Back to sulfates cones and heat?

GettingKinky

I've been on my HHJ for almost 20 months now. I gave up bonelaxing, heat, cones, and sulfate based poo. I stretch my relaxers 16 weeks, DC weekly, M&S regularly and sleep on a satin pillow case. My hair has never been longer, thicker or healthier. I really like the fact that I use all natural products on my hair, I feel like I'm treating it so well. So what is the problem? I rarely wear my hair out now because it frizzes so easily, and I'm getting tired of buns.

Before my HHJ, I bonelaxed every 6 weeks, used cones to seal my hair, and washed with a sulfate poo. I never DC'd. I also used a curling iron every single day. With that routine/abuse I still made it to CBL, albeit thin and weak. But I never worried about frizz even if I walked around on a foggy day.

I'm thinking of going back to cones and sulfate poo and using heat once a week or maybe every two weeks. I think the combination of heat plus cones is a major frizz tamer and my braid outs would look better . Now that I understand moisture/protein balance, stretching, and DCing maybe it won't be so bad?

Am I just asking for a set back?

If so how can I keep my texlaxed braidouts from frizzing without cones and heat? Maybe I should go back to bonelaxing? Sorry this is so long, I'm just torn about how to proceed. I want thick, healthy hair, but I want to wear it out without frizz.

BEAUTYU2U

I wouldn't start back doing all those at the same time. Add back some cones, see how your hair reacts. Then the sulfates. Then the heat. Some people's hair can take it but BE CAREFUL. You don't want to risk a setback for convenience or cuteness.

Amarilles

Well if you're planning on a heat reggie, silicones are indeed the best heat protectants...and sulfates remove silicones. Although coco-betaine/cocamidopropyl betaine is enough to get them off too.

I have a Komaza silicone serum but haven't used it (haven't needed to) but I will if I ever want to straighten. My shampoo has one sulfate (sodium-coco sulfate) and I find that it's all I need, a stew of sulfates don't automatically equal "setback" but it's not needed. If you want to try a shampoo with just one sulfate, try Yes to Carrots, I use it weekly. I do dilute it with water too, before using.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm in the same boat as you. I texlax and gave up [direct] heat, poo and cones.

I started using SLS and SMS again because I get the best DC results from them. I also have 2 shampoos which have each that I use interchangeably. I've has less dryness using poo and using no poo.

I use indirect heat and its fine. I used direct head for the first time in forever and it was amazeballs. I wouldn't do it all the time, but once every few months or when I think I can handle it is fine with me. My hair is hear resistant, so I have to use high heat; therefore direct heat is a nono for me.

I stopped using cones unless they are in a heat protectant. They are usually in sealing oils, but I'm cool with it depending on my moisture levels.

Once your hair is healthy, you don't have to give up these things, just be smart about how you use them. It's all about technique, not necessarily method.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

KittyMeowMeow

Cones aren't (universally) bad at all. Lots of people get great results with them. If they work for your hair, use them!

Sulfates- they can be drying, but if it works for you, no problem. IMO a lot of the "natural" soap-based shampoos are more drying than sulfates.

Heat- be careful! Using direct heat weekly or every other week will cause irreversible heat damage for most people. Heat makes the hair *look* shiny while it is straight, and if your hair is damaged, it may *look* better straight, but the "cure" is the cause of the problem. I agree with the suggestions above to use direct heat rarely, and to use indirect heat if you want to on a more regular basis.

pearlific1

Cones aren't (universally) bad at all. Lots of people get great results with them. If they work for your hair, use them!

Sulfates- they can be drying, but if it works for you, no problem. IMO a lot of the "natural" soap-based shampoos are more drying than sulfates.

Heat- be careful! Using direct heat weekly or every other week will cause irreversible heat damage for most people. Heat makes the hair *look* shiny while it is straight, and if your hair is damaged, it may *look* better straight, but the "cure" is the cause of the problem. I agree with the suggestions above to use direct heat rarely, and to use indirect heat if you want to on a more regular basis.

ITA!!! Once I made it to MBL I started using heat weekly to get that silky Pocahontas look. I was back to SL in 5 months.:nono: It isnt worth it

Kinky4Agirl

IF your hair can take cones then fine. Just do not forget to clarify at least once a month or as you see fit.

mshoneyfly

I also do all of the things you describe, including being texturized and stretching. My hair is fine and low density. Three weeks ago I added HBCO to my stash and seal in AVGel with it. It closed my cuticle and smooths my hair really well. It was like some sort of HH breakthrough!!! :dramatic, I know:

Today I used AVG and HBCO and a scarf to smooth my PT. this works nicely too. Its so soft and moist!

Last week I decided to do a light flat iron after going months without direct heat. My hair was already nicely sealed and coated with HBCO so I just figured I didn't need heat protectant. (I would usually use Tresemme Heat Tamer). Well my hair felt thick, looked thick, bouncy, smooth as a dime, lol and perfectly balanced.

I guess JBCO would give the same results. Im gonna test it out as soon as I order some. Needless to say, HBCO and AVG are my new HG products!!

I would say try that first before going back to cones. Im still gonna avoid direct heat for the most part, btw.

mshoneyfly

GettingKinky

I haven't tried it yet on a Bantu knot or braidout. I usually wear my hair semi-straight and it works great for that...no frizz. I will have to try it and report back. I am washing my hair today, prob a hendigo treatment too so we'll see

lamaria211

I went back to sulfate poo, i LOVE Nexxus Therape poo its the most moisturizing shampoo ive ever tried. i still use cones rarely but i do use them. No heat though

leiah

I was cone free for a while just because i was trying to do everything right. Now the reasons not to use cones just dont make sense to me and i think a lot of misinformation is spreading as everyone becomes an expert

Honey Bee

@GettingKinky, I'm at the same point with my hair too. I never stopped using cones, though. Anyway, I decided to wear my hair straight for a few months too get over a rough patch with my hair. It's almost APL-ish straight, but unstraightened, it frizzes and shrinks up to my shoulders (and therefore rubs :nono:). Otoh, my buns are causing breakage. My solution is to wear my hair straight long enough to get it past this weird shrunken length.

So I've been doing some research on how best to utilize direct heat. Here are my two favorite articles (this and this), I've totally re-vamped my heat reggie as a result. I'm still getting my supplies together.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Heat is my friend. I had a horrible hair day and using heat on the lowest setting on my electric pressing comb saved me from straying from the protective styles challenge. I did add some heavy-duty heat protection,but my worries melted when my hair reverted.:rolleyes: I know that heat will be a staple when my hair is longer.:yep:

GettingKinky

I've decided I'm not ready to change my reggie so I'm just going to bun for the rest of the year. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?