Yesterday I saw a caucasian girl getting a relaxer

Ayeshia

Okay yesterday I went to the Aveda salon to get my monstrous eyebrows attacked with wax and tweezers. Anywho after I was done, I went to the register to pay for my eyebrows. And Immediately I smelled a relaxer (i like the smell, well that and gasoline
). I looked around and I saw a white girl about 13 getting a relaxer. And to be sure I asked one of the people what she was getting done to her hair. Man I wanted to ask why this little girlwas getting one. (Im natural but Im not anti relaxer or anything
), I just wanted to know why she was getting one. Her hair wasnt even curly just slightly wavy and semi thick, and I could tell that It could have easily been straightened with a blowdryer. Plus her hair looked like it was fried from all this color she previously had on it. I dont know the end results but I hope it came out okay. That was my first time seeing a caucasian getting a relaxer service.

Lovelylocs

I know lots of white people that get relaxers b/c their hair is wavy or curly. The hair looks like it is easy to straighten with a blowdryer, but it really isnt at all.

skegeesmb

Holy smokes, I've heard of Caucasian women relaxing, but I have yet to actually see it with my own eyes. It's like it's done in the cloak of night.

I heard that Jackie O relaxes her hair. I don't know if that's true or not.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Lovelylocs said:
I know lots of white people that get relaxers b/c their hair is wavy or curly. The hair looks like it is easy to straighten with a blowdryer, but it really isnt at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I would have stayed to see the end results. From looking at her hair and her mothers hair, I pray to god that she takes care of it

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
Holy smokes, I've heard of Caucasian women relaxing, but I have yet to actually see it with my own eyes. It's like it's done in the cloak of night.

I heard that Jackie O relaxes her hair. I don't know if that's true or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol

BTW as she scetioned her hair, it was immediately straightened when she applied it. I hope that her hair didnt over process becausue of that previous color that she had

webby

Think Slim
I didn't know that caucasians needed relaxers either until I happed upon this salon in midtown several years ago that did dominican style roller sets before "Dominican blowdry" was an adjective.

The salon was inundated with white folk with hair just like mine: coarse, wavy, not straight. Most were of jewish decent, but there was one Italian girl who had paper white skin, but dark, ultra-coarse hair. It was a juxtaposition, to say the least.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Marilyn Monroe had a relaxer. People had the nerve to describe her hair as "too kinky".

[/ QUOTE ]

wow I never knew that
thanks for that snip of hair knowledge for today

greAtness333

Yea, some caucasian pple have really thick hair that just puffs when it's blow dried. This girl in high school was telling me once how the stylist said she needed a relaxer to get her hair thin and straight.

TigerLily

Wow! Learn something new everyday!

I think that Marilyn Monroe looked way better with her natural hair than that blonde crappy color that she had.

Tai

I've done relaxers on caucasians. My best friend had one. She was the first white 4a/b I ever known. It changed her texture to a 2c after she grew it out. I also relaxed her little sister's hair, who was a 3b.
A lot of the Jewish girls I knew in college got their hair relaxed. It's fairly common, actually.

Tai

Yes, they have the same problems with breakage if they use heat and color. My roommate was fine once I started doing her relaxers. Her salon overprocessed her (they put the relaxer all over her hair during retouches)
and it was starting to break then. But it stopped once it stopped being overprocessed. She only dried and flat ironed her hair once in a blue moon (3X a year. she washed once a week and CW everyday. Her hair was rarely down and was airdried all the time. Her hair grew once relaxed when it never did natural. She went from chin length to waist length in about 16 months.
Her sister colors her hair and uses heat daily. Her hair was a mess. I refused to touch it up because I was afraid it would all come out. She stopped with the heat and color and it's better now.

mermaid

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Marilyn Monroe had a relaxer. People had the nerve to describe her hair as "too kinky".

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I LOVE that picture!! Before Marilyn- this was Norma Jean!!
And yeah, lot's of caucasians get relaxers, many mediterranean and middle eastern descendants tend to have wirey, frizzy hair and have tried to smooth it forevah!
They even have those weak relaxers in the grocery stores, like the cheap home perms, they've had the relaxer equivalant right next to it.

Lorraine

I have a lot of Jewish and Hispanic friends who used to get their hair relaxed. They have since discovered flat irons. Speaking of, I had white friends in elementary school whose mothers would lay their head on an ironing board and literally iron their hair straight!

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
I have a lot of Jewish and Hispanic friends who used to get their hair relaxed. They have since discovered flat irons. Speaking of, I had white friends in elementary school whose mothers would lay their head on an ironing board and literally iron their hair straight!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that before
Man I was desparate lol

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
Wow! Learn something new everyday!

I think that Marilyn Monroe looked way better with her natural hair than that blonde crappy color that she had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
She was pretty as a blond, but gorgeous as a brunette.

SoAnxious12

yup my mother's aunts and uncles who are all italian and greek descent all get relaxers they have some of the thickest hair i've seen in a while

destiny55

I already knew that white people have relaxers
what surprised me that many of them actually straighten their hair everyday, with a flat iron,with straightening combs on the side
Then a couple of years ago I figured out that some white people that don't even have curly hair,have tangly knotty hair
even white people with thin hair have knotty hair

I thought before straight = not kinky
I was surprised!
please excuse my ignorance

I suppose we are not THAT different after all
I love my naps even more

PS I was even more surprised to learn that in other places, like Japan, people actually put chemicals in their hair to make it nappy!
I love it!

In Trinidad I know of Indians with dead straight hair who relax their hair with Revlon because it breaks the bonds and allows their hair to be roller set so that they could get waves, Without it their hair would not take a roller set or curling iron curl...That's why I could never figure out why the Caucasian people here spend so much money to do the Japanese relaxer ,people need to stop relying on marketing to make decisions which are common sense.

My Father's younger sister was the only one in their household of 10 kids who came out with straight hair , and she still relaxed when she became an adult cause once the gray hair came it became an afro.

14got

Re: Yesterday I saw a caucasian girl getting a rel

Wow, I would have never guessed. That just proves that we arenn't the only people who crave managability

Taliah

And I'm Dancing...

oh yeah. especially jewish or italian woman. they have some nappy locks at times. i can definitely see them getting their hair relaxed. some people with naturally curly locks just get frizz when they blow dry, so getting relaxed, all though permanent, is a better for them to achieve that straight look.

Aisha81

Lots of White people have tightly curling hair. Back in my hayday I actually worked at an upscale salon, and even though it was 99% white we did offer relaxer services. We got at least 10 women a month getting the service.

mermaid

[ QUOTE ]
Taliah said:
oh yeah. especially jewish or italian woman. they have some nappy locks at times. i can definitely see them getting their hair relaxed. some people with naturally curly locks just get frizz when they blow dry, so getting relaxed, all though permanent, is a better for them to achieve that straight look.

[/ QUOTE ]
For sure- my mom is Italian and when younger and had waist length hair, it was a source of frusteration for her, not her glory. It was thick, heavy enough to cause headaches, wavy enough to make it roll back upon itself. I was dismayed when she cut it from waist length to the bottom of her ears, but I guess I can understand it.
Another group is redheads, they have some mean problems with hair I've noticed. I had a friend in school who had that dark red hair, and it was the roughest hair I have EVER felt in my life, like a brillo pad. Then there have several I've met who have these perpetual frizzy red halos that are like 4 inches thick.
I even remeber the clothes iron thing, back in the 60's, that's what they did to get that super flat hippy hair. I wasn't around much for the 60's, but I remember growing up, it was no surprise that people did it. Ricki Lake even did it in "Hairspray"

happylocks

I know that white ppl get thier hair relaxed but I dont see those kind in stores or never payed attetion, Never know MM had a relaxer she looks beautiful. OT I heard she was 12-16 so I was thinking she was about 160-200 but she was not
Height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
Weight: 140 lbs
37-23-36 (Studio's Claim); 35-22-35 (Dressmaker's Claim), they just had a different way of measuring

mermaid

[ QUOTE ]
happylocks said:
I know that white ppl get thier hair relaxed but I dont see those kind in stores or never payed attetion, Never know MM had a relaxer she looks beautiful. OT I heard she was 12-16 so I was thinking she was about 160-200 but she was not
Height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
Weight: 140 lbs
37-23-36 (Studio's Claim); 35-22-35 (Dressmaker's Claim), they just had a different way of measuring

[/ QUOTE ]
Her size? Yes, she about a 16, but you're right they did measure differently back then. I still think it wasn't that much of a difference from now, though. Curvy was more desirable then and some like Paris Hilton would be in the hospital for her skinny lil body.
My own weight is something like 145-150 and I'm 5ft 7, and wear a size 9-10. I do NOT have a 23 inch waist!!