Yogurt for Straightening/Loosing curl pattern in 4b naturals...

carameldelight87

So I did the yogurt treatment! I was already applying it before I found this thread but this helped. Here's what I used:

2 eggs
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp olive oil
Plain Nonfat Yogurt (roughly 1/2-1 cup)
1/4 conditioner

I actually still have about half of this left. I simply applied it in sections and twisted each section. Then I covered it with a plastic cap and out of laziness I left it on for 24hrs...I just didn't feel like washing my hair. :ohwell:

My results: My curls are DEFINITELY looser (is that the word...idk)!!! My twists hang lower than they normally do. While I do love my natural curl definition, I love the bigger hair that the yogurt gave me!

I will let u know how long the loose curls last. I figure by the next wash they'll be tight again, which is fine.

This pic shows my typical twist length and what they were after the yogurt treatment.

morehairplease

So I did the yogurt treatment! I was already applying it before I found this thread but this helped. Here's what I used:

2 eggs
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp olive oil
Plain Nonfat Yogurt (roughly 1/2-1 cup)
1/4 conditioner

I actually still have about half of this left. I simply applied it in sections and twisted each section. Then I covered it with a plastic cap and out of laziness I left it on for 24hrs...I just didn't feel like washing my hair. :ohwell:

My results: My curls are DEFINITELY looser (is that the word...idk)!!! My twists hang lower than they normally do. While I do love my natural curl definition, I love the bigger hair that the yogurt gave me!

I will let u know how long the loose curls last. I figure by the next wash they'll be tight again, which is fine.

This pic shows my typical twist length and what they were after the yogurt treatment.
your hair is very beautiful, btw!:yep:

robot.

is this with plain yogurt or can I use any kind? I never buy plain bc it tastes funny

Plain yogurt. :yep: You don't want the flavored ones because of all the extra additives. And make sure to get full fat. I know a lot of ladies prefer Greek (I think the fat content is higher, but don't quote me on that). HTH!

knt1229

I tried this on my type 4 hair. I mixed Plain Whole Milk Yogurt, HE Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner, and Coconut Oil. I applied to my new growth and put a plastic cap on my head for 1 hour then rinsed it out.

My hair was soft like it normally is after I deep condition. But it didn't have the silky smooth feel to it. The biggest difference though was that my new growth was much more wavy and very poofy.

FYI..I am 33 weeks post.

Last edited:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
I think I'm going to try this on my 2 yr old today. I did a coconut and lime treatment on her once and it made detangling much easier. If I do it I'll take pics.

knt1229

:bump: Anyone still using this?
I do. I use yogurt as the base for all of my homemade deep conditioners.

For a protein deep conditioner I mix yogurt, an egg, coconut oil, castor oil, and EVOO.

For moisture deep conditioner I mix yogurt, coconut oil, castor oil and coconut cream concetrate which is 100% pure coconut.

OR

For a clarifying/moisturizing deep conditioner I mix yogurt, baking soda, aloe vera gel, coconut and castor oil. Sometimes I leave out the baking soda and just have a moisturizing DC.

Lucia

I used the plain yogurt a couple of times, it really didn't do much more than coconut cream and the coconut cream much more moisturizing than the yogurt IMO. I still use coconut cream as a staple for DC'ing more for moisture than losening curl pattern, which it doesn't do that much really, it does give more curl definition cause the curls are moist.

ladytee2

I use the coconut milk and lime treatment. I also used yogurt and lime. I notice a difference in my hair the longer I left it in. My hair had less frizz and was smoother. There was definitely a difference between leaving it on for an hour and over night. I also feel it was a difference letting the lime sit for a while before you use it.

mscocoface

I use it as a conditioner with oils mixed with it. Helps me with detangling.

I use pure coconut cream also. That gives me some slip and also helps with detangling.

I have never seen any change in my coils with regards to making them loose.

I also mix these with my ayurvedic powders or teas sometimes. When time permits.

As for a protein it is easier on my hair than using the 2 minute aphogee product or something else.

Lebiya

Are a 4b? I'm beginning to believe that this method only works on those that have type 1,2, or 3 type hair, hair that has a mixture of 3 with 4, but not soley type 4.

Either this or I haven’t or I haven’t heard too many testimonies from 4b naturals about these methods ( caramelized treatment, natural coconut treatment etc). I want to take the plunge and try one but I’d just like to see more testimonies!!

Any others???

lwilliams1922

this worked for dd who is 4a. Didn't do much for my 4b. We are both in braids now but I think we'll go back to it in the summer.

catgurl

I tried this last night even though I didn't really have time for a DC. I mixed 2 tbsp of Greek Yogurt with a tsp of wheat germ oil into my cheapie co-wash condish and left on for 5 mins.

Even with such a short time my 4a s-curls were popping! Can't wait try this again when I can leave it for longer.

belldandy

Interesting...I tried something similar 2 weeks ago with coconut milk and lime juice and got good results; NG is less "poofy" comb glides through. Two washes later the curl pattern is still loose.

I think the link between the lime juice and the yogurt is the acidity...I wonder what is it about acidity that seems to loosen curl....

My only guess is that it weakens the disulfide bonds in the hair, lessening the curl...OR it is interfering with the hydrogen bonds between keratin molecules... :bookworm:

CoutureMe06

I definitely will try this and the caramel treatment too. I want my hair to hang so I don't look so bald. lol. Plus it will help with length twist outs I plan to do for MDW. I don't want to blow out my hair.

Sapphire_chic

I tried this using natural yougurt 2%fat overnight on friday. In the morning after rinsing it out, my hair was noticable looser and easier to detangle by far.

When ever I've done overnight DCs in the past, my hair would absorb all the water and shrink up as far as humanly possible then be very hard to detangle (which is why I was going to stop doing them) with the yoghurt however it was hanging much lower didn't shrink very much, Even after I rinsed it out.

My hair felt softer and did I mention easier to detangle (using another conditioner) I am 4a/b but I think mainly b. oh but I don't know how long it will last...nothing usually lasts very long on my hair lol

CoutureMe06

So I will be using:

Molasses
Honey
EVOO
Coconut Oil
Whole Milk Yogurt
Maybe add some Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner to the mix.

I will leave this one for an hour and report back.

CoutureMe06

NOTHING! It made my hair soft and the curls pop a bit more but it did not elongate my hair. Off to try the coconut natural creme relaxer!