Dry looking hair...

ComfortablyNumb

I have what I bel.ieve is 3b/3c hair...The thing is, it lacks the natural shine that most people with this hair type have. Unless I straighten it, it looks very dull. I have tried serums and oils but none give me the type of shine I am looking forI was wondering does anybody have any suggestions on getting the shiny curls i'm looking for.

E

EgyptianSand16

my hair dosen't have shine, but sheen i guess. Try applying a little olive oil to your hair when its dry avoiding the roots

Tgirl

I use a little jojoba oil when I roller set. I think I get the same effect as egyptiansand. A sort of shine/sheen.

ComfortablyNumb

I've tried olive oil and it still looks dry...thing is, it isn't dry...touch it and it feels moist. I haven't tried jojoba oil. i thought kemi oyl would do the trick but when my hair is natural it won't work either. My hair doesn't have shine or sheen...I might dye my hair another color...that could help...Maybe black...any other suggestions?

Jade21

ComfortablyNumb,

Have you ever tried meadowfoam seed oil? It gives tremendous shine. You can purchase it at Natureswildchild.com

What color is your hair? Is it light brown or even lighter? I have a friend who's hair is a very coppery brown with some blonde highlights and she has problems with REAL shine, too.

~Jade~

Chichi

Have you tried a henna/hennalucent treatment? I heard that the second application will give great results. Maybe try it as a base, then try the other tips on this thread. Good luck!

Chichi

ComfortablyNumb

I tried henna and it didn't really work for me all the way around. No extra shine, no loosening...nothing, really. But I haven't tried the meadowfoam seed oil...sounds interesting. It isn't light brown or anything but it has a reddish overtone to it that usually just makes my hair look like i haven't washed it in a while.

mirrormirror

Ultra Sheen coditioning hairdress (extra dry hair formula) is really good. It gives you an awesome sheen, I personally dont like shiny hair, but I do like sheen. It basically looks like hair grease, but its not greasy at all.

Tracy

And then there's ALWAYS a quick application of Sebastian Colorshines in Clear..
or Golden Walnut
or Honey Wheat
or......

Nacai23

When was the last time that you clarified your hair? I have 3c natural hair that's silky. I clarify my hair once a month. The same day that I clarify, I do the protein treatment, then a deep moisturizing treatment. After all that, I twist my hair using mango butter (elasta qp) and EVOO. My twist outs come out very shiny and silky. No dry ends or dull hair.

I have the same problem. I have tried rinsing my hair and coloring to achieve some shine but it all fades away. I don't want my hair to be greasy looking, I just want a natural sheen.

VALLEYGIRL

Hi ComfortablyNumb
you say unless you straighten it...are you wearing it out and curly? Have you tried using a gel when your hair is wet?
The gel I use is what gives my hair the shine when I wear it out and curly.
a few of my favorites are
VO5 gels, Vital Care Gel (the pink one), Fantasia IC gel with sparlelites (very very good for shine) and Pantene gel for curly hair.
Serums never worked for me either and I only use oil when I wear my hair straight..gel is teh only thing that works for hold as well as shine for me.

ComfortablyNumb

Hello again everybody!

I clarify my hair every now and again, every few weeks or so...I think the last time was 2 weeks ago.

I am currently wearing a wash and go type style, pretty much just doing that-wash and go, I'll have to try a gel...I've had bad experiences with gels before so I really didn't even think of that but it may be time to give it a go.

azul11

oh you said no oil i was about to say maybe some coconut oil. i have the same problem and that plus a serum seems to keep the shine without the greasy feel for me. God bless you all.

ComfortablyNumb

i've tried coconut oil as well, which works great on my pressed hair, but natural it doesnt look so hot and sits on top of my hair...starting to miss cooler days so I can press my hair out.

Orc

I would suggest Phytospecific Beauty Styling Cream.
It is for normal to dry hair contains shea butter and jojoba to condition, hydrate and protect the hair while wheat germ oil and essential fatty acids fortify the hair shaft. That what it says.
I swear by it. it is a bit costly but it is worth the money.
It is especially formulated for natural coarse and relaxed hair.
But if you are not after the greasy look then this product is not for you.
Orc