6 Month Ayurveda Challenge

hurricane

Okay every other day I am doing a brahmi/amla tea rinse for growth. Massaging scalp with Brahmi oil, coating the hair with coconut oil and cantu shea butter leave-in. May cleanse with shikaki/amla/brahmi tea rinse once a month.

Stretching my relaxer so doing henna treatments every two weeks.

Can henna make your new growth seem like its not growing. I am 13 weeks post and it seems like I had more new growth when I was relaxing every 7 weeks?

simcha

Today I henna'd for two hours (40 minutes with heat, the rest without), rinsed it out and ran some Nature's Gate conditioner through it, indigo'd for 1/2 hour (20 minutes with heat), rinsed out and deep conditioned with Mixed Chicks for 20 minutes under the dryer. Then sealed my wet hair with Argan oil.

I've never tried not washing my hair with shampoo after my henna and I have to say - I love it!

I think it was someone on this board who had been told that you shouldn't shampoo after your henna and who ever posted that - Thank you!

cherepikr

I have cut back on my ayurvedic co-washes thanks to the cool weather, but I'm still using my ayur. spritz daily. I love my ayur. spritz.:lick:

Melissa-jane

So I hennaed mixed with Hibiscus and honey, unfortunately I mixed chopped hibiscus into my mix and it took forever to wash out. My new growth is slightly purple but the INdigo is not budgeing even though I only did it once, so I could not see any real results.

can you see purple roots?

MY hair was very conditioned and I did not use any normal conditioners afterwards. I only use Shikakai and tulsi now, they are my fav.

Last edited:

zenith

Still here, still ayurveda :)

Been oiling alot because of the sudden change in weather. Eased up on the pastes.

Aspire

OT sort of . . . . This weekend, I did babe sis's hair because she needed a touch-up and her hair looked somewhat rough. I gave her a henna/indigo/cassia mix gloss. She left it in for about 2-3 hours and rinsed it out when she got home. She then sealed with Vitika (which she grabbed from my hair stash about 6 months ago). She called me and told me her hair came out so soft and beautiful. She then told me how she wished she could do this more often because she could not believe how her hair came out.

Spreading knowledge . . . . Ayurveda is the truth.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Ayurveda is the truth.

Flowinlocks--I'm so in love with that double tea rinsing. I may do it 2x/wk instead of one :spinning:.

Ltown

Greyland
Has anyone infuse their ayurveda powders and made oil? I love the afroveda shikaki oil but just curious if it's doable?

flowinlocks

Has anyone infuse their ayurveda powders and made oil? I love the afroveda shikaki oil but just curious if it's doable?

I have several times, I have Parachute Coconut oil, Neem, Amla, & Shikakai. :nono: I don't use this one too often. It stinks because of the Neem. Even with eo mixed in.
I have Brahmi, Bhringraj, Horsetail & Nettle. with the same oil.
I recently infused EVOO with Bhringraj and Fenugreek. I have a tiny crock pot I use just for my oils. I usually add about 6 to 8 oz. of oil, depending on what size bottle I'm storing it in.
Then I add about a tlbs. of each powder and let it simmer about 4 hours.
After I turn it off I usually let it sit in the pot a day or 2, to further infuse. Then I can easily pour the oil off the top and the powder it settles at the bottom. I don't have to strain when I do this method. Although some people prefer to still strain it through a stocking. I'm sure using the tea bags would yield a good result also. HTH

Last edited:

ladytee2

I'm the same way when it comes to Shikakai if used in a paste. Even with other powders and cond. mixed in.:nono: I can only handle it on my hair for about 10 mins. Even when mixed with cond. it's still too gritty for my liking, and hard too rinse out. My hair hates Aritha in any form. Now as for Shikakai in the poo bar or as a tea!:love: I think I have finally mastered a way of using this herb to make my hair thrive. For the past month or so I have been experimenting with a double tea rinse. The first one consists of Shikakai, Amla, and Kalpi tone, although sometimes I leave out the KT. I always use twice the amount of the other powders than I would the Shikakai. I steep it in a small sauce pan with the herbs in a strainer. I let this sit for about 1/2 hour. Then I pour it in a gallon pitcher and fill it up with cool water. After I rinse with this over and over I let it sit on my hair for about 5 min. then rinse it out. During the 5 mins. I quickly rinse out my strainer and pot, put on some fresh water for tea #2 and add Hibiscus, Fenugreek, Bhrami, and Bhringraj. If it's daytime I'll add the Horsetail and Nettle. If I'm adding Horsetail, I'll add double the amount.:lick: I don't boil the tea, once again I steep it, dilute it, and rinse it through my hair. I DON'T RINSE THIS ONE OUT. I gently wring out the hair and apply AM and Suave Humectant. (this technique doesn't work as well for me when I apply a protein cond. after tea rinsing.) I save those for when I make the pastes. I cover my hair with a plastic cap and let it marinate for about 2 hours with all these conditioning, moisturizing herbs and when I finally rinse....:dance7::gorgeous::love2: It's a silkiness that's undeniable. Plus it feels clean and strong. I have been doing this once a week in rotation with the poo bar, and cond. paste. Imoan, make sure you have enough oil in your hair also. When I do the tea rinses my hair is coated in oil from a few days prior, plus I prepoo with more oil that day. Believe me the Shikakai will pull it off your hair , but if I don't go heavy enough on the oils. :blush: Lol be careful because Shikakai and Aritha, especially Aritha will strip your hair down to the cortex.:lachen:Have fun but be careful with these two.

ETA: The silkiness I get from this lasts even when the hair dries, even before I apply any product or oil.

Flowinlocks what is AM and are you saying you do a paste instead of tea when you do a protein conditioner? And do you do a moisturizing conditioner after the paste and protein? TIA

Ltown

Greyland
I have several times, I have Parachute Coconut oil, Neem, Amla, & Shikakai. :nono: I don't use this one too often. It stinks because of the Neem. Even with eo mixed in.
I have Brahmi, Bhringraj, Horsetail & Nettle. with the same oil.
I recently infused EVOO with Bhringraj and Fenugreek. I have a tiny crock pot I use just for my oils. I usually add about 6 to 8 oz. of oil, depending on what size bottle I'm storing it in.
Then I add about a tlbs. of each powder and let it simmer about 4 hours.
After I turn it off I usually let it sit in the pot a day or 2, to further infuse. Then I can easily pour the oil off the top and the powder it settled at the bottom. I don't have to strain when I do this method. Although some people prefer to still strain it through a stocking. I'm sure using the tea bagS would yield a good result also. HTH

FlowinLock, you are the best always sharing, giving and helping out a sister! I'm going to this infusion out! Thank you

flowinlocks

Flowinlocks what is AM and are you saying you do a paste instead of tea when you do a protein conditioner? And do you do a moisturizing conditioner after the paste and protein? TIA

AM= Aussie Moist

Yeah I actually do paste with the moisturizing herbs, and a protein cond. like Silicone mix, ORS, or Motions CPR. I don't need to do a seperate moisturizing cond. after this treatment. The only time I do that is when I use hard protein like Aphogee or Mega Tex and I add the herbs to the second cond. only.

poookie

i know there are a bunch of mixes mixed up within this thread, but it's getting really long :drunk:

can you all share your ayurvedic spritz recpies?

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I'm thinking of doing an amla tea rinse weekly to get the waves popping. I think I will start it in November so I can track it. Shoot I need to get some amla first because I have a premix with amla in it but no amla by itself.

Kellum

i know there are a bunch of mixes mixed up within this thread, but it's getting really long :drunk:

can you all share your ayurvedic spritz recpies?

I've tweaked my tea spritizes and have been making them like this. Its working great.

• 1/2 tsp Amla
  • 1/2 tsp Hibiscus
  • 1/2 tsp Fenugreek
  • 1/2 tsp Brahmi
  • 2 cups very hot water
  • 1 clean knee high stocking :yep: (works like a charm if you don't have tea bags)
  • 3 ml: Silk Amino Acid
  • 3 ml Hydrolyzed Wheat
  • 3 ml Hydrolyzed Oats
  • 3 ml Honeyquat (not using now since the humidity is down)
  • Spray bottle

Stretch the knee high over a opening of a cup, and add the powders to it. Tie the knee high in a knot.

Pour the water in a tall cup, and then drop the knee high in the cup. Take a fork, spoon, or knife and weigh down the knee high.

Let it sit in the hot water for an hour. Periodically dip the knee high in and out of the water, and then weigh it down again.

Take the knee high and squeeze it between your fingers to break up the clumps.

Reheat the tea in the microwave for a minute with the knee high in it. Dip it in and out of the tea and let sit for another 15 to 20 mins.

Pour tea into a spray bottle, and add the SAA, hydrolyzed oats and hydrolyzed wheat.

Shake well before using. That's it.

I spray my braids and scalp daily and seal my ends with my shea butter mix. That's it.

My hair always feels very soft, and moist when I take down my braids weekly to wash.

Last edited:

Platinum

I fell off of this challenge big time because I was wearing Senegalese Twists. I'm going to start back on my Ayurvedic co-washes again.

Ozma

I henna'ed today with my paprika/beet juice/amla/brahmi/shikakai mix, followed by a DC with Vatika oil added.

Aggie

Took my extension braids down last night and will be hennaing my hair later today or tomorrow morning.

I will be trying Hesh Mehandi Henna Powder today with some hibiscus, amla and brahmi powder mixed in to see if I'll like this one. I don't want a henna gloss today so I won't be adding any conditioner to it this time.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I finally remembered to order some Amla powder today. I actually ordered from Amazon because I had some others things I wanted to order so I got free shipping. Besides Amazon's shipping is always super fast. Hopefully I will be good to start my amla tea rinses beginning next week. I will be doing the double tea rinsing tonight.