Yogurt for Straightening/Loosing curl pattern in 4b naturals...

Try greek yogurt it is extremely thick and full fat, I have never tried the treatment but I will try it today with greek yogurt. If you live in a city with trader joe's or whole foods, you can definitely find it there.

Peace and happiness,

Thanks Lani, I'll do that. I saw some Greek yogurt awhile back I think it's called Facco?? It was low fat though, I'll keep an eye out for the full fat.

I added a couple level tablespoons of yogurt to my conditioner three times three weeks ago and noticed that next Sunday how loose my curl pattern was. I did it three times that first week because I just liked the way my hair felt after the conditioning treatment. I was not looking at all to loosen or relax my curl pattern and was very surprised that this happened, so I started researching this and it is likely the lactic acid action.

My mix also had honey, molasses, whey protein, a tiny bit of coconut oil and coconut milk and my powdered herb mix of strengthening/softening/ moisturizing herbs. My base conditioner was SalonCare honey and almond. I did it three times last week with a splash of buttermilk added (as an experiment) and my curl pattern has loosened about 75-80%. My hair has barely tangled in three weeks and it feels very smooth and retains moisture better. I haven't gotten anymore of those nasty knots on the ends either.

I did not use the yogurt or buttermilk at all this past week and I have wet my hair every night this week either co-washed, shampooed or rinsed and the curl pattern is still the same -- loosened. The "s" shape of the strands are elongated and when I pull my hair back into a bun, my wave pattern is nearly non-existent. I believe it is the lactic acid in the yogurt/buttermilk.

I bought some plain yogurt MONTHS ago (early 07) but never used it. If the product expired, can I still use it? :perplexed

I'm going to try this over the weekend. Also, I have a big canister of protein shake powder mix. Has anyone tried that in their mixtures? I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Taino: I did use expired buttermilk, but it was like three weeks expired...You said you bought your yogurt in early 07, so I would just toss that.

Jaedst: I use whey protein powder in my yogurt mix every other week. Sometimes I want it balanced, sometimes more strengthening and sometimes more moisturizing depending on the week, but I do use yogurt every week now.

I love yogurt--it really does help with my tangles because it does loosen my curl pattern a little bit.

I use full fat Greek yogurt found at Trader Joes--a small $1.99 container can last over a month.

I mix yogurt, olive oil, castor oil, honey, and conditioners (usually Aubrey Organics or MasterCuts Vitamin C). I'm going to add a little molasses next time. I usually apply it in sections (like a relaxer) and leave it on with saran wrap for at least an hour.

It is hard to find, I found mine at my local health foodstore, I got my yogurt from a place called Earth Fare (Its just like Whole Foods). I went to Wally world and everything was lowfat or nonfat. So I stopped by Earth Fare and there it was.

Really, I got mine at Wal-mart - it was regular Dannon plain yogurt. It was $2 for a large tub of it. I'll be honest, though. It was the only one that I saw. Everything else was either low fat or non fat.

I use just regular Dannon, too, from Krogers, but I think the Greek yogurt would be great if only for the extra thickness. I will stop at Trader Joe's tonight or Whole Foods, both are close to my house...

I have this mix on my hair as we speak. I used buttermilk, yogurt,honey, molasses, coconut milk, and lime jucie. The last time i did this i just used coconut milk and lime juice and it loosened considerably but then i slapped a different conditioner on and left it on for 45 minutes. Then i went and got my hair shampooed and it was back to it's origanl state right after she shampooed. I wondered what happened!

Well, I had the Greek yogurt in my hands and then went back and got the goat milk yogurt and did not look at the price. When I got to the register, it rang up $6.99 - yikes!!! Anyway, goat milk is supposed to make ones hair uber-soft, so I will report back on whether or not using the goat milk yogurt gives me even softer, silkier hair.

I use yogurt with my henna and it losens the curl pattern but I thought it was the henna.
Wow, Tootuff, your siggy pick is giving me hope!! I have a TWA just a little longer than your starting pick and to see just a year and some months later you have such long hair, that's amazing growth!

This yummy and may be right up my alley when stretching my relaxers

Question:
Is anyone doing this with heat and if so how long are u sitting under the dryer with it?

Are the effects still the same using heat at a lesser time verses no heat for an hour?

I finally found Greek yogurt at the GROCERY store. It's expensive but hey it's probably cheaper than the healthy food shop! It's called Fage pronounce (Fa-Yeh), it's really rich too.

I bought some yougurt (greek) today and put it in my 4b hair.
Mixed it with some coconut milk and used it pre- cowash.
my hair felt instantly softer. Its braided for the moment and i'll see how it looks tomorrow when i style it.

i plan to do it 3 times a week and see how it goes

I tried this tonight, and the results were ummmmm... :wallbash:

I shampoo'd first..Then, I left the Dannon Plain yogurt in my hair for 1 hour (with a plastic cap), I washed it out with cold water only to find all of the yogurt still in my hair (looked like a snow blizzard hit my hair). What did I do wrong (as far as rinsing goes)? I had to wash my like 5 times to get it out, and some is still left on my scalp. :nono:

Does it make a difference to rinse with cold or warm/hot water?

Also, has anyone tried both methods with and without heat (under a dryer)? If so, what were your results? And, the comparison between the two.

I have always done it after washing my hair and a time or two as a co-wash, but I wet my hair first. I have never applied to dry hair.

I shampoo'd first..Then, I left the Dannon Plain yogurt in my hair for 1 hour (with a plastic cap), I washed it out with cold water only to find all of the yogurt still in my hair (looked like a snow blizzard hit my hair). What did I do wrong (as far as rinsing goes)? I had to wash my like 5 times to get it out, and some is still left on my scalp. :nono:

Also, has anyone tried both methods with and without heat (under a dryer)? If so, what were your results? And, the comparison between the two.

I believe that rinsing with the cold water "set it" in your hair and made it difficult to rinse the stuff out after that and then having to wash it so many times thereafter just made things worse in terms of maybe stripping your hair. Did you do a deep conditioning treatment after that? Your hair probably also needed its ph restored.

I only rinse my hair in cold water to seal the cuticles and that is usually after I have applied either my liquid leave-in (Ojon revitalzing mist) or my creamy leave-in (like Sheamoisture shea butter leave-in), butter or, now, lotion or done an apple cider vinegar rinse.

I have done it with heat once and my hair turned out the same as when I did not use heat. However, I always mix my yogurt with conditioner and most of the time I also mix in some powdered herbs and/or whey protein not to mention honey, coconut milk, aloe vera or whatever else strikes my fancy. I do not use the yogurt by itself. However, prior to adding yogurt, I would still mix all those things together for a deep conditioner, but the yogurt just took it to another level.

Last edited:
I believe that rinsing with the cold water "set it" in your hair and made it difficult to rinse the stuff out after that and then having to wash it so many times thereafter just made things worse in terms of maybe stripping your hair. Did you do a deep conditioning treatment after that? Your hair probably also needed its ph restored.

I only rinse my hair in cold water to seal the cuticles and that is usually after I have applied either my liquid leave-in (Ojon revitalzing mist) or my creamy leave-in (like Sheamoisture shea butter leave-in), butter or, now, lotion or done an apple cider vinegar rinse.

I have done it with heat once and my hair turned out the same as when I did not use heat. However, I always mix my yogurt with conditioner and most of the time I also mix in some powdered herbs and/or whey protein not to mention honey, coconut milk, aloe vera or whatever else strikes my fancy. I do not use the yogurt by itself. However, prior to adding yogurt, I would still mix all those things together for a deep conditioner, but the yogurt just took it to another level.

Ditto to this response. I only use a heaping tablespoon of yogurt as a part of my deep conditioner--I use other ingredients, including a commerical conditioner. Also, I wouldn't imagine rinsing out my deep treatment in cold or cool water--I use lukewarm to warm water, otherwise all the product won't rinse properly.

Ok, here's a recap of what I did....Clarified, shampoo'd again with creme of nature, yogurt+conditioner+a little lime juice, let it sit for an hour (w/plastic cap), then rinsed it out w/cold water...I didn't deep conditioner after that. What should I have done next? So, I should have washed the yogurt out with warm water instead of cold?

I had to rinse that mess out my like a zillion times and my hair was sooooooo dry (air dryed), it looked like wool...:wallbash:

What do you ladies suggest I do in order to restore some moisture? And, how to PROPERLY give this yogurt curl loosening thing another go?

If you ladies could please help to get me straight on quick and easy poo, condition and deep condition steps (your quick regimen and the type of water (cold/warm/hot) I should use to achieve the best results, would be greatly appreciated! :yep:

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Last edited:
You should definitely rinse with very warm water and the lime isn't necessary. See, the purpose of using the lime in the lime and coconut mixture is to "sour" the coconut milk, but yogurt is already "soured," if you will, so the lime is superfluous, in my opinion with the yogurt, and might even make the concoction too astringent. My very first yogurt concoction was honey and almond conditioner, honey, two level tablespoons of yogurt, whey protein, a bit of coconut oil (not too much or the stuff will feel tacky once you get it in your hair) and my powdered herbs. My powdered herbs consists of several moisturizing/softening herbs like irish moss. Therefore, for your purposes I would use a conditioner like Nature's Gate Herbal conditioner because it has lots of moisturizing and softening herbs already in it.

Last edited:
Well Im in love with this!!!!:love2:
Im 3C and relaxed but wanted to try this for in between touch up time so that I dont have to flat iron my new growth whe I wear my hair straight. I am 10 weeks post relaxer and this straightened my new growth almost like I got a relaxer retouch. After I took my rollers out from my roller set my roots were straight. No wave or curls:blush: .
Im going to see how long I can stretch for doing this. No need to flat iron roots:cloud9:

Like adw425 I used yogart, Buttermilk(I used powdered), and Coconut milk
I also mix in an herbal mixture that I have been using for the past month of of irish moss,hibiscus,burdock and nettles powders and lecithin to thicken it all up.

ETA: I forgot to say I used it as a pre-poo for an hour no heat

Last edited:
Ladies, I am so glad to hear so many good reports about this.

I told a coworker of mine, who is also 4b natural, and she was so excited about this. She learned after she did it that she did not have a blow out her afro like she normally does.

My mixture includes just yougurt and buttermilk. This is working OK for me, just OK. Is there one more additive I can add to make it "more potent". Just one or two more suggestions. I'm on a PJ budget. Since joining the LHCF, I have about $400.00 in all types of products.

You should definitely rinse with very warm water and the lime isn't necessary. See, the purpose of using the lime in the lime and coconut mixture is to "sour" the coconut milk, but yogurt is already "soured," if you will, so the lime is superfluous, in my opinion with the yogurt, and might even make the concoction too astringent. My very first yogurt concoction was honey and almond conditioner, honey, two level tablespoons of yogurt, whey protein, a bit of coconut oil (not too much or the stuff will feel tacky once you get it in your hair) and my powdered herbs. My powdered herbs consists of several moisturizing/softening herbs like irish moss. Therefore, for your purposes I would use a conditioner like Nature's Gate Herbal conditioner because it has lots of moisturizing and softening herbs already in it.

IA...Sounds like you 'curdled' your yogurt by adding the lime juice.

Ok...so I read evverrry single post. And I truly understand the power of the yogurt. However, what I'm sorta confused on (still) is when exactly is the BEST time to use the yogurt?

Would it be best to use on dry hair (pre-wash) or wet hair (post washed)?

Would I condition afterwards or wash afterwards and then condition? :ohwell:

Back