Why switch from no lye to lye relaxers?

nodisrespect

I see more people advocating for lye relaxers, which, IIUC, are stronger and therefore harsher on the hair. I don't know all that much about the benefits/backdraws but I am thinking of switching to lye because no matter how long I leave on a no lye I can't seem to get my hair anything more than texturized looking. What should I expect if I switch? Or would I be better off to just stay with no lye? I saw someone say something about trying to grow off no-lye ends after switching to lye in the same manner of transitioning/relaxed ends...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Lye relaxers are not stronger. In fact, they are much less drying to the hair than a no-lye relaxer. No-lye relaxers are easier on the scalp, but harsher on the hair. Also, per Shamboosie's book, the hair is harder to moisturize after a no-lye because no-lye relaxers "lock" the hair and lock moisture out and a lye relaxer does not.

The Princess

Well, I just relax with a Lye relaxer, and I immediately saw a difference, my hair felt moisturize, and very soft, and I really didn't have to put much on it afterwards. When I used to relax with No Lye, my hair will feel limp, dry and dull, and had to put all this moisturzizers stuff on it to make it look and feel soft. Its a difference. My hair is now, very soft. However I was using No lye for a long time, just have do more stuff to it. Lye is not that bad on the scalp, you just have to make sure you base your scalp good, which I did and I wasn't burning at all. So my fear using lye relaxers is behind me now. Now I just have to find a Lye that straighens the way I want it too. My first lye didn't turn out to good.

yuriko

You can switch at your next scheduled relaxer, the difference is not that drastic IMO, but I do agree, no lye leaves my hair dry, brittle and discolored. lye burns, but i think it encourages me to wash it out and not over-process, which is a good thing

FluffyRed

I switched to Lye. I didn't wait.

Benefits
-my hair feels stronger.
-Premixed, so I don't have to throw out what I don't use - less wasteful
-Mizani butter blends fine/color treated Lye is easier to rinse out than Gentle Treatment
-I don't end up with chemical burns on my scalp any more.
I definitely had to base the scalp.

Drawbacks
-Hair is not as easily straightened with this particular lye relaxer, though. (I have to adjust the time i leave it on. It's still a little more textured, but I can tolerate that)

Amerie123

good thread OP, because i have been trying to figure this one out myself. very useful information, and thanks to all those that posted.

prettytee0180

I would recommend the Vitale lye relaxers. I use the Concorde, and I have excellent results with it. There is definitely a difference between the two.

flowinlocks

Actually in the salon no lye relaxers are what we call the no lye, lie. It does contain lye, just a different form . Lye relaxers contain sodium hydroxide, while the so called no lyes contain calcium hydroxide, which leaves calcium build up on the hair. This is why the hair is usually straight but hard after a no lye relaxer.

SoOoNY

This is a GREAT thread... I used ORS No-Lye since everyone raves about it but my hair is feeling slightly different than it usually does...

Im tryin to be a DIY'er but my Hairstylist used to use Affirm. My next touch up in Jan i was thinking about using the ORS Lye but I am texlaxed and I didnt wanna overprocess... My hair loves the lye... smh... had to learn the hard way

MonPetite

I switched back and forth in the past with no issues.

My hair flourished with both but Lye killed my scalp. I have had no problems with keeping soft, shiny, no-lye hair in the past. I didn't know that was a problem for people until I came here to LHCF. :lachen:

Using a chelating poo monthly aids no-lyers and of course upping moisture. It's easier to me to add moisture than protein to keep my hair on my head. But I co-wash and wash daily and DC at least once a week. So it may be that my regimen works well with no-lye, more so than no-lye is fool proof for certain heads and not others.

Good thread, OP. :drunk: