Anyone interested in a TWISTING FOR GROWTH Challenge???

oooop2

:lachen:

3 1/2 hours off and on. I say off and on because I was doing one of my in-laws hair as well (wash, deep con, rollerset then wrap). It was relly easy after my hair was sectioned off so all I had to do was take down a ponytail holder, mist it and twist into 4 twists on average with some curly pudding. I'll continue with this method throughout the challenge.

Here's a pic of my sectioned hair

I'm going to keep these in for 2-3 weeks.

Yeah..Glad more than 4 sections worked for you. Now do you plan on washing these beauties????

wonderstar

Yeah..Glad more than 4 sections worked for you. Now do you plan on washing these beauties????

That one there I'll have to think about. If I wash I'll take them out after 2 weeks. Any which way I want to put in some fresh ones for my 23rd birthday June 18th:grin:.

oooop2

That one there I'll have to think about. If I wash I'll take them out after 2 weeks. Any which way I want to put in some fresh ones for my 23rd birthday June 18th:grin:.

OMG...You're definitely my little sister/younger cousin since we have similar caribbean blood...I got 10yrs on you. I'll be 33 on the 27th...:grin:

wonderstar

OMG...You're definitely my little sister/younger cousin since we have similar caribbean blood...I got 10yrs on you. I'll be 33 on the 27th...:grin:

:bouncy: that's cool. I think I'm going to section my hair in 7 rows going straight back, twist each section and then flat twist the entire section and add rubber band to secure the hair at the nape with a little side bang for a different look:grin:.

anon123

Interesting..I find that my twistouts can be a tangled mess if I'm not careful. What do you use in terms of moisturizer???

That's exactly why I don't use much moisturizer. I put something on before or while I'm twisting and generally that's it for the week. That's the way I had always done it until I found the hair boards which are really into moisturizing. But honestly, I don't think it's great for my hair. Adding water (i.e. moisture) to loose hair like twistouts causes it to shrink up and coil up on itself creating more tangles. Adding it to twisted or braided hair causes it to try to mesh together. I jumped on the moisturizing bandwagon and my hair felt better for the first few hours after putting something on, but I paid for it with tangles galore. It's differentlwhen I'm in a generally moist environment, but putting on moisturizer, letting it dry, putting more on, letting it dry, and going from moist to dry over and over again is a recipe for locs for me, which are beautiful but which I do not want now. So I don't moisturize throughout the week. I may add a little oil. My twistouts stay defined, my hair stays stretched, and it doesn't tangle as much this way.

ok this is how i'm going to twist my hair its called sister twist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASlum8a8hw&feature=related

Have you tried this before? I wonder if that would cut down on the tangling, or increase it. Coils in general want to loc up faster on me than twists, but I don't know if twisting the coils would make a difference.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My top is still short, but I'd like to join anyway, if I can. U will have to pardon my twists because I'm still not good at them yet.:blush:

oooop2

My top is still short, but I'd like to join anyway, if I can. U will have to pardon my twists because I'm still not good at them yet.:blush:

Absolutely. I'll add you to the list. Have you attempted doing coils to your hair. Definitely not twist, but wearing coils grew my hair out a lot.

oooop2

That's exactly why I don't use much moisturizer. I put something on before or while I'm twisting and generally that's it for the week. That's the way I had always done it until I found the hair boards which are really into moisturizing. But honestly, I don't think it's great for my hair. Adding water (i.e. moisture) to loose hair like twistouts causes it to shrink up and coil up on itself creating more tangles. Adding it to twisted or braided hair causes it to try to mesh together. I jumped on the moisturizing bandwagon and my hair felt better for the first few hours after putting something on, but I paid for it with tangles galore. It's differentlwhen I'm in a generally moist environment, but putting on moisturizer, letting it dry, putting more on, letting it dry, and going from moist to dry over and over again is a recipe for locs for me, which are beautiful but which I do not want now. So I don't moisturize throughout the week. I may add a little oil. My twistouts stay defined, my hair stays stretched, and it doesn't tangle as much this way.

Have you tried this before? I wonder if that would cut down on the tangling, or increase it. Coils in general want to loc up faster on me than twists, but I don't know if twisting the coils would make a difference.

What type hair do you have. Your hair sould a lot like my oldest daughters. No matter how much moisturizer I put in, it stays dry. And if I put too much in, it gets so tangled. I find that her hair does and looks best when I put in twist w/my shealoe concoction and just leave her hair alone. And for the areas that look frizzy/unkept, just redoing. Too much handling and her hair goes nuts..LOL

I had never heard about sister twists until Shatarip posted the link. Now I'm interested in trying them. If I keep my hair oiled, they then to not try and loc on me, so I may make my hair extra moisturized like in the video.

BTW, has anyone tried the Essential Organics Balms before???

oooop2

:bouncy: that's cool. I think I'm going to section my hair in 7 rows going straight back, twist each section and then flat twist the entire section and add rubber band to secure the hair at the nape with a little side bang for a different look:grin:.

Yeah...I'll be celebrating it w/ my parents in TX, so I told them that I want to be pampered all day long :lachen::lachen:

I bet that's going to look cute. I've been trying to scope the web for more twisting styles/ideas to try on either mine or my daughters head.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Absolutely. I'll add you to the list. Have you attempted doing coils to your hair. Definitely not twist, but wearing coils grew my hair out a lot.

Hi! Can you give me some comb coil tips? I am very interested in that, thanks!

oooop2

Hi! Can you give me some comb coil tips? I am very interested in that, thanks!

Okay..I'm not the BEST person to ask about comb coils b/c I couldn't do them. Everytime I tried, my comb would undo a completed coil and i would have to redo. After awhile that just drove me nuts.

I found that I would get the same result coiling w/ my fingers. Just moisturize your hair really well. Grab some hair (the size you want to coil). Add some styling gel to the hair and just twist all the hair in a clockwise motion.

If anyone does it better, PLEASE state how you do your coils...

oooop2

Just took out my mini-twist. They were starting to look a HOT MESS, and I didn't want to have to deal w/ a lot of tangling. So now I have my undone mini-twist in about 10 HUGE chunky twist. Hopefully they will make some cute/defined twistouts. My mini-twist lasted 11 days. Will do then again in about 2wks. I think although they looked cute after washing, the frizz factor kicked in SEVERELY once I wet them....In the mean-time, I will do med/chunky twist for a different look....

oooop2

So this is what my twist look like after 11 days. Not terribly bad, but the frizz was getting worse and I didn't want a bunch of tangles on the ends.

So after I took my mini-twist out, I separated my hair into big sections and retwisted. I then apply my shealoe concoction to each twist.

In the morning, I undid the big twist and fluffed w/ my hands. Here are my mini-twist twistouts.

Will sport this for a day or 2 before I retwist. Plan on doing small/med twist next time so that I can co-wash more regularly.

oooop2

Okay...Here is day #2 of my twistouts:

I was intending on retwisting tomorrow, but I may try to STRETCH these twistouts 1 more day...LOL

Last edited:

miss Congeniality

^^ Your twist out looks great.

Between working out and baggying (is that a word) my twist are frizzy. I think I may have to retwist the front and top more often than I thought.

oooop2

Tonight I DC w/ a homemade blend of ripe bananas, plain yogurt, mayo, EVOO, and Hempseed Oil. I DC for 1hr, rinsed, shampooed w/ CD Rosemary Mint Shampoo, conditioned w/ Suave Coconut condish, did a final rinse w/ distilled water, and sealed w/ coconut oil. I let me hair air dry, then I applied my shealoe concoction and did my hair is med sz twist. Plan to co-wash every other day and DC 2x/week. This size twist should be easy to touchup as needed...

Will do minis again for my Bday on the 27th

The last of my twistout from today

Fresh twist that I just finished......

anon123

Oooop, your mini twist out is too pretty.

What type hair do you have. Your hair sould a lot like my oldest daughters. No matter how much moisturizer I put in, it stays dry. And if I put too much in, it gets so tangled. I find that her hair does and looks best when I put in twist w/my shealoe concoction and just leave her hair alone. And for the areas that look frizzy/unkept, just redoing. Too much handling and her hair goes nuts..LOL

I had never heard about sister twists until Shatarip posted the link. Now I'm interested in trying them. If I keep my hair oiled, they then to not try and loc on me, so I may make my hair extra moisturized like in the video.

BTW, has anyone tried the Essential Organics Balms before???

Yeah, that sounds like my hair. In humid weather, it will take up the humidity without much product at all. But in dry weather it doesn't matter how much you put it on, it'll feel nice until the product has dried and after that the hair will be dry again. Too much and it's just like wetting the hair, which makes it tangle. That's why I was so receptive to the Sabino Moisture Block guy's message about moisturizers not really working. For me, they really don't!

dicapr

I'll join you guys in spirit. I do not have a camera, so I do not know how often I will be able to post pics. I did this last summer, and I had alot of growth when I finially pressed it in the fall. My plan will be the same. DC once a week, sprits with conditioner everyday to everyother day. Rock a twist out for the weekend and then repeat. This should get me to APL by the end of summer.

oooop2

I'll join you guys in spirit. I do not have a camera, so I do not know how often I will be able to post pics. I did this last summer, and I had alot of growth when I finially pressed it in the fall. My plan will be the same. DC once a week, sprits with conditioner everyday to everyother day. Rock a twist out for the weekend and then repeat. This should get me to APL by the end of summer.

This is also my goal. Let me know if/when you want to officially join :)

oooop2

Oooop, your mini twist out is too pretty.

Yeah, that sounds like my hair. In humid weather, it will take up the humidity without much product at all. But in dry weather it doesn't matter how much you put it on, it'll feel nice until the product has dried and after that the hair will be dry again. Too much and it's just like wetting the hair, which makes it tangle. That's why I was so receptive to the Sabino Moisture Block guy's message about moisturizers not really working. For me, they really don't!

Thank you...I'm trying to achieve your length :grin:

Ivonnovi

I'm twisted!!!!!

I've enclosed pic of my new microtwist.
I did the rear of my head to the crown, and had a professional finish my thining crown and sides in for a fuller look.

The last pic shows the part pattern if Id've finished the look off.

I now have to twist the crown down to the ends so the afro puff will be gone tomorrow.
These microtwist are done with human hair.

Attachments

• 08Twists02.JPG
    08Twists02.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 08Twists1.JPG
    08Twists1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 08Twists03.JPG
    08Twists03.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 08Twists04.JPG
    08Twists04.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 43
  • braidback.jpg
    braidback.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 52

oooop2

I'm twisted!!!!!

I've enclosed pic of my new microtwist.
I did the rear of my head to the crown, and had a professional finish my thining crown and sides in for a fuller look.

The last pic shows the part pattern if Id've finished the look off.

I now have to twist the crown down to the ends so the afro puff will be gone tomorrow.
These microtwist are done with human hair.

Nice!!! How long will these twist last you???