Your Hair's Response to the Elements

preciouslove0x

How does your hair respond to the winter weather?? Does it respond differently in the spring/summer?? What do you do differently in the winter to combat the difference (if any)?

I ask because I just started to track my hair's growth(rate) this fall and found that my hair only grows 1/4 an inch a month :ohwell: so I'm hoping that it might be only be because of the very cold weather (keeping my fingers crossed).

So how does your hair respond?

Ronnieaj

Well, I first found out that this is my hair's shedding time of the year. Great. So I add garlic oil to my conditioners to try and help keep it to normal shedding, and not excessive. My hair already soaks up everything I put on it, so I use heavier oils--like castor oil versus coconut, which I might use in the summer. I wash 2x/week in the summer, but only once in the winter because I don't like having my hair wet in the winter. That means I DC under a steamer for 35-40 minutes instead of just 20 in the summer. In summer I alternate moisture and protein weekly, now I do 2 moisture weeks followed by 1 protein week, so more moisture on my DC. My hair is also growing, so I have to be diligent about keeping it off of the scarves, coats, etc. that can rub against the hair. I think that's it. HTH!

MarieB

Well, I know that I shed more in the colder months, but I also shed more when I try to avoid washing my hair. Since this is my first winter with the BKT (which I will be touching up this week, I think), I think that I will co-wash more often and moisturize a touch more (I've had a few splits lately, but I tend to wear my hair down, and it's been cold and windy here, plus, my ends are relaxed), and try to DC every week like I was doing this summer. So I guess, a little extra on what I normally do. Did that answer the question, or am I rambling?

Odd One

My hair is weird..i believe that it grows more in winter and it more moisturized

I wear hats in winter.. which help when I wet bun.... In the summer time the sun dries my hair out something crazy!

Even with the seasonal shedding, I get good progress in winter

RosesBlack

Winter weather does a number on my hair and scalp. In the winter I need heavy moisture because my hair gets drier with the heat on. Also any weather changes tend to make my scalp itchy so I oil it in the Winter which I don't really do in the summer. And I change the oils I use in the winter to avoid coconut oil hardening in my hair and/or melting when I go inside. Also my hair tends to be extra fluffy during the Winter/Spring due to all the moisture in the air. I noticed I wear head wraps far more often in winter.

CaliDiamond

In California, right now its kinda cold and my hair is hating it. I had the same problem with the coconut oil RosesBlack, but I have added shea butter or castor oil to my vatika oil to help it stay viscous. I STAY in hats and half-wigs because I think my scalp truly hates the cold.:sad:
I also use heavier/creamier leave-ins and conditioners.

lux10023

nyc winter is no joke--me personally i am in 99% protective styling in the winter---the wind chill alone here is no joke--plus i hate my hair rubbing against the back of my coat-

i wear alotta hats in the winter--im luv hats--so i have the satin/silk lined and rock them

my hair is usually super hydrated with infusium 2, vo5 cond, vitamin e oil and a splash of glycerin--my staples

adw425

In the winter my hair laughs at me when I try to seal with an oil, so I have to mix one part oils (camellia, almond, coconut, olive) with three parts shea butter for something thicker with which to seal after co-washing. In the summer, the butter is too heavy, so I seal with oils.

chrstndiva

It gets really cold here in the midwest. Right now, the wind chill factor has it in single digits. I protective style 90% of the time to protect it from the cold and the dry heat when I am inside and from rubbing against coats and sweaters.

I up the moisture (daily am and pm) and DC. My scalp gets dry in winter so I oil my scalp with my own mix (Jojoba, rosemary, lavender, cedarwood ) and I also use heavier oils and butters for my sealants.