Workin' Out in Ya Wig!

kittiekat

Ladies rockin' the half wigs and wigs: What do you do to your hair when you work out? My hair usually looks crazy under my half wigs. I still wanna look somewhat decent, especially since I see a lot of people I know in the gym. :blush::look:

Also I have to walk to and from the gym...should i just let the city see my crazy hair? Or should I wear the wig to the gym and take it off in the locker room, work out with my crazy hair and then slap on the half wig again and have folk wonderin how i changed my hair so fast? :lachen:

mscocoface

When I was wearing wigs as a ps I would use head wraps while going to and from the gym. Could not work out in a wig. No sirrreee. I would make them from scrafs or muslin material. It worked great.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I would have two wigs with me when I go to the gym. You can have one that's just for working out that you don't mind messing up or getting funky.:grin: It shouldn't be dramatically different from the one you wear to the gym though. I'd pull a switcheroo in the locker room and put the good one back on when I leave and call it a day.

I guess this depends on the kind of half wig you wear but I'd tie a scarf around it. Although a scarf tends to make you sweat more.

I don't know though but I HTH at least a little.

mocha.li

I just started wearing a wig/half wig and I have been working out in it. All the people I work with go to the gym. Maybe I'll do what Mscocoface does?

LaToya28

Before I knew better, I would work out in my wigs, but now I wouldn't do it. I didn't know about washing them then either, so they would start to stink after a while. :blush: Too trifling, I know! Now, I just put my hair in cornrows or a ponytail/bun and throw on a scarf.

yardyspice

I've put oils or conditioner on my hair, put on a plastic bag, and then I would throw the wig on with a scarf to make sure it stayed on. I don't get to go to the gym much because of my ds but I would do that again if I could. When we go for our walks I put a scarf on.

MizzBrit

working out in a wig seems so..HOT..i just tie my hair up while working out and coming to and from the gym i would tie something around my head.lord knows i dont look cute while and after working out.

brittle_hair

Having to think about doing my hair before/after the gym is exactly why I have ordered a foldable treadmill, this way I only need to walk to my front room and there's no need to worry about doing my hair or even having to wear a decent gym kit!

Yen Oak

^^^ Right. I sweat so much that I need to be able to release the heat from my head. I would pass out otherwise!

darlingdiva

I workout in my wig. I wear my hair in cornrows underneath the wig, and I put on a satin bonnet over the cornrows.
I carry bobby pins with me to pin the wig hair up before I start running on the treadmill.

DeepBluSea

I can just imagine someone's wig flying off while doing taebo. Yall better take off them wigs and get a fashionable scarf.:lachen::lachen:

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I workout each morning (5am) before work. I use my old wigs for when I go to the gym. Afterwards I take the wig off, do a quick cowash, hair drys while I'm getting dressed. Put my wig cap on, throw on another wig that was in my gym bag, put the "workout" wig back in the gym bag and keep it moving.

A cute alternative is a nice beanie, where you can hide your crazy hair styles, but not wear a du-rag or scarf

They are six bux at Forever 21.

aa9746

Ladies rockin' the half wigs and wigs: What do you do to your hair when you work out? My hair usually looks crazy under my half wigs. I still wanna look somewhat decent, especially since I see a lot of people I know in the gym. :blush::look:

Also I have to walk to and from the gym...should i just let the city see my crazy hair? Or should I wear the wig to the gym and take it off in the locker room, work out with my crazy hair and then slap on the half wig again and have folk wonderin how i changed my hair so fast? :lachen:

I wear my wigs when i work out.

aa9746

I workout each morning (5am) before work. I use my old wigs for when I go to the gym. Afterwards I take the wig off, do a quick cowash, hair drys while I'm getting dressed. Put my wig cap on, throw on another wig that was in my gym bag, put the "workout" wig back in the gym bag and keep it moving.

That sounds like a great idea!:yep:

Cheekychica

The problem I have is that I go straight to work from the gym in the mornings. There aren't that many black ppl where I live and the change room doesn't have the privacy that I need to adjust my wigs. :look: I normally wear my wigs to the gym in a bun under a scarf. My wigs don't last as long as I'd like because of it.

On Saturdays I wear an old wig to work out. :ohwell:

Rain20

I made a wig using the base from an old drawstring wig. I think you should only use a wig that will stay put. If you have a long hair wig, you can braid and pin it up or make a ponytail with the long hair. Phony ponies are good and you can make a bun with those. If you can,stop at a Target, Wendy's or McDonalds(if the bathroom is clean enough) and do your switcheroo there. I usually just go in to buy water and stop in the bathroom on the way out.
HTH
Rain20

GreenD

I was just thinking about this the other day. I have a "work out wig" and it's kinda a decent wig (an old wig), but I ONLY wear it to work out, not to work or otherwise. It's a curly half wig that doesn't look bad and it's not on my neck too much. I just put that on and a headband or sweatband to secure it down (in addition to pinning it down).

Last edited:

winnettag

I take my wig off in the locker room and put on a scarf.
I worked out in a wig once or twice and I hated how it felt.

Charlie555

I take mine off and put on a scarf, there is no way I could workout in a wig my head sweats too much.