CURLMELEONS UNTIE!!! (Transitioning Thread)

Ltown

Greyland
It’s my 1 year anniversary of transitioning. I have BC 3 times in my lifetime because that is how I was told to go natural cut off the relaxer. I always cave in because I just did not have the patience and really did not have these nice hairstyle to do while transition with shorter hair. Well when I came here last year and read Southern tease thread (BC or transition) I was surprise to read and learn you can transition with pony, buns, etc to natural. I wore a ponytail most of my military career so I knew that was going to be easy so I decide I’m going to do this. I have probably been to just about every transitioner’s or natural’s fortki , blog or album that could get into sulking up good information. I could only transition because of LHCF, and all the wonderful information that is share throughout this forum. For those who are new or maybe thinking about it going natural please read, and ask questions you’ll get it here. Thank you all!
I have 2 inches of relaxer in the front and 1” sparingly in the back. I think the front is looser curl than I remember but I’m going to continue to nip and transition and reevaluate in Jan 10.
Here is a link to my album don't know how this actually work but you can see update in album posted today.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=3930

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Is your hair as soft as it looks??? It's so beautiful!!!

LOL @ your mask!!!!

It’s my 1 year anniversary of transitioning. I have BC 3 times in my lifetime because that is how I was told to go natural cut off the relaxer. I always cave in because I just did not have the patience and really did not have these nice hairstyle to do while transition with shorter hair. Well when I came here last year and read Southern tease thread (BC or transition) I was surprise to read and learn you can transition with pony, buns, etc to natural. I wore a ponytail most of my military career so I knew that was going to be easy so I decide I’m going to do this. I have probably been to just about every transitioner’s or natural’s fortki , blog or album that could get into sulking up good information. I could only transition because of LHCF, and all the wonderful information that is share throughout this forum. For those who are new or maybe thinking about it going natural please read, and ask questions you’ll get it here. Thank you all!
I have 2 inches of relaxer in the front and 1” sparingly in the back. I think the front is looser curl than I remember but I’m going to continue to nip and transition and reevaluate in Jan 10.
Here is a link to my album don't know how this actually work but you can see update in album posted today.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=3930

Ltown

Greyland
Congratulations!!!!!!!
Is your hair as soft as it looks??? It's so beautiful!!!

LOL @ your mask!!!!

It is soft and I hate that because it hard to get styles to hold or look good especially with a relaxer. I'm hoping I can sports some your hair style.:grin: Still can't hold braidout for more than a day but I'll get there. Thank you

Glamorous_chic

well, i finally had a good wash day. i washed this past weekend, and it was a bit of a disaster. i took my braids out b/c they were breaking me out (i think i was allergic to the hair or something in it)and i'm obviouslly hardheaded. lol. i prepooed with pantenes r&n breakage defense mask for a few minutes, and my hair broke off in clumps. i then washed, and deep conditioned and long story short, my hair was breaking off by the handfull, and it was hard and stiff. i tried a braidout, but my hair isn't thick enough (despite what stylist say). it looked a mess.

anyways, yesterday, i prepooed with hollywood's aloe cholesterol treatment and vatika oil. washed with qhemet's tea shampoo, conditioned with he's hello hydration, and applied ntm hair mask. my hair literally felt like silk. i applied ntm leave in. and let it air dry. and for the first time ever, it was soft, and not brittle and breaking (usually when i air dry, my hair gets hard and brittle). i applied some qhemets honey and olive to my edges and brushed in a ponytail. and my hair finally looks decent in a bun. i'm gonna try my curlformers again this weekend. im crossing my fingers they look decent.

andromeda

I straightened my hair (first time in 6 months) on Monday after stretching in braids overnight. I then did a silk wrap, which curiously sped up the reversion. Obviously, my straightening technique is in desperate need of improvement. I really hope I don't have any heat damage.

I cut between 4-5 in earlier this year (late spring/summer). Here's my current length.
IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0702.jpg
:hiya:
Your hair's beautiful!
I'm holding out till June 2010 at the earliest so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress :yep:
Thanks so much, MG! You're one of my transitioning idols! Your hair looks so gorgeous and healthy and your braid/twist-outs are on point.

-PYT

@Glamorous Chic: Oh my! We're like transitioning sisters!! Same time span and everything! I'm glad you had a good wash day. I'm still feeling impatient with my hair but I will try to be more careful with the newgrowth. Why do you think your hair broke off so badly, though?

varaneka

I was bad and bleached my hair blonde. I eventually cut it to SL but tonight I just had to get rid of more dead hair lol.

KiSseS03

So, my update. I am now 10 months (44 weeks) post relaxer.

Honestly, I have not been feeling my hair lately, and I've been treating it as such, and it was starting to show, with breakage and tangles. I read the hair board last night, and was re-inspired to give my hair some much needed tlc.

I did an overnight pre-poo with some cheapie cholesterol that I had laying around. This cut down on my tangling immensely, then poo-d with NTM, followed this up with my beloved Motions CPR for 30 mins under a cap. I also took the time to wash my hair in braided sections.

Styling: I roller-set my hair, dried it then lightly flat-ironed the roots. I realized this morning that my last trim was the same day as my last relaxer, over 10 months ago, so I was much over-due! I self-trimmed quite a bit of hair, some of it was some remaining over-processed ends which I was very happy to be rid of.

I'm happy to report that my hair has grown from a forced ear-length/NL inverted bob cut (due to the stylist over-processing me:() to past SL, on it's way to APL in the past 10 months-- even with an aggressive trim!

I'm definitely going to keep transitioning, at least until the 12 month mark, and I will re-evaluate from there.

Glamorous_chic

@Glamorous Chic: Oh my! We're like transitioning sisters!! Same time span and everything! I'm glad you had a good wash day. I'm still feeling impatient with my hair but I will try to be more careful with the newgrowth. Why do you think your hair broke off so badly, though?

my hair is very protein sensitive. anything with protein causes it to break off instantly. i know this, yet i continue to try protein treatments b/c im hardheaded. :wallbash: so, i have alot of products i literally only used once that i can't use. i just think that using too many moisturizing products with no protein can't be good, but i dont know what else to do. i'm impatient with my hair too, im thinking i'll probably bc for my bday next year, which would make me 20 months post by then. **hoping i can make it**

caligirl2385

Hi CURLMELEONS! I am having a problem with breakage too. Every time I run my fingers through my hair to moisturize it, I experience a lot of breakage. For ex. yesterday was wash day. I did a 30min hot oil treatment with EVOO and coconut oil. I used Cream of Nature Nourishing shampoo. Deep Conditioned with Motions CPR(and a little coconut oil) and did a final conditioner rinse with Cream of Nature Moisturizing Conditioner. My hair felt strong while I was detangling under water but as soon as I started to apply s-curl and coconut oil, I had lots of strands in my hands. I'm quite sure it was breakage considering I didn't see any bulbs. Do you have any ideas? Just like week I did an aphogee 2min reconstructor because I thought I needed protein. My hair was extremely dry and brittle afterwards. I ended up doing a deep conditioning the next day. What in the heck is going on with my hair? On a daily basis, I use Elasta QP mango butter and coconut oil to moisturize. I appreciate any help!!

Last edited:

snugglez41685

Hair Type? 4a/OS

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? Don't know started transition in Sept/Oct 2007

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Will not trim off relaxed ends until BSL. Currently Wigging it (see avatar) with cornrows underneath.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Yes in May of '08 I took down a weave and didn't detangle properly and lost a lot of hair (first weave ever):nono:

What products are you are using? My beloved Scurl and WGO oil to seal. Creme of Nature(old bottle, green and white) shampoo, Elasta QP DPR 11 deep conditioner.

Damaged but not out

this whole time i thoght u were calling ur self curlmelons and i didnt get it....didnt get it at all:grin:

To start just introduce yourself/ hair story: Im about 3/4 texturised, the rest is relaxed, coloured and damaged

Hair Type? 4a/b sumthing anything past 3c

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? Im 6 weeks post

What is your transitioning plan? I think i might get one final texturiser done in Dec and start fresh Jan '10 So instead of 3 textures i have 2 similar ones

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Hmm if all goes well Jan 2011.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? My hair hasnt been growing, w/o supplements or aids i usually grow and retain 6+ inches in a year. This year ive retained only 3 inches so far. Hoping to turn that around

What products are you are using? I use shea butter, aloe, coco oil, EVOO, Castor oil, other things but those 5 will be constant.

andromeda

Well, after wearing my hair straightened for a week, I washed & DC'd yesterday. No noticeable heat damage. My hair in its wet/shrunken state is absolutely hilarious and slightly pathetic - the contrast of thick new growth to sorry, bonelaxed, thin relaxed ends:
:lachen:

New growth

I foresee a very frustrating transition...

Nina_deF

About a couple of months ago I decided to discontinue my msm use (because of a thread about how it can cause belly bloating).

A week ago I took down my braids and discovered this:

Closest to my scalp is smooth, frizzfree texture, below is frizz, none defined mess.

Can it be because I am msm-free OR is it 7 months worth of scap hair???:wallbash:

Oh and my belly is less round too......

MummysGirl

I too think I have some scab hair :-( We'll see how bad it is when we're all natural I guess.
You have a lot of growth buddy!
About a couple of months ago I decided to discontinue my msm use (because of a thread about how it can cause belly bloating).

A week ago I took down my braids and discovered this:

Closest to my scalp is smooth, frizzfree texture, below is frizz, none defined mess.

Can it be because I am msm-free OR is it 7 months worth of scap hair???:wallbash:

Oh and my belly is less round too......

MummysGirl

Your natural hair is thick and pretty! It won't be as frustrating as you expect, I am sure of it! I thought I'd be frustrated by month 6... I am approaching month 10 and it's still going well.
When you find things that work, everything will fall into place :yep:

Well, after wearing my hair straightened for a week, I washed & DC'd yesterday. No noticeable heat damage. My hair in its wet/shrunken state is absolutely hilarious and slightly pathetic - the contrast of thick new growth to sorry, bonelaxed, thin relaxed ends:
:lachen:

New growth

I foresee a very frustrating transition...

MummysGirl

Is Motions CPR a protein con? What's your usual DC? If CPR is protein, maybe DC with a moisturising con after... also, try to take out coconut oil from your moisturising routine and see how it goes.

Good luck.

Hi CURLMELEONS! I am having a problem with breakage too. Every time I run my fingers through my hair to moisturize it, I experience a lot of breakage. For ex. yesterday was wash day. I did a 30min hot oil treatment with EVOO and coconut oil. I used Cream of Nature Nourishing shampoo. Deep Conditioned with Motions CPR(and a little coconut oil) and did a final conditioner rinse with Cream of Nature Moisturizing Conditioner. My hair felt strong while I was detangling under water but as soon as I started to apply s-curl and coconut oil, I had lots of strands in my hands. I'm quite sure it was breakage considering I didn't see any bulbs. Do you have any ideas? Just like week I did an aphogee 2min reconstructor because I thought I needed protein. My hair was extremely dry and brittle afterwards. I ended up doing a deep conditioning the next day. What in the heck is going on with my hair? On a daily basis, I use Elasta QP mango butter and coconut oil to moisturize. I appreciate any help!!

onejamifan

Checking in--- 5 months post. I have been wearing my hair straight, but I've been working out and the sweat is leaving my hair a hot mess! I can't wash my hair every day.... what should I do to keep my hair looking decent????

diva24

Jami to be honest, you may want to consider braid outs or twist outs. I know during my first transition I relied heavily on heat to keep my hair straight but I found that the heat damage showed when I tried to wear my hair curly. Or maybe if you would like to maintain straight hair a rollerset with a stronger setting lotion. It may withstand the sweating better

caligirl2385

Is Motions CPR a protein con? What's your usual DC? If CPR is protein, maybe DC with a moisturising con after... also, try to take out coconut oil from your moisturising routine and see how it goes.

Good luck.

thanks so much for responding. yes, motions cpr does have protein. i'm going to take your suggestion and use a moisturizing conditioner instead. :)

Ltown

Greyland
53 weeks post and I'll continue to transition until I can grow 2 more inches of hair to cut off the rest. I need to at least be able to have a decent pony. I grow slowwwwwwwwwww:nono: so I'll be protective styling for the winter.

soon2bsl

16 weeks post. Just took my sew-in down on Monday that I've had in for the past 3 weeks. I'll be back to buns and half wigs again. I wore a phony pony today, and think I may start incorporating that more in my protective styles.

SweetD

Hi! It's been a while since my last checkin. I am 12 weeks post. I did a mini chop in August. My hair is neck length now. Getting really tired of dealing with the different textures. I am afraid to wash my hair now because the last time I washed my hair it got matted and I had to go to work so I just put it in one and went on to work. When I got home from work that evening I took my time and detangled in small sections.

I used Qhemets Cocoa tree detangling ghee and it worked great for me. I wear my hair it in a low pony tail everyday with my flexi8 clip. I will be getting twists in November. I am doing my BC in December. I am excited and can't wait. :grin:

LytBrnSuga

Hair Type? 3b/4c

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? a little over 9 months.

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I don't plan to BC, i've did that a few years ago. I want to gradually trim away the relaxed portion. My fav hairstyle right now is a pony tail. But, I am working on learning the twist-outs.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? The main issue I am having is itchy scalp, and dry/frizzy hair all together.

What products are you are using? My fave all time is Lush's Godiva shampoo and Retread conditioner. Since I've been researching how to take care of my hair, I have been trying some of the "kitchen creations" I've found here. So, still alot to learn, but so far, I am satified.

zazzi

Hi Curlmeleons!! I'm no longer transitioning ... I did the big chop on Sunday, 10/11! :) I was approaching 9 months post, and I'd been wanting to chop for awhile, so I went to my Mom and had her do it! :)

varaneka

Hi Curlmeleons!! I'm no longer transitioning ... I did the big chop on Sunday, 10/11! :) I was approaching 9 months post, and I'd been wanting to chop for awhile, so I went to my Mom and had her do it! :)

I chopped too

I never thought I would but I'm glad I did.:grin: