"z"-pattern?

Hello. I am currently transitioning for the second time. Now that I have much more new growth than the first time I have noticed that my hair actually does not curl but has a small "z"-pattern. I feel like my texture doesn't fit anywhere in the 3c or 4a category like I thought. I don't know what type it is. I'm starting to get frustrated again since I am having trouble figuring out what my hair will look like 100% natural and how to style it. Is there anyone with this hair type that has any suggestions for me during the transition? TIA

Last edited:

peony

I'm a newbie (so take my words with a grain of salt) but having spent many years natural, and a fair number relaxed, I don't think you can really tell what your texture will be like from your new growth. It takes a while after cutting out a relaxer for your texture to get settled, and your ends might actually curl when they're all natural. I have a texturizer now and my new growth looks like a very tight s, but when I was natural for like 18 years, and my hair tended to be around shoulder length, it was definitely looser and more cottony.

PinkSkates

Hello. I am currently transistioning for the second time(first time only lasted six months). Now that I have much more new growth than the first time I have noticed that my hair actually does not curl but has a small "z"-pattern. I feel like my texture doesn't fit anywhere in the 3c or 4a category like I thought. I don't know what type it is. I'm starting to get frustrated again since I am having trouble figuring out what my hair will look like 100% natural and how to style it. I there anyone with this hair type that has any suggestions for me during the transition? TIA

A part of transitioning requires patience. You may not be able to "figure out" what your hair type will be like just yet. During my transition I educated myself on natural hair care and what my styling options would be. During the transition I mostly did curly styles so to disguise having two different hair textures.

Nonie

Hello. I am currently transistioning for the second time(first time only lasted six months). Now that I have much more new growth than the first time I have noticed that my hair actually does not curl but has a small "z"-pattern. I feel like my texture doesn't fit anywhere in the 3c or 4a category like I thought. I don't know what type it is. I'm starting to get frustrated again since I am having trouble figuring out what my hair will look like 100% natural and how to style it. I there anyone with this hair type that has any suggestions for me during the transition? TIA

How long is your natural hair? As someone stated you may not be able to tell your hair texture right away, or with relaxed hair still attached. Do you have a photo of your hair. How do you style it?

The best way for people to help you type your hair is to show a photo of about 3 inches or 4 of new growth. But as others have found out, sometimes after you transition, you may have to deal with "scab" hair before you actually get to "meet" your real texture.

NerdSauce

Everything that the previous posters have said is true, but my little sister (who has always been natural) noticed that she had z-shaped strands when she cut off her locks. Her hair is about 4 to 5 inches long now and full of the most amazing TIGHT incredibly defined TEENY TINY coils. They're really, really small, and it doesn't take anything to make em pop (you don't have to be 3c to have curl popping wash 'n go hair lol) but she said she noticed that she has the zig zag shaped strands..and just like yours, she says they don't coil.. I believe according to Andre Walker business this is what he was originally referring to when he defined 4b. Possibly. As you'll find out his hair typing system isn't always that accurate, or that useful.

But like previous posters have said, you'd probably have to give it more time and/or wait till you've done the chop to truly know how your hair will want to behave.

locabouthair

Everything that the previous posters have said is true, but my little sister (who has always been natural) noticed that she had z-shaped strands when she cut off her locks. Her hair is about 4 to 5 inches long now and full of the most amazing TIGHT incredibly defined TEENY TINY coils. They're really, really small, and it doesn't take anything to make em pop (you don't have to be 3c to have curl popping wash 'n go hair lol) but she said she noticed that she has the zig zag shaped strands..and just like yours, she says they don't coil.. I believe according to Andre Walker business this is what he was originally referring to when he defined 4b. Possibly. As you'll find out his hair typing system isn't always that accurate, or that useful.

But like previous posters have said, you'd probably have to give it more time and/or wait till you've done the chop to truly know how your hair will want to behave.

I agree. I have the z pattern and I call myself 4z lol but my hair would be classified as 4b.

But like the others have said give it some time.

Jhuidah

Ar010, I think you should take one step at a time. Right now, concentrate on taking care of both textures to avoid breakage. Then, a little later on when you have more length, you can see if you can figure out your hair type. But honestly, I don't really believe that hair type makes a big difference in healthy hair practices.

RedPanda, my your sister's hair sounds just like mine. I have sections of tiny coils that need no manipulation to show themselves, and sections with the S/Z patterned hair as well. I was calling myself 4a/b (with a little 3c at the back of my head), but I know some people who have that same kind of hair say they are 4b. So I have no idea what I am, basically. :lol: