4a/b Natural Support and FAQ Thread (da Nappy Head Thread)

bravenewgirl87

Lets start a thread for the most difficult curl pattern out there-- otherwise, called "nappy heads".:D:D:look: If you are natural , transitioning, texturized got a lot of new growth and you are a 4A/B texture, lets help each other out. We know how difficult it is to get it together. Here are examples of the hair type:

gloomgeisha

I trim my hair dry, normally after I've put it into a set of twists. I just nip the ends off every 6 months. (and I do mean "nip")

SignatureBeauty

Hey all! I don't know my hair type and don't care to know because all I know is that I am Natural and Nappy,Plus I have about 3 different Textures LOL!! But I am here to have support as well because it can get tough sometimes.

I trim my hair dry, after I pick it out in a fro my Husband get his clippers and clip away those ends. But I still have a Twa so it is easier right now LOL!!!

tkj25

i don't trim my hair in a grow-out phase. just the occassional dusting when needed. which means i also take extra good care of my ends -- no heat, no-poos, daily moisturising, protective styles.

Nap2it

Hi!

I'm new to this site. I usually trim a little off of my ends after I twist, also. I have done one good trim where I actually combed out sections so that I could give my ends a good trim.

Divalicious

Thanks for your replies!

One other question, I need A LOT of support, lol:

How do you achieve second day hair? What products do you use and what are your techniques?

bLackButtaFly

I not gonna lie for me it's either two options:ohwell:. Either take the time the night before to go through my hair and look for slacking pieces and retwist them for and twistout the next day, same applies for braidout :look:,or begin my puff to ponytail cycle, first day big puff next day smaller, et etc, until I just have my puff ponytail. In terms of products I use the same usual stuf, but I know a little water to dmapen those crazy pieeces goes a long way, and the same for my puff, i just wet my hands smooth my edges or more and then tie it down before I go in the shower and then take it off when I'm leaving.

Anancy

HELP!! Ok i've been natural for about 2 weeks now, and as much as im loving it im struggling to keep it feeling soft and moisterised.

My hair is not very long at the moment and im very style challenged so i've been wearing out in as a plain old fro since i did the chop. I had a feeling that wearing my hair out like this would take it's toll and im finding that my ends are feeling dry.

What do you guys do to keep it moisterised. I've noticed my hair is baby soft when i wash it (gawsh that's the best feeling) i just wish i could find a way to keep it feeling that soft when its in it's dry state. Im thinking of making a spritz - do you guys have an suggestions?

I know really i should be wearing protective styles but i really don't think twists will look nice on me at the length my hair is currently at. This weekend im going to put in some braid extentions.
But what can i do for my hair when i do decide to wear my fro out?

Ms_Twana

Anancy said:
HELP!! Ok i've been natural for about 2 weeks now, and as much as im loving it im struggling to keep it feeling soft and moisterised.

My hair is not very long at the moment and im very style challenged so i've been wearing out in as a plain old fro since i did the chop. I had a feeling that wearing my hair out like this would take it's toll and im finding that my ends are feeling dry.

What do you guys do to keep it moisterised. I've noticed my hair is baby soft when i wash it (gawsh that's the best feeling) i just wish i could find a way to keep it feeling that soft when its in it's dry state. Im thinking of making a spritz - do you guys have an suggestions?

I know really i should be wearing protective styles but i really don't think twists will look nice on me at the length my hair is currently at. This weekend im going to put in some braid extentions.

Congrats on your BC!!!! :D My suggestion is to moisturize daily. I have a conditioner spritz that I use (Nexxus Humetress, jojoba oil, and water). I usually spray my hair with that every night, then sleep in a plastic cap. I also co-wash wit a moisturizing conditioner just about everyday. I put on a plastic cap while showering and apply a leave-in (Giovonni Direct) in the end. So, my hair is constantly moisturized, which keeps it pretty soft.

When I first BC'ed I had the same issue. A lot of ladies told me to DC often to get the hair to soften. Another lady also said that my hair needed to get used to be natural, and out. So, it may be the same for you. HTH!! Good luck!!

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies, now here's my issue. Oh, and btw, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Okay, I've tried to flat iron my hair maybe twice since the BC. And when I do, my ends are hard and horrible. Does that mean I need a trim??? Basically my hair starts off silky at the roots, then about a half inch away from the tips, my hair is puffy and hard. I can't tell that it's horrible while it's coily. It's just when I straighten it. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions????

natstar

Ms_Twana said:
Okay ladies, now here's my issue. Oh, and btw, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Okay, I've tried to flat iron my hair maybe twice since the BC. And when I do, my ends are hard and horrible. Does that mean I need a trim??? Basically my hair starts off silky at the roots, then about a half inch away from the tips, my hair is puffy and hard. I can't tell that it's horrible while it's coily. It's just when I straighten it. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions????

It may be that you need a trim OR it could be that you need more pressure. Whan I straighten, I blow dry then flat iron. I use a clamp brush when I flat iron and apply pressure to the brush. The brush is followed w/the flat iron. I then switch and follow the flat iron w/the clamp brush. I hope this makes some sense.

NantanYah

I either twists or braid my hair then snip off a tiny bit of the end... I do this every few months. Before this site I would snip off a bit after every wash when I braided or twisted it...... I could have probably been complete APL in back and complete collarbone in the front by now. I wasn't aware that it wasn't necessary to trim after every wash... what was I thinking:( I'm so happy I've found LHCF!

NantanYah

Anancy said:

Use a good leave in and a nice spritz. For instance... I use Abba nourishing leave-on then spritz with a mix I've made... I love it! I mix 3 equal parts of distilled water, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil in a spray bottle and just pray my scalp and hair while scrunching. It's wonderfully moisturizing and your hair will be crazy soft. Also, if you wear a fro' and just want moisture and great curl definition I recommend Jessicurl's rockin' ringlets potion. It's amazing!

Divalicious

This thread is so awesome! Everyone has great answers. I was just wondering if anyone here has this same issue as me: When I did my bc, I used this comb to detangle
but now, I think I need something that's more wider, because this comb isn't doing anything for my hair. Does anyone have any suggestions on what combs I should use? I tried the k-cutter, but I didn't like it.

ScandalousBeauty

Exactly, that's exactly what happens to my hair! My hair was too crunchy last time! I got really mad because I thought it would be easier! I'm gonna try Natstar's advice, and I also think I am going to try using my keracare curl wax (or whatever its called). I swore I would wait 1 year after my transition began to get a press and curl. But I am too scared to get it pressed! So, 1 year until I get my blow dry and flat iron! lol

Ms_Twana said:

Divalicious

This morning I went in initially for a haircut - but I got a trim instead. I know everyone talks about how crazy shrinkage is, but I thought it was for them. Because unstretched, my hair is like neck-length or maybe a bit longer. I never stretch my hair, so I didn't know how long it was.

So, one of the stylists starts to blowdry my hair, and after she does a section, I look in the mirror. Ohmigosh....my hair was a little past my underarms!!!!!! So, I think okay...maybe it's just that section. So like an hour later, she's done and all my hair is the same length, except these bangs that I kinda have.

I just took some pictures not to long ago to show my hair but I was wondering if anyone can suggest sites other than fotki and yahoo to put my pics up?

The last time I straightened my hair was two years ago, but I like the look of my hair so I may straighten every few months or something.

glamazon386

Divalicious said:
What are your opinions on having layers with natural hair. Yay or Nay? And why?

I don't mind it. When your hair is straight, it makes your hair look longer bc the back hangs so much longer than the front.

Last edited:

Vixen17

I guess I'm transitioning. My last touch up was exactly 2 months ago. I really want to either stretch or go completely natural...what I need to know is what products to use and what regimens work for a 4a texture. I'm very lost, please help!

PaperClip

Checking in to say thank you for posting this thread which I shall subscribe to and I know I have questions to ask!:)

mscocoface

Vixen17 said:
I guess I'm transitioning. My last touch up was exactly 2 months ago. I really want to either stretch or go completely natural...what I need to know is what products to use and what regimens work for a 4a texture. I'm very lost, please help!

In the initial stage of transitioning it will be trial and error. What works for one may not work for another. I think the main thing to consider is you need moisture. Butters and oils are a sealant most times. Find a good conditioner and review those ends carefully so there are no splits and also determining when you need to trim the ends to remove the relaxer.

Check out some of the to foktis or hair albums of people who have hair similar to yours and see what they have done when transitioning or are all natural.

For stretching I have no idea, I think the first decision you will need to make is will you stretch or will you go natural? Happy Hair Journey no matter which way you decide to go.

Radianthealth

Trimbride runs into thread shouting "Yeaaaaaaahhhhh Boyyyyyyyy 4B Fo Life...Reh Pah Zent Bay Bah Bay Bay!!!!":grin: :grin: :grin:

I am so happy you started this thread:

I am a 4B all over, texlaxed 80%

Here are some of my tips:
  • I use Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Lotion - This stuff is excellent!!!!!
  • When times are really hard I pull out the S-Curl Texturizer Spray in the gray and blue bottle
  • I moisturize my hair once per day
  • I would trim dry hair to make sure it was even
  • For the ladies looking for a comb with longer teeth, maybe a pick would work???
  • I use a wide tooth seamless comb followed by smaller tooth seamless combs
When I think of more, I will be back:p

Last edited:

locabouthair

Anancy said:

im not natural anymore but when i was s curl was the ONLY thing that kepy my hair soft. my hair type is 4b, the pics on the first page arent even close to what my hair looks like:lol: i have very coarse tightly coiled hair. i swear by s curl and would reccommend it to any natural particularly 4b.

i never wore a fro, only cornrows so i dont have advice for styles.