Colored Natural who wants to Texlax..any success?

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I am thinking about texlaxing my hair possibly this weekend with a kiddie perm but my hair is currently permanently colored.

Has anyone texlaxed their already dyed natural hair with success?

Has your hair been able to retain or has there been lots of damage?

I love my hair but I need to take a little of the kink out because I really hate the SSK's and overall wash day process.

TIA

For me I try to space the perm dye and texlaxing at least two weeks apart I also use a light protein after rinsing but before neutralizing shampoo I do this to "build up" my hair.
I would also deep condition your hair several times in the weeks prior the actual tex lax process.

sugadoll maybe I should wait a few weeks then, because I have not deep conditioned in atleast two weeks, because my hair is in a protective style

TopShelf

ITA with Foxglove. Maybe try a BKT instead. I have been relaxed for years and now transitioning to texturized with a "kiddie perm". (Finally seeing some retention). Knowing what we all know about HHCare now, I would say don't chance it.

Heyyyy TopShelf, if I were you -- I'd def use a good protein treatment and moisturizing treatment before relaxing. A friend of mine had bc a few years ago and colored her hair. The color had grown out I'd say at least a good 8 wks, when we relaxed her hair I could literally feel her strands kinda melting and snapping in my hand. She has veryyy fine coily 4b hair though.

A cousin of mine that's relaxed had bleached her hair and proceeded to relax it wayyy too soon. Let's just say it was a disaster. I say this to say, please allow enough time between the time you colored and when you'll relax and be sure to use a strengthening treatment before hand also.

Heyyyy TopShelf, if I were you -- I'd def use a good protein treatment and moisturizing treatment before relaxing. A friend of mine had bc a few years ago and colored her hair. The color had grown out I'd say at least a good 8 wks, when we relaxed her hair I could literally feel her strands kinda melting and snapping in my hand. She has veryyy fine coily 4b hair though.

A cousin of mine that's relaxed had bleached her hair and proceeded to relax it wayyy too soon. Let's just say it was a disaster. I say this to say, please allow enough time between the time you colored and when you'll relax and be sure to use a strengthening treatment before hand also.

Its been atleast 8 weeks since my last color but my hair is definitely fine so maybe I should just scrap the idea because now I am scared:lachen:

I texturized colored natural hair for the same reasons mentioned. SSK's, shrinkage, manageability etc all had me fed up.
I didn't suffer any damage or trauma (FORTUNATELY), however my color was sooo old. It had been about 2 years since lifting to a reddish auburn with permanent box color (Garnier), and about 8 months since depositing a semi-permanent blue black (Goldwell).

I'm not recommending this. Just sharing my experience. Although I didn't suffer damage, I regret it because I miss my natural hair texture... I shouldn't have used a permanent solution to fix a temporary problem. Now I'm transitioning. :ohwell: Maybe you can try keeping your hair stretched or protective style until the color gets a bit older??? HTH

Prior to my HHJ, Ive colored (bleach) and texlax before w/o any problems. At the time my hair was about BSB/BSL. I think what worked for me was I let a salon do the relaxer/color and I used to faithfully go to the salon every 2 wks. My ends were always trimmed on time, I would always get rollersets and I didnt touch my hair until I went to the hair salon. The only thing is my hair didnt grow past BSB/BSL.

Oh and def space them apart; ur relaxers. I would only relax my hair maybe 2-3xs a yr, maybe 4 & that was pushing it.

TopShelf, it depends. I would color my hair soooo many times. The last color I had, I had bleached it blond & then did a red rinse. With that color I had colored 1st and then about 3wks later I had relaxed my hair with Mizani butter blends. My stylist std she was surprised that my hair didnt fall out:lol:

I think u have to know ur hair. If ur hair is prone to breakage then I wouldnt take the chance. With my hair, as long as Im not touching it or messing around trying a whole bunch of styles and products I was ok.

^^^^oh & I never colored my whole head. I only did highlights or just the front of my whole head. I always left the back alone.

So far the only thing that seemed to break my hair is when I let someone else flat iron my hair. I have gone natural 3 times and each time I have never had an issue. but I have never relaxed my natural hair after (not directly) having it colored.

Back