Okay, maybe yall were right, Silk elements does increase shedding

gymfreak336

I have self relaxed with silk elements twice now. I properly neutralize and I have no burning but I have increases shedding. I notice more and more long hairs in my comb and in my tub after washing no matter what conditioner I use. I think I am going to have to go back to another relaxer. I do love the way my hair feels after I use it and I do love how it doesn't have a strong smell but I can't figure out another reason for my increased shedding. I am going to have to relax in another 3 weeks because between boundless tresses and underprocessing, my hair is really taking a beating in detangling and such. I guess I gotta go get something else. :ohwell:

CAPlush

gymfreak336 said:
I have self relaxed with silk elements twice now. I properly neutralize and I have no burning but I have increases shedding. I notice more and more long hairs in my comb and in my tub after washing no matter what conditioner I use. I think I am going to have to go back to another relaxer. I do love the way my hair feels after I use it and I do love how it doesn't have a strong smell but I can't figure out another reason for my increased shedding. I am going to have to relax in another 3 weeks because between boundless tresses and underprocessing, my hair is really taking a beating in detangling and such. I guess I gotta go get something else. :ohwell:

Wow, I didn't know this. I relaxed last week (but I haven't been visiting the board as much) and I was so torn over whether to go with ORS or SE. I chose ORS, simply because it seemed like SE had too many ingredients. I had a good experience, I'm going to go so far as to recommend that you try ORS Lye if you can get your hands on some. SE may have been the reason you were having a hard time stretching. Good luck hon, I think your corrective relaxer will go great but maybe you should switch from SE if you think it is causing your problems.

CAPlush said:
Wow, I didn't know this. I relaxed last week (but I haven't been visiting the board as much) and I was so torn over whether to go with ORS or SE. I chose ORS, simply because it seemed like SE had too many ingredients. I had a good experience, I'm going to go so far as to recommend that you try ORS Lye if you can get your hands on some. SE may have been the reason you were having a hard time stretching. Good luck hon, I think your corrective relaxer will go great but maybe you should switch from SE if you think it is causing your problems.

I am relaxing this weekend did you buy the ORS at Sally's? I think my hair may be to course for even the SE Coarse :perplexed. It took a corrective to get it where I am now. I want to avoid that experience again.

CAPlush

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
I am relaxing this weekend did you buy the ORS at Sally's? I think my hair may be to course for even the SE Coarse :perplexed. It took a corrective to get it where I am now. I want to avoid that experience again.

No, I got it from an Asian BSS. The Sally's by me only had the No-lye kit, but I hear the No-lye kit is good too.

ashmack

Oh I am so Anti- Silk Elements!! In fact, I hate silk elements. It broke hair hair off horribly last year around my hair line. I have plenty of friends who love it and swear by it, but I would not put that relaxer on my dog! My hair is still recovering from it and it did not even seem like it took all that well. :mad:

CAPlush

sunbasque said:
IS the ORS lye new? Ive never seen or heard of it

I think the lye version might be new. I started seeing it in the BSS a couple of months ago. They have it on a display that says ORS Professionals with the Olive Oil Replenishing conditioner (big bottle), a neutralizing poo, and some sort of blow dry lotion. They have 2 strengths, normal and extra strength. I have only seen it in 1 BSS in my area though, so not everyone has caught on yet. It is a very simple formula, just some fillers and emollients, sodium hydroxide, and olive oil. That's it.

gymfreak336

CAPlush- Thanks for your suggestions girl. I am going to look into trying the ors relaxer. I think that this was contributing to my stretching problem too. I am going to do a "corrective" in 3 weeks so that I can atleast make it to 6 weeks. I have a cousin who is a stylist in savannah so I called her up and asked her a ton of questions. She said that whenever she has to deal with underprocessing, she will only do it after 6 weeks. She also told me to use porosity control the wash before I relax since the cuticle differences between my straighter hair and the underprocessed hair is so different. She also told me to use a moisturizing conditioner the first was after, heavy duty protien two weeks after and then only co wash for 2 weeks to get my moisture levels back up. I am going to give her advice a go.

I hope you other users won't develop this problem. Happy Hair vibes your way:)

gymfreak336

ashmack said:
Oh I am so Anti- Silk Elements!! In fact, I hate silk elements. It broke hair hair off horribly last year around my hair line. I have plenty of friends who love it and swear by it, but I would not put that relaxer on my dog! My hair is still recovering from it and it did not even seem like it took all that well. :mad:

I am going to have to join your anti-silk elements bandwagon. I guess me and that relaxer just DO NOT get along. I am going to miss the silkyness it gave me though:mad:

secretdiamond

gymfreak336 said:
I am going to have to join your anti-silk elements bandwagon. I guess me and that relaxer just DO NOT get along. I am going to miss the silkyness it gave me though:mad:

Just want to be sure. In your other thread you said that it was the Boundless Tresses, but here you say it's the SE relaxer. Have you figured out which one could be causing the increased shedding?

I'd like to know since I recommend SE to my family and may be buying BT in the near future for them. Thanks.

Nella

Now you all have me wondering is that why my hair is shedding so much. I mean it is only when I come it that it seems like I'm shedding tons of hair. I was washing my hair and I noticed in the shower the other day that I had lots of long strands in the water. Do you really it is the relaxer?

I only used it SE once on December 31st. This relaxer was placed in my hair. I had reason to think that maybe I was shedding due to it having been almost 12 weeks since a relaxer was done.

gymfreak336

secretdiamond said:
Just want to be sure. In your other thread you said that it was the Boundless Tresses, but here you say it's the SE relaxer. Have you figured out which one could be causing the increased shedding?

I'd like to know since I recommend SE to my family and may be buying BT in the near future for them. Thanks.

I think that it might just be the relaxer. The reason I think that is that my shedding has increased since I relaxed. The relaxer I had before this one was design essentials. I didn't use my BT for nearly a week after I relaxed. When I did relax I neutralized and let the shampoo sit on my hair for 5mins twice. I followed with neutralizing conditioner and rinsed again, and then used an acidifying conditioner for 10 mins. I have used silk elements twice now. I used it in sept. and the last time. Both relaxers in betweeen were design essentials. The difference between my shedding with the design essentials and silk elements now especially since I have used both twice is alot different. I really didn't put two and two together until now. With the BT, I only get a little more shed hairs for the first day or two after I applied it.

Overall, I do think that silk elements isn't a bad choice. I used it again because my hair feels like silk after I use it. Very smooth and soft, plus it doesn't stink at all. It is also very affordable. I also get minimal to no burning with it despite the strength. I still love my BT because I have a itchy scalp and the sulfur in it totally calms it down and the scented one smells fab. It also helps soften my newgrowth and helps keep my hair easier to manage when I get alot of new growth especially when it has "marinated" for a couple of days. Even if I don't get a huge growth jump, I will keep some on hand to keep my scalp itch free.

gymfreak336

Nella said:
Now you all have me wondering is that why my hair is shedding so much. I mean it is only when I come it that it seems like I'm shedding tons of hair. I was washing my hair and I noticed in the shower the other day that I had lots of long strands in the water. Do you really it is the relaxer?

I only used it SE once on December 31st. This relaxer was placed in my hair. I had reason to think that maybe I was shedding due to it having been almost 12 weeks since a relaxer was done.

It could very well just be the amount of time you waited. The reason I think it might be the relaxer, at least for me is that I have used it twice. I used it in sept. and just now. Both relaxers in between were design essentials and I didn't get the same amount of shedding after those. I have never had any adverse reactions to a relaxer. I really like the silk elements. No other relaxers makes my hair feel as soft and smooth but the shedding thing has me worried. I just can't figure how it doesn't burn me, makes my hair feel great but increases my shedding. :ohwell:

Yea Silk Elements is the reason I decided to go natural. After using it I noticed ALOT of shedding during rinse out. I never had this problem, even when I used Motions Lye I had very little shedding. So I just decided to go natural all together. I used the Mild formula at that! I'm glad it works well for others though.

dcprdiva

gymfreak336 said:
CAPlush- Thanks for your suggestions girl. I am going to look into trying the ors relaxer. I think that this was contributing to my stretching problem too. I am going to do a "corrective" in 3 weeks so that I can atleast make it to 6 weeks. I have a cousin who is a stylist in savannah so I called her up and asked her a ton of questions. She said that whenever she has to deal with underprocessing, she will only do it after 6 weeks. She also told me to use porosity control the wash before I relax since the cuticle differences between my straighter hair and the underprocessed hair is so different. She also told me to use a moisturizing conditioner the first was after, heavy duty protien two weeks after and then only co wash for 2 weeks to get my moisture levels back up. I am going to give her advice a go.

I hope you other users won't develop this problem. Happy Hair vibes your way:)

did your cousin say what kind of porosity control? what brand? or do you know of any? I think Mizani has one but i had no idea what it was for...

jasmin

Porosity Control definitely work before and during the relaxer process and I did notice a lot of shedding with Silk Elements but I thought it was just me.

Porosity was a once in a while thing but now it is a definite staple.

gymfreak336

dcprdiva said:
did your cousin say what kind of porosity control? what brand? or do you know of any? I think Mizani has one but i had no idea what it was for...

Its by roux, you can find it at sallys. Just ask for porosity control and the sale associate will know exactly what you are talking about

africa

I was thinking of trying silk elements, did a search, and saw this thread :look:.

Has anyone else experienced problems using silk elements?

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
OMG! This could explain why I have had inexplicable shedding recently. I was near out of Mizani so I used some Silk Elements & wow I have had shedding galore. It wasn't on too long nor did it burn--just hair shedding. I have been protective styling with french braids.

sareca

I was thinking of trying silk elements, did a search, and saw this thread :look:.

Has anyone else experienced problems using silk elements?

OCT made me shed more. When I stopped using it the shedding stopped.
I haven't noticed any increased shedding with SE.

Katt73

That's weird...I have little shedding with Silk Elements, but I used ORS Lye about three weeks ago and I've been shedding like mad ever since. Not to mention the fact that I started burning after only five minutes. I underprocessed because I had to get that fire out of my head! So...I'm voting for Silk Elements. Booo to ORS Lye!

africa

That's weird...I have little shedding with Silk Elements, but I used ORS Lye about three weeks ago and I've been shedding like mad ever since. Not to mention the fact that I started burning after only five minutes. I underprocessed because I had to get that fire out of my head! So...I'm voting for Silk Elements. Booo to ORS Lye!

Burning after 5 minutes?!:nono: That would make me switch over too...

CoffeeBean

Every since I stopped using SE, I noticed no shedding. I couldn't figure out what it was. My ends would also be frizzy. I now use Affirm and I am in love, no complaints. Will not be revisiting SE at all. :flush: