CURLMELEONS UNTIE!!! (Transitioning Thread)

Hi ladies, I'm around 7 months post now. Took the twists out 2 weeks ago, cowashed, blowdried, & flatironed 2 days ago. It rained yesterday so I cowashed again today and I'm doing a bantu knot set now. Currently loving the new growth <3

I'm experiencing so many setbacks, it's not funny. :nono: I have breakage at my edges (probably from slicking them back and flatironing) and I can't get my rod sets to look right anymore (I can't get the roller tight enough to stay). Twist outs don't really work for my because my ends look all stringy.

I don't want to relax... I really want a weave, especially since my time is so limited now and I don't have time to fight with new growth. :sad:

Still in cornrows underneath my wig... currently 12wks post and so far I'm doing good. Not really manipulating to give an honest answer. I'm going to be done with the fake hair by Mar 2010. :yep: it's going to be buns and ____insert choice___-outs from then on.
ETA: In 2010, I will also be trying the BKT!!!

hey everyone.
This is my third week in flat twists, sometimes i get such an urge to play in my hair but then i remember it's all locked away lol. . i'm actually loving the versatility of flat twists though because i have bought a good few head accessories and head bands and i've even gotten a few compliments. i do admit i'm in abit of a hair rut..any one else in the same boat?

In my opinon, you are right at the critical/most difficult part of the transition that 6 month mark. To me it seemed as if my new growth was fighting me :perplexed. I would suggest keeping you NG SUPER moisturised. That was my problem - I didn't use enough moisture. I would say every night if needed. And my second suggestion would be to figure out a style quick. If you could find something that will, for the most part, keep you out of your hair for the next 3 months you will be good. I ended up getting a sew in weave at my 6 month mark and it was a great decision because I didn't have to think about it. Once I got to 9 months + it was smoother sailing becuase more of my hair was natural then relaxed. Some of the styles/do's I would suggest for this crunch time are a sew-in, lace front wig (you can keep those in for weeks at a time), braids (not micro's especially if your having issues with your edges), flexi rods (using something to set the hair like Jane Care Solutions/they can last for at least a week)...anything where you are not constantly manipulating your hair right not becuase it is totally fragile and can break easily - at least mine was and did. My new growth was the thickest in the middle/top part of my head and it broke of a bit.

I hope some of my suggestions help.

I'm experiencing so many setbacks, it's not funny. :nono: I have breakage at my edges (probably from slicking them back and flatironing) and I can't get my rod sets to look right anymore (I can't get the roller tight enough to stay). Twist outs don't really work for my because my ends look all stringy.

I don't want to relax... I really want a weave, especially since my time is so limited now and I don't have time to fight with new growth. :sad:

Ok Ladies, this is the official thread for the Transitioning Buddy thread. **Please note: this is NOT to step on the toes of any of the other transitioning threads** It's just to be there for each other and help each other get through this tranisitioning phase to get back to our natural texture:yep: If you want to join you are very welcome.

As you can see we are called the CurlMeleons. As explained by CreoleSugarFace: When we're all finally 100% naturally textured again, our hair will be able to be sooo much more versatile. We can go from the curliest on the hairstyle spectrum to the straightest! We'll be hair chameleons lol! =D

We will check in about once every month to see how our progress is going and to note any changes (good or bad) that we have noticed. Also if we are having a problem we can get advice on this issue from someone who has been transitioning for a while or who has already experienced the problem.

To start just introduce yourself/ hair story:

Hair Type? I think between 4a or 4b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 1 year and 6 days (i'm in shock!!) iT'S GONE SO QUICK :look:

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)
mainly weaves and pick and drop braids

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it?
it was meant to be 1 yrs time, i just realised it was year today, i was so shocked...
Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? i hate full weaves as they look fake, i had temptation to perm

What products are you are using?
Love my Shea butter i whip it myself,cantu shea butter, ORS sHEA bUTTER, Herbal essesnse conditioner,

Morning ladies! Everything is going good. I did a beautiful bantu knot-out this week but I wasn't able to maintain it so I had to cowash the next day and wet bun. I'm wet bunning it today, and I think I'll use my curlformers tonight and see how that turns out. My new growth isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would at this point (I'm the girl that had my stylist touch up every six weeks like clock work). I hope everyone's having a great hair day!

P.S. Thought about BC'ing 3 times already :wallbash::lachen::lachen:

Hello, Im new to LHCF and am addicted already.
I need some SERIOUS transition buddies. I think all my friends are going to back out on me.

Hair Type?4a/4b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 2.5 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Roller Sets, twists, braid outs. until Im comfortable enough for a BC

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? April, 2009 maybe on my birthday

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not yet

What products are you are using? Im just trying anything natural

Hair Type? 4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 11 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? I want to BC at 16-18 months. Seems undo-able right now, so I am trying to make it to one year.

Hair styles: I do bantu knots, I straighten once a month and I usually wear a bun which I will have to cutt back on because my edges are thining

Going to do it after my commencement in february. That would bring me to 14 months. Either that or my birthday in may which will bring me to 17 months. if I can hold out I will cutt the first day of school in 2009/2010. So, I have three dates set lol

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? I went into protein overload, I experienced abnormal shedding and my edges have thinned from bunning so much

Cowash: V05, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
Wash: Creme of Nature Detangling
Deep Treatment: Relaxed and Natural, V05 Hot Oil Intensive Treatment, Queen Helene's Cholesterol, Honey, EVOO, Coconut Oil
Protein: Eggs or Henna
Stling: Coconut Oil, EVOO, Cantu Shea Butter, Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship

Last edited:
In my opinon, you are right at the critical/most difficult part of the transition that 6 month mark. To me it seemed as if my new growth was fighting me :perplexed. I would suggest keeping you NG SUPER moisturised. That was my problem - I didn't use enough moisture. I would say every night if needed. And my second suggestion would be to figure out a style quick. If you could find something that will, for the most part, keep you out of your hair for the next 3 months you will be good. I ended up getting a sew in weave at my 6 month mark and it was a great decision because I didn't have to think about it. Once I got to 9 months + it was smoother sailing becuase more of my hair was natural then relaxed. Some of the styles/do's I would suggest for this crunch time are a sew-in, lace front wig (you can keep those in for weeks at a time), braids (not micro's especially if your having issues with your edges), flexi rods (using something to set the hair like Jane Care Solutions/they can last for at least a week)...anything where you are not constantly manipulating your hair right not becuase it is totally fragile and can break easily - at least mine was and did. My new growth was the thickest in the middle/top part of my head and it broke of a bit.

I hope some of my suggestions help.

Thank you! I'm going to check out the Jane Care solutions. I have been having a hard time getting my flexirods and curly styles to last for a week. I'm going to look into some of these suggestions, I really appreciate it. :bighug:

Hi Ladies, I'm late tot he party but I'm in.

Hair Type? 4a I think... We'll see after I get rid of these relaxed ends:look:

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? Um Let me check ETA: 20 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? I'll snip as I go and completely cut the relax ends when my NG reaches shoulder lenght.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Braids outs and wet buns.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No, I'm at the mercy of my growth rate b/c I hate shorter than shoulder lenght hair.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No, I'm maintaining a nice moisture balance and I'm in the zone. :drunk:

What products are you are using? AO HSR for DC, Nature's Gate for cowashes, V05 Moisture milks for cowashes, Dr Bronner's Castille soap for Poo very rarely, Karishma Henna every 3 wks, coconut oil and shea butter to seal, ecostyler gel occasionally on my edges

Last edited:
Welcome Ladies!!!!

ZeeOl'Lady I know you from the other transitioning thread (s), 1 year is only a month away, You'll be all natural soon :)

Hello, Im new to LHCF and am addicted already.
I need some SERIOUS transition buddies. I think all my friends are going to back out on me.

Hair Type?4a/4b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 2.5 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Roller Sets, twists, braid outs. until Im comfortable enough for a BC

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? April, 2009 maybe on my birthday

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not yet

What products are you are using? Im just trying anything natural

Hair Type? 4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 11 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? I want to BC at 16-18 months. Seems undo-able right now, so I am trying to make it to one year.

Hair styles: I do bantu knots, I straighten once a month and I usually wear a bun which I will have to cutt back on because my edges are thining

Going to do it after my commencement in february. That would bring me to 14 months. Either that or my birthday in may which will bring me to 17 months. if I can hold out I will cutt the first day of school in 2009/2010. So, I have three dates set lol

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? I went into protein overload, I experienced abnormal shedding and my edges have thinned from bunning so much

Cowash: V05, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
Wash: Creme of Nature Detangling
Deep Treatment: Relaxed and Natural, V05 Hot Oil Intensive Treatment, Queen Helene's Cholesterol, Honey, EVOO, Coconut Oil
Protein: Eggs or Henna
Stling: Coconut Oil, EVOO, Cantu Shea Butter, Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship

Hi Ladies, I'm late tot he party but I'm in.

Hair Type? 4a I think... We'll see after I get rid of these relaxed ends:look:

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? Um Let me check ETA: 20 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? I'll snip as I go and completely cut the relax ends when my NG reaches shoulder lenght.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Braids outs and wet buns.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No, I'm at the mercy of my growth rate b/c I hate shorter than shoulder lenght hair.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No, I'm maintaining a nice moisture balance and I'm in the zone. :drunk:

What products are you are using? AO HSR for DC, Nature's Gate for cowashes, V05 Moisture milks for cowashes, Dr Bronner's Castille soap for Poo very rarely, Karishma Henna every 3 wks, coconut oil and shea butter to seal, ecostyler gel occasionally on my edges

Last edited:
Hair Type? 4b, I think

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? OK, well the last time I had my hair professionally relaxed was in Feb09 then I tried a weave from march till may. I then did a box perm in june but I got scared and washed it out so maybe I texlaxed a little.

What is your transitioning plan? I plan on cutting off the relaxed ends in a few weeks and doing cornrows braided into a bun. I am in the military so I have to have it pulled back.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Braids Braids Braids at least until Feb of next year. I am currently 51/2 months pregnant and tired.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Yes in a few weeks just have to find someone to do it and then go to the braid shop.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? No, probably because of the prenatal vitamins and frequent cowashes

What products are you are using? Right now I am trying to use up some old stuff to justify buying new. But co-washes are with VO5, I have also exprimented with Amla, Brahmi, and Henna powders.

I am also thinking about a hair steamer but I dont know how I would use it while wearing braids.

Nicole

Hi Ladies!!!

Hair Type?
I haven't a clue...:nono:

How many months/weeks/ days post are you?
A few months passed one year... see ticker below

What is your transitioning plan?
I am just growing it all out. I am happy that I had colored my hair back around the time of the relaxer, so seeing my dark hair versus the color is a great way for me to guage my growth. Once I hit FULL BSL, I would like to possibly start trimming.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)
wash 'n' go daily / cowashing... tho, i have fallen in love with washing my hair with the kiwi lime clarifying poo and conditioner. This has really helped me alot, not to mention its easy and my hair smells so pretty:lick:
Also, I pull back into a ponybun. I would like to try curl formers (they are expensive!!!:look:) My last attempt at a rollerset was an absolute fail, specifically with my new growth, so...:nono:

No plans to BC at this point.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet?
Not anything too major. I don't comb my hair after my wash or cowash, I just pile my hair on top of my head (like in my avi pic). When I do detangle, which can be a week or waaaaay more (near a month)... it can be a pain... I have started detangling underwater with conditioner with denman... that helps.

Vo5 (poo / con), aussie moist (con), the last of my hsr (con), and pantene for women of color (poo / con) whichever I am in the mood for...
For styling, Leave in one of my conditioners listed above, shea cantu butter, vatika frosting or coconut oil, and recently, I added Qhemet... detangling ghee (still trying to adjust to this smell), burdock root cream, and honeybalm... I am working on simplifying...:rolleyes:

Happy Hair Growing:drunk:

Last edited:
checking in. transition still going. i'm bunning right now. just bought a wig, and will buy a few more for the weekend when i go out,so i can protect my hair. i'm still taking my vitamins, and applying bt and beemine. i'm going to start applying mn.

Your welcome. Try using the smaller ones. What I found is that even if my entire head didn't last for a week - the front held up pretty well - and therefore, I would keep the front out (you could actually re-roll some of the front if it starts to uncurl) and pin up the back in a sort of french roll. The small ones in my BSS are yellow.

I really want you to have success! So keep asking questions. I have been exactly were you are as well as many ladies here so keep throwing out questions and we'll keep giving you suggestings. I'll try to post the version of the roller I'm referring to. Oh yeah, here's a video/tutorial that helped me a bunch with my flexi-rod set. Some of her other vides are good as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5NvOqsHEo&feature=channel

Thank you! I'm going to check out the Jane Care solutions. I have been having a hard time getting my flexirods and curly styles to last for a week. I'm going to look into some of these suggestions, I really appreciate it. :bighug:

Welcome to the CurlMeleons Ladies... Happy hair growing. If you have any questions or issues post here and someone can help you.

Hair Type? 4a I think
How many months/weeks/ days post are you? the ends of september will make 6 months i think

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? mini- chops along the way.

Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) braid out, twist-outs, buns, french twists, phony ponys, maybe half wigs.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Nope
Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? well, my bone-laxed hair (hair relaxed bone straight) looks really bad and see-through when I straighten. And I have to find the right tool (denman?) to reduce brekage. I use to manipulate my hair at least 3 times a day with a comb of a brush. Now I start to treat it like natural hair, finger comb, spritz water on it before I manipulate it.

What products are you are using? Tresemme moisture shampoo and conditionner, ORS shampoo, water, castor oil, coconut oil, shea butter, aloe vera gel.

hi ladies... just checkin in... yesterday was a testy day for me... i had a pretty bad hair day... I was so frustrated, that I had thoughts of backsliding into a tub full of relaxer:blush::naughty: my hair was just so stubborn and difficult:wallbash:

flat ironed yesterday (posted a couple of pics), did some bantu knots and my hair was so pretty today...tho alot of the form wilted throughout the day from the heat...:look:

Im still on my quest... too far to turn back... :yep:

happy hair growin ladies...

I'm getting atsy with these relaxed ends - I want them gone :wallbash:

But I want length too ... :ohwell: ... so I'm gonna continue with my transition for as long as feasibly possible. It seems as though I will not know what works and what don't work for my hair until I'm fully natural. Right now, what works for the natural - don't work for relaxed. So I'm at a point where I'm just using up all the products I have until I'm fully natural and then I can experiment with products and find the right combo.

IMG00022-20090916-0907.jpg

IMG00019-20090916-0906.jpg

IMG00017-20090916-0905.jpg

IMG00023-20090916-0908.jpg

Your natural hair is really really pretty!!!!! Try to hold out for as long as possible. You can do it!

I have so many reasons I'm motivated to transition for much longer ( at least 9 more months in my case):
1. I need enough length to braid/twist my hair as in middle siggy and hold it all up, even if not in a ponytail initially, but at least up in some way.
2. I need enough length to wear the same braids down and (again) without it sticking in all directions. To have enough weight to fall like this (obviously not this same length when I'm initially natural):

3. My shrinkage is amazing, my new growth appears shorter than half its actual length.

Keep it up, you're doing so well!!!!

I'm getting atsy with these relaxed ends - I want them gone :wallbash:

But I want length too ... :ohwell: ... so I'm gonna continue with my transition for as long as feasibly possible. It seems as though I will not know what works and what don't work for my hair until I'm fully natural. Right now, what works for the natural - don't work for relaxed. So I'm at a point where I'm just using up all the products I have until I'm fully natural and then I can experiment with products and find the right combo.

View attachment 42382

View attachment 42384

View attachment 42386

View attachment 42388

I'm about 5 months post and i'm trying to find ways to do my hair, besides a ponytail. I want to get kinky twists installed, I tried to see if I could do them myself but that didn't go so well. haha. I love my curly hair and can't wait to see more of it grow out!

Hair Type? 4a, i think

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? about 5 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) trimming gradually; will use weaves, braids, braid outs, and up-dos to help

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? not sure when yet

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not since deciding to transition

What products are you are using? my hair has been weaved up for a while. i have to figure out which products work best for it now. i did a hot oil treatment, washed with keracare shampoo and conditioner, and deep conditioned with motions cpr the other day. my hair seemed happy with that

Last edited:
This is taking a LOOONNNGGG time.

I'm braiding it up for while, so sick of fighting the four different textures.
I took a picture while braiding and I am NOT happy, I so wish my ng was longer.

Semi-dry, coconut oil as only leave-in, although I wet and oil with castor oil on each piece of hair before I braid it.

374453807.jpg

Your new growth is BEAUTIFUL!!!! You have a lot of it! Did you do the braids without extensions? Do you like them?

I understand needing a break from dealing with more than one texture, that's why I braid up my hair for 2 weeks then leave it out for 2 weeks (twistouts, braidouts) - this is a good balance so far.

This is taking a LOOONNNGGG time.

I'm braiding it up for while, so sick of fighting the four different textures.
I took a picture while braiding and I am NOT happy, I so wish my ng was longer.

Semi-dry, coconut oil as only leave-in, although I wet and oil with castor oil on each piece of hair before I braid it.

Back