Will cutting your hair stop breakage?

classi123

My hair is breaking and I am not sure why. I think because of the lack of moisture and also I am 7 weeks post and I love using my rat tail comb to comb my hair. My friend suggested cutting it. (I have some thin strands) I wanted to wait until my next relaxer to do so. But I was wondering is there any truth in what she said. Will my hair break more because my lack of clipping? Mind u I dust from time to time. cutting off the split ends but I havent had a good cut since last year. Someone plz help with some advice.
I am wearing a wash n set with my roots blown until perm time. :sad:

aloof one

Cutting will stop the hair that is going to break off below where you cut from breaking because it will be gone. But if you are tearing your hair out with a tiny comb it wont make a difference. You just may be thinning your hair out...

InnerSoul

Cutting will stop the hair that is going to break off below where you cut from breaking because it will be gone. But if you are tearing your hair out with a tiny comb it wont make a difference. You just may be thinning your hair out...

I agree.. the rattail comb is probably doing the breakage.. you need a wide tooth comb that won't pull or snag your tresses. Rattail combs are fine for me.. when parting!

ajargon02

I agree.. the rattail comb is probably doing the breakage.. you need a wide tooth comb that won't pull or snag your tresses. Rattail combs are fine for me.. when parting!

ITA, you might also wanna watch your routine. I mean if you have breakage due to splits, and you cut your hair, and don't change what you are doing wrong the cut's worthless. I mean just like the others said, not using the "rattail" comb in your hair, instead using your fingers to comb or a wide tooth comb, making sure you are getting enough moisture and retaining it along with balancing your protein. Good luck to you, hth :)

classi123

I think I figured it out. When I first started taking care of my hair I would moisturize and seal every night, now I got lazy and stopped moisturizing altogether. Im going to UP the moisture and going back to morning and evening moisturizing!!! Also cut out the rattail comb, altho its hard...

locabouthair

I think I figured it out. When I first started taking care of my hair I would moisturize and seal every night, now I got lazy and stopped moisturizing altogether. Im going to UP the moisture and going back to morning and evening moisturizing!!! Also cut out the rattail comb, altho its hard...

why do you use a rattail comb? I think thta's a sure fire way to get thin hair.

To answer your question, yes cutting can stop breakage. I had bad breakage for 4 months straight i got a cut, about 2 inches and I no longer have those breakage issues.

but in your case, i think you just need to leave the rattail comb alone and you'll be fine.