6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

Aggie

I ain't lyin' I really miss applying my ayurveda concoctions to my hair. I have 2-3 more weeks to go with these braids before removal. I will take 2 weeks to treat my hair before re-installing them.

I can't wait to get back on the ayurveda train:yep:.

Galadriel

Checking in...

I've been doing overnight baggies w/ henna-infused conditioner, using an Amla hair butter, and vatika oil. My hair is super thick, and I love it.

Btw, happy b-day Aggie, and the braids look gorgeous!

flowinlocks

Seems like my hair responds to a few of the powders negatively, thats shikakai, Aritha, Henna,( I don't mix all three at once, and if I use shikakia I don't use Aritha) however if I use the shikakia soap bar my hair likes it, I could be making the paste to thick, I don't know. now my hair lovesssss Hib, KT ,KK, Maka, Feng....

I'm the same way when it comes to Shikakai if used in a paste. Even with other powders and cond. mixed in.:nono: I can only handle it on my hair for about 10 mins. Even when mixed with cond. it's still too gritty for my liking, and hard too rinse out. My hair hates Aritha in any form. Now as for Shikakai in the poo bar or as a tea!:love: I think I have finally mastered a way of using this herb to make my hair thrive. For the past month or so I have been experimenting with a double tea rinse. The first one consists of Shikakai, Amla, and Kalpi tone, although sometimes I leave out the KT. I always use twice the amount of the other powders than I would the Shikakai. I steep it in a small sauce pan with the herbs in a strainer. I let this sit for about 1/2 hour. Then I pour it in a gallon pitcher and fill it up with cool water. After I rinse with this over and over I let it sit on my hair for about 5 min. then rinse it out. During the 5 mins. I quickly rinse out my strainer and pot, put on some fresh water for tea #2 and add Hibiscus, Fenugreek, Bhrami, and Bhringraj. If it's daytime I'll add the Horsetail and Nettle. If I'm adding Horsetail, I'll add double the amount.:lick: I don't boil the tea, once again I steep it, dilute it, and rinse it through my hair. I DON'T RINSE THIS ONE OUT. I gently wring out the hair and apply AM and Suave Humectant. (this technique doesn't work as well for me when I apply a protein cond. after tea rinsing.) I save those for when I make the pastes. I cover my hair with a plastic cap and let it marinate for about 2 hours with all these conditioning, moisturizing herbs and when I finally rinse....:dance7::gorgeous::love2: It's a silkiness that's undeniable. Plus it feels clean and strong. I have been doing this once a week in rotation with the poo bar, and cond. paste. Imoan, make sure you have enough oil in your hair also. When I do the tea rinses my hair is coated in oil from a few days prior, plus I prepoo with more oil that day. Believe me the Shikakai will pull it off your hair , but if I don't go heavy enough on the oils. :blush: Lol be careful because Shikakai and Aritha, especially Aritha will strip your hair down to the cortex.:lachen:Have fun but be careful with these two.

ETA: The silkiness I get from this lasts even when the hair dries, even before I apply any product or oil.

Aggie

Checking in...

I've been doing overnight baggies w/ henna-infused conditioner, using an Amla hair butter, and vatika oil. My hair is super thick, and I love it.

Btw, happy b-day Aggie, and the braids look gorgeous!

Thanks for the B-Day wishes Galadriel. I sure do appreciate it:yep:.

ceecy29

Just started posting more on the board, so here's my official Ayurveda check-in. I'm applying Bhringraj oil to my scalp and massaging nightly.

Nice & Wavy

Worked my oils all week...now going to the salon for a wash and treatment in other words....I'M GOING TO GET MY HAIR DID!:lachen:

Be back with pics.....:sekret:

I just love Ayurveda!

Cassandra1975

Just did another henna treatment on Saturday afternoon. I only left it on for 5.5 hours this time. I meant to add hibiscus powder, but I forgot. Will have to try it like that next time. Still adding Vatika Frosting to my DC. I am just about out of DC and debating on if I will order more Sitrinillah. I know they are behind on orders right now, so I may have to try something else.

Nice & Wavy

Oooh I can't wait to see them Nice & Wavy:grin:.
I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but I decided NOT to get my hair straightened today. I dunno....I got to the salon, sat in the car for about 10 minutes and then left. I was all excited this morning, but I think I've had enough of heat for awhile. My hair is healthy, strong and getting long and I want it to stay that way.

I think it was the Lord who stopped me....I may never know why and that's ok!

Next time....

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Just did another henna treatment on Saturday afternoon. I only left it on for 5.5 hours this time. I meant to add hibiscus powder, but I forgot. Will have to try it like that next time. Still adding Vatika Frosting to my DC. I am just about out of DC and debating on if I will order more Sitrinillah. I know they are behind on orders right now, so I may have to try something else.

They shut down the store for 1-2 weeks last time I checked the site.

Aggie

I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but I decided NOT to get my hair straightened today. I dunno....I got to the salon, sat in the car for about 10 minutes and then left. I was all excited this morning, but I think I've had enough of heat for awhile. My hair is healthy, strong and getting long and I want it to stay that way.

Next time....

Awwww! Okay honey. I can wait:grin:.

morehairplease

I am going to have to try the tea rinsing b/c the powders have become a little too much for me. I just can never seem to get all of the grit out and it just seems like I am rinsing/manipulating my hair forever in the shower. I am going to search the thread for how to do make/do a tea rinse later this afternoon.

Last edited:

Aggie

For the past month or so I have been experimenting with a double tea rinse. The first one consists of Shikakai, Amla, and Kalpi tone, although sometimes I leave out the KT. I always use twice the amount of the other powders than I would the Shikakai.

I steep it in a small sauce pan with the herbs in a strainer. I let this sit for about 1/2 hour. Then I pour it in a gallon pitcher and fill it up with cool water. After I rinse with this over and over I let it sit on my hair for about 5 min. then rinse it out. During the 5 mins.

I quickly rinse out my strainer and pot, put on some fresh water for tea #2 and add Hibiscus, Fenugreek, Bhrami, and Bhringraj. If it's daytime I'll add the Horsetail and Nettle. If I'm adding Horsetail, I'll add double the amount.:lick: I don't boil the tea, once again I steep it, dilute it, and rinse it through my hair.

I DON'T RINSE THIS ONE OUT. I gently wring out the hair and apply AM and Suave Humectant. (this technique doesn't work as well for me when I apply a protein cond. after tea rinsing.) I save those for when I make the pastes.

I cover my hair with a plastic cap and let it marinate for about 2 hours with all these conditioning, moisturizing herbs and when I finally rinse....:gorgeous::love2: It's a silkiness that's undeniable. Plus it feels clean and strong. I have been doing this once a week in rotation with the poo bar, and cond. paste. .

Sorry I had to separate this into paragraphs so I can understand it better. All the letters just seem to come together when the paragraphs are too long for me. I might be getting on in years afterall, lol.

I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with this process. It seems like something that would work very well for me. I can't wait to try it myself.

I like how you did a strengthening tea rinse then followed it up with a moisturizing tea rinse. Simply GENIUS! Depending on well this works for me, this may be the way I will do my kalpi tone rinses as well.

I will probably oil prepoo the evening before and the following morning, do 5 minutes of the warm/hot water rinse, followed by the double tea rinse.

Thanks again girlie:yep:!

Ltown

Greyland
How did it turn out?

Flowin, it was great:grin: Now why have I've been idiot all this time doing paste making a mess out of t-shirts, dripping all love the place:wallbash: I assume it was stronger but it actually got me discourage on ayurveda because I got tired of the mixings.

Even after you gave me your technique:nono: I mean it has been great for me with my transition but I was ready to give up. NO way tea rinses is the bomb and I step up and have jug marked for cleaner and one marked for conditioner. I think it's good for 3 weeks but reading your responses I'm only making enough for two washes/conditions a week so it can be fresh.

flowinlocks

Sorry I had to separate this into paragraphs so I can understand it better. All the letters just seem to come together when the paragraphs are too long for me. I might be getting on in years afterall, lol.

I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with this process. It seems like something that would work very well for me. I can't wait to try it myself.

I like how you did a strengthening tea rinse then followed it up with a moisturizing tea rinse. Simply GENIUS! Depending on well this works for me, this may be the way I will do my kalpi tone rinses as well.

I will probably oil prepoo the evening before and the following morning, do 5 minutes of the warm/hot water rinse, followed by the double tea rinse.

Thanks again girlie:yep:!

Thanks Aggie, be sure to let me know how it turned out. I don't rinse out the oil before the tea. I want that barrier to protect my hair from the Shikakai. When I do this my hair is loaded with oil and Cantu Shea and it still comes out clean.

flowinlocks

Flowin, it was great:grin: Now why have I've been idiot all this time doing paste making a mess out of t-shirts, dripping all love the place:wallbash: I assume it was stronger but it actually got me discourage on ayurveda because I got tired of the mixings.

Even after you gave me your technique:nono: I mean it has been great for me with my transition but I was ready to give up. NO way tea rinses is the bomb and I step up and have jug marked for cleaner and one marked for conditioner. I think it's good for 3 weeks but reading your responses I'm only making enough for two washes/conditions a week so it can be fresh.

I'm glad you found something that worked so you didn't have to give it up.:yep:

Aggie

Thanks Aggie, be sure to let me know how it turned out. I don't rinse out the oil before the tea. I want that barrier to protect my hair from the Shikakai. When I do this my hair is loaded with oil and Cantu Shea and it still comes out clean.

Thanks hun. Cantu Shea huh? I think I have some of that I can use to prepoo with. I haven't been using it much, now I have great reason to:yep:.

Stella B.

Next time....

Good for you girlie! You followed your heart, and your hair spoke to you. Guess you really didn't need the salon today, after all. As long as you felt OK after you made the decision, then its alright. Next time you'll be ready.