Yo!!! Remember me talking about visualizing my growth last year?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I just posted this in the Vision Board thread in OT but, since it's hair-related, I thought I'd share here too.

Ok, y'all remember this post?

So I mentioned using my vision board for my hair goals. I also mentioned that I was confessing wl from the beginning of the year when it sounded silly. I have to say that I was looking at my vision board last night and realized something. For visualizing my growth I print out a rearfacing pic of myself and use a marker to extend the length of my hair (I'm SO low tech when it comes to image editing software. I just kept it old skool). My goal for the year was pasted to my vision board and I'd attatch the next goal pic on top of it with a clip. So, for instance, in September, I attached my expectations for the end of the month (maybe this makes sense if you find the post where I broke down how I post smaller milestone goal pics that my mind could easily accept).

Anywho, in December, I had up my goal pic for the end of January. Last night I realized that I've been so preoccupied with family issues that I hadn't updated my pic or checked my length. I took the pic down and saw my year end goal pic from last year. The pic was just grazing wl and it hit me that it looks EXACTLY like my actual year end pic. I mean in every way! Where the "v" starts and ends. EXACTLY!!!

That was the end of December and we're in Feb now so, I know that it's even longer than that. I'm updating my goal pic but wanted to share. Even though I'm expecting it, I'm still in awe of the exactness of my manifestations. :lick:

ETA: Wanted to show my 2 pics side-by-side:

I just had a revelation and had to run over and share.

I haven't been visualizing anything hair-related this year...intentionally. This year was going to be about getting in shape, living in a beautiful home, my dad's health improving, surrounding myself with likeminded people and building a charitable organization. Since I was so close to my goal, the only thing that I wanted hair-related was gorgeous thickness.

That said, please look at my avi pic. (changing. See pic below) That is one of my fave protective styles. It's a wig (can't remember the name offhand but, I've posted the name a few times in a couple wigs thread here). I love the thickness and general LARGENESS. :grin:

Fast forward to me trying to wear my hair out for my anniversary last week. Check out this pic and compare to my avi pic:

I complained about feeling like Mufasa but, when I went to put the wig on today, it occurred to me that I'm Mufasa in that wig. Ok, I curled my hair under and didn't do all the added curls but, my hair is layered and could curl like that with the bulk landing right where the bulk is landing there. I stretched the length and it's the same length as my hair. If I had styling skills, I can get that same look for you year end pic and it would be exactly what I want!

Then it occurred to me that I see that pic several times daily in my avi and as my FB profile pic. I was visualizing and didn't even realize it.

That said, um... I suggest everyone gets some pics made with your goal length and keep it in front of you. Whether I intended to visualize or not, I got exactly what I saw for myself.

Light-bulb!!!

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thanks Njoy & your hair is to die for *drooling as I'm typing. My goal length would be where any of you ladies are and I am faaaar from it. But hey its a goal & I'm definately going through with my natural, healthy, thick MBL goal (may change but for now MBL). Again beautiful hair & thnx 4 sharing!

Janet'

NJoy, I am an advocate of positive thinking in all aspects of my life. I think that you are a prime example of speaking and actually believing that things can be what you want them to be...

I also want to point out that one thing that set your visualization apart from others is that you continued to work in harmony with those goals. You didn't just say, "my hair will be WL"...You protective styled, deep conditioned, trimmed; in other words, you set yourself up for success!!!

:congrats: and thank you for the inspiration!

SmilingElephant

I keep tryna tell folks....if you can see it...you can be it:yep:

*Sings*: I believe i can fly...!:lol:...but its SO true...visualizing is very helpful in reaching goals...not just with hair...but in life period!

Gorgeous hair NJoy!

I visualized me scraping APL the end of the year and guess what? I'm is:grin:

Next year, i told myself i'm shooting for MBL/WL by the end of the year...we'll see.

theNaturalWonders

NJoy thank you for sharing this powerful testimony!! i always make sure i speak life over every situation in my life so that its manifests in the natural. using a vision board is just what i need right now. **takes notes to begin making visual board**

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy, I am an advocate of positive thinking in all aspects of my life. I think that you are a prime example of speaking and actually believing that things can be what you want them to be...

I also want to point out that one thing that set your visualization apart from others is that you continued to work in harmony with those goals. You didn't just say, "my hair will be WL"...You protective styled, deep conditioned, trimmed; in other words, you set yourself up for success!!!

:congrats: and thank you for the inspiration!

SO true! Girl, I was in length threads that I had no business being in. I was flinging my WL hair in the shower when I was barely APL. I was washing my hair in sections waaaay before there was a need.

I believed it and lived it before I had it.

Further, I avoided anything and anyone that conflicted with what I was believing. I avoided negative threads and people stating 1/2" a month like it came straight from the mouth of God.

If you CAN'T believe it, you WON'T receive it. So, if you can only believe an inch at a time, believe that. It adds up. :yep:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
That's awesome. I love when our visions manifest themselves. I always say. If you can believe it, you can achieve it. That you did. Your hair is fabulous! Congrats to you!

FlyyGyrl

This is so true. I used to own a nice curly wig that I rocked hard one summer. For thanksgiving I wore my hair in bantu knots and I asked my husband if he liked my hair. He said he thought it was a wig. I realized my hair looked exactly like the wig I used to own and wore almost daily. I visualized it into existence. I promptly went out and bought longer wigs exactly how I want my hair to be one day.:lachen:

vestaluv1

Congrats NJoy! Your hair is amazing.

This is awesome because I have done this myself in the past. Back when I first started my hair journey, I took a picture of my hair as it was (SL) and extended the length to around APL. I had never been APL before, so if I as able to get there, it was going to be a massive deal.
I put the two pictures side by side and saved it as 'My Goal Length...' (or something like that) and I was determined that I would make it to that length.
Low and behold, I made it. (Took me 6 months to get to APL)
I'm going to go through my old files to see if I can find it...

At the time SouthernTease was a regular poster on the board and I took her advice about positive thinking and visualisation!!! Wow, I forgot all about that! Thank you for sharing NJoy!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I have ben carrying your pic in my purse!!!!!

I'm flattered and that's great for inspiration. But, get yourself in the pic. Personalize your pic so that it's you or clearly representing you (when you see it).

I paste my face on pics, take pics of me with stuff I want and have even put my name on the tag of a pic of the car that I wanted. I'm driving that Lexus now. *snaps*. Don't get me started. Life is GOOD and God is GREAT!

princesslocks

I'm flattered and that's great for inspiration. But, get yourself in the pic. Personalize your pic so that it's you or clearly representing you (when you see it).

I paste my face on pics, take pics of me with stuff I want and have even put my name on the tag of a pic of the car that I wanted. I'm driving that Lexus now. *snaps*. Don't get me started. Life is GOOD and God is GREAT!

NJoy Yes He is GOOD!!!!!!! ^^^^ This resonates deep in my spirit. God Bless you and great hair progress. You are inspiring!

Ms_CoCo37

NJoy, I couldn't say it better. You set a goal, you visualized, and you worked in harmony with that. Your hard work, diligence and tenacity are the very things that inspire me to keep striving. The same can be said for JJamiah. You guys are my hair inspiration.:grin:

EbonyCPrincess

I am literally doing this tonight. Getting a pic that has the hair AND body I want and putting my face on it!

After that...I'm gonna use my sulfur growth aid...just to help my visualizations along! lmbo!

But I do remember you talking about this last year and tbh, I didn't really buy it too much. However, I do believe in the power of positive thinking and even more so the power of words - the Word teaches us all about how our thoughts and words can have power over our lives so I believe I should apply that to everything I do. Thanks for sharing!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I am literally doing this tonight. Getting a pic that has the hair AND body I want and putting my face on it!

After that...I'm gonna use my sulfur growth aid...just to help my visualizations along! lmbo!

But I do remember you talking about this last year and tbh, I didn't really buy it too much. However, I do believe in the power of positive thinking and even more so the power of words - the Word teaches us all about how our thoughts and words can have power over our lives so I believe I should apply that to everything I do. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I hear you. Some take pause at the whole "visualizing" thing. It's just a way to focus your thoughts for a period of time. And, images "speak" to us all the time. In fact, it's one of the ways that God speaks to us. HE speaks in concepts and images or visions. Think about how HE talks about sheep, flocks and oil for example. He's not being literal but this speaks to the people of that day and what's familiar. So, when He speaks to someone in a vision, He will use images that convey a message that is familiar to the one receiving the vision.

Hence, when I focus my attention or thoughts on an image that suggests that I have long hair or that I'm successful or whatever, my subconscious receives and translates those images for its use.

When I see a red light, I don't need a verbal "stop" to react.

Just saying this for clarification's sake.

Likewise, if we're constantly surrounding ourselves with negative images, such as living in a dirty, dilapidated environment, it is accepted as the "norm" and we begin to "feel" the same and attract similar things that support this norm. But, even if we are in this situation, we can choose images to focus our attention on to send new messages to our subconcious of what is and our circumstances can then begin to conform to the "norm" presented.

Meh, I don't know if that made sense but, hopefully it helped someone release resistance to the whole "visualizing" thing.

taj

I love this hair story it's such an inspiring manifestation! Your hair is stunning:lick:. lol! Thank you for sharing.

WantNatural

SO true! Girl, I was in length threads that I had no business being in. I was flinging my WL hair in the shower when I was barely APL. I was washing my hair in sections waaaay before there was a need.

I believed it and lived it before I had it.

Further, I avoided anything and anyone that conflicted with what I was believing. I avoided negative threads and people stating 1/2" a month like it came straight from the mouth of God.

If you CAN'T believe it, you WON'T receive it. So, if you can only believe an inch at a time, believe that. It adds up. :yep:

^^^THIS! Thank you for this! I have been holding myself back, not only with my hair growth progress but in my life in general, because I'm too busy paying attention to what's supposed to happen instead of focusing on what I want to happen. And I know better!:nono: I decided to forget that my hair should only grow an average of 1/2" a month, and decided to believe that 2" a month was totally possible - others have received this type of growth - I saw your progress photo from 2010 when you did exactly that! So I know it's possible. It's not my problem if others believe it or not. I chose to believe it, started using Moe Grow oil 11/25/11, and as of 12/25/11, received 1.5" of growth on the left side of my nape and 2" on the right side. The first week when I measured and saw that I had 1/2" of growth in only one week I was excited and encouraged...and SHOCKED! But now I know for a fact and believe that it is indeed possible, as is anything else in life. This is a great thread, and I plan to incorporate visualizing and other methods next year, not only for my hair but for my life! You are an inspiration and such a positive energy.

Thank you

NJoy

Here I grow again!
^^^THIS! Thank you for this! I have been holding myself back, not only with my hair growth progress but in my life in general, because I'm too busy paying attention to what's supposed to happen instead of focusing on what I want to happen. And I know better!:nono: I decided to forget that my hair should only grow an average of 1/2" a month, and decided to believe that 2" a month was totally possible - others have received this type of growth - I saw your progress photo from 2010 when you did exactly that! So I know it's possible. It's not my problem if others believe it or not. I chose to believe it, started using Moe Grow oil 11/25/11, and as of 12/25/11, received 1.5" of growth on the left side of my nape and 2" on the right side. The first week when I measured and saw that I had 1/2" of growth in only one week I was excited and encouraged...and SHOCKED! But now I know for a fact and believe that it is indeed possible, as is anything else in life. This is a great thread, and I plan to incorporate visualizing and other methods next year, not only for my hair but for my life! You are an inspiration and such a positive energy.

Thank you

Woo!! You did that! KUTGW in EVERY aspect of your life and you will be unstoppable!!!

Lucia

Thanks for sharing this revelation.
He button wasn't enough
NJoy
Afterreading the OP I realize I was doing this all along without knowing before I even new about vision boards. I did C&G and my weave was always midback to WL and I looked at myself in the mirror daily and looking at superlonghaired fotki and YTs keeping my hai moist and sealed regular trims and then I achieved that so this time Ill do this again but using your example.

Last edited:

Lita

Love it ...Name it & Claim it...Keep growing...

*I do it too...Put it in the air/write it out & visualize..

Happy Hair Growing!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Oh....And let me just add one thing for the folks are are saying things like, but you have to have a plan to get there.

Regarding our hair, we're on this board because we're taking care of our hair anyway. IN ADDITION to doing things that are in line with the vision you have of longer, stronger and/or healthier hair, why not see as God sees. He sees the end from the beginning. That's all I'm doing. Seeing where it is I intend to go and give thanks for it now.

If you can't see it being a reality for yourself ("well, maybe for her but not me.") then, how can you expect to get there? If you can't believe it could be true for you, then why hope without faith?

I'm just sayin. This has been working for me according to my faith. Not so much in faith in my own abilities but my faith in the promises of God, who said I can have whatever I say; As I think in my heart, so am I; and whatever I ask in prayer, believing that I have received when I asked, it shall be given. But, don't get me preachin. I'm making it happen. Anybody else in?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm confused. Are the pics you posted wig pics or your hair. What is an "avi" pic?

virtuenow

Sorry for the confusion. But, since you don't know what I mean by "avi", I understand it. Let me clarify. My "avi" (or avatar) is the profile pic near my username at the top left. See me with the long hair and red dress? (Well, it's actually a silk scarf wrapped but, you get the idea)

Now, if you go back and read my original post, you'll see that I've chosen to use a wig pic so that I can visualize my length goal. I've also used pics of my latest protective style (been in HYH challenges and using wigs and phonytails as my ps of choice) for previous profile pics to show off my latest ps. Also, I always name what I'm wearing just in case someone else in interested in trying it out.

As for my length pics, those are always my own hair. I never try to pass off a wig shot as my own hair.

I think geting used to seeing myself at my goal length helps me to actually reach my desired length. This is a NEW goal length for me. I never thought I'd want to grow beyond the tip of my "v" grazing my hips. But, me likely the longer length and I'm going for it. :yep:

I hope that made sense and clarifies things for you. Let a sistah know.

virtuenow

NJoy, thank you, someone actually pm'd me last night and clarified things in response to my question :); thanks for further explanation. I could see how that is inspirational. The hair just looks so real its hard to believe its a wig.