Do any naturals STRETCH??

CurliDiva

I know that all of the relaxed ladies are familiar with the concept of stretching (or spacing out) their touch ups for maximum strand health and retention... but my question is do any natural ladies STRETCH (the duration wtihout heat) straightening their hair for the same reasons.

Do you see any benefits spacing out applying heat? Any damage from regular use of heat for styling?

If so, how long do you strech (or space out) your heat application?

right now, i stretch 6 months at a time....i only plan to apply heat to check my length. i'm doing it to try to avoid heat damage and thicken up my hair.... i'll have to let you know later how it works out...

but, once i reach my goal, i plan to apply a little more often

camellia

Yes, once I stopped using heat my hair's condition improved dramatically.

I used heat twice last year. I may use it a few times tis year, probably several months apart.

so1913

the other day was the first time in over two years that i went without straightening my hair. Even this time, I only did half my hair to try out the maxiglide. I suffered heat damage during my transition to natural, so I definitely saw an improvement not using heat over the past 2 years.

cutiebe2

im doing a stretch until graduation (I have been no heat for 1 year!!!). Once I reach my goal of graduation I probably won't but dates on my heat use but just try to avoid it all together as much as possible

locabouthair

i wore my hair natural for about a year. when i first started wearing my hair natural i was SO determined not to get a press. even when i was frustrated with my hair and didn't know what to do with it. straigtening it was out of the question for me. I went six months without using heat on my hair. honestly when i did straightened my hair i saw no progress.it seems like not using heat didn't help my hair. of course it didnt impact my hair negatively but my hair didnt retain any length and my ends got thinner. they were so see through that i was so ashamed to wear my hair down. i had to apply some curl to it to camoflouge the thinness. i wore twistouts and cornrows for those 6 months.

im relaxed now and i havent used direct heat for 6 months and i havent seen any progress. i know heat damages hair and prevents you from retaining length but abstaining from it hasn't benefitted me relaxed or natural.

ChocoKitty

I usually do it about every other week in the colder months. Then, most of the summer I wear my hair natural. Right now with bootcmap--I stretching until the end of March at least. Then I'll straighten to see where I am.:)

Cichelle

I am currently on a stretch that has lasted years. I gave up heat before I transitioned. I am thinking about using a flat iron once this year, either in the summer or towards the end of the year. But I don't think I'll ever become a regular heat user again. It'll be once or twice a year, if at all.

lana

When I was natural I stretched the longest for 5 months without heat. My hair grew like normal, not using heat did seem to allow my hair to thicken up a little, but I'm a 4a/b with thick hair already...so I can't say I was pleased (lol).

Since I like to wear my hair straight most of the time, I went ahead and texlaxed. Now I use WAY less heat, experience less breakage from styling and appliances and I'm able to retain length better. I can even use a water based moisturizer and not see much reversion and wear my hair curly if I want...oh wait I'm getting off subject. Sorry, to answer your question, yes I stretched while natural and no, didn't really notice that it did much to benefit my hair.

glamazon386

I've only had heat on my hair 3 times in the past yr. I don't wear my hair straight generally, so I don't get the urge to use it. If I want a straight style I wear a fall.

GoingNatural

When I relaxed I only used heat once every two weeks and it was minimal. I air dryed and then useda low heat blow dryer and then curled with a curling iron

I have not used heat since July 2006. I think I decided to transition in April (not sure) and one I realized my hair would not stay straight for long I decided to stay away from heat so that I would not end up using heat a lot.

So I guess you can say I am on an 18 month no-heat stretch? I plan on getting my hair blow dried and flat ironed in Jan 08 to see my progress.

llpru

I usually straighten my hair every 2-3 months. I was trying to stretch from Dec. 06 to May 07, but I went to DC over the weekend and wanted to look cute with straight hair. lol. I definitely notice a difference from when I used heat every 2 weeks to now. My hair is a lot healthier.

blazingthru

I don't use heat. I am getting my hair pressed or whatever you call it in April for my annivesary it will be one year and i want to take my picture before it gets cut. I haven't had a trim since that time. I might have to then but yes I planned to give up heat for a year . I blew or tried to blow out my hair once and tried to straighten it once but got tired thats the end of my heat adventures. I am going to the dominicans and get a blow and press and that will be it until the next six months are so.

caligirl

I stretch for 3 months, mostly to check the length of my hair. When I get tired of wearing my hair natural, I like to get twists or a rod set just so I can feel that my hair is "done."

GoldenBreeze

In Aug. 2006 I decided to start using less heat in my hair. Previous to that I used heat to straighten 2 - 4 times a month. The last time that I straightened was Jan. 2007 to check for lenght gained since Sept. 2006. My hair was healthier in Jan, and I had retained more length than I usually would in a 5 month period. I think that reducing heat straightening was beneficial for my hair. I don't know how long I will continue this regimen, but I plan to only use heat 2 - 3 times a year for a while.

Last edited:

firecracker

I guess you can call it stretching. When I was natural for a year and a half (prior to texturizing 8/06). I got my hair pressed twice and since I texturized I have been pressed twice.
I plan on pressing no more than four times a year sparingly because I am afraid of heat damage to my texturized curls.

CurliDiva

Although I want to see my length, I want to wait until I reach my 2-year mark before using heat!

I'm afraid to start somethimg that could harm my hair.:perplexed

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I press once a year. Everytime I press I use products to help protect so I'm not worried about damage per se. But everytime I press I go two weeks without moisturizing my hair (I only use oils) and I think doing that lets say, every two weeks, would damage my hair.

I have a cousin with 3b/c hair and she's been pressing her hair every two weeks during the winter and her hair has gotten really thin.

Other than that I stretch cause I'm lazy and flatironing my hair takes forever.

chocolate01

No, I don't stretch. I blowdry my hair before doing my twists usually 1-2x a month and use my maxiglide occasionally.

WhipEffectz1

I go anywhere from 2-4 months without heat. I really don't have a set amount of time that I will wait. I do what works for ME and my hair is responding just fine.

Last edited:

gloomgeisha

I haven't used heat in the two years that I've been natural (it'll be officially two years next month.) I always want to press it out to see how long it is, I'm just too darn lazy.

healthyhairin07

bmoreflyygirl said:
I've only had heat on my hair 3 times in the past yr. I don't wear my hair straight generally, so I don't get the urge to use it. If I want a straight style I wear a fall.

What's a fall?

I've used heat a few times this year. Before then, I wouldn't use heat at all. In the summer I'd like to go without heat completely. I think because of the heat and sweating it'll be difficult to keep a straight hairstyle. In the fall and winter, I plan to straighten my hair once a month.

Last edited:

WhipEffectz1

healthyhairin07 said:
What's a fall?

I've used heat a few times this year. Before then, I wouldn't use heat at all. In the summer I'd like to go without heat completely. I think because of the heat and sweating it'll be difficult to keep a straight hairstyle. In the fall and winter, I plan to straighten my hair once a month.

A half wig. Most of the time it looks really natural because you can leave part of your hair out to cover up the front of the wig. It comes with comes in the front and back to secure it. Most of the time if you put it on right and cover it with a piece of your hair, people think its your real hair.

ladylibra

i'd say i fall under this category... this year, i used heat 3 times because i had layers cut back into my hair. but usually, just once or twice a year, to see growth and to have straight hair for a week or so. i love my coils but i like to switch it up every now and then... :D