healthy and your hair is in an overall good condition, yet you still have problems with dryness, then you are likely to have low porosity hair. Whilst this hair type is least resistant to damage through styling and grooming, you will need to frequently moisturise the hair and regularly apply hot-oil and deep-conditioning treatments to increase suppleness and manageability. Low porosity hair occurs naturally and is not caused by any external factors.

I am defintely curios abour trying out that Elucence conditioner you mentioned.

Lovelylocs

I was reading through the threads and I think my hair may have the opposite problem because it doesn't match the symptoms of porous hair except for tangles, not to mention when I did the water test my hair floated. I wasn't able to find any threads on low ph hair but so far the symptoms seem to be, hair that's resistent to most color and chemical treatments, the cuticles are shut so tightly that it's hard for moisture to get in. My hair is resistant to ALL conditioners except Elucence MB (I don't know why) and haircolor rarely works. When I tried Sebastian's colorshines in clear my hair came out with ZERO affect.

So, anyone on the board with resistent/low ph hair? How were you able to tell and what worked for you?

Have you tried alter ego's Energizing conditioner? That's the most moisturizing product ever.

JustKiya

I suspect that I have low porosity. My hair is ALWAYS dry, I have to leave treatments in for twice/three times as long to be able to actually get any effect, and my hair LAUGHS at color (which is what pushed me into the abusive arms of bleach), and I've learned that I cannot go for more than a week without a DC. I can't remember how it reacted to a relaxer, but I suspect it laughed at them too as my fine hair ALWAYS ended up with a super relaxer. :look: *sigh*

I'm one of those people whose heads doesn't understand the concept of overmoisturized.

I have to admit, I DO use relatively acidic treatments on my hair (henna, the caramel treatment w/ACV, citric acid rinses), but it keeps my hair smooth and less tangly. Anytime I use a basic treatment (baking soda rinse, for example) I can feel the difference - my hair gets - velcroish.

locabouthair

YES, YES, YES!!!!

My hair laughs at conditioners. I have NEVER had a conditioner make my hair feel moist. Co washing does nada for me. When people tell me their conditioner gives them a pass on moisturizing daily, I'm like :confused: cuz my hair wont allow that at all.

My hair is also resistant to relaxers. People keep telling me it doesnt look like I have one.

Rinses dont last long on my hair. I never tried a permanent color.

Now I will say, I do think I have hard water and whenever I wash my hair it can be VERY dry. But I also noticed when I go to the salon it still feels dry, not as much but it still does.

I have very coarse hair btw.

locabouthair

I suspect that I have low porosity. My hair is ALWAYS dry, I have to leave treatments in for twice/three times as long to be able to actually get any effect, and my hair LAUGHS at color (which is what pushed me into the abusive arms of bleach), and I've learned that I cannot go for more than a week without a DC. I can't remember how it reacted to a relaxer, but I suspect it laughed at them too as my fine hair ALWAYS ended up with a super relaxer. :look: *sigh*

I'm one of those people whose heads doesn't understand the concept of overmoisturized.

I have to admit, I DO use relatively acidic treatments on my hair (henna, the caramel treatment w/ACV, citric acid rinses), but it keeps my hair smooth and less tangly. Anytime I use a basic treatment (baking soda rinse, for example) I can feel the difference - my hair gets - velcroish.

I thought the acidic treatments was to close the cuticle, for people with high porosity. Moisture can't stay in because the cuticle is more open.

I think if you have low porosity, you're cuticles are too tight.

Gym, sistaslick somebody get in here :lol:

JustKiya

I thought the acidic treatments was to close the cuticle, for people with high porosity. Moisture can't stay in because the cuticle is more open.

:yep: You are totally right. I don't use the treatments PURPOSELY to close my cuticle tighter - :look: - at least not the henna/caramel. I just realized that I use a lot of acidic treatments, which would cause my cuticles to be closed tighter, which would give me low porosity. The Citric Acid rinse makes my hair amazingly smooth and slick, though - but I don't use it that often.....

If that made any sense?

:lol:

LivingDoll

OMG. I'm sooo confused about porosity. I guess my hair is porous. It sank when I did the water test.

#1 Is porosity good or bad?

I have dry hair with low resistance. I relax and color easily. :ohwell:

On the other hand, it's difficult for me to retain moisture.:perplexed

I rarely suffer from tangles or breakage. :look:

#2 I just started using porosity control...should I stop?

locabouthair

OMG. I'm sooo confused about porosity. I guess my hair is porous. It sank when I did the water test.

#1 Is porosity good or bad?

I have dry hair with low resistance. I relax and color easily. :ohwell:

On the other hand, it's difficult for me to retain moisture.:perplexed

I rarely suffer from tangles or breakage. :look:

#2 I just started using porosity control...should I stop?

It sounds like your porosity is high. you're cuticle is too open, which means that as soon as moisture gets in the strands it leaves the strand just as easily.

Have you tried ACV rinses and light protein treatments to help close the cuticle?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I feel like my hair has low porosity. Low porosity is hair that doesn't too-readily absorb moisture nor release moisture easily (takes a while to get wet, and takes a while to dry). The cuticles usually close after washing and drying. And that's how my hair acts exactly! My hair is wiry-like and not really cottony-like. When I wet my hair in the shower, it takes a while for my hair to get wet. The water will just form beads of water droplets on my strands. And my hair takes a while for it to dry.

LivingDoll

It sounds like your porosity is high. you're cuticle is too open, which means that as soon as moisture gets in the strands it leaves the strand just as easily.

Have you tried ACV rinses and light protein treatments to help close the cuticle?

Pre LHCF, when I was experiencing "dandruff" (which was product buildup and dryness not dandruff) I tried ACV but it seemed to make my scalp worse. I only did it one time and I never tried it again. I basically poured the ACV on my hair/scalp straight, i didn't dilute it. That was probably the problem.

At Gymfreak's endorsement, I just started using Ultra Sheen Duo Tex this week. I guess it will take a few weeks to see the results. I did an Aphoghee 2 Step Treatment about 3 weeks ago and that was a disaster. I'm having a hard time with protein.

I've also been using Porosity Control...I thought that PC helped in closing the cuticle?

ETA: The Bolded makes total sense! Thanks!

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Your right Loca, if you have low porosity then your cuticles are TIGHT! That is a good thing in sense of damage and what now but it can cause your hair to be dry.

As far as possible remedies......

One thing that helps many people open their cuticle up a little is demi-permanent color. Demi uses 10vol developer which can't lift your natural color, it just opens the cuticle up some. You can get a clear demi-color, it doesn't have to be a color persay but it will help make your hair more porous. Alot of white girls with really thick tight cuticles also do this. It will also help give you more body. Demi color is better for low porosity ladies since your cuticle will be able to hold on it longer than semi-perm which ladies like me with high porosity use to help seal the cuticle. Demi-perm color last usually around 28-30 shampoo's.

At relaxing......... Also, for the ladies that low porosity and are using no-lye or have hard water don't forget to chelate. Those mineral deposits can make it worse so make sure you chelate once and a while.

If you look in the archives here, you will see alot of the ol'heads lightly flatironing their newgrowth before relaxing. The ones that did that would do it to help their hair respond to the relaxer. The heat helped open up the cuticle some so that the chemicals could pentrate better. Now someone like me with high porosity wouldn't need to do this but it could benefit some of you that have tight cuticle layers.

gymfreak336

Pre LHCF, when I was experiencing "dandruff" (which was product buildup and dryness not dandruff) I tried ACV but it seemed to make my scalp worse. I only did it one time and I never tried it again. I basically poured the ACV on my hair/scalp straight, i didn't dilute it. That was probably the problem.

At Gymfreak's endorsement, I just started using Ultra Sheen Duo Tex this week. I guess it will take a few weeks to see the results. I did an Aphoghee 2 Step Treatment about 3 weeks ago and that was a disaster. I'm having a hard time with protein.

I've also been using Porosity Control...I thought that PC helped in closing the cuticle?

ETA: The Bolded makes total sense! Thanks!

Yeah, PC helps close the cuticle. The protein treatments will also help. Just be careful not to over do it. I love my Duo Tex but it's pretty strong. Just watch your hair. If you feel that you are over doing it, take a 2 week break or so from it. It does really help strengthen damage hair. Supergirl put me on to it.

LivingDoll

Yeah, PC helps close the cuticle. The protein treatments will also help. Just be careful not to over do it. I love my Duo Tex but it's pretty strong. Just watch your hair. If you feel that you are over doing it, take a 2 week break or so from it. It does really help strengthen damage hair. Supergirl put me on to it.

Okay. :yep: Thanks Gymfreak.

turnergirl

I have always thought I had porous hair but that may not be true.

My hair is beyond resistant to relaxers and color. You could put super in my hair and it will not get straight. I went in for a double process color and spent 6 hours in the salon trying to get the color to take. But my hair does not feel hard often. It is always soft but I think that is because I have fine strands. I get a lot of splits but that is only in the back of my hair. I think that may be from the knots and friction against my collars.

I don't know where I am on the porosity issue. What do you all think?

locabouthair

Your right Loca, if you have low porosity then your cuticles are TIGHT! That is a good thing in sense of damage and what now but it can cause your hair to be dry.

One thing that helps many people open their cuticle up a little is demi-permanent color. Demi uses 10vol developer which can't lift your natural color, it just opens the cuticle up some. You can get a clear demi-color, it doesn't have to be a color persay but it will help make your hair more porous. Alot of white girls with really thick tight cuticles also do this. It will also help give you more body. Demi color is better for low porosity ladies since your cuticle will be able to hold on it longer than semi-perm which ladies like me with high porosity use to help seal the cuticle. Demi-perm color last usually around 28-30 shampoo's.

At relaxing......... Also, for the ladies that low porosity and are using no-lye or have hard water don't forget to chelate. Those mineral deposits can make it worse so make sure you chelate once and a while.

If you look in the archives here, you will see alot of the ol'heads lightly flatironing their newgrowth before relaxing. The ones that did that would do it to help their hair respond to the relaxer. The heat helped open up the cuticle some so that the chemicals could pentrate better. Now someone like me with high porosity wouldn't need to do this but it could benefit some of you that have tight cuticle layers.

I remember you mentioning the demi permananent. I am scared to do it because they contain peroxide right? I really want to color my hair though. it's so dull.

So does hair with low porosity take long to dry or dries easily?

It seems that both high and low wouldnt take long to dry.

locabouthair

I have always thought I had porous hair but that may not be true.

My hair is beyond resistant to relaxers and color. You could put super in my hair and it will not get straight. I went in for a double process color and spent 6 hours in the salon trying to get the color to take. But my hair does not feel hard often. It is always soft but I think that is because I have fine strands. I get a lot of splits but that is only in the back of my hair. I think that may be from the knots and friction against my collars.

I don't know where I am on the porosity issue. What do you all think?

It sounds like you might have low porosity. Hair with high porosity absorbs moisture fast. and receive relaxers and color quickly.

gymfreak336

I remember you mentioning the demi permananent. I am scared to do it because they contain peroxide right? I really want to color my hair though. it's so dull.

So does hair with low porosity take long to dry or dries easily?

It seems that both high and low wouldnt take long to dry.

Developer is peroxide but 10vol isn't strong at all. In your case, if your cuticles are very very tight, your hair isn't going to accumlate damage in the same way mine would. The developer is only on for 10 minutes or so, not long at all. You might want to call a couple of salons in your area and ask how much a simple demi-clear rinse would run you. It shouldn't be much at all. Then maybe you could go in for a consulation to get a professional opinion.

pattycake0701

I think I may fit into this category. I'm natural now, but when I was relaxed, I would use a super coarse relaxer for the maximum amount of time...and my hair was still poofy. My hair floated in the sink/float water test. I've always had problems with dry hair. Right now, I'm using S-Curl spray and a little bit off Sunsilk leave in for moisture and this is working better. Before, I was using the Sunsilk leave in and sealing with oil:nono: hair hated it. My hair performs better when I dc with heat than without heat. I've used red rinses in the past (Adore and Jazzings) and my hair did turn bright red, generally where my hair is naturally a sandy/blondish color in the front.

To top it off, my hair is very coarse, except in the kitchen and along parameter of my head.

SelfStyled

This is so me! My hair laughs at conditioner. Now I am so confused about my beloved Henna. I could be wrong but if the henna is attaching and filling in the strands, doesn't that make it even more difficult for moiture to penetrate?

SelfStyled

Yay!!!My shero to the rescue. Thanks chica!

JustKiya

This is so me! My hair laughs at conditioner. Now I am so confused about my beloved Henna. I could be wrong but if the henna is attaching and filling in the strands, doesn't that make it even more difficult for moiture to penetrate?

:boxing: I don't know, but I'm not giving up my henna!!! :lol:

I like to think of henna as 'repairing' the minor damage I've done to my strands over time. :look: I can't henna too often, otherwise, yeah, my hair turns into a brittle, dry, mess - but it seems to have it's place as a strengthener - esp. for my fine hair.

locabouthair

I know that hair with high porosity is caused by overprocessing, too much heat, etc.

But what exactly causes low porosity? I can't really think of anything damaging that would make the cuticles tight.

Is it something that's just natural?

gymfreak336

I know that hair with high porosity is caused by overprocessing, too much heat, etc.

But what exactly causes low porosity? I can't really think of anything damaging that would make the cuticles tight.

Is it something that's just natural?

Its just something thats natural. You usually are just born with it.

gymfreak336

That was fast:lol: I didnt expect a response so soon. Thanks for explaining that.

This kind of discouraging because I know moisture=length retention. But I'll find a way somehow.

Don't be discouraged....If anything I would love to have your problem. Its just a matter of understanding what it is and how it affects your chemicals and heat usage. I have the exact opposite problem....my cuticle is WIDE open :lol:

Sunshyn3

very interesting!! I've always been told that my hair is very hard to break down when the relaxer is on by my stylist and its always extra strength.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i always thought i did but my hair takes to relaxers easily. my natural hair didnt sink in the test and i always had a diificult time with my hair feeling like velcro and not absorbing water. but now that ive stopped taking my supplements i have no problem w/ my NG at this time its more manegable but it feels a bit weak.:ohwell: