Why Won't my Hair Shine?

CurlyCoilycourt

I have been trying different products and doing research but I'm still at a stand still :nono:
I have use coconut oils and gels and pomade (Darcy's) and clarified with a sls free shampoo and nothing seems to work...with that being said my hair is very soft to the touch but I dislike the fact that it remains dull.

Any advice or suggestions I truly appreciate it Oh I am natural 3c/4a btw TIA

Mrsptaylor

Have you tried The Jane Carter Solution's 'Nourish and Shine'? My hair often looks dull but it has a lot more shine since I've been using it over the last month.

Austro-Afrikana

I started using Darcy's coconut cupuacu butter about a month ago and my hair's sheen has really improved, I love that product, Also I added a bit of honey to my glycerin water spray bottle that may be helping with sheen.

(Curly hair can have sheen but not so much shine)

LovingLady

Type 4 hair normally don't have shine but it does have sheen. Sealing your hair with oil should help with the sheen.

CurlyCoilycourt

Have you tried The Jane Carter Solution's 'Nourish and Shine'? My hair often looks dull but it has a lot more shine since I've been using it over the last month.

I tried this while I was transitioning over a year ago I want to revisit but hate the price!

I started using Darcy's coconut cupuacu butter about a month ago and my hair's sheen has really improved, I love that product, Also I added a bit of honey to my glycerin water spray bottle that may be helping with sheen.

(Curly hair can have sheen but not so much shine)

I swear I was just on that website and looking at that maybe I will give it a try, how do you use it? That makes sense about having sheen not shine I didnt think that way I stalk to many fotkis and wonder how they get those results (type 4s included)

tricie

Bumping for you...my transitioning hair doesn't shine much either, but as previously stated, it might not ever! Wah! :)

Austro-Afrikana

I swear I was just on that website and looking at that maybe I will give it a try, how do you use it? That makes sense about having sheen not shine I didnt think that way I stalk to many fotkis and wonder how they get those results (type 4s included)

I use it to seal in the moisture from my spritz (water/ glycerin/ honey) on wash day and then just use it to seal my ends daily. I'll add more all over my hair during the week as my head scarf absorbs more and more of the oils lol. Btw It smells soooo soooo nice, like toffee :lick:

WhipEffectz1

If this helps you out a bit.....I'm mostly 4a and my hair has killer shine when it is straightened (blow dryed or flatironed), most of the time with not too much products. However, in its natural state, its nothing but a sheen look at best.

Nonie

If this helps you out a bit.....I'm mostly 4a and my hair has killer shine when it is straightened (blow dryed or flatironed), most of the time with not too much products. However, in its natural state, its nothing but a sheen look at best.

Exactly. Curly hair doesn't reflect light as well as straight hair and the tighter the curls the less it reflects light.

I am 4B and my hair looks dull when not straight:

But straighten it and it has a bit of a bling: