Wig, Weave and Ponytail Challenge 2022-2024

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’m starting to feel really self aware about wearing fake hair. I have just been my wig and I feel like I look prettier with my natural curls even though they are much shorter. I don’t feel like experimenting right now though

MzSwift

I’m starting to feel really self aware about wearing fake hair. I have just been my wig and I feel like I look prettier with my natural curls even though they are much shorter. I don’t feel like experimenting right now though

I've been going through this same thing this time around. I cornrow my hair but cant' bring myself to wear any of my wigs. I'd rather rock a bandana out or my janky cornrows with a headband. lol. Not sure why bc I've NEVER been uncomfortable rocking wig, weave or a straight baldie. I keep meaning to wear wigs. I keep buying them too, but I just don't.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Back to my ponytails. I’m modifying my routine to include more protein to off set the moisture from the baggy. I am also hoping to reduce breakage in the front of my hair.

Here is my new routine:

Every 1-2 weeks

Shampoo x2

Protein Treatment for 2 minutes

Deep Treatment for 5 minutes

Detangle with smoothing hair all back

Towel dry

Apply cream protein leave in

Apply 2 hard hold gels to the front

Apply moisturizer, cream and grease to the ends

Bun and Baggy with bun maker

Set hair overnight

Daily

Spray hair with moisturizer

Apply 2 hard holding gels to the front

Apply moisturizer, cream and grease to the ends

Bun and Baggy with bun maker

Set hair overnight

Monthly

Clarifying shampoo

I will be experimenting with Salerm B5 leave in, La Brasiliana Dieci leave ins as my protein cream leave ins and Aphogee Green tea reconstructurizer mixed in with my moisturizer in a 50/50 solution. I also plan on doing an protein treatment every wash as well with Aphogee 2 minute. Hopefully this will curb my breakage.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Since it's summer, me and the home made phony pony have been out. So far I'm only washing twice a week but I'm about to ramp up my exercise regimen so we may be back to daily co washing.

MzSwift

Still thinking about installing a really basic weave for the rest of summer. We have our family road trip coming up. I'll primarily keep it bunned for ease - I want to not have to think about my hair but still look presentable. I still have curly wigs on deck but I don't want to have to wake up and put on a wig at someone else's house.

Speaking of curly wigs, I'm getting ready to try some fabric softener on one of my favorite curly synthetic wigs that's gotten really tangled. If it works, I'll be sewing that wig on this fall. So excited!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Salerm B5 +Doux Bee Girl custard+ Wetline Xtreme gel combo for is a game changer for slick backs. No frizz and shiny waves. I’m loving it!, I may only just redo the edges overnight but I’m loving these bomb results

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Salerm B5 +Doux Bee Girl custard+ Wetline Xtreme gel combo for is a game changer for slick backs. No frizz and shiny waves. I’m loving it!, I may only just redo the edges overnight but I’m loving these bomb results
Congratulations on getting great results with your combo!

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Still thinking about installing a really basic weave for the rest of summer. We have our family road trip coming up. I'll primarily keep it bunned for ease - I want to not have to think about my hair but still look presentable. I still have curly wigs on deck but I don't want to have to wake up and put on a wig at someone else's house.

Speaking of curly wigs, I'm getting ready to try some fabric softener on one of my favorite curly synthetic wigs that's gotten really tangled. If it works, I'll be sewing that wig on this fall. So excited!
Yeah I am contemplating returning to weave life too. I plan to discuss options with my stylist when I take out my soft locs next week. I miss the ease of waking up and looking put together.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I was wearing the bun with no ponytail and I really miss my ponytail! I guess I will have to be a slave to fake hair until I can figure out another signature style. But back to my human hair ponytails!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
This weeks ponytail. I think this is a synthetic pony i got off of amazon. Its a little looser than my texture but I think it still blends. I found the perfect leave in that leaves my hair super smooth and glossy so I'm pleased. I will use it for a few more weeks to see if it is HG status or just a fluke. it makes bunning my hair much simpler and my hair stays sleek all day with less gel. I'm really pleased.

IMG_4320 (2).JPG

Chicoro

This weeks ponytail. I think this is a synthetic pony i got off of amazon. Its a little looser than my texture but I think it still blends. I found the perfect leave in that leaves my hair super smooth and glossy so I'm pleased. I will use it for a few more weeks to see if it is HG status or just a fluke. it makes bunning my hair much simpler and my hair stays sleek all day with less gel. I'm really pleased.

View attachment 490585
Is this combo different from your post #156 ?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Is this combo different from your post #156 ?
Its even better than that combo!

I found it out on a total fluke. I opened a new bottle of conditioner in my stash for a rinse out and it was so thick and rich for a cheapie. It detangled beautifully but I found it was kind of hard to get out of the bottle. Because of the consistency, I decided to try to use it as a leave in to slick back my hair with no gel. It smoothed down my hair great! I let it set over night with a durag and in the morning my hair was kind of flat and had no holding power. So I slapped some Wet line gel on top and threw on my durag and went about my day because I was going to wash it out for my straightening and trim in a few days.

There was some type of chemical reaction because my hair became so smooth and glossy and IT STAYED THAT WAY. ALL DAY. I couldn't believe it. Even when I went outside and came home my hair had barely and frizz. but it was still soft and butter smooth. The other combo had my hair feeling stiff which I attributed with good hold. but this combo holds much better and my hair is touchable soft and moldable. Also absolutely no flaking even after a few days.

My hair has this gloss to it that makes me look like I have silky hair or something. Even the other combo didnt have this effect on my hair.

This is my bun that I use for the pase of my ponytails. See how smooth and glossy it is! And forget when I rinsed out the hair. My tangles don't exist!

IMG_3816 (2).JPG

Moisturizing my hair with this conditioner was also very easy as well. At night I just spritz my hair with water, apply a little conditioner and then the wet line gel on top. Then I moisturize the ends, bun it up and put on my durag and have been having multiple good hair days with no end in sight. It's amazing. Even my old combo wasn't that easy.

I don't know if this is a fluke but I went out and bought as many bottles of it before it sold out. It's Proclaim's shea butter moisturizing conditioner from Sally Beauty.

1690233580061.png

Its currently out of stock and I thought it was discontinued so I contacted the company and they said that it is just out of stock right now but they don't know when it will be back in stock. I love all of proclaim conditioners. They work very well in my hair and they smell good and are cheap. But the other conditioners dont work like this one as a leave in. I didnt try this conditioner before because they actually have a leave in for this line but it sucked. But the regular rinse out conditioner is a gem. I hope they bring it back and dont change the ingredients.

Chicoro

Its even better than that combo!

I found it out on a total fluke. I opened a new bottle of conditioner in my stash for a rinse out and it was so thick and rich for a cheapie. It detangled beautifully but I found it was kind of hard to get out of the bottle. Because of the consistency, I decided to try to use it as a leave in to slick back my hair with no gel. It smoothed down my hair great! I let it set over night with a durag and in the morning my hair was kind of flat and had no holding power. So I slapped some Wet line gel on top and threw on my durag and went about my day because I was going to wash it out for my straightening and trim in a few days.

There was some type of chemical reaction because my hair became so smooth and glossy and IT STAYED THAT WAY. ALL DAY. I couldn't believe it. Even when I went outside and came home my hair had barely and frizz. but it was still soft and butter smooth. The other combo had my hair feeling stiff which I attributed with good hold. but this combo holds much better and my hair is touchable soft and moldable. Also absolutely no flaking even after a few days.

My hair has this gloss to it that makes me look like I have silky hair or something. Even the other combo didnt have this effect on my hair.

This is my bun that I use for the pase of my ponytails. See how smooth and glossy it is! And forget when I rinsed out the hair. My tangles don't exist!

View attachment 490587

Moisturizing my hair with this conditioner was also very easy as well. At night I just spritz my hair with water, apply a little conditioner and then the wet line gel on top. Then I moisturize the ends, bun it up and put on my durag and have been having multiple good hair days with no end in sight. It's amazing. Even my old combo wasn't that easy.

I don't know if this is a fluke but I went out and bought as many bottles of it before it sold out. It's Proclaim's shea butter moisturizing conditioner from Sally Beauty.

View attachment 490589

Its currently out of stock and I thought it was discontinued so I contacted the company and they said that it is just out of stock right now but they don't know when it will be back in stock. I love all of proclaim conditioners. They work very well in my hair and they smell good and are cheap. But the other conditioners dont work like this one as a leave in. I didnt try this conditioner before because they actually have a leave in for this line but it sucked. But the regular rinse out conditioner is a gem. I hope they bring it back and dont change the ingredients.
Your hair looks great! Congratulations!!!

MzSwift

Yup, back to my personal HYH as well. Finishing up my cornrows now. Will either wig or scarf over them. I made them smaller so that I don't have to refresh them as often.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
My phone pony is starting to stretch to the point of no return. I think it can last until the end of the week. I'll make a new one on Sunday.
The visual I'm getting is hilarious. You know how my mind works :laugh:

You: Just hold on a little bit long
Ponytail: *in a dramatic voice* I. Don't. Think. I. Can *exaggerated pained face*
You: Just try
Ponytail: Okay *cues one lone strand that falls like a tear that runs down a face*

Annnd, CUT! That's a wrap folks :clapping:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I bought another wig from luvme. It’s a straight bob. I love it so much. I cut some bangs in it and it looks like one of my staple looks from when I was transitioning from a relaxer and getting Dominican blowouts. I love that I can get the look without having heat damage again. I am so happy that I went back to wigs. I prefer the short wigs with all this heat too.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
My wigs are wigging. I think they look off. I feel super self conscious wearing my wigs now. They don’t look like my real hair. I guessI have to just accept that they don’t look 100% real or like a sew
in.
And those silicone wig bands are trash! I wore one out and my wig slipped back. FAR. I looked a hot mess!

I think I may install mini twists for my new job

MzSwift

My wigs are wigging. I think they look off. I feel super self conscious wearing my wigs now. They don’t look like my real hair. I guessI have to just accept that they don’t look 100% real or like a sew
in.
And those silicone wig bands are trash! I wore one out and my wig slipped back. FAR. I looked a hot mess!

I think I may install mini twists for my new job

Yeah, I've been having the same trouble rocking mine too. I don't know why bc I've never expected my wig to look real or anything before so I'm not sure what's going on. I do find that I have the feeling more w the straight wigs than I do w the curly wigs. Also, I think for me, it's because my hair is shorter than the wigs. When my hair was longer than my wigs, I had no problem rocking them.

Keeping my hair goals in mind, I'm getting ready to buy an APL/BSL length human v-wig and maybe a u-wig, to sew down like a weave and rotate in this winter. My goal is to wig from Oct to May so I have to find something that works! I hope you find something too - wigs and weaves are a proven way to go from SL to WL! And they can be pretty low maintenance.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My phone pony is starting to stretch to the point of no return. I think it can last until the end of the week. I'll make a new one on Sunday.

Update

I made the phony pony but I used a different type of hair and now it looks ... phony. The texture is a better match but the sheen/shine difference makes it very apparent it isn't my real hair. So now I may have to make another with similar hair to the one that stretched out.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
@Plushottie :rofl: at the $14+ American dollars. I'm glad you clarified because the prices I see nowadays have me like :whyme:

I asked someone once (or twice prolly) about the price they paid for something hair related and it just sounded extremely expensive. I'm like "in American dollars?" They was like "naw Jamaican dollars" cause they lived in Jamaica :lol::abducted:

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
@Plushottie :rofl: at the $14+ American dollars. I'm glad you clarified because the prices I see nowadays have me like :whyme:

I asked someone once (or twice prolly) about the price they paid for something hair related and it just sounded extremely expensive. I'm like "in American dollars?" They was like "naw Jamaican dollars" cause they lived in Jamaica :lol::abducted:
These half wigs have def aren’t not yesterdays prices anymore. I so have seen prices do things that makes you want to grow your own wigs.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So I have gotten over the feeling of feeling bad for wearing fake hair. I decided to wear a ponytail for my birthday. I may rock it for a while because i noticed my ends are drier than they used to be compared to when i was baggying my hair and greasing the ends. I think i want to go back to baggy with grease again since the cold air has my ends so dried up on the ends no matter what i do. I'm also trying to go 6-12 months no trim again and do a big chop once im done.

Also since ive pretty much have whittled down to my staples, I think i will be extending wash day from every week to every 2 weeks depending if my hair smells bad in the baggy or not lol. I will need to experiment further but ive pretty much have my regimen solidified.

MzSwift

Now that my hair is a bit longer, I'm feeling more comfortable rocking my wigs and more encouraged to use them this year as a full PS option! This is especially crucial in the winter when my hair needs more protection. I may keep it up in the warmer months too but I'll assess at that time.

For 2024, I'm planning to sew down cheap, synthetic wigs onto my cornrows for 2-3 weeks at a time. I can't go longer than that without putting water on my scalp.
I'll tie the wig up in my satin scarf at night and then fluff it back out whenever I have to take off my scarf. I won't be applying any product to my hair while the wig is secured.

Every 2-3 weeks, I'll detach the wig, wash and DC my cornrows, apply my scalp tonic and hair oils and then reattach my wig if the braids don't need to be refreshed. If they need to be refreshed, I'll wash, DC, blow dry, rebraid, apply my scalp tonic and hair oils and then reattach a wig.

I plan to alternate in some crochet styles if I need to.

I hope this will really step up my retention! :biggrin: