2011 Ceramides Challenge

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
^^^ Yay! :yay: welcome aboard coconut! I like rice bran oil alot :yep: It's not as heavy as WhGO though, its more like EVOO.

Embyra

I'm ditching wheat germ oil. Grapeseed oil has definitely replaced this. My prepoo had my hair feeling song. I never got results like that with what germ oil. Plus wheat germ oil is heavy and stinks and is hard as hell to get out of my hair. Maybe the better results hast to do with the ceramide percentage. Wheat germ is 55% and grapeseed is 73%. I need to do more research on ceramides.

@LuvlyRain3
how did you find this out ?

Fhrizzball

does anyone know the thread that has a list of ceramide oils and tells which oils has the highest percentage? I'm thinking of incorporating some ceramides but I'm unsure which oil will give the biggest bang for my buck so to speak.

baglady215

Look up ^^^

But according to that post, the percentages weren't % of ceramides but the % of linoleic acid? Interesting, I have to research further...

Sorry to rain on the parade but we need to clarify this.

That lists refers to linoleic acid percentages, NOT CERAMIDES.
The original list appears here:
http://www.news-medical.net/health/O...leic-Acid.aspx

To my knowledge, there's no natural plant-based oil that contains such high percentages of ceramides as listed in the quoted thread (usual content is way less that 10%). The original poster probably found the erroneously labeled list at the long hair comunity forum (sorry,no link for this one--it's again this forum's rules. But you can look it up. The tread title is " Ceramides" in the "Mane" forum...) The poster there didn't even bother to mention a reference.

I looked up a couple of scientific papers on lipid analysis of various oils. The percentages listed are:
rice oil-- ~1% ceramide
walnut oil-- ~2.3% sphingolipids (wich are mostly but not totally composed of ceramides)
almond oil-- Looks like 22% ceramide out of 10% polar lipids in the total oil sample (90% neutral oils) which represents a correction: ignore this--->ceramide<---- sphingolipid concentration of ~2.2 % and a ceramide concentration of %60 of that for ~1.32% ceramide in the total oil amount (someone check my math):

"Lipid classes of almond oil
The analysis of oil A showed the presence of five lipid classes (Table I). Neutral lipids were found in high amounts (89.9% of total lipids) and the predominant lipid class was the triacylglycerides (84.7%) while the polar lipids represented 10.1% of total lipids. The polar lipids were found to be consisted of 22% sphingolipids and 78% phospholipids. Further analysis of sphingolipids presented two distinctive groups of which type III and type IV ceramides were 60% of total sphingolipids. In the phospholipid class the predominant phospholipid was phosphatidylethanolamine (37% of phospholipids)."

Here's the links to the original research articles:

almond: http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v59c/s59c0330.pdf
rice: http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp/...om=jnlabstract
walnut:http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v57c/s57c0051.pdf

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
^^^That was the reason I didn't include those other oils in my OP. I think all oils are beneficial :yep: ; but to date I haven't come across any literature supporting any other oils apart from hemp, wheat germ, walnut, rice bran and barley malt and eucalyptus extracts containing ceramides.

QueenFee

^^^That was the reason I didn't include those other oils in my OP. I think all oils are beneficial :yep: ; but to date I haven't come across any literature supporting any other oils apart from hemp, wheat germ, walnut, rice bran and barley malt and eucalyptus extracts containing ceramides.

I see why now that I have tried safflower&sunflower oils, although they work well I've tride non ceramide oils that have had a better effect on my hair. I'm sticking to the oils that I have but I will deff add the oils that worked better for me to them. I'mexcited to try wheat germ oil. You ladies speak so highly of it.

Hello Ladies! Im new in my hair journey.I thought joining a challenge will give me a handle on all the info perhaps. Unfortunately I do not have the hair lingo down packed. What is a pre-poo, and can anyone possibly suggest a good place to find a regimen? Thank you for the help!!!!!!! :grin:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hello Ladies! Im new in my hair journey.I thought joining a challenge will give me a handle on all the info perhaps. Unfortunately I do not have the hair lingo down packed. What is a pre-poo, and can anyone possibly suggest a good place to find a regimen? Thank you for the help!!!!!!! :grin:

Hey msmurray! As a newbie looking to build a regimen (aka reggie) this article is a good place to start Regimen Building for Newbies

and to answer your question, a pre-poo is short for pre-shampoo treatment. It is adding oils and/or condtioner to the hair as a treatment prior to shampooing. These treatment can be used to add moisture and/or strengthen the hair. They can also be used to reduce the drying effect that some shampoos have.

lilikoi

never mind i remembered lilikoi post about percents on the ceramides

Long Hair Care Forum - View Single Post - Official 2010 Ceramides Challenge

i will be adding a couple tablespoons of WGO to this infamous eco styler gel i keep hearing about :woot::lol:

Thank you for reviving that link. This confusion about the ceramide vs linoleic % is one of my pet peeves!

To further clarify this, I'm posting (with explicit permission) a PM exchange I recently had with your fellow "ceramide challenger" Aireen:

Aireen said:
lilikoi said:
Hello Aireen,

You're not bothering me--it's a nice surprise to hear from you since I'm actually a fan of your hair and usually agree with, and like, your posts.

Your questions are very good and both easy and difficult to answer. Here's the easy answers: Yes, sun, saff, and grape oils contain ceramides. The percentages (of ceramides) for most oils are less than 5%, yet, as low as 1% should be enough to give benefits (L'oreal has a research paper out on this). Just use what you hair (and your nose!) likes.

The difficulty in answering arises from the fact that, as a technical person (read: science nerd) I finding hard to state facts without backing them up with either references or my own research. I'm very interested in the potential benefits of ceramides for both skin and hair but never officially joined the ceramide challenge because I was not convinced the benefits touted by some of the participants were from the ceramides, the products, or the oils! Some of the products identified as containing ceramides in the challenge post only listed some ceramide-containing oil as an ingredient (way down the middle of the list) so I couldn't see how such a low concentration could be responsible for the effect. A confounding factor with most oils is that they would probably be very beneficial even without the ceramides (either as penetrating oils or moisture sealants) so it's hard to tell what's the 'magic ingredient'.

This brings us to linoleic acid: it is essential for healthy skin and hair, so high linoleic acid oils are also very good for you, with or without ceramides, but it seems like the two go hand in hand (i.e., you usually find them together).

I've read a couple of research papers on ceramides and linoleic acid and I'm convinced they're good for hair and skin. When I have time I'll pull them out and summarize them and post them. I'm also experimenting with a non-hair care product that has ceramides listed as 5th ingredients. If I experience benefits I will share.

Hope this answers your questions!

P.S. Can I quote your questions if I decide to post this answer?

Aireen said:
Hi, sorry to bother you. I'm in the ceramides challenge for 2011 and I just wanted to know if sunflower, safflower, or grapeseed oil had a high amount of ceramides or a sufficent amount to see benefits for my hair? I stumbled upon a list in the 2010 ceramide challenge thread that said safflower oil's content was 78% in ceramides but you corrected this by saying the list is actually stating the percentage of linoleic acid. I also wanted to know if you knew what linoleic acid does for the hair and if the benefits are similar to ceramides? Again, sorry to bother you and thank you for your reply in advance. My questions are in bold and if there's any further information you can provide me, it would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for the compliments and for answering my questions. I was sort of confused before but now you cleared my head. I'm very interested about the products since I too look at ingredients and usually I'm not convinced the product will do what it or other people state if the key ingredient is after 5th place; hopefully I'll catch your post when you decide to share. You may certainly use my questions if you decide to post your answer. Thank you so much for taking the time out to post your response, you really helped me out! :grin:

After I replied to Aireen, I found this article that further supports that (1) ceramides are essential for proper skin (and by default hair) health (but we already knew that:grin:) and (2) that linoleic acid content is a good indicator of ceramide (specially ceramide I) content in a specific oil.

Article source:
Ceramides - lipids with multiple assignments
In combination with other skin components ceramides form a natural barrier in the horny layer. They prevent the dehydration of the skin. There are new products which support the skin own formation of ceramides.

A characteristic of ceramide I is its high linoleic acid content, an essential fatty acid, which is vital for the body but can only be supplied over the nutrition or locally applied on the skin with the help of appropriate linoleic acid-containing products. In case of a linoleic acid deficiency ceramide I cannot be formed which results in dehydrated and scaly skin and skin barrier disorders like neurodermatitis (atopic dermatitis). The decrease of the linoleic acid content in the skin nearly is an indicator for atopic dermatitis.

In conclusion: While no one has ever demonstrated a specific correlation between the percentage linoleic acid and the total ceramide concentration (for example, we can't say for certaing that say, 80% linoleic acid=10% ceramide) a high linoleic acid content is indicative of the presence of ceramides.

ETA: I think this is an awesome challenge-you ladies are definitely on the right track! Can I join if my regimen consists only of sealing with hempseed oil?? I'm playing with other ceramide products but haven't found a keeper yet...

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
lilikoi I'd agree with this. Although that section of the article (about linoleic acid deficiency affecting ceramide I production) references skin; ceramide biosynthesis in plants and animals are largely the same. So yes, high linoleic acid could mean presence of ceramides. I am always checking the literature looking for new potential ceramide sources :yep: Maybe we should collaborate and publish a few articles ;I'm looking to come into some grant money soon :lol:.

ETA: I will be adding this info to the OP :yep: thanks so much for the info lilikoi! :)

Last edited:

Aireen

lilikoi - Thanks so much for posting this, it helps to clear up some confusion. Also, I'm pretty happy that I didn't buy the wrong oil and would have to exchange an already opened safflower oil for another ceramide filled one. Good to hear you want to join us in this challenge as well, we can really use your knowledge! :grin:

cch24

I'm not a member of this challenge but I have added hemp oil to my mix (1/3 hemp, 1/3 olive, 1/3 castor) and I can tell a difference in my hair after only a month. It is so much smoother and stronger. I can't wait to see how it feels 6 months - a year from now!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
lilikoi Come on in! :grin: We'd love to have ya :yep:

cch24 Your results sound really good, I hope you're taking pics because the difference will definitely be noticeable :yep:

Lita

Put JBCO mix that contains Eucalyptus on my scalp & spritz my ends with water & added the Soy Butter on the length/ends....

Happy Hair Growing!

Aireen

Put JBCO mix that contains Eucalyptus on my scalp & spritz my ends with water & added the Soy Butter on the length/ends....

Happy Hair Growing!

LITA YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! :cry: I wish mine were THAT thick! :grin:

lilikoi

lilikoi I'd agree with this. Although that section of the article (about linoleic acid deficiency affecting ceramide I production) references skin; ceramide biosynthesis in plants and animals are largely the same. So yes, high linoleic acid could mean presence of ceramides. I am always checking the literature looking for new potential ceramide sources :yep: Maybe we should collaborate and publish a few articles ;I'm looking to come into some grant money soon :lol:.

ETA: I will be adding this info to the OP :yep: thanks so much for the info lilikoi! :)

Research? Publishing? Count me in! (PM me)

I've been really wanting to research this more extensively because it's super-interesting! So I just look up info whenever I remember/have time. I'm grateful to Aireen for re-kindling my curiosity. I'm interested in the improvement of both skin and hair with the aid of ceramides. And I'm beginning to realize that increasing ceramide production internally might as important as topical application. So I've been reading about that. Hope to report back soon!

Lita

LITA YOUR HAIR IS GORGEOUS! :cry: I wish mine were THAT thick! :grin:

Awww Thank you,but my hair isn't as thick as I like ...I'm still working on it ...We can work on thickening our hair together ....

*I wish my hair was as thick as CelinaStarr

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita

Research? Publishing? Count me in! (PM me)

I've been really wanting to research this more extensively because it's super-interesting! So I just look up info whenever I remember/have time. I'm grateful to Aireen for re-kindling my curiosity. I'm interested in the improvement of both skin and hair with the aid of ceramides. And I'm beginning to realize that increasing ceramide production internally might as important as topical application. So I've been reading about that. Hope to report back soon!

Yes,Taking EFA's internally is excellent for the body,skin & hair....
*I notice how nice my skin is when I take it daily....

Happy Hair Growing!

Aireen

Awww Thank you,but my hair isn't as thick as I like ...I'm still working on it ...We can work on thickening our hair together ....

*I wish my hair was as thick as CelinaStarr

Happy Hair Growing!

Yes I'm trying to achieve thicker hair too! Working together is a lot more encouraging. :hugs:

I'll admit though that thickness is taking a backseat to length but I should probably work harder for both. :look:

Lita

Yes I'm trying to achieve thicker hair too! Working together is a lot more encouraging. :hugs:

I'll admit though that thickness is taking a backseat to length but I should probably work harder for both. :look:

*I notice my hair got thicker first/length came 2nd....

Happy Hair Growing!

BreeNique

I'm not a member of this challenge but I have added hemp oil to my mix (1/3 hemp, 1/3 olive, 1/3 castor) and I can tell a difference in my hair after only a month. It is so much smoother and stronger. I can't wait to see how it feels 6 months - a year from now!
OP, how do you apply your hemp, olive and castor oil mix?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
So after reading what I have missed in the last few days, Im going to be def getting that Hemp seed oil....

Lita

Last night wet my hair applied coconut curl cream to moisturize/Soy Butter on length sealed with Argan Meadowform seed mix...

Happy Hair Growing!

NikkiQ

I've been lurking in this thread since it started and was so motivated by you ladies that I went to Big Lots and bought the last 3 bottles of Skala Ceramides conditioner. I've used it before and had great results so I might as well keep riding it til the wheels fall off. Thanks for the inspiration everyone :wave:

Vonnieluvs08

Have been sealing my hair (in braids) this week with my ceramide oil mix. I did have to take a 2 day break becuz my hair felt oily but that passed quickly.

Am doing a HOT with my ceramide mix. Will co wash with Skala G3. Will seal with ceramide mix after L-I.

Hoping to see great results with this after I take my braids out in March. I'm not a daily sealer so this will be the test.