Wig, Weave and Ponytail Challenge 2022-2024

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’m going to ponytail it all year. I may throw a random wash and go here and there in the summer though.

Short pony puffs: errands, around the house, gym

Medium length ponytails: Date nights

Long ponytails: Special events

There is a pony for every occasion! :drunk:

I am going to slather my ends nightly with grease or Shea butter and not cut my ends until the end of the year. I am also taking iron, msm and collagen supplement for hair growth. I’m shooting for mid back length or waist length which is a crazy goal since I’m just arm pit length but I think I can do it!

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
And Zury human hair ponies are trash after you wash them. the turn into a useless wavy texture. Sticking to my synthetics for short ponies and ali express for long ones.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Here is my synthetic pony Sensationnel Synthetic Hair DrawString Ponytail Instant Pony in Coil . I picked it a little to make it look natural. It resembles my natural hair texture very much! It looks great in my usual low pony but will also give a nice puff look if I make a high bun. The size is great. Not too big not too small.

IMG_4123_2_50.jpg

naturalyogini

Got my front lace bob from myfirstwig. Haven't worn it yet. Futtzing with the ear tabs. Oy vey.

On another note, I bought a new lace melt spray. It comes in a kit with glue, remover, Edge hold, etc. So I try the spray. Watery. Running down my face. Finally got the lace to stick. Or so I thought. To be safe I carried my wig grip in my bag. I'm at work and my forehead feels cool. I keep working. Then my forehead and sides feel cold. I reached up and my wig had become unglued and slid back. Mind you, I'm completely grey around the front. I dash to the restroom
No one is there. Just as I snatch off my wig which was not glued on at all, a woman walks in. There I stand looking like uncle Fester, with my wig cap hanging off. I said you didn't see this. She said hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Needless to say, the kit went back to Amazon.
I bought a can of Got2B glued freeze spray. Let's see how that works.
By the way ain't no such thing as glue less. I don't care what those You Tubers say.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Its offical! Im using Curl activator sprays, cream and gels to moisturize my bun for my ponytail and I think its a game changer. I'm ditiching the baggy for the summer. I may revisit the butters and greases once the cold weather comes back.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm going to wear crochet braids for an event I'm going to then I'm going to straighten and trim my ends for a length check. After that its ponytails all year until I reach BSL.

NaturalEnigma

I brought a couple of wigs that I loved in the past but got raggedy on me. I don’t plan on wearing wigs in the summer cause it’s just too hot, but I do plan on wearing them in the fall and winter as my protective style.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Its offical! Im using Curl activator sprays, cream and gels to moisturize my bun for my ponytail and I think its a game changer. I'm ditiching the baggy for the summer. I may revisit the butters and greases once the cold weather comes back.
Ok I’m back to the baggy. Last week was a fluke. These ends need grease! plus my hair was leaving my pillowcases and durag a little greasy too. I switched to using As I Am Double butter cream with the baggy and if I remember correctly it doesn’t go “sour”. I will be back to moisturizing and sealing daily but I’m looking for a way to make the process predictable

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Ok I’m back to the baggy. Last week was a fluke. These ends need grease! plus my hair was leaving my pillowcases and durag a little greasy too. I switched to using As I Am Double butter cream with the baggy and if I remember correctly it doesn’t go “sour”. I will be back to moisturizing and sealing daily but I’m looking for a way to make the process predictable

So, this is one of my concerns as well. How to keep the bun/ponytail moisturized. I've been looking back at some of the old jheri juice, WNG, and bun threads and noticed some common themes

1. Moisture must be trapped in BEFORE leaving the water. Not everyone mentioned it, but it seems that applying leave-in/detangler/moisturizer while in the shower really kept hair softer for longer.

2. Add styler to hair and then do the style. Sounds simple enough but this order does make a difference. Regardless of the styler you are using, apply all over your hair and then make your bun/ponytail. I would try to make the ponytail first and then apply gel. No wonder my hair look crazy and was always dry. I also think this is why I failed at damp bunning.

3. If you want to use an oil or grease, wait until hair is dry and use sparingly. Most people mentioned wanting to 'soften' the hard cast from the styler as the reason for adding oil. Since the hair was already moisturized in the first 2 steps, sealing was not necessary but some mentioned wanting movement so they only used enough oil/grease to break the cast.

I used these techniques for the past 2 washes and so far, so good. I have only used creams for my hair though. When the weather warms up, I will try the jheri juice and a gel so we'll see then.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So, this is one of my concerns as well. How to keep the bun/ponytail moisturized. I've been looking back at some of the old jheri juice, WNG, and bun threads and noticed some common themes

1. Moisture must be trapped in BEFORE leaving the water. Not everyone mentioned it, but it seems that applying leave-in/detangler/moisturizer while in the shower really kept hair softer for longer.

2. Add styler to hair and then do the style. Sounds simple enough but this order does make a difference. Regardless of the styler you are using, apply all over your hair and then make your bun/ponytail. I would try to make the ponytail first and then apply gel. No wonder my hair look crazy and was always dry. I also think this is why I failed at damp bunning.

3. If you want to use an oil or grease, wait until hair is dry and use sparingly. Most people mentioned wanting to 'soften' the hard cast from the styler as the reason for adding oil. Since the hair was already moisturized in the first 2 steps, sealing was not necessary but some mentioned wanting movement so they only used enough oil/grease to break the cast.

I used these techniques for the past 2 washes and so far, so good. I have only used creams for my hair though. When the weather warms up, I will try the jheri juice and a gel so we'll see then.
I like these points!

I will also try to remember not to use grease on wash day and not to saturate hair with too much leave in on wash days so that the hair doesnt stay soaking wet in the bun when baggying

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What a super cute wig! I've not heard of i-wigs before but they are much more promising than u-wigs for me. Time to go research.

***Disclaimer: I watch all YT videos on mute so I have no idea about music, loudness or crassness. lol

I just bought a kinky curly half wig

alove15

Yes, please post! Also looking at bob wigs for summer!

Still PS with a yaki straight closure wig. My routine right now:
-Weekly wash day
-Twist with foam (for under wig)
-Apply satin wig cap
-Secure wig each morning with ebin spray (black can)
-Remove nightly

naturalyogini

-Weekly wash day
-Apply satin wig cap
-Remove nightly

naturalyogini

-Weekly wash day
-Apply satin wig cap
-Remove nightly
Do you use the Ebin supreme hold? What do you use to remove your wig? I have to remove mine as soon as I get in the house so my head can breathe. Lol

Napp

Ms. Nobody
My wig is coming on Monday! I dont know what style to choose for the summer.

My new Human hair half wig
Jumbo crochet passion twist
Or my Ride or die ponytails

I've been sticking to one style so I might change it up this summer but I don't want to loose the length retention momentum I'm having.

abioni

-Weekly wash day
-Apply satin wig cap
-Remove nightly

Been looking for a yaki straight wig. Do you have a link to where you bought yours?

BonBon

Nevermind. Found the info on Youtube.

Just received my kinky curly bundles and will be making a wig today, or tomorrow.

My hair is doing well in flat twists. Though the front of the twists were too narrow because I have a little short patch at the front -_-. Need to baby it and change the pattern.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
after putting my hair in a style that lays more flat my new half wig looks great. i washed and conditioned it , put some gel and styled with my Felicia leatherwood brush. it looks pretty natural but I wish I got 150% density because I can see some tracks. I also wish I got a shorter length too because I want something off my shoulders. I just left a little of my hairline out and it looks great. I will take a break fro my ponyails and wear the wig for the next two weeks and then ill install some crochet passion twists for my vaycay.