Wrapping hair

9MillaNina

I tried looking for a thread and couldn't find one, if anyone has a link plz provide, if not here we go.

When I was in high school I wrapped my hair daily. Even walked to school with it wrapped and unwrapped it right before school began. I mainly did it that way because during school months here in New Orleans it's always hot and humid early morning, so my hair would frizz and so forth. I remember going to class one day and a lady with beautiful long hair asked me did I wrap my hair every night, I told her yes, am she immediatly said stop it dont wrap my hair anymore. She proceeded to tell me it would thin my hair off and start breaking. And my ignorant &$& kept on wrapping and maybe 1 year after high school, my hair was balding and breaking at the crown. I kept wrapping still and of course I started to see my scalp even more. 3 years ago I got tired and cut it off and went natural, hair grew in thicker fuller and even more healthy than ever when I was relaxing. So now I'm back to relaxing as natural curls are way to much for me to handle.

Is there any way for me to keep a straight look without wrapping and applying to much heat . I don't wanna go bald again, but I'm noticing breakage at the crown again

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Change the direction you wrap your hair in. Sometimes, I do a super high bun and use a bobby pin to tuck it in. Sometimes I do two big braids. Sometimes I go to sleep and have my hair out. I find doing different things help. Good luck to you.

ravenhairedcharm

Cross wrap. There's a lot of tutorials on youtube, but I can't post, I'm on my phone now. It puts the least amount of stress on the hair. HTH

sylver2

part your hair in style u want. put scarf on w/ hair hangin out back.then bonnet over that.wake up and go.

hnntrr

I always change the direction of my wrap. One night ill do it to the right, the next night ill do it too the left. It just became a habit but that keeps it from laying in one spot over and over again. What kind of scarf are you using? That might be contributing too. I use a satin scarf under a regular hair scarf and that helps me. Try also using a brush where the bristles arent so hard! I noticed when I switch from a bristle brush to a plastic detangler it helped a lot (the points are small enough to detangle but it doesnt rip my hair out esp during wrapping.

Ultimately your hair is going to do what it wants, if it doesn't want to be bone straight it wont be bone straight and just trying to force it to get there is going to result in breakage (i know allllll too well).

If you notice it being curler on different days depending on humidity and such then wear it back or in a pony tail. Our hair wont ever be completely straight, even with relaxers...if it is it is highly damaged to the point where it won't hold a curl at all, and that just makes our hair unhealthy. (Not even white people's hair is completely straight all the time. Some times there is a little bit of curl regardless of what you do and you have to use a flat iron every day to make it bone straight and keep it that way(my last roommate).

9MillaNina

I always change the direction of my wrap. One night ill do it to the right, the next night ill do it too the left. It just became a habit but that keeps it from laying in one spot over and over again. What kind of scarf are you using? That might be contributing too. I use a satin scarf under a regular hair scarf and that helps me. Try also using a brush where the bristles arent so hard! I noticed when I switch from a bristle brush to a plastic detangler it helped a lot (the points are small enough to detangle but it doesnt rip my hair out esp during wrapping.

Ultimately your hair is going to do what it wants, if it doesn't want to be bone straight it wont be bone straight and just trying to force it to get there is going to result in breakage (i know allllll too well).

If you notice it being curler on different days depending on humidity and such then wear it back or in a pony tail. Our hair wont ever be completely straight, even with relaxers...if it is it is highly damaged to the point where it won't hold a curl at all, and that just makes our hair unhealthy. (Not even white people's hair is completely straight all the time. Some times there is a little bit of curl regardless of what you do and you have to use a flat iron every day to make it bone straight and keep it that way(my last roommate).

Hey thanks.. I use a satin scarf to tie tight and a satin bonnet to protect scarf after wrapping. I wrap different directions also. My hair isn't damaged at all. Before I went natural my relaxers were the main reason my hair was always bone straight. I don't use brushes anymore bristles damage my hair small or big. And yes mam my granny is white and her hair is curly and I've never seen it straight before. I'm just looking to achieve the same results as as going natural. Ill get there, not giving up it can be done. Ill just keep researching and trying things out.

That's alot Hun